unrealistic expectations

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems alot of fans have unrealistic expectations of the packers coaching staff and front office.

I hear "we need to switch to 4-3!" or "We need Jimmy Graham!" or "We need to make a big splash in Free Agency!" or "Why is Ted so CHEAP?!?"

switch to 4-3 - not going to marginalize our best defensive player

Jimmy Graham - Fine, then say goodbye to Cobb, Nelson, and Jones. We cant afford Graham. Come back to me when reality sets in.

Big splash FA - Who? How do you plan on paying for that? Who do you plan on not resigning in the future?

Ted cheap - no proof of this.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
switch to 4-3 - not going to marginalize our best defensive player

I'm not completely sold on a switch to the 4-3, but this is just patently false. Is Von Miller "marginalized" in Denver's defense?

There's no reason why Clay couldn't thrive in a 4-3 defense.

I know that guys like Datone, Perry, Raji, Daniels, and maybe even Neal would welcome the chance to actually attack rather than sit back and sumo wrestle with 330 lb offensive lineman and/or split out and cover the Victor Cruz's of the world.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems alot of fans have unrealistic expectations of the packers coaching staff and front office.

Big splash FA - Who? How do you plan on paying for that? Who do you plan on not resigning in the future?

Don't want a big splash FA. Want a warm body that can compete with the likes of MD Jennings and Brad Jones. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Who don't I want to resign? I'd like to get in a time machine and not resign Morgan Burnett and Brad Jones. I don't want to resign BJ Raji at 8 million a year. The only reason that hasn't happened is because he came down with a temporary fit of insanity and wouldn't sign on the dotted line. We just lucked out there.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want a big splash FA. Want a warm body that can compete with the likes of MD Jennings and Brad Jones. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Who don't I want to resign? I'd like to get in a time machine and not resign Morgan Burnett and Brad Jones. I don't want to resign BJ Raji at 8 million a year. The only reason that hasn't happened is because he came down with a temporary fit of insanity and wouldn't sign on the dotted line. We just lucked out there.

Don't always believe those reports, it might sounds surprising to some but these things get "leaked" by agents trying to drive up value and price.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't always believe those reports, it might sounds surprising to some but these things get "leaked" by agents trying to drive up value and price.

You're probably right. I find it hard to believe he actually turned down 8 million a year.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not completely sold on a switch to the 4-3, but this is just patently false. Is Von Miller "marginalized" in Denver's defense?

There's no reason why Clay couldn't thrive in a 4-3 defense.

I know that guys like Datone, Perry, Raji, Daniels, and maybe even Neal would welcome the chance to actually attack rather than sit back and sumo wrestle with 330 lb offensive lineman and/or split out and cover the Victor Cruz's of the world.

I probably shouldn't have just said the clay thing as the sole reason. It's also pointless to switch without a plan. I just hear "let's switch" with no other planning beyond that. A scheme change isn't going to make this a top 5 defense.

Clay would be expected to rush the passer less and go into coverage more. Or they would expect him to put his hand in the dirt (think Aaron Kampman)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for a reasonable offseason signing but it's not my top priority. My concern is cobb Nelson shields bulaga. I want the money there to resign those guys.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for a reasonable offseason signing but it's not my top priority. My concern is cobb Nelson shields bulaga. I want the money there to resign those guys.

No real sure Bulaga belongs in that same conversation. His second year he was terrific at RT. However, his third year he was terrible the first half and good the second half. His first year he was just bad. So overall he's had a bad year, great year and average year. Honestly think that if Sherrod or Bahk work out at LT next year and Barclay improves slightly at RT that it might make more sense to give Bulaga's money to another guy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with the idea that some fans have unrealistic expectations. Not only about player acquisitions without considering the consequences but also with the idea that the Packers winning a title three years ago was a long time ago. Even a brief study of NFL history will tell you how often even the most successful franchises win titles. That's not to say Thompson, McCarthy and staffs should rest on their laurels; it is to say every other franchise has assets to pursue a title every season. We used to say, 'they're (meaning the opposition) on scholarship too'.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No real sure Bulaga belongs in that same conversation. His second year he was terrific at RT. However, his third year he was terrible the first half and good the second half. His first year he was just bad. So overall he's had a bad year, great year and average year. Honestly think that if Sherrod or Bahk work out at LT next year and Barclay improves slightly at RT that it might make more sense to give Bulaga's money to another guy.
Very possible. I'm not in favor of paying big money for o line anyways so I would be very happy if we kept it reasonable

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure this is the thread for this but I disagree. In Bulaga’s rookie season, Tauscher got hurt in the fourth game and Bulaga replaced him and started every game from the fifth on. He was named to the NFL All-Rookie team and one thing we can say for certain is that Bulaga’s first year at RT was good enough to win a title.

If Bulaga is 100% healthy they need him. IMO Barclay, although he is a try-hard guy, is not a starting NFL OT. My guess is he would be best suited as an OG, perhaps the #3 OG and #4 OT. I think Bakhtiari can gain enough strength to be a legit LT and if not, a starting RT. Sherrod is a huge question mark. I think Bulaga has had about one-half of a season of bad play. But we’ve seen him succeed and be good at RT. I don’t think they can afford to lose him.

Last edited:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with the idea that some fans have unrealistic expectations. Not only about player acquisitions without considering the consequences but also with the idea that the Packers winning a title three years ago was a long time ago. Even a brief study of NFL history will tell you how often even the most successful franchises win titles. That's not to say Thompson, McCarthy and staffs should rest on their laurels; it is to say every other franchise has assets to pursue a title every season. We used to say, 'they're (meaning the opposition) on scholarship too'.

YEP! Said it a million times now. Us fans want Superbowl wins every year or we complain about something that's broke or we have to blame somebody. This Packers just won another division crown. I'd like to see some little changes like we talked about there's no reason to think we need to blow things up.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YEP! Said it a million times now. Us fans want Superbowl wins every year or we complain about something that's broke or we have to blame somebody. This Packers just won another division crown. I'd like to see some little changes like we talked about there's no reason to think we need to blow things up.

Since Rodgers took over who has been as consistent as us? New Orleans and the pats? Steelers are mess now. Colts had a bad season but are pretty close. Maybe I'm missing someone.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on some of the points, but I don't understand it every time the argument is made that we are somehow going to base our entire defensive scheme around an irrational fear of marginalizing Matthews.

Matthews can play in a 4-3. He's done it before. Capers has coached a 4-3 before. 3-4's can be tweaked to include 4-3 and vise-versa. We get too caught up in the idea of 3-4 vs. 4-3. Matthews is an excellent athlete when healthy and would succeed just fine in a 4-3 role. Just because it didn't work out with Aaron Kampman doesn't mean that it's going to be a disaster every time.

Now, they shouldn't do a 4-3 just for the sake of doing so. Maybe they shouldn't do it at all. But they should look at all their personnel and try to scheme of how they can best put them in a position to succeed, not just say "nope, nothing is changing" just because of Matthews.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Rodgers took over who has been as consistent as us? New Orleans and the pats? Steelers are mess now. Colts had a bad season but are pretty close. Maybe I'm missing someone.
This is the 3rd straight year the 49ers have at least made it to the NFC Championship game.
Aside from that one Super Bowl run behind Charles Woodson, we've won just one playoff game in Rodgers time here.
As great as Rodgers has been.
Think about that. Might make you sad.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the 3rd straight year the 49ers have at least made it to the NFC Championship game.
Aside from that one Super Bowl run behind Charles Woodson, we've won just one playoff game in Rodgers time here.
As great as Rodgers has been.
Think about that. Might make you sad.

What do they have to show for it? That shiny NFC champion ring?

Look at the giants, great run, where are they now?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But they should look at all their personnel and try to scheme of how they can best put them in a position to succeed, not just say "nope, nothing is changing" just because of Matthews.

Article posted two days ago Capers said what you just made mention of

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/...e-a-switch-back-to-the-4-3.49941/#post-538230
Capers said the Packers first must see who they have. "And then we'll design what we do based off what our group is going to be," Capers said. "You're always hoping you can get a group together, keep them healthy and have them play together.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...of-packers-defense-b99180291z1-239362171.html

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big part of our defensive struggles as of late has been a lack of experience. There's a reason why **** Lebeau was hesitant against allowing rookies to play in his defense- It's because it takes time for them to get it. We've been in the unfortunate situation where we've been force to play rookies before they're ready. With the volume of relatively "New" talent we have, it shouldn't be too much longer before we can build the kind of defense that can play consistently.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do they have to show for it? That shiny NFC champion ring?

Look at the giants, great run, where are they now?

Still 1 more super bowl than the packers.

And look at the steelers, where are they now? I can play too.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then you missed the point.

We are consistent title contenders, they aren't.
As I said, this is the Niners 3rd straight NFC Title game.
In that same timespan, we've not won a single #playoff game.
And they've eliminated us the past 2 years.
Who's been the true title contenter among the 2?
We thought all along it was us.

#Solo win over Joe Webb's Minnesota Vikings officially counts, but that's it.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said, this is the Niners 3rd straight NFC Title game.
In that same timespan, we've not won a single #playoff game.
And they've eliminated us the past 2 years.
Who's been the true title contenter among the 2?
We thought all along it was us.

#Solo win over Joe Webb's Minnesota Vikings officially counts, but that's it.

Again... put it in the spin cycle twist it all up, shake well and stir and what are we left with? The Packers are the 5th winningest team over the past ten years. Few Packer fans think everything is "perfect" because it's not, but 27 teams out of 32 have not won as many games as the Pack going back 10 years. As another said on here a while back, only a..ahem..."fool" would ignore those winning percentage facts.

Maybe the question is, would Packer fans rather mortgage the future for a better shot at one Superbowl, or win the division and get in the playoffs every year and see what happens? Cuz... the facts are all there. Look at the top 5 teams in winning percentage. None of the top 5 teams are teams that play hard in free agency.

Members online

Latest posts