Training Camp Position Battles

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Competition for the last spot on CB will be interesting.

Joe Whitt believes Herb Waters can be the next Sam Shields success story and has same ability as Tramon Williams. I'd like to see what Waters can do when healthy.

"He has that ability in his body that, don’t be surprised, like I told you in ’09 about Tramon (Williams), I said that Tramon was the best cover guy that we had, I think you thought I was crazy at the time, but at the end of the year and going into ’10, he was. This kid has that type of ability. He does."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...keeping-herb-waters-mix-cornerback/430588002/

Pipkins showed a little of what he can do in garbage time. Goodson has special teams experiences but is replaceable, he feels like the odd man out.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.not just at cb but everywhere.
LOL Okay. Hence the title is training camp position battles... BUT If you want to talk about some positions that starters may lose, its Punter and ILB. Jake Ryan may lose his job to Burks. Vogel will battle it out with JK Scott, I believe Scott will take it. If you want to talk special teams, I believe punt/kickoff return may be field by one of the new rookie WR or Alexander.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I highly doubt Vogel will make the team after the Packers spent a fifth round pick to draft Scott.
Unless Scott just isn't as good as Vogel ;) Ideally, they both punt the crap out of the ball in preseason and one of them elevates themselves to trade bait. :)

Another aspect of Scott that I like, that I haven't seen mentioned enough, he kicks off and can kick FG/XP's. While it doesn't happen often, but if Crosby would get hurt, at least Scott provides very capable backup during that game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unless Scott just isn't as good as Vogel ;) Ideally, they both punt the crap out of the ball in preseason and one of them elevates themselves to trade bait. :)

Another aspect of Scott that I like, that I haven't seen mentioned enough, he kicks off and can kick FG/XP's. While it doesn't happen often, but if Crosby would get hurt, at least Scott provides very capable backup during that game.

It's hard to imagine that another team would be interested in trading for a punter as they could sign him once he's been released.

Scott at least seems to be pretty accurate on extra points (10-for-10) although that might not mean a whole lot as the NFL uses different rules.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's hard to imagine that another team would be interested in trading for a punter as they could sign him once he's been released.

I know, some people can't even imagine drafting a punter, yet alone trade for one. ;) But if I am a team in need of a quality punter and the Packers have 2, I may offer them a late round pick, instead of hoping to get him off of waivers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, some people can't even imagine drafting a punter, yet alone trade for one. ;) But if I am a team in need of a quality punter and the Packers have 2, I may offer them a late round pick, instead of hoping to get him off of waivers.

That's what I was thinking. If you are a team last in line for a waiver claim it might be worth a 7th rounder

D

Deleted member 6794

All-Pro punter Andy Lee is the only punter that has been traded over the last 13 years. Therefore I believe the chances of the Packers being able to acquire a draft pick in return for either Scott or Vogel are pretty slim.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is trading for one of our punters. the new guy hasn't wont a spot yet and the old guy was no Craig Hentrich

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All-Pro punter Andy Lee is the only punter that has been traded over the last 13 years. Therefore I believe the chances of the Packers being able to acquire a draft pick in return for either Scott or Vogel are pretty slim.

Actually, just recently the Broncos traded Punter Riley Dixon to the Giants for a 2019 conditional seventh-round pick.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're right about that. It seems like Pro Football Reference hasn't included that trade in their query results as it's still a conditional pick.

Like I said, that would be the ideal situation, a combination of both punters having an excellent preseason and another teams desperate need for a quality punter. Will it happen? Maybe, but I doubt it. However, I can quite easily see both punters doing well in the NFL and I would be willing to bet both are starters come September.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, I can quite easily see both punters doing well in the NFL and I would be willing to bet both are starters come September.

If some of the rumors I read about Vogel on the forum are true he might not have a job in September.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If some of the rumors I read about Vogel on the forum are true he might not have a job in September.

not sure if that was tongue in cheek? ;)

I think if we were going off of forum rumors, Hundley, Janis, insert name here, would be having FHOF careers.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Competition for the last spot on CB will be interesting.

Joe Whitt believes Herb Waters can be the next Sam Shields success story and has same ability as Tramon Williams. I'd like to see what Waters can do when healthy.

"He has that ability in his body that, don’t be surprised, like I told you in ’09 about Tramon (Williams), I said that Tramon was the best cover guy that we had, I think you thought I was crazy at the time, but at the end of the year and going into ’10, he was. This kid has that type of ability. He does."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...keeping-herb-waters-mix-cornerback/430588002/

Pipkins showed a little of what he can do in garbage time. Goodson has special teams experiences but is replaceable, he feels like the odd man out.

Herb Waters is the next Sam Shields, moving on from Josh Hawkins already?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have a very hard time getting excited about Herb F*&king Waters*. Sorry, but this will be his 3rd year in the NFL and he has seen how many regular season snaps as a CB converted from a WR?

*Said....with all due respect to Mr. Waters. ;)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a very hard time getting excited about Herb F*&king Waters*. Sorry, but this will be his 3rd year in the NFL and he has seen how many regular season snaps as a CB converted from a WR?

*Said....with all due respect to Mr. Waters. ;)
I kind of am. I want to see what he can do given a chance. He had to have shown something to stand out for them to switch his position. Most guys that don't have it just get cut. They made it a point to try and keep him. Then he was out all of last year on IR with a shoulder injury sustained in an OTAi think.

Regardless of our recent DB play, we have had some goood ones get coached up here so I do believe they can recognize talent. I'm not expecting a **** down corner, but I do want to see what he can do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I kind of am. I want to see what he can do given a chance. He had to have shown something to stand out for them to switch his position. Most guys that don't have it just get cut. They made it a point to try and keep him. Then he was out all of last year on IR with a shoulder injury sustained in an OTAi think.

Regardless of our recent DB play, we have had some goood ones get coached up here so I do believe they can recognize talent. I'm not expecting a **** down corner, but I do want to see what he can do.
I guess I look at what the Packers did in Free Agency and the draft, 4 new CB's, that leads me to believe that even the Packers aren't holding out too much hope for Herb to be that good. Granted, his bad luck with injuries has prevented him from showing what he can do in a game and I am sure what he has done in practice has kept the Packers interested, but still I'm not expecting much if he ever does see playing time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I look at what the Packers did in Free Agency and the draft, 4 new CB's, that leads me to believe that even the Packers aren't holding out too much hope for Herb to be that good. Granted, his bad luck with injuries has prevented him from showing what he can do in a game and I am sure what he has done in practice has kept the Packers interested, but still I'm not expecting much if he ever does see playing time.

I don't agree.

Waters is very unproven, but obviously talented or Whitt wouldn't have said what he did.

However, you don't shy away from drafting high caliber CB's and signing veterans because of a guy like Waters. I don't think it means they don't think he's no good, it just means they don't know what they have yet.

I'll give you a bold take. Whether it is with our team or another, Herb Waters will make a 53 man roster if he's healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't agree.

Waters is very unproven, but obviously talented or Whitt wouldn't have said what he did.

However, you don't shy away from drafting high caliber CB's and signing veterans because of a guy like Waters. I don't think it means they don't think he's no good, it just means they don't know what they have yet.

I'll give you a bold take. Whether it is with our team or another, Herb Waters will make a 53 man roster if he's healthy.

You also don't build your depth around a lot of unknowns or marginal players, that is what got us into trouble at CB to begin with. Randall, Rollins, Gunter, etc. were all guys who "showed promise", but to me they proved to be nothing more than JAGS that Whitt couldn't get to play consistently well.

Call me a skeptic, but until Whitt starts putting productive CB's not named Sam Shields on the field, I will believe his take on Waters.

Members online

Latest posts