Ty Mont's Future in Green Bay

H

HardRightEdge

We may have to pull Captain in for this one, but I would be interested to know how many NFL WR's have been successfully converted fully to the RB position in the past. Obviously, defining the term "successfully" is subjective and still by no means am I implying Monty is there yet. But it sure looks like RB will become his new full time position and its going to be fun to see how his career there plays out.
That's a tough get. Maybe in college ball.

The other way around? That's equally rare. I can think of Bobby Mitchell switching from HB to flanker. Marshall Faulk would split out and run WR routes, not just slot standard fare.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

The other way around? That's equally rare. I can think of Bobby Mitchell switching from HB to flanker. Marshall Faulk would split out and run WR routes, not just slot standard fare.

Exactly, I can't think of anyone making the full switch from WR to RB in the NFL and being successful. It seems we are in unchartered waters and its really going to be fun to watch. The media is already running with it any chance they can get.

H

HardRightEdge

On the pre-game show, they talked about how Ty was a RB in high school but moved to WR in college because it was a pass-happy scheme. His heart and entire body have been about running the ball. We just lucked out that this was our need and haven't lost any of our top WRs to injury this season.
It's also a fortunate set of circumstances in that he has difficulty tracking deep balls and was stuck behind Cobb at the slot position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not that I think he's Marshall Faulk, but he's the name I keep thinking of when I think of the impact Ty can have on this offense with his ability to be used anywhere in the field effectively

H

HardRightEdge

Not that I think he's Marshall Faulk, but he's the name I keep thinking of when I think of the impact Ty can have on this offense with his ability to be used anywhere in the field effectively
Let's not get carried away. Faulk was arguably the greatest dual-threat player since Gayle Sayers. Faulk was also one of the smartest players to have taken the field. He had QB-level understanding of the offense and opponents. It also didn't hurt that he could run 4.35.

H

HardRightEdge

Exactly, I can't think of anyone making the full switch from WR to RB in the NFL and being successful. It seems we are in unchartered waters and its really going to be fun to watch. The media is already running with it any chance they can get.
The creation of an NFL running back is an exercise in attrition. Guys who can get through 750 runs in college and finish intact have by gift or knack the ability to take a licking and keep on ticking. As hard as Montgomery engages tacklers, durability remains an open book.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Hate is an ugly term used by the intolerant or ignorant when their points are questioned because they can't handle debate. Urging patience or lobbying for a larger sample size before anointing him the next "best ever" does not equate to hate.
It was performances similar to Ty's yesterday that earned Samkon Gado that long term contract and invite to Canton. Roell Preston is in his same class. [/sarcasm] Good thing we didn't bench or trade Rodgers after Matt Flynn destroyed Detroit in his one breakout game. Monster performances like Ty's recent one, especially in contract years, are what doom average teams to cap hell with dead cap money because the player does not earn in in subsequent seasons. Here's the best two games of a recent young WR playing on a one year deal. Note these are with backup QBs. Has he earned a better deal? Wouldn't these stats make him the next star? There were those here at the time that thought so. Time proved him to be a flash in the pan.
Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD
10 . . 8. . 103 12.88 1
13 . . .8. . 112 14.00 0

Just can't get on board with comparing Ty to the slop guys you put forth. Hate is too strong a word, but, some of you folks are dragging Ty through the mud for some unknown reason.

Gado, Preston and Boykin were all undrafted I believe. Flynn and Starks were 6th or 7th round guys. Very few talent evaluators put much stock in these guys to ever amount to much in the NFL.

Ty, however, was a 3rd round pick (top 100) when he was drafted, and highly regarded for his athletic traits coming into the league. It is not blind optimism for Packer fans to hold out hope that Ty is going to be a good RB going forward. It is perfectly reasonable to expect a solid return on that investment.

Your example of benching/trading Rodgers for Flynn makes no sense at all as a comparison. There is no RB ahead of Ty right now to "trade or bench", he's all we got. (Lacy, Starks & Michael are all FA's). And what does "contract year" and "cap hell" have to do with anything? Ty's not a FA until 2019.

[Worth noting that Favre was traded so Rodgers could play...guess we'd be stuck with Flynn at QB right now if you were the GM because you'd have never traded Favre? Because it would be "ignorant" to assume Rodgers might pan out as a good player, right? And remember, Rodgers had played in fewer games at that point than Ty has at this point. Just saying.]

Comparing Ty to Gado, Preston and Boykin is truly pessimistic and insulting. If you're that kind of fan, fine. Maybe it is you who needs "patience" before you compare Ty to a pile of garbage players and imply he is on the same path. Hate may be an ugly term, but, calling posters intolerant and ignorant isn't exactly friendly in my book.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The creation of an NFL running back is an exercise in attrition. Guys who can get through 750 runs in college and finish intact have by gift or knack the ability to take a licking and keep on ticking. As hard as Montgomery engages tacklers, durability remains an open book.

That was my fear when he was first being used at RB, much like what I always have had when seeing Cobb getting slammed into by 300# DLinemen. But so far so good on that experiment. Even the great RB's get hurt, but what has impressed me about Monty so far, is he usually jumps right up and looks ready for another run. Let's see if he can keep doing that if the caries increase. Which btw, I don't think they really need to, this is a pass oriented team. Yesterday seemed like the perfect balance of passing and running and with Michaels being able to spell Monty, I like where the Packers offense is currently at. With AR's injuries I think they are going to have to rely on quick, short routes and keep getting Cook more and more involved, Cobb as well.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a major advantage to be able to take a RB and motion him out against a lb and run basically any wr route. MM better not screw this up because you can literally move the ball against any defense if you use Montgomery and his versatility the correct way.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said MM didn't know how to use him? He was doing pretty well as a WR last year, at least he was getting going to where we could see the play making ability and he was out for the season. He was slow to get going again this year. And at the time we had 2 running backs with a decent track record. Since then he's been learning the position, and been brought along pretty well I'd say to this point. Sometimes players are successful because of the coaching too. Coaches do more than stifle a players growth and success sometimes.

But I suppose heading into this year, we all knew for a fact the WR position wasn't a concern so there should have been no plan to keep Ty at his WR where he showed a lot of promise, starting in OTA's. By training camp he should have been ready to supplant a very talented second round draft pick and we could have just traded Lacy for the 3 first round picks everyone would have been willing to give up for him.
... No, I don't think we should have settled for only 3 first rounders.... we should have traded him to the Vikings for those... plus their whole roster. I'm sure Eddy was worth a little more than Herschel Walker was.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not get carried away. Faulk was arguably the greatest dual-threat player since Gayle Sayers. Faulk was also one of the smartest players to have taken the field. He had QB-level understanding of the offense and opponents. It also didn't hurt that he could run 4.35.
I didn't say he was him. Ty's not as fast, Ty has more strength, and Ty is no dummy either, with about 1 season under his belt. I"m excited to see what he can do lining up all over the place.

I didn't say he was Faulk, or the 2nd coming, in any other way than the impact he could have with this offense. and I think he could. He's getting better as a runner, and I think it's more natural ability under there that's coming out with experience. There were more than a few times he's tucked in behind blockers and got the yards in a pile. He's also looked like he was about to get tackled and he bursts past or thru for a big gain. He also seems to be able to press a hole and set up blockers better each week too. Durability may be an issue, we'll find out. But i like the improvement every week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ty's durability at this point is what it is, not much different than any other RB in the NFL. If anything, he has some of the freshest legs in the NFL. I would be more worried if we were dangerously thin at WR and needed him there as well, but we aren't thin and really don't need him at WR. So I for one am going to stop worrying about his durability and hope that he has 6 good games still left in his tank.

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one like Eddie Lacy..he should have been able to rest his ankle on a short week(Thursday night against the Bears) He was basically forced in to playing on his ankle because TT didn't have another RB on the roster. I think Eddie got a major f*** job from TT in his contract year not having anyone else available. It's the NFL not middle school football Ted

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I for one like Eddie Lacy..he should have been able to rest his ankle on a short week(Thursday night against the Bears) He was basically forced in to playing on his ankle because TT didn't have another RB on the roster. I think Eddie got a major f*** job from TT in his contract year not having anyone else available. It's the NFL not middle school football Ted

I see that, but I also see a player that puts his food and drink ahead of his team. As much as I like(d) Eddie, I think his shortcomings were mostly self inflicted by his lack of discipline, dedication and an overall desire to make himself a better player and teammate.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Eddie got a major **** job from Eddie. His inability to control his weight and keep himself in shape has kept him from being effective last year and directly contributed to his injury again this year. Lots of skill players play on sprained ankles every week. Not many skill players tend to play on it at 260-270 lbs and try hurdling defenders.

Eddie needs to take better care of his body. Period

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you all are too harsh on Eddie. He did clean himself up with the P90X and started this season well. I think the injury is just unfortunate. He'll be back in a prove yourself 1 year contract next year. Letting him go will be a mistake.

I would play him and Michaels are primary backs and switch TyM between RB and WR as needed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think you all are too harsh on Eddie. He did clean himself up with the P90X and started this season well. I think the injury is just unfortunate. He'll be back in a prove yourself 1 year contract next year. Letting him go will be a mistake.

I would play him and Michaels are primary backs and switch TyM between RB and WR as needed.

He may have gone through the Tony Horton Program, but it didn't appear he stuck with it. Training and conditioning is an ongoing thing. Just buying a gym membership and going every day for a week, doesn't keep you in shape for a year.

While you may be correct and the Packers could possibly resign him on a prove it deal, such deal should be heavy on incentives. Even after that though, how do you trust Eddie will stay in shape on any future long term deal?

I am starting to think that Monty and Michaels may have just played Eddie right out of Green Bay.

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His durability and development is to be seen. Keep feeding him they ball and revisit this when we win the Superbowl :D. Until then, I'm enjoying the hell out of watching him. We lack explosive and dynamic offensive weapons so we need this dude.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may have gone through the Tony Horton Program, but it didn't appear he stuck with it. Training and conditioning is an ongoing thing. Just buying a gym membership and going every day for a week, doesn't keep you in shape for a year.

While you may be correct and the Packers could possibly resign him on a prove it deal, such deal should be heavy on incentives. Even after that though, how do you trust Eddie will stay in shape on any future long term deal?

I am starting to think that Monty and Michaels may have just played Eddie right out of Green Bay.

Where does the "not stuck with it" coming from? Last I recall watching him, he was running pretty well iirc. What did I miss?

Just 2 RBs is not sufficient depth. We need at least 3.

And isn't it way too early to trust the full next season on Michael? He's been cut by 5 teams in 3 years and we are his 6th employer. Pinning our hopes on him as primary back is a tad hasty imo.

H

HardRightEdge

Ty's durability at this point is what it is, not much different than any other RB in the NFL. If anything, he has some of the freshest legs in the NFL. I would be more worried if we were dangerously thin at WR and needed him there as well, but we aren't thin and really don't need him at WR. So I for one am going to stop worrying about his durability and hope that he has 6 good games still left in his tank.
I'm not that worried either if his touch count is reasonable.

H

HardRightEdge

And isn't it way too early to trust the full next season on Michael? He's been cut by 5 teams in 3 years and we are his 6th employer. Pinning our hopes on him as primary back is a tad hasty imo.
This Bears game is a microcosm of what you can expect from Michael. 3 carries for 3 yards, plus a 42 yarder. Same kinda deal in Seattle...the average was padded by the occasional long run. If you don't get a long run out of him in any particular game, you're not going to get much of anything at all.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Bears game is a microcosm of what you can expect from Michael. 3 carries for 3 yards, plus a 42 yarder. Same kinda deal in Seattle...the average was padded by the occasional long run. If you don't get a long run out of him in any particular game, you're not going to get much of anything at all.
The same was often said of Barry Sanders... and no... I am not saying he is anything comparable lol, but if Michael can be counted on to get a couple of those breakout runs in every game... we can live with a few 1 yard carries as well... it still forces the defense to respect the running game.

Members online

Latest posts