• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most do but not the super elite guys like rice, harrison, and fitzgerald. I'd expect julio to him that group. And once again he's only signed thru his age 34 season

Then I suppose you would be in favor of the deal then.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then I suppose you would be in favor of the deal then.

Well at first I wasn't, but the more I look into julio and think about how insane it would be to have 2 of top 5. The more I think if you could find a way to make it work salary wise without losing any other blue chip guys. Like maybe they'd take billy turner, even though he's playing really well this year, I'd do it to add another field tilting player

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well at first I wasn't, but the more I look into julio and think about how insane it would be to have 2 of top 5. The more I think if you could find a way to make it work salary wise without losing any other blue chip guys. Like maybe they'd take billy turner, even though he's playing really well this year, I'd do it to add another field tilting player

I’m also not inclined that way because I think WR tends to be overrated as a position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren’t we down to like 6-8 million in cap space for this year? If we traded for him how much does he take from that? We’re kind of counting on carryover to even sign some of our upcoming FAs next year.

how much are we in the hook for next year? 15 guaranteed? How much cap space do we have next year?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m also not inclined that way because I think WR tends to be overrated as a position.

Doesn't matter to me if wr like rb is an overrated position. To me the more guys you can have that are head and shoulders better than all the other players the better...

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren’t we down to like 6-8 million in cap space for this year? If we traded for him how much does he take from that? We’re kind of counting on carryover to even sign some of our upcoming FAs next year.

how much are we in the hook for next year? 15 guaranteed? How much cap space do we have next year?

Yes you are correct sir, salary is the biggest impediment to this deal. You'd have to give them a guy like billy turner to offset the salary

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Doesn't matter to me if wr like rb is an overrated position. To me the more guys you can have that are head and shoulders better than all the other players the better...

But acquisitions come with an opportunity cost. I would rather they have the pick and the space to invest than having it wrapped up in a 32+ year old receiver, despite the quite correct take that he’s very, very good. At least right now.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But acquisitions come with an opportunity cost. I would rather they have the pick and the space to invest than having it wrapped up in a 32+ year old receiver, despite the quite correct take that he’s very, very good. At least right now.

I hear you, difference in opinion, that's cool. I wish we could see whose methods would work, haha shame they won't let us run a team.

In the end though like I said I wouldn't do it salary cap wise if I couldnt figure out how to do it while keeping bakh and jones. Adams after next year and Alexander the year after that.

How do you feel about the Quinnen williams for a 2nd round pick one? He's only 23, not on level of julio yet but could be that in a year or two and is relatively cheap for 3 more seasons I believe

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think teams would be lined up around the block if quinnen williams were actually available
i find it hard to believe he's for sale
and harder to believe we'd be on top of the list to acquire him

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's highly questionable there's any truth to it.

For example, I have been critical of various players and moves in the past and will most likely continue to do so in the future. But I would be more than happy to admit being wrong as the Packers would benefit from those players excelling.

While I can't speak for anyone else around here it's likely other posters feel the same way.

thats the funniest thing I've read in ages

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think teams would be lined up around the block if quinnen williams were actually available
i find it hard to believe he's for sale
and harder to believe we'd be on top of the list to acquire him

I mean I'm not sure he is and I didn't say Packers were on top of the list of teams after him. I'm saying if it's true he is available the Packers should be at the top of the list. But considering it's likely sam darnold might be for sale why would it be out of the question that williams is too

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because quinnen williams is a player you want on your team
sam darnold is not

Idk about that...I think darnold has shown enough that there's at least a few coaches around the league that think they can turn him into something

D

Deleted member 6794

Jets dl Quinnen williams for a 2nd round pick

I'm not sure if the jets would do it but I'd be interested in williams he's I think 23 and fills a huge need along the defensive line. He only had 2 sacks last season as a rookie but he's an strong run defender and already has 2 sacks in 2020. Alongside clark, the Smiths, Gary that would be a lot for offensive lines to handle....and he's under team control thru 2023

I'm absolutely convinced the Jets don't even think about trading Williams.

That sounds like a good solution to me. But I'm not sure who with a high number I'd be willing to give up. They have weak ol I'd definitely give up Wagner and maybe even turner because I think Wagner could be close to as good. I'm not sure who else really would be an option?

The Packers would lack depth on the offensive line by giving up Wagner and Turner.

The Packers currently have around $8 million in cap space for this season, trading for Jones at the deadline would eat up $5.9 million of it. For next season the team will be approximately $8 million over the cap if it drops to $175 million.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers would lack depth on the offensive line by giving up Wagner and Turner.

Sorry that was slightly unclear I guess. I was saying I'd definitely trade them Wagner and might even be willing to give up turner. It was an either or situation for me never both. After yesterday I'd definitely be willing to give them turner.

Not because turner was particularly bad or anything, though he may have been I didn't watch him in particular. I guess whole online was bad. I'd give em turner because he represents a bigger cap savings and I don't think Wagner would represent much if any drop off. Plus you have runyun who I think is gonna be better than both. They say he's guard only but not convinced.

Anyways I'd do it because I think if it was adams and jones the bucs could not of played against us the same way. I think even if Lazard back this is gonna be same problem in playoffs....

Oh I forgot about williams, I don't know that'd they'd trade him either I'd definitely lean no but I'm definitely not certain of it

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers currently have around $8 million in cap space for this season, trading for Jones at the deadline would eat up $5.9 million of it. For next season the team will be approximately $8 million over the cap if it drops to $175 million.
so not only picks and money, they'd have to move players just to get under the cap? Ouch

as for Wagner, from what I saw yesterday, he'd be no big loss. Man that wasn't even UDFA effort or performance out there by him yesterday.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so not only picks and money, they'd have to move players just to get under the cap? Ouch

as for Wagner, from what I saw yesterday, he'd be no big loss. Man that wasn't even UDFA effort or performance out there by him yesterday.

No they would not have to move players to get under cap.

As he said they are 8 m under now and would use 5.9 m of that if they traded for Julio. So they'd still be 2.1 m under this season.

Next season is where they would have to cut some veterans but nobody big really. Billy turner would be the only starter

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No they would not have to move players to get under cap.

As he said they are 8 m under now and would use 5.9 m of that if they traded for Julio. So they'd still be 2.1 m under this season.

Next season is where they would have to cut some veterans but nobody big really. Billy turner would be the only starter
what about our FA's, just let them all go too?

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I forgot about williams, I don't know that'd they'd trade him either I'd definitely lean no but I'm definitely not certain of it

Teams, even terrible ones like the Jets, don't trade players only 1 1/2 seasons after selecting them third overall in the draft.

Actually the Packers will have to release players and/or restructure some contracts to get under the cap for next season even without acquiring Jones.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what about our FA's, just let them all go too?

No not at all.
resign
bakh and jones who are your 2 big ufas.

Let king, linsley, and williams walk

Resign rfa bob tonyan erfa chanson sullivan

Cut Wagner, kirksey, lowry

After yesterday you still feel the same. To me it seems if that 31 year old wr was playing for the Packers yesterday, the bucs would of had to play defense much differently...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No not at all.
resign
bakh and jones who are your 2 big ufas.

Let king, linsley, and williams walk

Resign rfa bob tonyan erfa chanson sullivan

Cut Wagner, kirksey, lowry

After yesterday you still feel the same. To me it seems if that 31 year old wr was playing for the Packers yesterday, the bucs would of had to play defense much differently...
unless JOnes played offensive line, it didn't matter. How do you pass it downfield when you don't have 2 seconds to throw down after down?

and how do you re-sign those 2 big FA's when you already have to clear money for next year?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could do it you'd have to restructure Rodgers to save 16m in 2021.

And with adams and julio you could of just throw to the open guy 3 step drop. They both can win quickly off the line on short routes

Plus the bucs would of had to play more coverage and less aggressive

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could do it you'd have to restructure Rodgers to save 16m in 2021.

And with adams and julio you could of just throw to the open guy 3 step drop. They both can win quickly off the line on short routes

Plus the bucs would of had to play more coverage and less aggressive
so you restructured rodgers to save 16 million, that covers what Julio is to be paid next year. Now you still have a couple of our own FA's to worry about and restructuring that 16 million doesn't get us under the cap if you just spend it on julio

and the bucks sent a Lb'er or 2 at times, they also rushed with 4 a lot with the same success. one of the INT's was a quick pass to Adams, single coverage.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so you restructured rodgers to save 16 million, that covers what Julio is to be paid next year. Now you still have a couple of our own FA's to worry about and restructuring that 16 million doesn't get us under the cap if you just spend it on julio

and the bucks sent a Lb'er or 2 at times, they also rushed with 4 a lot with the same success. one of the INT's was a quick pass to Adams, single coverage.

The 2nd pick was just a great play by davis ll nothing you can do about that. But perhaps if you had julio on the other side davis would if been on jones and Adam would if been open for an easy completion. Or vice versa but point being very few teams if any have 2cbs that could win consistently against adams and jones. I would say davis won consistently against adams yesterday. But if jones was on other side I think he has a big game because whoever their other corner was he can't hold julio

There linebackers combined for 2.5 sacks lavonte david 1.5 and Devin white 1

To me it seemed they blitzed quite a bit. May have only been 5 but I'm not sure. Either way their defense was just so fast that it doesn't really matter if it was 4 or more than 4. This was a game they needed 2 guys that could win quick off the snap. Their one guy who can consistently do that didn't today and the defense was good enough to make the Packers pay for that. Also obviously the fact they completely took aaron jones out if the game was huge

Oh and you now release Wagner 4.5m kirksey 6m and Lowry 3.3m that's 13.8m. you then back load the contracts for jones and bakh because 2021 is very likely to be the only short cap year. Maybe you have to release a few more guys probably would but that's the way it goes preston smith 8m and Billy turner 3.5m also would be possibilities...

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams, even terrible ones like the Jets, don't trade players only 1 1/2 seasons after selecting them third overall in the draft.
Well that's true but they are likely going to trade darnold and what pick was he? Also washington is likely to trade haskins, arizona traded rozen who knows what could happen

Members online

Latest posts