Trade for OBJ??

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh? Are you even serious?

Jesus christ you dont even know the where any of these guys play or care to see the value difference in either of them.

Yeah because there's no way you could slide HHCD to SS, a position he's probably better suited for, in order to bring in arguably the best Saftey in the game to a defense that has been the Achilles heel and is in desperate need of playmakers in the secondary.

Let's bring in a guy to a offense that will be a top 10 offense without him and who will cost more to acquire, more to retain and get to share targets with two other players that just signed huge deals and will need the ball to along with a couple emerging RBs. All with the added bonus of now having 45 million locked into 3 receiving targets

If you actually think adding OBJ impact on this team is greater then adding Earl Thomas then there's really just no point in responding any more.

The fact you tried bringing up "value" between the two, when talking about which would be better for the Packers to acquire, is just silly. You can love OBJ but if you can still actually look at the two players intelligently you'd understand one player present a huge upgrade to a unit that desperatey needs it were as bringing in the other comes with diminishing returns regardless of how great he is.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/QUOTE]
Yeah because there's no way you could slide HHCD to SS, a position he's probably better suited for, in order to bring in arguably the best Saftey in the game to a defense that has been the Achilles heel and is in desperate need of playmakers in the secondary.

Let's bring in a guy to a offense that will be a top 10 offense without him and who will cost more to acquire, more to retain and get to share targets with two other players that just signed huge deals and will need the ball to along with a couple emerging RBs. All with the added bonus of now having 45 million locked into 3 receiving targets

If you actually think adding OBJ impact on this team is greater then adding Earl Thomas then there's really just no point in responding any more.

The fact you tried bringing up "value" between the two, when talking about which would be better for the Packers to acquire, is just silly. You can love OBJ but if you can still actually look at the two players intelligently you'd understand one player present a huge upgrade to a unit that desperatey needs it were as bringing in the other comes with diminishing returns regardless of how great he is.

You lost me immediately the second you said slide HHCD to SS. NO.

Yes, he is a bigger impact that Earl Thomas. There should be zero question about that. You want to talk money? Fine, I am ok with you raising concerns all day about the impact that OBJ would have on our cap and the fanagling it would take to continue to pay Rodgers, OBJ, Adams, and Perry over the next few seasons. But if you want to talk impact on the field it shouldn't even be a question. Earl Thomas is good, but so is HHCD. And they are both FS's. Don't get that twisted. Neither are going to play SS, especially in Pettine's system.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unless you think Thomas could be a corner or pass rusher I am not sure what unit he is sorely upgrading. Because he doesn't offer much an upgrade from HHCD. And neither of them are safeties that play a hybrid LB in the box so that means you now have 2 FS's and probably have to move on from HHCD because you brought in Bennett.

On the other hand. OBJ would be infinitely our best WR. And that would make Adams our #2 over Geronimo Allison.

This is tough guys. Not sure where the upgrade is....

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you think Thomas could be a corner or pass rusher I am not sure what unit he is sorely upgrading. Because he doesn't offer much an upgrade from HHCD. And neither of them are safeties that play a hybrid LB in the box so that means you now have 2 FS's and probably have to move on from HHCD because you brought in Bennett.

On the other hand. OBJ would be infinitely our best WR. And that would make Adams our #2 over Geronimo Allison.

This is tough guys. Not sure where the upgrade is....

There's so much very much wrong with this. Pretty much the entire post. But I did actually laugh when you said "he doesn't offer much of an upgrade over HHCD".

Good stuff. Now I'm convinced I got suckered in by someone trying to troll. Well played good sir..... Well played

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's so much very much wrong with this. Pretty much the entire post. But I did actually laugh when you said "he doesn't offer much of an upgrade over HHCD".

Good stuff. Now I'm convinced I got suckered in by someone trying to troll. Well played good sir..... Well played

Which part is wrong? I understand the argument that you think Earl Thomas provides an upgrade over HHCD based on the second half of last season. I don't agree with it. But then again it doesn't merit arguing with you because you also think we should move HHCD to SS.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with your logic... but I'm not sure Earl Thomas is the same guy he once was. I would prefer not to risk much to find out. As to OBJ no thank you for many reasons salary being one of the biggest.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your logic... but I'm not sure Earl Thomas is the same guy he once was. I would prefer not to risk much to find out. As to OBJ no thank you for many reasons salary being one of the biggest.

Oh I agree. Was simply saying one makes more sense then the other. Not that I wanted to do either

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't recall Beckham taking his receiver posse to Miami for a boat outing days before the 2016 playoff game against the Packers? And how Beckham was a no show in that game?

Nobody has explained how the Packers would pay for this guy which should have been a first step in suggesting it.

And even if you can work through all of the knucklehead and cap issues, there's no guarantee he would have this kind of chemistry with Rodgers:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
How is taking a vacation being a bad teammate? Again, maybe a distraction, maybe. But none of his teammates have said anything negative, he's never talked about teammates in any negative fashion, and he's a hard worker. We can all sit here and demand that young millionaires not any like young millionaires, and the NFL is very good at scrubbing any hint of personality or fun out of the players, but his talent level FAR exceeds a bag vacation picture three years ago.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How is taking a vacation being a bad teammate? Again, maybe a distraction, maybe. But none of his teammates have said anything negative, he's never talked about teammates in any negative fashion, and he's a hard worker. We can all sit here and demand that young millionaires not any like young millionaires, and the NFL is very good at scrubbing any hint of personality or fun out of the players, but his talent level FAR exceeds a bag vacation picture three years ago.

Taking a vacation right before a big playoff game and taking your young teammates with you is being a good team player? I don't know, I would have been a bit pissed off if I was the other 48 guys, especially after watching how poorly they played following the Miami trip.

No doubt OBJ is talented and he probably would be a big upgrade in the Packers WR group, but for what it would cost to acquire him, pay him and then possibly deal with some of his antics, I would pass if I was Gute.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if my teammate was partying on vacation before a playoff game, It wouldn't endear to me that person that's for sure. I've seen more dedication out of guys in high school. Scrubbing personality out of a player? I'd scrub that piece of **** right out of my locker room. Be your personality, but your *** better show up on the field when it counts. His didn't, that's what happens when you party your *** off and let everyone else down.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love Earl Thomas and I've always hoped the Packers could end up with him one day. The thing that would possibly sway me toward odb is age. They are both clearly the best at their positions. But Thomas will be 29 in May and odb won't be 26 til November. Also the money's not gonna be all that different. Thomas wants 15 million per and odb 20 so it's 5 million per that were talking about. Honestly I'd be happy with either or without and see what we can get in the draft

H

HardRightEdge

Beckham's teammates may have had a h*ll of a time down on South Beach and don't have a bad thing to say about him. That still makes him a bad teammate and leader for taking their eye off the ball as well as his own. That's just one of the many notable distractions to his credit.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean we didn't have to pay Rison like a top flight QB or trade high draft picks for the right to do so....... So there's that

This, Rison came cheap and since Robert Brooks was out for the season and we only needed him for a short-term deal. But in this case we'd be talking too much for too little, and for a guy who's one of the most toxic personalities in the league.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if my teammate was partying on vacation before a playoff game, It wouldn't endear to me that person that's for sure. I've seen more dedication out of guys in high school. Scrubbing personality out of a player? I'd scrub that piece of **** right out of my locker room. Be your personality, but your *** better show up on the field when it counts. His didn't, that's what happens when you party your *** off and let everyone else down.

Well, to be fair in high school and college the coaches got pretty tight control of your activities as a player and since you're not getting paid or part of a union, you don't even think of goin off and doing your own thing or having an above the law attitude, and if you don't the coach can bench you with absolutely no repercussions coming his way.

But yeah, I'd say what I saw out of OBJ over the last few years is that he has just about no maturity out there as he showed in one particular game against Josh Norman, and like a few other players I've known is that when things don't go his way he takes the usual blame everyone but himself posture. I can certainly think of a few teams he'd fit right in with but Green Bay is not one of them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plenty of guys went off smoking and drinking within an hour after the game and still played next week. And I know I was a bit different at 26 than 16. Odell lacks maturity, and I don't think he'll get it

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could restructure or extend Cobb to create more space.

People say this as if all the Packers have to do is wave a stick and its magically done. Don't forget Cobb has to agree to it first. I'm confident that if he were cut he would sign a 3 year deal (at least) of 8-10 million a year with probably 20 million guaranteed. After what has happened to WRs this FA period Randall Cobb really has no incentive whatsoever to do anything to his contract. If the Packers say " Restructure or we cut you" If I'm Cobb I say "Go ahead and cut away." Yeah, I would listen to their offer but I think many fans are expecting him to cut his salary in half for him to be worth it and if I'm Cobb I'm not even considering taking anything less than 8 million a year and even then the guarantee would have to be pretty darn good.

They are not going to be able to clear up anything close to OBJ money by simply restructuring Cobb because I don't think he would come nearly as cheap as many think he would.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Also if the Packers were inclined to trade away multiple high picks for the right to pay a guy big money wouldn't Earl Thomas make infinitely more sense also? He'd be cheaper to acquire, wouldn't cost as much on his extension and would make a much bigger impact on the team overall.

(I'm not advocating sending high picks for him but if OBJ continues to pop up in threads it boggles the mind why people wouldn't prefer the all pro, playmaking Saftey who'd come cheaper)

Gee, why would people not discuss trading for Earl Thomas in a Trade for Odell Beckham thread?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0d1065f9-fa71-465f-9843-e66ef64c6705

If you want to discuss trading for Earl Thomas maybe you should start a thread about that. Of course someone would probably still bring up OBJ.

D

Deleted member 6794

Top 5 WR or guy who was contemplating retirement and also plays the same position as Dix? Not even sure why that is a question if there was a world in which the trades were equal.

Don't fool yourself, Thomas would present a huge upgrade over Clinton-Dix. Pettine would be able to trust him being effective as a single high safety which is of concern with HHCD.

It's a waste of time discussing about it though as the Packers don't have the necessary cap space to make a move for Thomas.

People say this as if all the Packers have to do is wave a stick and its magically done. Don't forget Cobb has to agree to it first. I'm confident that if he were cut he would sign a 3 year deal (at least) of 8-10 million a year with probably 20 million guaranteed. After what has happened to WRs this FA period Randall Cobb really has no incentive whatsoever to do anything to his contract. If the Packers say " Restructure or we cut you" If I'm Cobb I say "Go ahead and cut away." Yeah, I would listen to their offer but I think many fans are expecting him to cut his salary in half for him to be worth it and if I'm Cobb I'm not even considering taking anything less than 8 million a year and even then the guarantee would have to be pretty darn good.

They are not going to be able to clear up anything close to OBJ money by simply restructuring Cobb because I don't think he would come nearly as cheap as many think he would.

True, the Packers would have to release Cobb after trading for Beckham.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
True, the Packers would have to release Cobb after trading for Beckham.
Why? Using Mike Evans * as a base. $20m signing bonus (Mike got a $10m roster bonus instead,) $5m this year, $20m next and upper teens for years 3-5 (Mike's pay decreases over this stretch.) Guarantee Years 1 and 2. Years 3-5 become guaranteed by say March 17 of the preceding contract year. Year three guarantees next year by this time. He would cost $9m cap this season, less than Jordy would have. Low $20s for the remainder of his deal. Maybe cut costs a bit by guaranteeing years 1-3 now and knock $2-3m off the annual salary. Add back in the good conduct clauses and workout and per game bonuses.

Mike Evans signed a 5 year, $82.5 million extension with the Buccaneers on March 12, 2018. Evans received $55 million in guarantees, $38.258 million of which is guaranteed at signing. Evans guarantee consists of a $10 million 2018 roster bonus, a $8.258 million 2018 salary, and $20 million 2019 salary. If Evans is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2019 league year, $11.75 million of his 2020 salary will vest from injury to fully guaranteed. The balance becomes fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2020 league year. If Evans is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2023 league year he will receive a $1.5 million roster bonus.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why? Using Mike Evans * as a base. $20m signing bonus (Mike got a $10m roster bonus instead,) $5m this year, $20m next and upper teens for years 3-5 (Mike's pay decreases over this stretch.) Guarantee Years 1 and 2. Years 3-5 become guaranteed by say March 17 of the preceding contract year. Year three guarantees next year by this time. He would cost $9m cap this season, less than Jordy would have. Low $20s for the remainder of his deal. Maybe cut costs a bit by guaranteeing years 1-3 now and knock $2-3m off the annual salary. Add back in the good conduct clauses and workout and per game bonuses.

Evans has a cap hit of $18.258 million this season as he received a $10 million roster bonus as well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Evans has a cap hit of $18.258 million this season as he received a $10 million roster bonus as well.
Yeah I said that. Looks like he got that instead of the signing bonus as he has nothing prorated. We'd have to do the signing bonus route this time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I said that. Looks like he got that instead of the signing bonus as he has nothing prorated. We'd have to do the signing bonus route this time.

My bad, misunderstood your post. Unfortunately the Packers don't have $9 million of cap space to spend on a veteran player as HRE has correctly pointed out in several posts. In addition I wouldn't be keen on Beckham counting $24 million towards the cap in 2019.