Trade Deadline Targets

Would you trade a 2021 first round pick & 2022 late round pick for Julio Jones

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think we'd have to send a contract their way to get Julio. Else we're at risk for being unable to sign our guys.
He is already under contract through the 2023 season and a contract that would totally be in the favor of the Packer, since the Falcons paid him all the bonuses and upfront money. That is one aspect of contracts that can really bother me, when a player already got all the upfront money and then in a trade deal, gets more via a new contract.

All that said, I think his current contract is the reason why the Falcons won't trade Jones. They would have a dead cap hit of $38.550M next year if they did and I just don't see them taking that hit.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But then again, @Pokerbrat2000 also wonders why Taysom Hill is called injury prone. He only had four seasons ended by injury in college. Nbd.

Then again @Dante's holds on to things like a dog with a bone and still thinks they are relevant. Get over yourself Man, how many games in his 3+ year NFL career has Taysom Hill missed? Keep calling him "injury prone" while continuing to try and display your intelligence.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with his salary, which would average right around $12.53M/year, I think that is a bargain for a WR of his caliber. However, given the cap situation next year, the Packers probably are better off putting those resources into other positions this year and next. I also really wouldn't be bothered about losing the 32nd pick in the draft for him. :coffee:
well I agree in theory it would be a good price to pay for him but if because of that we didn't have enough to pay Bahk then I wouldn't think it worth it.
The WR's in the draft next year are supposed to be good and a bad LT can murder a offense I don't want Bahk signing anywhere but GB even if that makes trading for Julio off the table as a viable option and with the cap set to go down I think it does

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Then again @Dante's holds on to things like a dog with a bone and still thinks they are relevant. Get over yourself Man, how many games in his 3+ year NFL career has Taysom Hill missed? Keep calling him "injury prone" while continuing to try and display your intelligence.

I will stay under myself, thank you very much!

D

Deleted member 6794

Looking at positions that might of interest to the Packers (esp. WR, CB), on teams that are angling towards being sellers at the trade deadline, this is what I've got.

Wide Receiver:
  • Mike Williams, Chargers
  • Michael Gallup, Cowboys
  • Kenny Stills, Texans
  • Curtis Samuel, Panthers
  • Brandin Cooks, Texans
  • Keelan Cole, Jaguars
  • Russell Gage, Falcons
Cornerback:
  • William Jackson, Bengals
  • Donte Jackson, Panthers
  • Casey Hayward, Chargers
  • Desmond King, Chargers
  • Bradley Roby, Texans
  • Bryce Callahan, Broncos
Linebacker/Box S:
  • Keanu Neal, Falcons
  • Denzel Perryman, Chargers

A lot of players you listed are still on their rookie deals. Mostly teams that are out of contention don't trade players like that but veterans to save some cap space.

If the trade was executed at the deadline, the team acquiring Jones would be on the hook for 9/16 of his 2020 salary, $6.3 mil.

FWIW the Packers would be on the hook for 9/17 of Jones' 2020 base salary if they acquired him which would be $5.9 million.

All that said, I think his current contract is the reason why the Falcons won't trade Jones. They would have a dead cap hit of $38.550M next year if they did and I just don't see them taking that hit.

The Falcons trading Jones would result in a net loss of $2.27 million of cap space for next season for them. With them already in a worse situation than the Packers regarding the cap I don't see them trading one of their best players and add additional cap hit in the process.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with his salary, which would average right around $12.53M/year, I think that is a bargain for a WR of his caliber. However, given the cap situation next year, the Packers probably are better off putting those resources into other positions this year and next. I also really wouldn't be bothered about losing the 32nd pick in the draft for him. :coffee:
would you rather lose a guy like Clark and a 1st round pick to keep Julio for a year or 2 for 20 some million bucks?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A lot of players you listed are still on their rookie deals. Mostly teams that are out of contention don't trade players like that but veterans to save some cap space.

FWIW the Packers would be on the hook for 9/17 of Jones' 2020 base salary if they acquired him which would be $5.9 million.

The Falcons trading Jones would result in a net loss of $2.27 million of cap space for next season for them. With them already in a worse situation than the Packers regarding the cap I don't see them trading one of their best players and add additional cap hit in the process.

That’s true, but I intentionally only listed players who are at or near the end of that first contract. It’s not atypical for teams to be willing to trade such players if they don’t intend to extend them.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or perhaps Julio would be OK with a cap-friendly adjustment to have a legit shot at a ring?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how does that work? They take big bucks to spread it out over the long term. No way i want to give him more money up front to spread it out. Those deals kill teams. If we're giving any money to guys, it better be Bakh, Clark, , likely at least one of our RB's, Adams again if he can shake the injuries etc. We have enough to worry about at far more important places than an over 30 WR

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nothing about the Jones idea makes sense.

1) He’s aging. He turns 32 the day after the SB.

2) He’s dealing with nagging injuries, and increasingly so as he gets older.

3) He’s expensive and the Packers have cap issues enough already.

4) The Packers need at WR is not for a #1; they have Adams, who is 4 years younger (and himself needs an extension after 2021 if he’s to stick around). Their WR corps is lacking experienced complementary pieces.

5) This offense is not reliant on having a super deep depth chart of great wide receivers. The roster and their odds at winning this year would be better served with an acquisition on defense.

6) The offense has been the best in the NFL despite missing lots of snaps from guys already in the WR corps.

Speaking of dogs and bones, it seems that some people are going to persist that our wide receivers are a debilitating weakness regardless of what happens on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
would you rather lose a guy like Clark and a 1st round pick to keep Julio for a year or 2 for 20 some million bucks?

Like I said, the money in regards to the current/future cap situation and how it relates to our own free agents, is the one thing that might stop me from making that deal. However, the cost of the draft pick and his past injury history wouldn't prevent me from wanting to make the deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

That’s true, but I intentionally only listed players who are at or near the end of that first contract. It’s not atypical for teams to be willing to trade such players if they don’t intend to extend them.

Teams would most likely receive a higher compensatory pick for letting one of the young players you listed walk away in free agency next offseason than they would receive from another team trading for a rental player. It might be more realistic to take a look at veterans that would result in some cap space being cleared by making a move.

If we're giving any money to guys, it better be Bakh, Clark, , likely at least one of our RB's, Adams again if he can shake the injuries etc.

Just for the record, the Packers already signed Clark to an extension this past offseason.

The offense has been the best in the NFL despite missing lots of snaps from guys already in the WR corps.

Speaking of dogs and bones, it seems that some people are going to persist that our wide receivers are a debilitating weakness regardless of what happens on the field.

The Packers offense has been great over the first four weeks of the season. It might make sense to wait until they have faced a good defense before declaring that the wide receiver position isn't an issue though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Teams would most likely receive a higher compensatory pick for letting one of the young players you listed walk away in free agency next offseason than they would receive from another team trading for a rental player. It might be more realistic to take a look at veterans that would result in some cap space being cleared by making a move.

Just for the record, the Packers already signed Clark to an extension this past offseason

The Packers offense has been great over the first four weeks of the season. It might make sense to wait until they have faced a good defense before declaring that the wide receiver position isn't an issue though.

That’s true for some guys on that list, like Mike Williams or Michael Gallup. Which would mean that the Packers would have to pay up in terms of draft pick compensation. That’s not something I expect, but I listed them as guys that could potentially move if their current team doesn’t plan to resign them.

Other, lesser players on that list on rookie deals would be less likely to bring a good comp pick. And of course, getting one in the first place would depend on what else that team plans to do in FA.

But I would agree that a veteran is more likely to be moved than a player on a rookie deal, and there are some veterans on that list.

I think virtually all Packer fans agree that the WR corps could stand to improve. And certainly in its weakened state of two weeks ago it is an issue. It might prove to be an issue against tougher defenses even when healthy. We will see.

But what’s also true is that certain posters have been darn near rooting for the offense to flop just so that all their hand wringing over the position is validated. Which is funny, in a pathetic kind of way.

D

Deleted member 6794

But what’s also true is that certain posters have been darn near rooting for the offense to flop just so that all their hand wringing over the position is validated. Which is funny, in a pathetic kind of way.

It's highly questionable there's any truth to it.

For example, I have been critical of various players and moves in the past and will most likely continue to do so in the future. But I would be more than happy to admit being wrong as the Packers would benefit from those players excelling.

While I can't speak for anyone else around here it's likely other posters feel the same way.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's highly questionable there's any truth to it.

For example, I have been critical of various players and moves in the past and will most likely continue to do so in the future. But I would be more than happy to admit being wrong as the Packers would benefit from those players excelling.

While I can't speak for anyone else around here it's likely other posters feel the same way.
I don't feel like that many people root for someone to fail although maybe if they think a backup deserves a shot. However I do think there are times when any fan can get so locked in on their take of a player that nothing can convince them otherwise. Most often this is when they think a player is bad so it can feel like they are rooting for that person to fail because they only speak negatively of that player. It feels like this often happens with guys people didn't want us to draft. I have seen that with some in regard to King and Gary.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw another one,

cowboys wr michael gallop for a 3rd round pick...

Broncos dl shelby harris for a 6th round pick...

Bengals john ross for a 5th round pick

Jets dl Quinnen williams for a 2nd round pick

I'm not sure if the jets would do it but I'd be interested in williams he's I think 23 and fills a huge need along the defensive line. He only had 2 sacks last season as a rookie but he's an strong run defender and already has 2 sacks in 2020. Alongside clark, the Smiths, Gary that would be a lot for offensive lines to handle....and he's under team control thru 2023

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'd have to send a contract their way to get Julio. Else we're at risk for being unable to sign our guys.

That sounds like a good solution to me. But I'm not sure who with a high number I'd be willing to give up. They have weak ol I'd definitely give up Wagner and maybe even turner because I think Wagner could be close to as good. I'm not sure who else really would be an option?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw another one,

cowboys wr michael gallop for a 3rd round pick...

Broncos dl shelby harris for a 6th round pick...

Bengals john ross for a 5th round pick

Jets dl Quinnen williams for a 2nd round pick

I'm not sure if the jets would do it but I'd be interested in williams he's I think 23 and fills a huge need along the defensive line. He only had 2 sacks last season as a rookie but he's an strong run defender and already has 2 sacks in 2020. Alongside clark, the Smiths, Gary that would be a lot for offensive lines to handle....and he's under team control thru 2023
If the cowboys were actually willing to trade gallup for a 3rd I would take a long look at that. He still has another year on his very cheap deal after this and is a good wr. We are likely picking late in the 3rd so this would be great value. And we likely get a comp pick for him later right?

No on ross. Always hurt. The two dl would interest but for whatever reason gute seems fine with what we have

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio Jones is labeled injury prone because he's prone to getting injured. He has been since college. He's played through team disclosed injuries for large chunks of most seasons. And that problem isn't going to get better here at age 31 (and currently dealing with... an injury).

But then again, @Pokerbrat2000 also wonders why Taysom Hill is called injury prone. He only had four seasons ended by injury in college. Nbd.

I never really thought of jones as injury prone but I guess you may be right.

But actually now looking at the stats. If he played thru injuries I don't know that I put him in the injury prone category.

This is his 10th season and he has already missed 2 games. In his other 9 seasons he played 16 games 4 times, 15 games twice, 14 games once, 13 games once.

He only had one season in which he played less than 13 games which was his third 2013, he played 5.

So I really don't think you can say injury prone because he's not missing that many games but I agree it is cause for some concern if you were gonna be trading for and paying him

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dl shelby harris deflected another pass at the line today which turned into an int for the broncos.

I don't know anything about him but might be worth a late round pick for the stretch run dline rotation. Has at least 18 pds since joining broncos in 2017

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I never really thought of jones as injury prone but I guess you may be right.

But actually now looking at the stats. If he played thru injuries I don't know that I put him in the injury prone category.

This is his 10th season and he has already missed 2 games. In his other 9 seasons he played 16 games 4 times, 15 games twice, 14 games once, 13 games once.

He only had one season in which he played less than 13 games which was his third 2013, he played 5.

So I really don't think you can say injury prone because he's not missing that many games but I agree it is cause for some concern if you were gonna be trading for and paying him

Ok— how about he’s prone to suffer from soft tissue problems that limit him? And that kind of problem makes the idea of acquiring him for a 1st round pick at age 31 unattractive.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok— how about he’s prone to suffer from soft tissue problems that limit him? And that kind of problem makes the idea of acquiring him for a 1st round pick at age 31 unattractive.

I don't think that price is that steep and it's that high because jones is without a doubt injury prone or not is an elite player. And the falcons would take a cap hit trading him. If he was 26 years old itd be 2 first round picks. The fact that he's 31 isn't that big of a deal you just want him for the remainder of his contract. So rest of 2020 and all of 2021,:2022, 2023. At which point he'll be 34.

After watching highlights of julio today, wow! To have two guys like that on opposite sides of the field, with aaron rodgers throwing them the ball and Aaron jones in the backfield! I'm not sure jk Scott would ever punt again

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think that price is that steep and it's that high because jones is without a doubt injury prone or not is an elite player. And the falcons would take a cap hit trading him. If he was 26 years old itd be 2 first round picks. The fact that he's 31 isn't that big of a deal you just want him for the remainder of his contract. So rest of 2020 and all of 2021,:2022, 2023. At which point he'll be 34.

After watching highlights of julio today, wow! To have two guys like that on opposite sides of the field, with aaron rodgers throwing them the ball and Aaron jones in the backfield! I'm not sure jk Scott would ever punt again

Julio might be an exception to the rule, but most wideouts start to fade in their early 30’s. I would not pay the price to take that risk.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio might be an exception to the rule, but most wideouts start to fade in their early 30’s. I would not pay the price to take that risk.

Most do but not the super elite guys like rice, harrison, and fitzgerald. I'd expect julio to him that group. And once again he's only signed thru his age 34 season

Members online

Latest posts