When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it foolish to want a GM that will utilize all available options to field a football team?

Because the teams he has put out there have been super bowl contenders more often than not. This year's team is one of the final 8 teams after losing our second best offensive player. They were a play away last year. I wish he would sign a free agent or two from. Other teams but he signed Cobb Bulaga and even Raji who were the top fa agents at their positions.

I don't think people understand how hard it is to have a really balanced team when your qb is eating a huge chunk of your cap. All of NE super bowls came when brady made under 10 million a year

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the BIGGEST difference in Schneider/Carroll than TT/MM.

Seattle signs Flynn to a huge contract to be the starting QB in Seattle and drafts RW. RW is starting QB by the time the season opens and Seattle eats the guaranteed money on Flynn and dumps him. Would have never happened here.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand the Patriots could have won six Super Bowls if not for Tyree's helmet catching a hail mary and Manningham coming up with another incredible catch four years later.

That is the point. Things happen. NE went a 10 year window with 0 super bowls. No one wanted to fire their gm. Green Bay has gone 5 years and a group wants to oust a gm who has made the playoffs the last 7 years

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers currently have four players on their team that have played for another team, if I recall correctly all other teams have at least 16. It's pretty accurate to mention that overall Thompson ignores other ways than the draft to improve the team.
There's no denying that a ton of free agent signings or trades don't work out, completey ignoring both isn't the way to go either though.

IMO it's ridiculous to mention the Lions or any other team not having a HOF QB when evaluating Thompson as the Patriots, with Bellichick using all ways to acquire talent, should be the team to aim for with four Super Bowl wins and six appearances with their franchise QB.

Because TT hasn't been as good as possibly the greatest successful run in NFL history is not a good reason to get rid of him.

The odds of a another GM coming in a replicating the Patriots is just about zero.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the point, success is a proper execution of both. FYI, Denver has a pretty good team. Throw AR on that team and they are winning the past few SB's.
The problem is you can never just throw players on a team, because with that comes a few other variables that nobody ever considers. Team philosphy's change, draft needs change, draft directions change, FA wants, needs and availabilities change, your salary Cap changes, other decisions are made.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand it's ridiculous for a GM to think he's that much better at drafting than all other teams to justify ignoring any other way to improve the team.

Right, but he HAS been better at building through the draft than most teams. I get the frustration in the playoff burn outs, but to me that's just football; it's really hard to win a Super Bowl. We've been consistently good to very good over the last 7 years, including winning one Super Bowl. We've had some breaks go against us, and we've certainly had some roster holes that we could have filled to have a more complete team. So I realize there are things to nitpick, but there are a lot of franchises that would trade their last 7 years for the Packers'. If it's ridiculous for him to think that he's better than everyone else at building through the draft, when he's built a successful franchise that way, wouldn't it be even more naive for him to think he'd be better in free agency than most teams? A LOT of teams fail spectacularly in free agency, and that's a much better way to run your franchise into the ground.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not saying TT is a bad GM, I am saying that his inability to sign FA's have cost the Packers opportunities to win SB's and have wasted some prime years with the best QB in football.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seattle signs Flynn to a huge contract to be the starting QB in Seattle and drafts RW. RW is starting QB by the time the season opens and Seattle eats the guaranteed money on Flynn and dumps him. Would have never happened here.
Yeah Ted has never moved on from a big name qb to a younger guy. Ted would have never signed Flynn to a terrible deal either

D

Deleted member 6794

Because the teams he has put out there have been super bowl contenders more often than not. This year's team is one of the final 8 teams after losing our second best offensive player. They were a play away last year. I wish he would sign a free agent or two from. Other teams but he signed Cobb Bulaga and even Raji who were the top fa agents at their positions.

I don't think people understand how hard it is to have a really balanced team when your qb is eating a huge chunk of your cap. All of NE super bowls came when brady made under 10 million a year

Raji for sure wasn't one of the top free agent defensive linemen and it seems Cobb got way too much money.

Rodgers contract actually is a pretty team friendly one. Brady had a cap hit of $14.8 million last season.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is you can never just throw players on a team, because with that comes a few other variables that nobody ever considers. Team philosphy's change, draft needs change, draft directions change, FA wants, needs and availabilities change, your salary Cap changes, other decisions are made.

Yeah, I didn't literally mean go back in time and have Denver draft him and change the space time continuum, I meant put AR on the current team instead of Peyton and Denver would have won some SB's. Because they know how to draft and use FA.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji for sure wasn't one of the top free agent defensive linemen and it seems Cobb got way too much money.

Rodgers contract actually is a pretty team friendly one. Brady had a cap hit of $14.8 million last season.

Raji has a ton of potential and they got him for relatively cheap on a show me/stay healthy 1 year deal. That was definitely a good deal IMO. Cobb has had a down year, but a lot of that is attributable to Nelson being out.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the point of brady's contract. Was looking at the wrong numbers.

Who were the free agent nts much better than Raji? I honestly don't remember. I agree on Cobb but I think he produces much differently with jordy

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand the Patriots could have won six Super Bowls if not for Tyree's helmet catching a hail mary and Manningham coming up with another incredible catch four years later.

Can I point out some of the lucky breaks that came with their SB wins then? They're really not that far off from having just one win or even none in SBs if we get to change certain game changing plays

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't literally mean go back in time and have Denver draft him and change the space time continuum, I meant put AR on the current team instead of Peyton and Denver would have won some SB's. Because they know how to draft and use FA.
but you can't do that and they haven't won anything yet. They're lucking out in playing the Steelers who might be down their top 2 RB's, a QB and the leagues leading WR for 3 years running. and if all the FA's work out for Denver, congrats, they've won as many as we have in the past 10 years

and if they don't win it this year, then what? Think they look the same next year? better?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With your screen name are you 100% certain that you want to make the argument that TT would never move on from a high profile vet in favor of the young guy at QB? Seriously?

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but you can't do that and they haven't won anything yet. They're lucking out in playing the Steelers who might be down their top 2 RB's, a QB and the leagues leading WR for 3 years running. and if all the FA's work out for Denver, congrats, they've won as many as we have in the past 10 years

The other poster threw out Denver as an example of a team wildly blowing money on FA's and I simply pointed out that they have a really good team brought about by drafting and signing FA's. They have managed to build a great team around the large salary hit of Peyton's because their GM was willing to spend the money on the needed players.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying that a ton of free agent signings or trades don't work out, completey ignoring both isn't the way to go either though.

I am/have always been a TT supporter but I've reached a point to where I can't stand how little he uses free agency. The first part of this post is 1000% accurate, and you can point to more complete whiffs in free agency than hits but the 2nd part is spot on as well. Mason Foster for example, not a great player by any stretch, but the Packers had a glaring need there and for roughly $700K he's a guy that has at least played the position at the NFL level.

I'm not saying I want him to become Jerry Jones and spend spend spend, but he needs to dabble in free agency more than he does. I just believe with his style we will always be good to really good (a lot of that due to AR) but in order to be great he needs to use all the tools at his disposal. The ironic thing is, is that when he has dabbled in it, he has been successful. Wood/Pepp/Guion to a certain extent I mean he can do it he just refuses to.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With your screen name are you 100% certain that you want to make the argument that TT would never move on from a high profile vet in favor of the young guy at QB? Seriously?

Why do you guys keep using Favre/Rodgers as a counter example to my Flynn/Wilson example. It is not even remotely the same situation.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am/have always been a TT supporter but I've reached a point to where I can't stand how little he uses free agency. The first part of this post is 1000% accurate, and you can point to more complete whiffs in free agency than hits but the 2nd part is spot on as well. Mason Foster for example, not a great player by any stretch, but the Packers had a glaring need there and for roughly $700K he's a guy that has at least played the position at the NFL level.

I'm not saying I want him to become Jerry Jones and spend spend spend, but he needs to dabble in free agency more than he does. I just believe with his style we will always be good to really good (a lot of that due to AR) but in order to be great he needs to use all the tools at his disposal. The ironic thing is, is that when he has dabbled in it, he has been successful. Wood/Pepp/Guion to a certain extent I mean he can do it he just refuses to.

The problem isn't necessarily that he won't, he just won't spend. We only got Woodson because he was a good deal and no other team wanted him.

D

Deleted member 6794

That is the point. Things happen. NE went a 10 year window with 0 super bowls. No one wanted to fire their gm. Green Bay has gone 5 years and a group wants to oust a gm who has made the playoffs the last 7 years

With the team having the best QB in the league just making the playoffs isn't good enough for me.

Because TT hasn't been as good as possibly the greatest successful run in NFL history is not a good reason to get rid of him.

The odds of a another GM coming in a replicating the Patriots is just about zero.

Once again, having the best QB in the league the team should aim to be THE best in the league every single season, not being one of the last 8 standing.

Right, but he HAS been better at building through the draft than most teams. I get the frustration in the playoff burn outs, but to me that's just football; it's really hard to win a Super Bowl. We've been consistently good to very good over the last 7 years, including winning one Super Bowl. We've had some breaks go against us, and we've certainly had some roster holes that we could have filled to have a more complete team. So I realize there are things to nitpick, but there are a lot of franchises that would trade their last 7 years for the Packers'. If it's ridiculous for him to think that he's better than everyone else at building through the draft, when he's built a successful franchise that way, wouldn't it be even more naive for him to think he'd be better in free agency than most teams? A LOT of teams fail spectacularly in free agency, and that's a much better way to run your franchise into the ground.

I don't think Thompson has been better than most teams building through the draft over the last five seasons. Taking a look at the past several seasons as well as heading into the next offseason only using the draft to improve the team will result in the roster having some positions in desperate need of an upgrade.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you guys keep using Favre/Rodgers as a counter example to my Flynn/Wilson example. It is not even remotely the same situation.

Your right. It was an exponentially a much more controversial and harder decision than the one Seattle made.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other poster threw out Denver as an example of a team wildly blowing money on FA's and I simply pointed out that they have a really good team brought about by drafting and signing FA's. They have managed to build a great team around the large salary hit of Peyton's because their GM was willing to spend the money on the needed players.
and yet they have won nothing yet. Nothing. Not a single playoff game this year and when was their last super bowl? Next year they have some big UFA's, Malik Jackson, Von Miller, a couple starting safeties, a couple starting DE's a couple tackles a starting guard, Peyton probably won't last the playoffs let alone another year and their back up QB is also a UFA. They look to be in great shape going forward.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts