Trade for OBJ??

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My bad, misunderstood your post. Unfortunately the Packers don't have $9 million of cap space to spend on a veteran player as HRE has correctly pointed out in several posts. In addition I wouldn't be keen on Beckham counting $24 million towards the cap in 2019.
I wouldn't be keen on it either. Since a lot would be guaranteed, a higher signing bonus prorated over 5 years would help lower the 2nd year jump. Push it down the road a bit. we don't have the room for a roster bonus. A few pieces would need to be redone to free a bit more space, just not necessarily Cobb. This was a thought experiment to see if it could be done and Evans' and Hopkins' contracts show a pattern and likely valuation - ego be damned.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People say this as if all the Packers have to do is wave a stick and its magically done. Don't forget Cobb has to agree to it first. I'm confident that if he were cut he would sign a 3 year deal (at least) of 8-10 million a year with probably 20 million guaranteed. After what has happened to WRs this FA period Randall Cobb really has no incentive whatsoever to do anything to his contract. If the Packers say " Restructure or we cut you" If I'm Cobb I say "Go ahead and cut away." Yeah, I would listen to their offer but I think many fans are expecting him to cut his salary in half for him to be worth it and if I'm Cobb I'm not even considering taking anything less than 8 million a year and even then the guarantee would have to be pretty darn good.

They are not going to be able to clear up anything close to OBJ money by simply restructuring Cobb because I don't think he would come nearly as cheap as many think he would.
With the amount of money being thrown at wrs this free agency and with cap going up his salary hit is gonna look like a bargain down the rd anyways.. they ain’t gonna do anything Cobb won’t be cut if they did cut him Rodgers is gonna be effing pissed off more than he is now

D

Deleted member 6794

With the amount of money being thrown at wrs this free agency and with cap going up his salary hit is gonna look like a bargain down the rd anyways..

Taking a look at Cobb numbers over the past three seasons I can't imagine the deal he signed four years ago will ever be considered a bargain.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the amount of money being thrown at wrs this free agency and with cap going up his salary hit is gonna look like a bargain down the rd anyways.. they ain’t gonna do anything Cobb won’t be cut if they did cut him Rodgers is gonna be effing pissed off more than he is now

First of all where is it said that Rodgers is pissed off second of all who cares. Brett Favre found out how fast some fans can turn on their heroes when their egos get in the way. I can imagine Rodgers might get a little more rope but he is perfectly able to hang himself as well. At least in some fans eyes.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all where is it said that Rodgers is pissed off second of all who cares.

The Packers definitely shouldn't risk their franchise quarterback getting pissed. I don't believe that would happen because of the team moving on from Cobb though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking a vacation right before a big playoff game and taking your young teammates with you is being a good team player? I don't know, I would have been a bit pissed off if I was the other 48 guys, especially after watching how poorly they played following the Miami trip.

No doubt OBJ is talented and he probably would be a big upgrade in the Packers WR group, but for what it would cost to acquire him, pay him and then possibly deal with some of his antics, I would pass if I was Gute.

He's a young guy, they do dumb stuff. It's not like he's yelling at teammates or throwing coaches under the bus. I'm just hesitant to swear off a guy who could be the best WR in the NFL over something he did a year ago.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beckham's teammates may have had a h*ll of a time down on South Beach and don't have a bad thing to say about him. That still makes him a bad teammate and leader for taking their eye off the ball as well as his own. That's just one of the many notable distractions to his credit.

Well, I was asking for the other notable distractions. I'm aware of the Miami trip. What are the other notable distractions? And please, being silly with a kicking net is not a notable distraction; it's a ridiculous topic for the NY media to obsess over.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, I was asking for the other notable distractions. I'm aware of the Miami trip. What are the other notable distractions? And please, being silly with a kicking net is not a notable distraction; it's a ridiculous topic for the NY media to obsess over.
Google "Odell Beckahm distractions".

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Giants were interested, I'd trade our 2019 1st Round Pick, CM3, and Cobb for OBJ and Giants 2019 4th Round Pick if we can agree in principle on a contract. I'm not a Cap ****, but I imagine if we can get rid of both we'd be looking fairly decent cap wise.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Giants were interested, I'd trade our 2019 1st Round Pick, CM3, and Cobb for OBJ and Giants 2019 4th Round Pick if we can agree in principle on a contract. I'm not a Cap ****, but I imagine if we can get rid of both we'd be looking fairly decent cap wise.
.... and we would have noone decent at OLB .... and no money to sign anyone even if somebody were available assuming you actually want to sign OBJ go that 18 million dollar plus contract he is demanding. Oh and why the 2019 first round pick? just looking to delay the hurt until next year?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.... and we would have noone decent at OLB .... and no money to sign anyone even if somebody were available assuming you actually want to sign OBJ go that 18 million dollar plus contract he is demanding. Oh and why the 2019 first round pick? just looking to delay the hurt until next year?

Call me naive but every time I do a mock I can come out with no less than 2 good edge rushers. Blake and Jake had to play big time football when they came in, and both of them were selected in the 4th Round. I'm confident we will have an edge rusher no later than the 3rd, and with an upgraded defensive line, who we have, to include Blake and Jake, should look better because of it. Gute has 12 picks; if he capitalizes on each one we could look very good.

Not to mention, this fits right into MM's strategy. With AR throwing to OBJ, Adams, and Jimmy, we can score 42, the defense just has to make sure they don't give up 43.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is one of the worst trade proposals I think i've seen. 1st rounder? Cobb and Matthews? for a guy that lays down when he should be rising up? So his gloves can make the occassional 1 handed catch. BFD.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Call me naive but every time I do a mock I can come out with no less than 2 good edge rushers. Blake and Jake had to play big time football when they came in, and both of them were selected in the 4th Round. I'm confident we will have an edge rusher no later than the 3rd, and with an upgraded defensive line, who we have, to include Blake and Jake, should look better because of it. Gute has 12 picks; if he capitalizes on each one we could look very good.

Not to mention, this fits right into MM's strategy. With AR throwing to OBJ, Adams, and Jimmy, we can score 42, the defense just has to make sure they don't give up 43.

I don't care who you bring in as WR, you can't rely on your team to score 42 points to win games. Is OBJ someone who could help the Packer offense? Probably, but at what total cost? Future picks and even worse, the salary of 3 guys. These are the types of players you hope to draft and develop, but sorry, I'm not giving up multiple picks and a huge chunk of my cap on a guy like OBJ.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who you bring in as WR, you can't rely on your team to score 42 points to win games. Is OBJ someone who could help the Packer offense? Probably, but at what total cost? Future picks and even worse, the salary of 3 guys. These are the types of players you hope to draft and develop, but sorry, I'm not giving up multiple picks and a huge chunk of my cap on a guy like OBJ.
On the other hand... if I'm the Giants... I would jump on that offer immediately lol.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Presumably the 2019 first round pick will be back towards the end of the first round as it normally is. So instead of #14 it's #28

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Presumably the 2019 first round pick will be back towards the end of the first round as it normally is. So instead of #14 it's #28
Not if we further hamper the defense by getting rid of our only edge rusher.... regardless of what one may think about his salary.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider doing it because he seems like too much of a diva to want to be in Green Bay after this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

It might be possible to draft two edge rushers who turn out to be pretty good in the long haul but by trading Matthews you force Pettine to start one of the immediately. It takes most rookies some time to develop into an impact player.

In addition it's unrealistic to expect Gutekunst to hit on all 12 selections in this year's draft.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely shouldn't risk their franchise quarterback getting pissed. I don't believe that would happen because of the team moving on from Cobb though.

By all accounts he's not happy they moved on from nelson and his quaterback coach van pelt

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Our defense can easily give up

if our defense isn’t better and we don’t get better in the secondary I can easily see us getting tiki torched and giving up 43 points on a regular basis lol

Latest posts