• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
After yesterday you still feel the same. To me it seems if that 31 year old wr was playing for the Packers yesterday, the bucs would of had to play defense much differently...

Yes, I still feel the same. My opinion was not based on the hot start of the season, and it does not change on the basis of a bad offensive game.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I still feel the same. My opinion was not based on the hot start of the season, and it does not change on the basis of a bad offensive game.

I don't think it's just one bad offensive game...I think it's what happens if you only have 2 weapons against a very good very fast defense. Happened twice last season against 49ers as well and why would we think it won't happen again this year if the bucs end up a playoff opponent?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2nd pick was just a great play by davis ll nothing you can do about that. But perhaps if you had julio on the other side davis would if been on jones and Adam would if been open for an easy completion. Or vice versa but point being very few teams if any have 2cbs that could win consistently against adams and jones. I would say davis won consistently against adams yesterday. But if jones was on other side I think he has a big game because whoever their other corner was he can't hold julio

There linebackers combined for 2.5 sacks lavonte david 1.5 and Devin white 1

To me it seemed they blitzed quite a bit. May have only been 5 but I'm not sure. Either way their defense was just so fast that it doesn't really matter if it was 4 or more than 4. This was a game they needed 2 guys that could win quick off the snap. Their one guy who can consistently do that didn't today and the defense was good enough to make the Packers pay for that. Also obviously the fact they completely took aaron jones out if the game was huge

Oh and you now release Wagner 4.5m kirksey 6m and Lowry 3.3m that's 13.8m. you then back load the contracts for jones and bakh because 2021 is very likely to be the only short cap year. Maybe you have to release a few more guys probably would but that's the way it goes preston smith 8m and Billy turner 3.5m also would be possibilities...
I think Kirksey and lowry and Wagner are easy cuts, I don't think there production will be hard to replace. Kirksey was ok, but hurt and not available. Not difficult to replace that. Lowry peaked 2 years ago I think and Wagner,oof, not a good showing yesterday, but we'll see going forward.

But those are 3 guys we can probably save on, without much drop off. But Preston Smith? I know he's not having a season like last year, he's back in coverage more etc, but that is a bonafide edge rusher you're needing to replace and Turner, though not my favorite FA signing, has proven a valuable person to have. I don't think his savings would justify the cut at this point.

and they weren't going to back off if Jones was on the other side. They knew they could play up and aggressive, nobody is better in those first 2 steps than devante and they were up on him all game long. that was my point with the INT. They could play that way because they didn't have to worry about anything else and it wasn't because of who we had on the other side, they knew we weren't going to have time to deliver it.

Our oline needed to be better. We also should have helped them a bit and did some more attacking in the run game right at them.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they don't have trade fodder to use or cap space to devote. they need all their picks for the next draft to replenish the talent they're sure to lose, due to their horrid cap situation for 2021, and they need to roll over as much as they can, from this year, for the same reason. they only have 36 guys under contract for next season with rodgers taking 36.3 million of whatever the final team cap number is for next season which is projected to be 175m or slightly above.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The general consensus for why Preston Smith has been invisible this year is he's dropping into coverage a lot more. Read something the other day that last year Smith drops into coverage 18.6% of the time. this year, 19.7%. Makes the he's not so effective because he's dropping it to coverage more sound like an excuse.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kirksey and lowry and Wagner are easy cuts, I don't think there production will be hard to replace. Kirksey was ok, but hurt and not available. Not difficult to replace that. Lowry peaked 2 years ago I think and Wagner,oof, not a good showing yesterday, but we'll see going forward.

But those are 3 guys we can probably save on, without much drop off. But Preston Smith? I know he's not having a season like last year, he's back in coverage more etc, but that is a bonafide edge rusher you're needing to replace and Turner, though not my favorite FA signing, has proven a valuable person to have. I don't think his savings would justify the cut at this point.

and they weren't going to back off if Jones was on the other side. They knew they could play up and aggressive, nobody is better in those first 2 steps than devante and they were up on him all game long. that was my point with the INT. They could play that way because they didn't have to worry about anything else and it wasn't because of who we had on the other side, they knew we weren't going to have time to deliver it.

Our oline needed to be better. We also should have helped them a bit and did some more attacking in the run game right at them.

They were only able to he up on davante because they had a great corner but key there is they had 1 great corner. Mvs and company couldn't beat the other guy but julio would of.

And when they were watching julio running into the end zone instead of them knowing he was going to adams I think they may have been forced to make adjustments. I heard 2 of them talking about how they knew Rodgers was going to adams and they sat on it

I agree they should if tried to run up the middle a lot more but the game got away from them...and the bucs are pretty much the best run defense over past few seasons

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not as effective as he was last year. I never noticed him drop back that much last year, I seem him doing it quite a bit this year. I don't know that, that's the reason he's been less effective, but from watching games it does look like he's being used differently to me, regardless of what the stats say. Maybe i was just oblivious to him dropping back last year. Seems way more noticeable this year

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were only able to he up on davante because they had a great corner but key there is they had 1 great corner. Mvs and company couldn't beat the other guy but julio would of.

And when they were watching julio running into the end zone instead of them knowing he was going to adams I think they may have been forced to make adjustments. I heard 2 of them talking about how they knew Rodgers was going to adams and they sat on it

I agree they should if tried to run up the middle a lot more but the game got away from them...and the bucs are pretty much the best run defense over past few seasons
so what, you just shade a safety over on julio, they still didn't have time to do much. Even when we moved the ball, Rodgers was hit every play.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I get preston smith is good really good and he's playing more of the role fackrell did last season. But I don't think that role is worth 8 m in cap space if you can have julio jones. And you have Gary to fill the pass rusher part then you find a guy to play coverage olb

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
W
He's not as effective as he was last year. I never noticed him drop back that much last year, I seem him doing it quite a bit this year. I don't know that, that's the reason he's been less effective, but from watching games it does look like he's being used differently to me, regardless of what the stats say. Maybe i was just oblivious to him dropping back last year. Seems way more noticeable this year
hatever the stats say, I agree with you that he has not been at all effective this season. He seems to be just flailing around with no results.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think it's just one bad offensive game...I think it's what happens if you only have 2 weapons against a very good very fast defense. Happened twice last season against 49ers as well and why would we think it won't happen again this year if the bucs end up a playoff opponent?

Yesterday was more on Rodgers and the offensive line than on the wide receiving corps.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They were all terrible but the receivers were just as awful as everyone else.

EQ had a terrible game, and Adams obviously had the killer mistake of letting a ball go off his hands. But MVS provided more than one opportunity to get them back in the game with some deep separation and Rodgers just missed him.

Later in the game, Rodgers just held the ball and/or the OL didn't hold up and things really fell apart. Hard to defend or implicate the wide receiver play in that without all 22.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ had a terrible game, and Adams obviously had the killer mistake of letting a ball go off his hands. But MVS provided more than one opportunity to get them back in the game with some deep separation and Rodgers just missed him.

Later in the game, Rodgers just held the ball and/or the OL didn't hold up and things really fell apart. Hard to defend or implicate the wide receiver play in that without all 22.

Be interesting to see in that All-22 if MVS ran a good route, he tends to round things off and that leads to missed throws. That's on MVS, not Rodgers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Be interesting to see in that All-22 if MVS ran a good route, he tends to round things off and that leads to missed throws. That's on MVS, not Rodgers.

He may have done that at times, but there were two instances when he was running a 9 route and had the corner stacked and Rodgers just missed him. That's what I'm referring to. There's no rounding of routes at fault there.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so what, you just shade a safety over on julio, they still didn't have time to do much. Even when we moved the ball, Rodgers was hit every play.

Julio beats double coverage routinely... And what does shading a safety do if you're running quick routes slants, screens. Like adams you throw julio a quick screen and he's getting close to the first down marker. He can also take a slant to the house.

I get it Rodgers was under pressure. MLF refused to adjust or he didn't think he has the players to adjust

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio beats double coverage routinely... And what does shading a safety do if you're running quick routes slants, screens. Like adams you throw julio a quick screen and he's getting close to the first down marker. He can also take a slant to the house.

I get it Rodgers was under pressure. MLF refused to adjust or he didn't think he has the players to adjust
did you see the screen we tried? It was blown up before it started. think they're going to run screens if they shade a guy inside at the line and put someone right over the top? lanes are cut off. Now you're left with downfield and you don't have time.

We ran the ball at them well, we didn't do it enough. We fell behind and tried to get right back into it with a big play, we fell further behind. Then they forced our hand to pass and we were done because we couldn't block anything. I don't care who the receivers were.

anyway, i'm done. He costs too much, it would be a detriment to try and fit him here to the rest of the team and our future and Atlanta isn't going to take the cap hit to send him on his way.

D

Deleted member 6794

TOh and you now release Wagner 4.5m kirksey 6m and Lowry 3.3m that's 13.8m. you then back load the contracts for jones and bakh because 2021 is very likely to be the only short cap year.

The Packers creating $13.8 million of cap space by releasing the players you suggested would only leave them with a maximum of under $6 million to spend on free agents. That wouldn't be enough to re-sign both Bakhtiari and Jones.

Once again, the league and players association agreed to spread out the losses cause by COVID-19 over the next four years, therefore it's unrealistic to expect the cap to significantly increase for the 2022 season again.

Therefore it's completely unrealistic to think about trading for Julio Jones, it just doesn't make any sense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's not a trade, but here is the "Big" move of the week, so far for the Packers

Packers adding LB James Burgess off Falcons practice squad
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Green Bay Packers are making an addition at inside linebacker.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Packers will sign linebacker James Burgess off of the Atlanta Falcons’ practice squad.

Burgess, an undrafted free agent out of Louisville in 2017, has played in 27 career regular-season games, including 10 with the New York Jets last season. He has 163 tackles, 21 tackles for losses, eight pass breakups, 4.5 sacks, eight quarterback hits and two forced fumbles in his NFL career.

The Packers will be Burgess’ eighth NFL team. He was signed to the Falcons practice squad last Tuesday.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Packers are not in a financial situation where a high profile trade is a possibility. Could they "rent" a player nearing the end of his contract for the rest of the season? Maybe, but also unlikely.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an interesting article on CBS about who the Falcons may be interested in trading prior to the deadline.

First and by far the best name on that list was wr julio jones. They suggested a 2021 first round pick and a 2022 late round pick would be the compensation. And of five or so teams listed at the end as possible trade partners, the Packers.

It would obviously further complicate the salary cap questions exponentially. But at the same time he's one of less than a handful of wrs that might be better than davante adams.

Would you rather spend our 2021 first round pick on a wr or have julio jones? Granted jones is owed like 60 million over the next 3 years. But I don't think there would be much if any dead money involved. I'm not sure it's awfully tempting and if it wasn't for this 2020 bogus year I'd say go for it for sure...Because the cap would have gone up again

I guess you don't often get an opportunity to have 2 wrs like that on the same team with a future hall of fame qb for the last 3/4 super bowl runs of his career

Larry Fitzgerald quote speaking to kyler murray
" He's the best I've ever seen"
Murray "he look like a freak"
"He's the best I've ever seen, I'm serious man..."
Hi Quick. Thanks for finding this and for your analysis. Putting salary cap mgmt questions aside for the moment, this is tempting. That said, I'd be against it. Rationale: Julio isn't exactly young anymore. And maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the John Hadl trade (I cringe to even write about it), I hate giving up first round picks for anyone. I was relieved a few years ago when Khalil Mack went to the Bears for a bucket full of high draft picks. So I like the idea and I like to think of Adams and Jones on the same team, but I'd have to say no. If Atlanta is looking to dump people for draft capital, maybe Calvin Ridley is a possibility, but even that seems a stretch.

I'm also somewhat basing this on the return of Lazard. He's young, he's good, and while he may never reach Adams level, he looks to be a solid #2. IMO, the Packers have to spend their precious cap on resigning Bakh, Jones, and King (if that's even possible). That means limited FA activity next year. So I look for them to beef up the ILB and DL groups through the draft (something I wish they had done this year......).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Among other things, Jones $15 mil salary in 2021 is guranteed. That dog don't hunt.
Yeah I mean even if you like the idea, it's just not possible with the cap, which will likely go down next year. Off season priorities IMO are resigning Bakh, Jones, and King - and even that may be impossible. Linsley will be gone (and maybe King). FA is a non-starter, no money. Gluten is going to have to rely on the draft for at least next year, and let's hope he does a better job than this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are not in a financial situation where a high profile trade is a possibility. Could they "rent" a player nearing the end of his contract for the rest of the season? Maybe, but also unlikely.
Agreed. And I've never been a fan of giving up draft capital, for anyone. If Gluten could learn to draft, you ideally get one and maybe two impact players on rookie contracts for four years. Next year it's gonna be hard just to keep this team's top players together.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with his salary, which would average right around $12.53M/year, I think that is a bargain for a WR of his caliber. However, given the cap situation next year, the Packers probably are better off putting those resources into other positions this year and next. I also really wouldn't be bothered about losing the 32nd pick in the draft for him. :coffee:
Now that's the kind of optimism I like!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts