Ty Mont's Future in Green Bay

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you all think his role will be with the team next year and beyond?

Will we keep him in sort of a hybrid role? Do we have any reason to believe he could be our feature back? Does his (apparent) lack of durability change what we do with him? Do we pay him as a WR or RB?

Interesting player with a lot of interesting considerations to be made about him.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him as the hybrid role.

Still want a traditional RB1 though, whether that's re-signing Eddie to a very team friendly one year deal or drafting a new one in the draft.

OP
OP
thisisnate

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Ty Mont's emergence as a pretty solid runner makes us any more or less likely to re-sign the asthmatic dump truck.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's a lot of chance we're re-signing Lacy. But on to Monty. I'm all for using him exactly like we're using him, now and in the future. he's not going to be an all pro receiver or an all pro RB, but he could be very important cog in our wheel and make a nice contract based on that fact.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all - what is the durability issue? As far as I know he had one bad high ankle sprain that, as a rookie, was allowed to rush back too quickly from. I don't consider him a durability question. In fact, the kid delivers a pop when he runs, almost as much or more than Lacy.

I like his running style and vision. He's no classic runner but is working well in our system right now. Credit McCarthy for finding a way to make him useful and not just treating him like a classic back and running between the tackles.

We need to draft or acquire a RB to replace Lacy & Starks. I'd be fine with Lacy coming back on a friendly contract but we absolutely need three RBs next year if Lacy comes back. Lacy is certainly the one with durability issues. I'm intrigured by Christine Michael but am not sure we'll have enough time (as fans) to fully evaluate him this season.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all - what is the durability issue? As far as I know he had one bad high ankle sprain that, as a rookie, was allowed to rush back too quickly from. I don't consider him a durability question. In fact, the kid delivers a pop when he runs, almost as much or more than Lacy.
The sickle cell thing might be a problem? Really not too sure how that works.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Will we keep him in sort of a hybrid role? Do we have any reason to believe he could be our feature back? Does his (apparent) lack of durability change what we do with him? Do we pay him as a WR or RB?

Interesting player with a lot of interesting considerations to be made about him.

Monty's rookie contract runs through 2018, so except for the decision to pick up his final option year, the Packers don't have to worry about his contract for awhile. If I had to predict his future and the future of the position in GB, I don't see him being fully switched to a RB. I think his value is doing what he has been doing. Michael should be brought back to compete with a FA (yeah right) or a 3rd -4th round pick for the starting position.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lacy is in the last year of his contract - I wouldn't be shocked if Green Bay addresses the RB situation by having Montgomery change his number and resigning Christine Michael as his back-up.

Eddie, James Starks.......it's been nice knowing you.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do vaguely recall reading sometime before that he considers himself a WR first and a RB as a backup. But then, I'm sure he'd agree to be a RB if it gets him more gametime.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep him as a hybrid as you can do more with him to keep defenses on their toes.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this kind of interesting

McCarthy: Ty Montgomery is a running back...He hasn't gone to a receivers meeting in months.

https://twitter.com/packers/status/808374382167027713
It might be interesting but not surprising. He was our only running back for a while and is still our featured back, so why would you have him do anything but going to RB meetings. Unfortunately I expect this to end up like the Clay Matthews situation. We will go into next season hoping that they find a suitable replacement, but he will likely slide back to RB when the need arises.

Reaction score
I think you utilize the strength of each player based on past performance.
He is a key component to our late season success.
His productivity in the utility role has been solid. His career average per touch
KR is 25.3
Rushing 5.1.
Receiving 9.0.

We can get Receiving production better than 9YPC so his role here will be limited in nature.
We can get KR production better than 25.3 (although that isn't bad) without too much effort (e.g, Janis is 26.53 average)
We have zero options who can pick up 5.2+ Per rushing attempt or even close IMO

So in short my answer is.. until we find someone who rushes for 5.2 yards per carry he will remain primarily a RB but he has been the Leatherman utility knife we all got as a gift that's fun to experiment with

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do vaguely recall reading sometime before that he considers himself a WR first and a RB as a backup. But then, I'm sure he'd agree to be a RB if it gets him more gametime.
Funny... I heard the opposite... he always wanted to be a running back... but the coaches wanted him to play wide receiver.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not use him as a hybrid? If he can do both then go for it. I see no reason to try and force someone to fit a traditional mold. Do what works, period.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard someone compare his role to that of danny woodhead and theo rid****. I like that. Those guys are very diverse and effective....when healthy.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Lacy is in the last year of his contract - I wouldn't be shocked if Green Bay addresses the RB situation by having Montgomery change his number and resigning Christine Michael as his back-up.

Curious? Why does he have to change his number if he's a RB? Tradition? Rules? Can a RB line up on the line like a WR or do they have to be a step back as a flanker?

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Guess the league is picky over having numbers that are issued. Through a RB that can usually be 20-49 or a W.R. that is in the 80's except on other numbers I guess.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m in favor of keeping Montgomery in a hybrid role for next season as well. The team for sure shouldn´t enter 2017 planning on him being the featured running back.

Monty's rookie contract runs through 2018, so except for the decision to pick up his final option year, the Packers don't have to worry about his contract for awhile.

The fifth year option is only available for first round picks.

I agree that Lacy and Starks should be gone next season but the Packers better address the position with another running back aside of Montgomery and Michael.

His productivity in the utility role has been solid. His career average per touch
KR is 25.3
Rushing 5.1.
Receiving 9.0.

We can get Receiving production better than 9YPC so his role here will be limited in nature.

Taking a look at Montgomery´s receiving stats you have to realize that he has caught a lot of short passes with some of them even behind the LOS. Therefore his average yards per reception should be compared to other running backs.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty is a match-up nightmare which is exactly what MM wants in this offense. If they call him a RB then when he's in the D more than likely has a LB covering him and MM has the option of motioning or splitting Monty out into a pattern. If the D chooses to put a Safety on him then MM can run him inside where Monty has (hopefully) a hole and some steam prior to getting to the Safety and a gain of 5-10 yards. I think MM likes "playing around" with the options and trying to out-think a D coordinator.

Whether he wears #88 again or is given a RB number (#38?) he'll have the same role. Love to see a couple of backs drafted/UDFA in the offseason, a bruising 230+lb'er and a smaller fast/quick guy and see how they fare in TC alongside C. Michael and Monty.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The NFL has rules about which number a player can wear by position. If Montgomery becomes a full-time running back, his jersey number must be between 20 and 49.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_number_(American_football)
Guess again.
Also, if a player changes primary positions during his career, he does not usually have to change his number unless he changes from an eligible receiver to ineligible or vice versa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_uniform_numbers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts