Tuesday: Players Statuses Reports

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Notes from McCarthy

Junius Coston will be the Packers' right guard for the second straight week. "I thought he was solid. I thought he was physical," coach Mike McCarthy said this afternoon of Coston's performance in Sunday's win over the New York Giants. "He's very athletic, really does a nice job of second reaction. His footwork is something that needs to be improved. "Frankly, he needs to play. It's beneficial for him personally to get out there and get some game action. But he competed. I thought he did a solid job." Regular starter Jason Spitz, who has been nursing a calf strain, played in Sunday's game as a reserve but was hurting. While it's not clear whether Spitz's injury was the only reason behind the switch, indications are Coston will retain the starting job indefinitely. "Jason really bailed us out in that game," McCarthy said. "He was not 100 percent, and for him to even play was a credit to him. We'll definitely go that way (with Coston) this week."

Also from McCarthy's afternoon press conference ...

* LT Chad Clifton, who turned his ankle, said he was fine after Sunday's game. He was in for treatment today and may miss some practice time this week but is expected to play against San Diego.

* There were no other notable injuries in Sunday's game, though "we've got a bunch of guys banged up."

* RB Vernand Morency (knee) will be tested Wednesday again, but WR Greg Jennings (hamstring) may sit out until later in the week in hopes that timetable will get him ready for the Chargers game.

* WR Ruvell Martin and CB Charles Woodson both could be options to play quarterback if Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers were injured during a game. Coaches will examine ther options for the role this week.

* Mental errors were more to blame than physical errors for the "free hitters" the Giants got in the Packers backfield Sunday.

* Rookie RB DeShawn Wynn might see an expanded role after his two-TD performance Sunday, but McCarthy said he likes the rotation he has and also is excited about Ryan Grant.

* Tramon Williams will retain the kick return role for now, and it's possible he'll work alongside Blackmon whenever Blackmon resumes his role in the return game. Blackmon probably could return kicks now but isn't ready for punts.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONDAY POSTGAME INJURY REPORT: MM PC

Thanks as always TOPHAT!

A couple thoughts:

We have to get Gregarious back in order to win this game. He wills it so.

Awesome that Chuckwood is a potential QB. Awesome.

Blackmon needs to get back on returns, I have a feeling that if he does, we'll be a seriously dangerous team. The sooner the better for that guy.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONDAY POSTGAME INJURY REPORT: MM PC

I thought Tramon Williams did great on returns last week. I want to see Blackmon earn the returners job by splitting returns with Tramon so we can see who is doing better.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: MONDAY POSTGAME INJURY REPORT: MM PC

I thought Tramon Williams did great on returns last week. I want to see Blackmon earn the returners job by splitting returns with Tramon so we can see who is doing better.
Williams looked pretty good back there, yesterday.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE: WILLIAMS SHINING, JENNINGS STATUS

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=663263

...No return changes:Tramon Williams has done such a solid job with his kickoff return duty, he might merit some work on punt returns. But Stock likes Charles Woodson because he's so reliable. "Woodson's a warrior," Stock said. "If he could, if his body would allow him, he would like to play three ways. He's a throwback." Woodson was also mentioned by McCarthy on Monday as a possible third quarterback option, if all you-know-what breaks loose. Green Bay has only two quarterbacks on the regular roster. The Packers lost their third option when receiver Carlyle Holiday was placed on injured reserve last week.

Truth be told: McCarthy is weighing whether to have injured receiver Greg Jennings practice this week after a failed attempt last week to get him ready for action. Jennings practiced at full speed on Wednesday, but really shouldn't have because he was still experiencing discomfort. Because he wanted to play, Jennings sent signals to the coaches and medical staff that he was doing much better, but it turned out he paid for it Thursday when his hamstring tightened. This week, McCarthy might not practice him until Thursday or Friday, if at all. "It really comes down to the communication with the player, the medical staff and everybody involved," McCarthy said of whether Jennings will practice. "Our plan last week didn't work, and it just shows you where he's at in the rehab. We'll see where he is the next two days and make a decision. I'm definitely going to err on holding him longer than earlier."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MOLL RETURNING

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/PKR01/709180561/1989

Injury sidelines Palmer as Moll returns to offensive line

The Green Bay Packers are getting back one injured offensive lineman [Moll] but have lost another [G Palmer]. Coach Mike McCarthy said Coston likely will open practice this week as the starting right guard after a solid performance. Spitz, who was active against the Giants and played a few snaps, said he's not 100 percent. At one point, the Packers had only five healthy linemen, including Spitz. They had seven active but lost Palmer and briefly were without left tackle Chad Clifton because of an ankle injury. Having Moll back means the Packers should have enough healthy linemen for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers, but they will almost certainly add one if Palmer's injury is season-ending. Moll, who has been a limited participant in practice this week, is expected to practice in full on Wednesday. "For the last couple of weeks, I've been doing everything that's non-contact to get my legs back in football shape," Moll said on Monday. "Starting Wednesday, I'll start hitting again and try to get back into rhythm."

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packers.scout.com/2/680855.html

Moll returning just in time: Look for versatile second-year pro to start at right guard against Chargers

The Green Bay Packers may enter their Week 3 game against the San Diego Chargers with another new starter at right guard. Tony Moll, who has been sidelined since early in training camp with a neck stinger, will return to practice this week. It is very possible that Moll will take over where the ineffective Junius Coston left off Sunday against the New York Giants. Coston, filling in for the injured Jason Spitz, struggled in his first career start. The Packers again had trouble rushing the ball, and the line left little room for the backs to run. The Packers averaged 2.9 yards per carry on the ground, though, the line did not allow Brett Favre to be sacked....
I thought the DL was getting thru over the Center-Guard slot when the Packer RB were thrown for a loss. It must have been due to missed assignments by Coston.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packers.scout.com/2/680855.html

Moll returning just in time: Look for versatile second-year pro to start at right guard against Chargers

The Green Bay Packers may enter their Week 3 game against the San Diego Chargers with another new starter at right guard. Tony Moll, who has been sidelined since early in training camp with a neck stinger, will return to practice this week. It is very possible that Moll will take over where the ineffective Junius Coston left off Sunday against the New York Giants. Coston, filling in for the injured Jason Spitz, struggled in his first career start. The Packers again had trouble rushing the ball, and the line left little room for the backs to run. The Packers averaged 2.9 yards per carry on the ground, though, the line did not allow Brett Favre to be sacked....

Well, this completely contradicts the first post in this thread, where McCarthy said he was pleased with Coston's performance. If Moll does start, I will give packerscout.com their due for breaking the news.

I think the run-blocking has pretty much sucked all-around. The only guy I haven't seen screw up is Scott Wells, but it's entirely possible that he screwed up and I just didn't notice it.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a couple plays where Coston just got over powered. It's nice to have 3 versatile reserve on the o line (Coston, Moll, Barbre). I just wish one of them would step up and take over the RG spot if Spitz cannot handle it.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I would think he will be sitting for the remainder of the year. Bad way to make room on the roster, but this kid was blessed compared to what might have happened. Scarey stuff.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/245932

Packers notes: Palmer suffers fracture in neck
By JASON WILDE

GREEN BAY -- Green Bay Packers backup guard Tony Palmer spent the night in a New Jersey hospital with what coach Mike McCarthy called ``a small bone fracture in his neck,'' but Palmer did not lose any feeling in his extremities or experience any temporary paralysis.

Palmer's injury was announced as a shoulder stinger after Sunday's 35-13 victory over the New York Giants at the Meadowlands and he was en route back to Green Bay Monday afternoon. McCarthy spoke to Palmer by phone and said he was ``in very good spirits.''

Palmer was injured while blocking on a kickoff return, one week after Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett suffered a life-threatening spinal-cord injury while covering a kickoff against the Denver Broncos. Everett remains hospitalized but is expected to be able to walk again.

``Just to hear him laugh on the phone tells you everything, that he's fine,'' McCarthy said of Palmer, who joined the team as a waiver claim from St. Louis before the 2006 season. ``(The injury) was (initially) classified as a stinger, so we sent him for a scan, just to be safe. And then we thought it would be best just to leave him behind and make sure everything was fine. But it's a small bone fracture.''

McCarthy said it's ``possible'' the injury will land Palmer on season-ending injured reserve, but the coach didn't want to say for sure until the team's doctors had examined him.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think he will be sitting for the remainder of the year. Bad way to make room on the roster, but this kid was blessed compared to what might have happened. Scarey stuff.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/245932

Packers notes: Palmer suffers fracture in neck
By JASON WILDE

GREEN BAY -- Green Bay Packers backup guard Tony Palmer spent the night in a New Jersey hospital with what coach Mike McCarthy called ``a small bone fracture in his neck,'' but Palmer did not lose any feeling in his extremities or experience any temporary paralysis.

Palmer's injury was announced as a shoulder stinger after Sunday's 35-13 victory over the New York Giants at the Meadowlands and he was en route back to Green Bay Monday afternoon. McCarthy spoke to Palmer by phone and said he was ``in very good spirits.''

Palmer was injured while blocking on a kickoff return, one week after Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett suffered a life-threatening spinal-cord injury while covering a kickoff against the Denver Broncos. Everett remains hospitalized but is expected to be able to walk again.

``Just to hear him laugh on the phone tells you everything, that he's fine,'' McCarthy said of Palmer, who joined the team as a waiver claim from St. Louis before the 2006 season. ``(The injury) was (initially) classified as a stinger, so we sent him for a scan, just to be safe. And then we thought it would be best just to leave him behind and make sure everything was fine. But it's a small bone fracture.''

McCarthy said it's ``possible'' the injury will land Palmer on season-ending injured reserve, but the coach didn't want to say for sure until the team's doctors had examined him.
A potential life threating injury sure puts it all into perspective. Here's to hoping that he is able to live a normal life.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its not really life threating .... i mean McCarthy comes off inthis interview as if its fine. he said it was "possible" he would be put on the IR. which means its possible he will play again this year. clearly not a life threatening injury.

just a bone fracture. hes laughing and had no signs of a more serious neck injury. no paralysis or anything and thats very good.

i do understand what your saying wpr... if its a neck injury its always serious, but i think were fine here.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its not really life threating .... i mean McCarthy comes off inthis interview as if its fine. he said it was "possible" he would be put on the IR. which means its possible he will play again this year. clearly not a life threatening injury.

just a bone fracture. hes laughing and had no signs of a more serious neck injury. no paralysis or anything and thats very good.

i do understand what your saying wpr... if its a neck injury its always serious, but i think were fine here.

I agree Packnic this is not life threating. But after what happened in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago it it easy to image what "could" have happened it the fracture was a 1/2 inch bigger. And I am glad it is not worse.

Members online

Latest posts