Two positives already

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
People will bash McCarthy at any chance they get but when it comes to a positive they won't give him credit when it's due.

Only criticizing coaches seems to be the M.O. of Packers fans lately no?

porky88 said:
I'm not sure why but in this case he should be given credit for having players mentally ready for the football games and preparing a team that isn’t committing as many mistakes as they have in the past so far.

I'll give him credit if it's true, I'm just not sure that it is given that the same players seem to be making the same mistakes.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I'll give him credit if it's true, I'm just not sure that it is given that the same players seem to be making the same mistakes.

Another thing to look at is the fact we have 2 rookie guards starting and a rookie WR. That's 3 rookie starting and out of the 3 the mistakes seemed to be toned down quite a bit. Usually a team with a lot of rookies and 1st year starters are more prone to make mistakes such as holding down the field and off sides.

Overall though Clifton and his false starts are the only thing that comes to mind in terms of "players prone to make mistakes"

With that said he has been considerably better as of late in that department as well. He has his moments but 3 games through it hasn't been a constant.

Through the 1st 3 games on defense it’s been better. Nobody seems to jump and not as many secondary penalties. Actually Al Harris is the guys who’s had his moments but I have enough faith in Harris that he’ll get it together and the coach has already address Harris publicly about inconsistent play through the 1st 3 games.

Then again 3 games into the year is not even close enough to judge a team on it's mistakes and a 1st year Head Coach on discipline. We’ll see if it’s consistent as the year goes on.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
tromadz said:
I disagree

but you win cuz you coach kids, and thats more than I do.

You can coach a lot of things, if you think outside the box a little

Do you honestly think coaches (all coaches, including old and new Mike) aren't constantly harping on avoiding penalties? Certain players keep committing these penalties (and yes they are occurring under new Mike). why is that, if you can supposedly coach away these mistakes?

Explain to me why it is that teams like the Patriots, Steelers etc don't kill themselves constantly with stupid penalties? I guess their players are just more disciplined outa thin air. You very well CAN coach against penalties.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Clifton is still false starting. Tausher has been called for the second and third holding penalties of his career however.

That was two games ago. How many times since?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
tromadz said:
I disagree

Do you honestly think coaches (all coaches, including old and new Mike) aren't constantly harping on avoiding penalties? Certain players keep committing these penalties (and yes they are occurring under new Mike). why is that, if you can supposedly coach away these mistakes?

Explain to me why it is that teams like the Patriots, Steelers etc don't kill themselves constantly with stupid penalties? I guess their players are just more disciplined outa thin air. You very well CAN coach against penalties.

Actually the Packers had less penalty yards last year than the Patriots. Penalties hurt, no doubt but guys false starting is nothing more than a mental lapse similar to fumbling.

I can guarantee all NFL level coaches preach no penalties. It's basic stuff.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
tromadz said:
I disagree

Actually the Packers had less penalty yards last year than the Patriots. Penalties hurt, no doubt but guys false starting is nothing more than a mental lapse similar to fumbling.

No one is saying if an Olinemen commits a false start that you're thinking "ah that dang coach!!" but when it happens time and time and time again and doesn't appear to improve from week to week or at least become more consistant then you have to wonder why the coach doesn't see this as problem or is ineffective in fixing the problem.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
pyledriver80 said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
tromadz said:
I disagree

No one is saying if an Olinemen commits a false start that you're thinking "ah that dang coach!!" but when it happens time and time and time again and doesn't appear to improve from week to week or at least become more consistant then you have to wonder why the coach doesn't see this as problem or is ineffective in fixing the problem.

How is he supposed to fix it? Yank him? Tell him "Don't do that"?

C'mon now these guys are paid Millions and are professionals.

Judging by your theory Ahman Green should be benched as well as Popping and Manual. Is this correct?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually under Holmgren Green WOULD HAVE been benched. Like Buckley and Schroeder were as returners.

There is a method that MM is using in practice that Sherman didn't and I read about this at packersnews.com so it may still be in the archives there I don't know. McCarthy likes to wear the players out during one on one drills and THEN have them work tired in the 7 on 7's or team drills as to help them focus more when they are tired. I agree with that method, personally.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:
Clifton is still false starting. Tausher has been called for the second and third holding penalties of his career however.

None. What's your point? Tausher had one holding penalty in his entire career before this year (including college) and had two in one game. The fact that he's had none since then is more than likely Tausher reverting to form not any great coaching.

You might be interested to note that a relatively unpenalized player in Al Harris also has been called for 4 penalties this year (two holding and two pass interference). Why hasn't coaching fixed these mistakes?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cory said:
Actually under Holmgren Green WOULD HAVE been benched. Like Buckley and Schroeder were as returners.

There is a method that MM is using in practice that Sherman didn't and I read about this at packersnews.com so it may still be in the archives there I don't know. McCarthy likes to wear the players out during one on one drills and THEN have them work tired in the 7 on 7's or team drills as to help them focus more when they are tired. I agree with that method, personally.

http://packerforum.com/index.php?name=F ... pic&t=6695

I think thats the article you're referring to.

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's DEFINITELY a coaching thing and if you dont think so, i'd have to question (in a non-condescending way) if you've ever played competitive football (college or otherwise).

we used to be scared shitless of our coaches. what we'd have to do in practice if penalties were committed was grueling and if it continued to happen, you didnt even play. it was harsh but we rarely had penalties... no one wanted to do five sidelines (down back down back 200 yards under 36 seconds) in a row for committing penalties.

keeps guys in the zone, focused on what they have to do... not that players want to commit penalties but you play how you practice and if there isnt any discipline there, there's not gonna be much on sundays. if you dont think so, you've never had a coach who could breathe fire.

that's why certain coaches always have penalties follow them around. it's no coincidence.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And as stated last year GB had less penalty yardage than teams like the Patroits.

Some penalties are coachable, false starting is not one of them

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

None. What's your point? Tausher had one holding penalty in his entire career before this year (including college) and had two in one game. The fact that he's had none since then is more than likely Tausher reverting to form not any great coaching.

You might be interested to note that a relatively unpenalized player in Al Harris also has been called for 4 penalties this year (two holding and two pass interference). Why hasn't coaching fixed these mistakes?

And how many penalties were called on Harris last year and the year before? Btw, coaching has fixed penalty mistakes as to why the thread was started in the first place. The team hasn't been shellacked with dumb penalties this season and it's a positive on the coaching staff.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
And as stated last year GB had less penalty yardage than teams like the Patroits.

Some penalties are coachable, false starting is not one of them

I'm asking as a serious question, not to challenge what you are saying because I believe you but where can you get that info?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From experience. Of course there is no way to know one way or the other. It's just like Greens fumbling problem. Sure you can coach it with pressure point bullcrap or blah blah blah but do you think Green knows he is not supposed to fumble?

Its about awareness and concentration. If you have to teach guys not to jump off sides or to not fumble a football than you should probably ask them to return thier 4454356 gazillion dollar salary.

Let me ask you a question. Did you play football? I'm not trying to have a holier than thou attitude but if you did you know that penalties happen every play. Do you know how many penalties in the NFL go uncalled a week? I would venture to say 100+. It's all about how and if the zebra sees it.

When I played I held, grabbed facemasks, illegally chopped people, etc, all the time. Sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don't.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
From experience. Of course there is no way to know one way or the other. It's just like Greens fumbling problem. Sure you can coach it with pressure point bullcrap or blah blah blah but do you think Green knows he is not supposed to fumble?

Its about awareness and concentration. If you have to teach guys not to jump off sides or to not fumble a football than you should probably ask them to return thier 4454356 gazillion dollar salary.

Let me ask you a question. Did you play football? I'm not trying to have a holier than thou attitude but if you did you know that penalties happen every play. Do you know how many penalties in the NFL go uncalled a week? I would venture to say 100+. It's all about how and if the zebra sees it.

When I played I held, grabbed facemasks, illegally chopped people, etc, all the time. Sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don't.

Well I asked you a simple question and you didn't answer it and yes I did play football, but quit just before college. Not saying I would have made it anyway, but I played OT, DT, and DE all at one time or another. Yes I know there are plenty of penalties that go on throughout the game. The ones that are a result of mental error such as false starts, offsides, etc etc are coachable and fixable. I've already talked about MM's method and we all know Holmgren's method. When I played our coach hammered it into our heads in practice. If you commit stupid penalties such as false starts and whatnot then you ran more in practice or else you hit the pine. If a coach emphasizes limiting those stupid mistakes more, then it can and will go down. Btw, I'm also thinking about getting back into coaching at my old high school.

Latest posts