Training Camp Position Battles

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong but it seems like some are thinking that Burks is headed for DB and not linebacker. I'm not so sure of that. He looks like he has some blitzing skills.

H

HardRightEdge

I may be wrong but it seems like some are thinking that Burks is headed for DB and not linebacker. I'm not so sure of that. He looks like he has some blitzing skills.
I think it's pretty clear he's pegged for that hybrid ILB role. Some of us just don't think he'll be out there for 3 downs because of his run defense. But when you get down to it, there's not a lot a difference between a hybrid ILB vs. a 3 safety set with one in the box. Same player doing the same things by a different name. Like Burnett, Burks looks like a safety they'd like to have perform linebacker-like coverage tasks.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it implausible that three players among the Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson and House group will sit on the bench in nickel in lieu of Pipkins. That four of these players were collected in the offseason should tell what they think of Pipkins as a nickel starter.
Hence I say rotational, not 'starter.'
Probably be in for a play or two to refreshing up legs. As for gunner, Pipkins definitely has a chance. Packers special teams ace is usually a saftey or cb. I dont see Goodson making the team. Rollins.. sure but Goodsons time is up.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham is basically a big WR. We will be seeing multiple tight end sets with Graham motioning into WR slot and Lewis in-line.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear he's pegged for that hybrid ILB role. Some of us just don't think he'll be out there for 3 downs because of his run defense. But when you get down to it, there's not a lot a difference between a hybrid ILB vs. a 3 safety set with one in the box. Same player doing the same things by a different name. Like Burnett, Burks looks like a safety they'd like to have perform linebacker-like coverage tasks.
What I liked in that other video was the way he waited for an opening before he charged into the backfield. I am really sick and tired of watching Packers blitzing when there is no room for them to move. Simply clogging up the middle. Just a waste of a player in downs like those. Not sure why you are calling him a DB. He looks like a linebacker to me. Looked like a strong lower body. Maybe he can turn out like Brian Urlacher. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Granted, especially Rollins. Achilles injuries can be career enders. Goodson's hamstring last season got to questionable by week 15 but evidently not good enough to keep him off IR in week 16. He might be OK, might not.

I was actually talking about Goodson's knee injury in 2015 from which he returned last season but might have lost some speed in the process.

I believe the Packers hope Burks to develop into their primary coverage linebacker.

I dont see Goodson making the team. Rollins.. sure but Goodsons time is up.

I'm not convinced Rollins will end up making the roster.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Rollins will end up making the roster.
Oh for sure. Rollins chances are slim now, but once pads are on, chances are someone, especially the CB position (happens every year) will get injured.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rewatched the week 16 vs vikings game.. and damn.. Jordy was horrible, the blocking was horrible. Felt like everyone has given up. I know Hundley ain't that great either but cmon.. the team and coaches weren't giving Hundley much. On one play Richard Rodgers just puts one hand on a guy and let's him slip and he tackles Hundley on RPO play. Feels bad man.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh for sure. Rollins chances are slim now, but once pads are on, chances are someone, especially the CB position (happens every year) will get injured.

That doesn't change that there's a distinct possibility Rollins doesn't end up making the roster though as he struggled before suffering a gruesome injury last season and it's tough to rebound from a torn Achilles.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't change that there's a distinct possibility Rollins doesn't end up making the roster though as he struggled before suffering a gruesome injury last season and it's tough to rebound from a torn Achilles.
Dont get where you're going with this but ok.

Members online

Latest posts