Ty Mont's Future in Green Bay

H

HardRightEdge

The same was often said of Barry Sanders
Yeah, and what did Barry Sanders ever win?

Oh, wait, you're comparing Michael to Sanders?

I'm confused again. ;)

Where's buttercup with another Le'Veon Bell comparison?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and what did Barry Sanders ever win?

Oh, wait, you're comparing Michael to Sanders?

I'm confused again. ;)

Where's buttercup with another Le'Veon Bell comparison?
reread the post... I'm assuming you responded while I was still writing

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not that worried either if his touch count is reasonable.

I just don't think the Packers offense is designed for a lot of carries from the RB position. Unless, we get a big lead. Even in that situation (Seattle and Chicag0) AR is going to keep passing. Now if AR is really hobbled, the Packers may have to decide......Hundley or Monty/Michaels

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Where does the "not stuck with it" coming from? Last I recall watching him, he was running pretty well iirc. What did I miss?

Just 2 RBs is not sufficient depth. We need at least 3.

And isn't it way too early to trust the full next season on Michael? He's been cut by 5 teams in 3 years and we are his 6th employer. Pinning our hopes on him as primary back is a tad hasty imo.

I don't think it was a big secret that Lacy had already gotten himself out of shape as well as put on some of the pounds he had lost last summer with Tony Horton. Was he playing better? I think so, but his durability and endurance suffered.

As far as # of backs, of course you don't start training camp with 2. I'm just not sure Lacy will be in the mix.

Sky King

Reaction score
I think he's looking better back there all the time. Can be moved to any position on the field to create mismatches for him or others. He's getting better at finding holes and getting thru them quickly. I too am waiting on a bigger sample size, but I have to say I like the way I'm seeing him run and he looks more the part every week, even without the big runs
Yeah. What's not to like?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same was often said of Barry Sanders... and no... I am not saying he is anything comparable lol, but if Michael can be counted on to get a couple of those breakout runs in every game... we can live with a few 1 yard carries as well... it still forces the defense to respect the running game.

That's very hit and miss for a primary back.

Sky King

Reaction score
Lacy is too big and Montgomery is too small. :coffee: Both have already been lost to injury and IR in their careers. Predicting a RB may get hurt is pretty much a sure thing.

Note: Smiley added for effect. The sarcasm was too subtle without it.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umm yes by definition lol.... I presume you meant to cast an opinion on its effectiveness as well ?

Ofc yeah. I won't mind Michael being the 3rd depth player who comes in rotation, plays lesser snaps but can get the breakup run. But I really don't think we have enough data to consider him as a primary back for next season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? There is no reason to take him out of the lineup. He's the NFL's most versatile back and arguably the strongest.

He gets better with every post from you. By next week he will be able to fly

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just can't get on board with comparing Ty to the slop guys you put forth. Hate is too strong a word, but, some of you folks are dragging Ty through the mud for some unknown reason.
Comparing Ty to Gado, Preston and Boykin is truly pessimistic and insulting. If you're that kind of fan, fine. Maybe it is you who needs "patience" before you compare Ty to a pile of garbage players and imply he is on the same path. Hate may be an ugly term, but, calling posters intolerant and ignorant isn't exactly friendly in my book.
I was responding to a poster that was advocating Ty as a top 5 RB now and any dispute of HIS opinion was just hatred towards Monty. My experience is anyone throwing out the term hate over a dispute is the same as saying "HERE IS MY OPINION. YOU ARE JUST WRONG .. drops the mike" which hits me as pigheaded.
The players I used were off the top of my head. At the time of their flashing through, people were hoping they were an uncovered gem of the likes of Donald Driver or Terrell Davis. A larger dataset proved them wrong. Until Ty has a longer game history he, at the moment, is still pretty much potential. I could have done research I guess to dig up Peyton Hillis 1177 yds 11 TDs to never crack 600 yds again or RG3 or Nick Foles or Matt Cassell. You know, can't miss after a breakout year. Forgot about first round pick Sydney Rice or fourth rounder Marcus Robinson. This is why I need to see more before anointing him a top 5 back. I also need to see him stay healthy as a RB. So far he's got 1/2 a season at the position.
As to Favre? I'd have been looking to move him about 2004-2005 while he had some roster restocking value.
You know what? After rereading this thread, what we have here is the transference of blind adoration from Janis to Montgomery. The advocates may have changed but the dogged attack of anyone that is questioning any facet of his play is the same.

Sky King

Reaction score
For those of you old enough to remember Montgomery may also remind you, too, of Sterling Sharpe after the catch. On occasion tacklers just seemed to bounce off of him while Sharpe seemed unfazed, hardly breaking stride. He was one tough SOB.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

I just don't think the Packers offense is designed for a lot of carries from the RB position. Unless, we get a big lead. Even in that situation (Seattle and Chicag0) AR is going to keep passing. Now if AR is really hobbled, the Packers may have to decide......Hundley or Monty/Michaels
If Hundley is forced to play, there's little left to discuss for this season.

H

HardRightEdge

Marshall Faulk was a back breaker. If used properly, Monty could do the same thing for us.
This is getting increasingly silly. Before we're done here every HOF running back who could catch a pass will be presented as a comparison.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is getting increasingly silly. Before we're done here every HOF running back who could catch a pass will be presented as a comparison.
He just had a 10ypc game, and is 6.5ypc on the season. As long as he keeps producing stats similar to that, then we can compare him to anyone we want. lol

H

HardRightEdge

He just had a 10ypc game, and is 6.5ypc on the season. As long as he keeps producing stats similar to that, then we can compare him to anyone we want. lol
Lets face it, Eli. You have a track record of lavishing hyperbolic praise on every Tom, **** and Harry on this roster. Your overweening enthusiasm is indiscriminate, lavished equally on the high and the low.

He's on the radar now; the "88" isn't fooling anybody any more. He will be game planned. Let's see the kid play and where he can take it.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face it, Eli. You have a track record of lavishing hyperbolic praise on every Tom, **** and Harry on this roster. Your overweening enthusiasm is indiscriminate, lavished equally on the high and the low.

He's on the radar now; the "88" isn't fooling anybody any more. He will be game planned. Let's see the kid play and where he can take it.
I only praise the guys I think are special. And if you want to check my track record, I have been on the Montgomery bandwagon from the start, and never lost optimism when he got hurt. I drafted him in my fantasy league because I thought he was a beast, and had a wild card with his rushing, basicly being our #3 RB coming into the season. Now if I had said that 3 months ago, I would be lavishly hyperbolic praising "Mont-ster" now wouldnt I???

The problem is you only remember my long shot calls, and huge praise. But you dont give credit when I hit the nail on the head.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you old enough to remember Montgomery may also remind you, too, of Sterling Sharpe after the catch. On occasion tacklers just seemed to bounce off of him while Sharpe seemed unfazed, hardly breaking stride. He was one tough SOB.

I always wonder what is going through a QB/WR/coach's mind when they need 6 yards and they throw it 4 but for some reason it didn't seem to matter much with Sharpe I know he was stopped short a lot of times but he did seem to make it more than most.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not only talking about this thread. There have been numerous other comments saying that Ty can't run between the tackles or handle anything close to a full-time RB workload.

I was one of the posters being skeptical of Montgomery's ability to run against a loaded box. After watching him perform on an elite level against the Bears I have to admit that I was most likely wrong about it.

We may have to pull Captain in for this one, but I would be interested to know how many NFL WR's have been successfully converted fully to the RB position in the past.

I can't come up with a single one.

Comparing Ty to Gado, Preston and Boykin is truly pessimistic and insulting. If you're that kind of fan, fine.

The position those players were drafted at or even going undrafted doesn't matter anymore once they have produced decent numbers in the NFL. I agree with being patient before appointing Montgomery an elite running back as there have been numerous examples of players putting up great numbers over a short period of time to fade quickly afterwards. Don't get me wrong I'm rooting for Ty to continue to perform on that level but shouldn't e criticized for taking a wait and see approach for now.

I think you all are too harsh on Eddie. He did clean himself up with the P90X and started this season well. I think the injury is just unfortunate. He'll be back in a prove yourself 1 year contract next year. Letting him go will be a mistake.

I would play him and Michaels are primary backs and switch TyM between RB and WR as needed.

Where does the "not stuck with it" coming from? Last I recall watching him, he was running pretty well iirc. What did I miss?

Lacy put on weight again shortly after he stopped training with Horton. While he performed well while on the field he had to take a lot of plays off because of poor conditioning. In addition his weight for sure contributed to his ankle injury.

Lacy is too big and Montgomery is too small and both have already been lost to injury and IR in their careers. Predicting a RB may get hurt is pretty much a sure thing.

Montgomery (6-0, 216) isn't too small to play running back.

I don't expect Montgomery to be able to produce numbers like that with a larger sample size.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'm going to go on record as saying I have grown to like your optimism Eli. Yeah you come up with some crazy ideas and sometimes over toot a players horn, but you seem to have fun doing it and I applaud you for that. As my father always said, "that kid is scrappy!" :tup:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to go on record as saying I have grown to like your optimism Eli. Yeah you come up with some crazy ideas and sometimes over toot a players horn, but you seem to have fun doing it and I applaud you for that. As my father always said, "that kid is scrappy!" :tup:

Members online

Latest posts