Two positives already

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see two things McCarthy has done better than Sherman and Ray Rhodes.

1)Penalties. Penalties are mental mistakes by individuals which turn into team mistakes. We have far fewer penalties this year. That is a direct reflection on attention to detail by the coaches. Larry Beightol didn't seem to give a damn about it. Jeff Jajsdjdlsdjflslkski does.

2)Injuries. Since Holmgren left, key team members were chronically injured. I think the switch to free weights and a greater emphasis on conditioning is key. I also think the concept of losing weight is good. Putting less pressure on knees and ankles helps.

Whether that translates to victories is yet to be seen, but in theory, it will.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

1)Penalties. Penalties are mental mistakes by individuals which turn into team mistakes. We have far fewer penalties this year. That is a direct reflection on attention to detail by the coaches. Larry Beightol didn't seem to give a damn about it. Jeff Jajsdjdlsdjflslkski does. .
I agree if there was one thing i could not stand about MS is his penalties week after week after week. And stupid penalties.

net said:
2)Injuries. Since Holmgren left, key team members were chronically injured. I think the switch to free weights and a greater emphasis on conditioning is key. I also think the concept of losing weight is good. Putting less pressure on knees and ankles helps.

I can agree somewhat with this, although it still is early in the season. Still better than Sherman's first year from what I remember. Was that the year that our entire O line was tottaly gone?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
net said:

1)Penalties. Penalties are mental mistakes by individuals which turn into team mistakes. We have far fewer penalties this year. That is a direct reflection on attention to detail by the coaches. Larry Beightol didn't seem to give a damn about it. Jeff Jajsdjdlsdjflslkski does. .
I agree if there was one thing i could not stand about MS is his penalties week after week after week. And stupid penalties.

net said:

I can agree somewhat with this, although it still is early in the season. Still better than Sherman's first year from what I remember. Was that the year that our entire O line was tottaly gone?

I agree ago....watching Mike Sherman jump offsides was driving me nuts :roll:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
agopackgo4 said:
net said:

net said:

Lol

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
agopackgo4 said:
net said:

net said:

Coaching has a big part to do with penalties. How discipline a team is, has and usually does determine the amount of penalties and mistakes a team makes. There was no secret that Sherman was not a discipline type of guy and the team was given a "soft" credit because of that. In terms of discipline I'll give McCarthy credit where it's due. He's done a nice job in that aspect of the game. Now he can't let off and if he does then point the finger his way if you want but give credit when it's due and in this case McCarthy has done a nice job. Things change fast and knowing the Packers they'll commit a nice amount of penalites on Monday because we're all talking about it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, shocker, depack defends sherman when he wasn't even really being criticized too harshly at all.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, saying coaching has alot to do with penalties is quite a stretch. Guys know they aren't supposed to jump offsides or commit pass interference.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Does one really need coaching to remember the snap count?

I didnt think someone needed (much) coaching to not HOLD on to someone when playing CB but I was wrong then too, so anything is possible.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't. Some players hold and some jump offsides. Coaching matters little. You either live with it because they do other things well or sit them down because you can't live with it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
They don't. Some players hold and some jump offsides. Coaching matters little. You either live with it because they do other things well or sit them down because you can't live with it.

You cant coach it? MS tried with the boxing gloves training for A.C. (Which i thought was clever, but in the end, ineffective).

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

Agreed, pretty damn simple

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree

but you win cuz you coach kids, and thats more than I do.

You can coach a lot of things, if you think outside the box a little

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
TOPackerFan said:

I think Yogi said it best. "Football is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical." Oh wait, that was about Baseball. Football is completely different!! Nothing mental involved at all. Stupid Jocks!

Coachs like to push off responsiblity, no surprise that a coach here would do the same.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
TOPackerFan said:

Coachs like to push off responsiblity, no surprise that a coach here would do the same.

Funny that you would say that considering you DEVOTE your whole day pushing the blame off Ted Thompson.

I can see this goes back to coaching as usual. Go back to playing your video game guys. Go back to playing NFL Head Coach on your PS2. You don't know what it's like because you've never had enough knowledge or balls to step up to the plate and do it. Don't hate me because I do.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
TOPackerFan said:

I think Yogi said it best. "Football is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical." Oh wait, that was about Baseball. Football is completely different!! Nothing mental involved at all. Stupid Jocks!

A well discipline team will make fewer mistakes. Now if your just prone to jump off sides then what can you do. It's just one of those things and you mentally can‘t get it. Like Ahman Green's fumbling problem because he doesn't use the rule "The sideline is your friend" He always carries the ball in his left arm I believe.

I look at Mike Holmgrem for an example. His team screws up on something, they pay for it. They can’t catch a pitch as shown on NFL Network once, they do it 10 times in a row and if they screw up they keep doing it until they get it right and then move on to the next session. That’s bringing a different attitude towards a team. Now I’m not comparing McCarthy to Holmgrem or anyone to anyone but clearly you see an example of a coach who wants a discipline team and use their time to make a team well disciplined.

People will bash McCarthy at any chance they get but when it comes to a positive they won't give him credit when it's due. I'm not sure why but in this case he should be given credit for having players mentally ready for the football games and preparing a team that isn’t committing as many mistakes as they have in the past so far.

One of the things McCarthy was known for was discipline. Michael Smith said on Around the Horn right after the hire that McCarthy will have this team committing fewer mistakes and this is a good hire. Whether Smith is 2 for 2 is yet to be seen but it does look like he is on his way to being right about one thing.

It takes more than being discipline to be a good coach though. McCarthy still has a lot to learn and I think making in game adjustments is right up on that list.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I disagree

but you win cuz you coach kids, and thats more than I do.

You can coach a lot of things, if you think outside the box a little

Do you honestly think coaches (all coaches, including old and new Mike) aren't constantly harping on avoiding penalties? Certain players keep committing these penalties (and yes they are occurring under new Mike). why is that, if you can supposedly coach away these mistakes?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
TOPackerFan said:

Funny that you would say that considering you DEVOTE your whole day pushing the blame off Ted Thompson.

I can see this goes back to coaching as usual. Go back to playing your video game guys. Go back to playing NFL Head Coach on your PS2. You don't know what it's like because you've never had enough knowledge or balls to step up to the plate and do it. Don't hate me because I do.

Yep.
I never faulted Ted for Rivera, Wahle, stated his faults on FA's or even mentioned how I was beginging to lose faith in his first HC.

GM's give the HC tools to do the job. It's the job of the HC to use the tools properly. If you need to remove a 5/8 bolt and don't have a 5/8 wrench you adjust, you use a cresent wrench.

There's plenty of blame to go around. This is Ted's second season as GM and Mikes first as HC. Albeit I have lost some faith in both men, I still try to find positives and hope for the best. Why? Because I'm not a ignorant ***** like some on this board. You decide if you fall into that category people, NOT me.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
TOPackerFan said:

A well discipline team will make fewer mistakes.

I look at Mike Holmgrem for an example. His team screws up on something, they pay for it. They can’t catch a pitch as shown on NFL Network once, they do it 10 times in a row and if they screw up they keep doing it until they get it right and then move on to the next session.

Word. Thats coaching. (TO, do you agree\disagree with this? I love your opinions(and that sweet ***) on subjects like these.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree with this, it was one of the few things I liked about Holmgren. I'm not sure how you coach away penalties though, especially by using the technique cited (and my *** is no longer sweet - it's widening due to sitting in a chair and staring at this bloody computer screen all day).

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
TOPackerFan said:
Does one really need coaching to remember the snap count?

A swift kick in the *** doesn't hurt anyone.

By definition, a swift kick in the *** should hurt.

Was it Tauscher or Clifton who's false starting a lot this year? I think that's occuring because of the new system and he's not good at the cut blocking yet and looking for a head start. Either way, I expect it will improve.

I'm impressed with McCarthy's disciplined principles.

As for the comment above about all coaches harping on simple things like penalties, they don't. Coaches are as random as people in traffic.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts