Trade Deadline Targets

Would you trade a 2021 first round pick & 2022 late round pick for Julio Jones

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers are not in a financial situation where a high profile trade is a possibility. Could they "rent" a player nearing the end of his contract for the rest of the season? Maybe, but also unlikely.

Agreed. They have very few options on their current roster to trade a player away to recoup some of the cap hit, unless you would want to consider Adams, Bahk or Linsley. Below are the base salaries of the top 11 players on the Packer payroll. A Pro-rated portion of their salary would be recouped if they were traded. Linsley is the only guy I see remotely as "tradeable" and I wouldn't want to lose him on the OL.

Before someone says "Trade Preston Smith", you have to know that his dead cap would come due and that is $16M, so he is virtually "untradeable".

Davante Adams WR $12,000,000
David Bakhtiari LT $10,500,000
Corey Linsley C $7,650,000
Preston Smith OLB $4,350,000
Ricky Wagner RT $2,250,000
Billy Turner G $2,200,000
Jamaal Williams RB $2,133,000
Aaron Jones RB $2,133,000
Za'Darius Smith OLB $2,000,000
Adrian Amos FS $1,750,000
Kenny Clark DT $1,690,000

Gute may be wanting to pull the trigger on a trade and upgrade, but he and Ball are looking at 2021 and beyond and probably hoping to stay away from spending much more.

Last edited:

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio Jones is old. Do not want. Rogers needed a 2.2 second option vs the Bucs and they weren't gonna give him one.

Also Preston Smith dropped into coverage 51 times last year by game 5. This year? 51 times. So that's enough of that.

The whole right side of our line is replacement level players. We need better OL play. Linsley has been getting good press but is he an All Pro or just had a few good games to start the season? Or weak opponents? Love Elgton Jenkins, but it is possible he has a low ceiling and while he came in and played well he may not ever be getting to that Pro Bowl / All Pro level. Still have hope for Jenkins. Bak is Bak.

I still remember other past games where Rogers folds under pressure (Cardinals) and looks like a rookie forced to play for the injured starter and being eaten alive. This is just Rogers being what he is. After the 2nd INT (which was PI all the way) and taking a sack on 3rd and 2, I turned the game off. I was not at all shocked to learn later that in the remaining 3 quarters we didn't score a point. Glad I tuned out.

Sadly the fast start for the Pack this year was an illusion born of weak opponents. We are still a team that will struggle to play against the top tier in the NFL. Gute definitely needs to learn about the inside LB position in todays NFL, and I really hope he learned from the Love pick and his poor performance in last years draft. Throwing to tier-3 players and running backs is not going to work against a good defense.

Also can we have Todd Bowles for a DC? Not a Pettine fan. Last Sunday we got to see what a good defense looks like and I would like to see one in GB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. They have very few options on their current roster to trade a player away to recoup some of the cap hit, unless you would want to consider Adams, Bahk or Linsley. Below are the base salaries of the top 11 players on the Packer payroll. A Pro-rated portion of their salary would be recouped if they were traded. Linsley is the only guy I see remotely as "tradeable" and I wouldn't want to lose him on the OL.

Before someone says "Trade Preston Smith", you have to know that his dead cap would come do and that is $16M, so he is virtually "untradeable".

Gute may be wanting to pull the trigger on a trade and upgrade, but he and Ball are looking at 2021 and beyond and probably hoping to stay away from spending much more.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Before someone says "Trade Preston Smith", you have to know that his dead cap would come do and that is $16M, so he is virtually "untradeable".

Thanks for the numbers Poker. I didn't realize Preston has $16 million of dead cap if traded. And it's too early to be thinking about letting him go anyway.

The hard truth is that Russ Ball will have a hard time keeping three of the top FAs - Bakh, Jones, and King. I think Linsley is gone, and King may have to walk as well. The way forward now for Gluten is the draft, which makes the last draft even more irritating. Entertaining trades for expensive impact players just doesn't fly. As it is, it will be hard to keep the key players from this team on the roster next year, and hence the urgency to make a deep playoff run this year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers will end up making a trade, much less one of any significance. But if they do, Shelby Harris the defensive lineman from Denver would be one to watch.
In addition, Buffalo has released offensive lineman Quentin Spain. Could be worth a look.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Buffalo has released offensive lineman Quentin Spain.

That was an odd release. Recently given a 3 year contract extension, then benched and then cut and he put this on Twitter and quickly erased it.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers creating $13.8 million of cap space by releasing the players you suggested would only leave them with a maximum of under $6 million to spend on free agents. That wouldn't be enough to re-sign both Bakhtiari and Jones.

Once again, the league and players association agreed to spread out the losses cause by COVID-19 over the next four years, therefore it's unrealistic to expect the cap to significantly increase for the 2022 season again.

Therefore it's completely unrealistic to think about trading for Julio Jones, it just doesn't make any sense.

Dude I also said restructure Rodgers to save 16 m which I got from info you posted. And release preston smith 8 m savings. So that's 30 million to spend actually...it is enough to sign bakh, jones, and julio

And I'm gonna gamble and say this BS charade over this virus won't go on much past the election. One because it's clearly political and 2 because a vaccine is likely to be available shortly after the new year

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard another name that's possibly on the trade market. Jj watt houston texans, haven't paid attention to if he's still good or what he makes or what they want for him. And he's injury prone more so than julio, both 31. But I'd have to do my due diligence if I was gute

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offer Pittsburgh a 2nd and 3rd round picks for Ju-Ju. He's been a 1,300+ years receiver but Pittsburgh obviously isn't interested in keeping him after this season (the advantage of spending draft capital on receivers) and if he signs a big deal with another team, Pittsburgh only going to get a 3rd round pick for compensation. Would be better than sending a 1st round pick for an injured, aging receiver that relies on athleticism.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offer Pittsburgh a 2nd and 3rd round picks for Ju-Ju. He's been a 1,300+ years receiver but Pittsburgh obviously isn't interested in keeping him after this season (the advantage of spending draft capital on receivers) and if he signs a big deal with another team, Pittsburgh only going to get a 3rd round pick for compensation. Would be better than sending a 1st round pick for an injured, aging receiver that relies on athleticism.

Julio is on a whole nother level than juju. Plus you'd have to pay him just as much or more than julio.

Dude isn't injured and the best of the best wrs have proven to age well through out nfl history. If you're trying to say he's not a good route runner by saying he relies on athletism. I don't believe that's true. But I'm kinda confused because what wr doesnt...

Is rather get jj watt than juju

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we just have to lower our expectations and realize we don’t have the cap space to make any realistic “over the top” trades.. what we see is what we get. I don’t think we are good enough they have not surrounded Rodgers with enough talent through the years and it cost them. Only big thing they could do that would make them better is to sign brown... I know everyone don’t want him cuz of his crap.. like who cares as long as he is staying fine through the rest of the season then it’s worth it 100% fans won’t like the signing we are too classy of a organization to have the “diva” on our team. Fans aren’t even allowed to come to the games this year who cares.. if we win NO ONE will say a bad word about him. We have this year and next year with Rodgers that’s it.. do something about it. I don’t care if no one agrees with signing him but everyone knows he would make them better

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we just have to lower our expectations and realize we don’t have the cap space to make any realistic “over the top” trades.. what we see is what we get. I don’t think we are good enough they have not surrounded Rodgers with enough talent through the years and it cost them. Only big thing they could do that would make them better is to sign brown... I know everyone don’t want him cuz of his crap.. like who cares as long as he is staying fine through the rest of the season then it’s worth it 100% fans won’t like the signing we are too classy of a organization to have the “diva” on our team. Fans aren’t even allowed to come to the games this year who cares.. if we win NO ONE will say a bad word about him. We have this year and next year with Rodgers that’s it.. do something about it. I don’t care if no one agrees with signing him but everyone knows he would make them better

I'd take brown to me it would be a lot like the andre rison signing around mid season in 96.

But I disagree that next season is Rodgers last in green bay. I think love sits for at least 3 years. So we have at least 2021 and 2022. But after that if love is deemed to be the next guy by how he's playing in practice they'll have a decision to make. Trade Rodgers with one year left on his deal would likely be the route they take

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the numbers Poker. I didn't realize Preston has $16 million of dead cap if traded. And it's too early to be thinking about letting him go anyway.

The hard truth is that Russ Ball will have a hard time keeping three of the top FAs - Bakh, Jones, and King. I think Linsley is gone, and King may have to walk as well. The way forward now for Gluten is the draft, which makes the last draft even more irritating. Entertaining trades for expensive impact players just doesn't fly. As it is, it will be hard to keep the key players from this team on the roster next year, and hence the urgency to make a deep playoff run this year.

Preston smith is a candidate for release in the 2021 league year in which he would still represent 8 million in dead cap but also a savings of 8 million against the 2021 175 million cap

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Preston smith is a candidate for release in the 2021 league year in which he would still represent 8 million in dead cap but also a savings of 8 million against the 2021 175 million cap

Actually, its a bigger savings than that if you cut Preston prior to the 3rd league day. Below is what the Packers shed, while still having the $8M in dead.
  • $6.85M Base Salary
  • $4.5 M Roster bonus ($4 M is for being on the roster 3rd day of league year. $500K is a per game bonus of $31.250K ($500K total)
  • $650K workout bonus
So if Preston was cut before the 3rd league day of 2021, the Packers would have the $8M dead cap hit to account for but would save $12 M on Preston's Salary and bonuses.

Given the cap situation for next year, this may be a guy that is squarely on the chopping block.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio is on a whole nother level than juju. Plus you'd have to pay him just as much or more than julio.

Dude isn't injured and the best of the best wrs have proven to age well through out nfl history. If you're trying to say he's not a good route runner by saying he relies on athletism. I don't believe that's true. But I'm kinda confused because what wr doesnt...

Is rather get jj watt than juju

I tend to prefer younger, healthier players, but to each their own.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yes, like a Reggie Beglton, EQ, Shepherd or Malik Taylor type guys? ;)

Guess it all comes down to what you want to spend and then you sit back and see if that worked out. There are cases where young players totally out perform what they are being paid and examples of vets doing the same. Obviously, you have the opposite for both groups too.

I'm very disappointed in the commitment to the position by Gute and the Packers, but as of right now the Packers are basically getting what they paid for.

Devante Adams: $12 M

All other WR's on Roster: $2.572 M

Packers paid Geronimo Allison $2.7 M. That was a "young, healthy WR" that I wish we had not resigned for 2019.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, like a Reggie Beglton, EQ, Shepherd or Malik Taylor type guys? ;)

Guess it all comes down to what you want to spend and then you sit back and see if that worked out. There are cases where young players totally out perform what they are being paid and examples of vets doing the same. Obviously, you have the opposite for both groups too.

I'm very disappointed in the commitment to the position by Gute and the Packers, but as of right now the Packers are basically getting what they paid for.

Devante Adams: $12 M

All other WR's on Roster: $2.572 M

Packers paid Geronimo Allison $2.7 M. That was a "young, healthy WR" that I wish we had not resigned for 2019.

Like Juju. That's what he said...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Given the cap situation, I see the most likely trade targets (after "nothing," which is definitely the most likely outcome) being guys at the end of rookie deals whose teams aren't looking to resign them.

If you narrowed the options based on that criterion, you'd potentially be talking about guys like:
  • Mike Williams (LAC)
  • John Ross (CIN)
  • Keelan Cole (JAC)
  • Curtis Samuel (CAR)
And then a couple of the Houston guys, Kenny Stills and Brandin Cooks, are not on rookie deals but would probably have cap numbers this year that are low enough to work if Green Bay really wanted to make it happen. Stills is in the last year of his deal, and Cooks can be cut after this season with zero penalty. For half a season, Stills would count about 3.5M against the cap, and Cooks 4M.

But the sequence of things that all have to be true for this to work make it unlikely when you consider who will/won't be made available, who the Packers actually like, what it would cost in draft capital, and what they can avoid cap wise.

The overlap of the venn diagram of guys who the Packers could afford and guys who teams would be willing to trade is pretty tiny. And we don't even know if they like any of the guys who end up inside that shaded middle.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Let's zoom in on Brandin Cooks for a second.

He just turned 27 years old. He's a legit speedster and vertical threat (ran a 4.33 coming out of Oregon State).

He's currently on pace for 72/979/5. He's been given 5-10 rushing attempts most seasons, but currently has none in 2020.

PFF, for whatever their raw grades are worth, gives him a 77.8 so far this season.

His contract is really straightforward. He's due 8M this season and it's all base salary. So in terms of cap space, he will cost 500K times however many games you have him for. So for half the season, he would cost 4M in cap space.

After this season, he has three consecutive team options for 12M (2021), 13M (2022), and 14M (2023). He can be released with zero dead money. So he would most likely be a half season rental, but if he really splashed in GB, they could try to make room to keep him at what amounts to a good price for a plus starting receiver.

So let's presume for a second that GB is interested and HOU is willing. That isn't necessarily far fetched. Cooks and LaFleur did not overlap in LA, but he did play well in that same offense. And Houston is in worse cap trouble this off-season than Green Bay, plus they need to resign Fuller.

What would be the right compensation in that deal? It seems like the team options on the back of the contract could make him more expensive because it puts him under risk free control for three additional years. However, that might not be worth much to GB given their cap issue.

So maybe a 4th round pick? Would you send a 4th to Houston for Brandin Cooks? I think I do that deal.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But see you're incorrect about the injured part. In this thread I went thru the games he has missed in his career and it's not very many

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The jj watt for a 2nd round pick talk is heating up. Just read an article on Packersnews promoting the deal...Even though he's old to you guys as he's the same age as julio, 31. I'm not sure how you could pass this dude up. I mean I don't like him as a person at all he's the kind of guy that as a teenager picked on the little 9 year olds on his bus from school. But on the defensive side of the football field being that kind of bully is priceless. Watt would shore up the run defense and jump start the dormant pass rush while pushing lowry to the bench as a rotational player

This move would truly be like the reggie white signing and I think it most likely would have similar results, at least one super bowl guranteed...

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other new ones:

Texans wr will fuller for a 3rd round pick, you cap scary guys should like this one. Fuller is a free agent after the season so he wouldn't have much negative impact on the salary cap. And when he leaves and signs a big free agent deal you recoup a compensatory pick in 2022...

Giants and everybody's favorite wr golden tate for a 5th. This would definitely help the team but not sure what his contract like

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The jj watt for a 2nd round pick talk is heating up. Just read an article on Packersnews promoting the deal...Even though he's old to you guys as he's the same age as julio, 31. I'm not sure how you could pass this dude up. I mean I don't like him as a person at all he's the kind of guy that as a teenager picked on the little 9 year olds on his bus from school. But on the defensive side of the football field being that kind of bully is priceless. Watt would shore up the run defense and jump start the dormant pass rush while pushing lowry to the bench as a rotational player

This move would truly be like the reggie white signing and I think it most likely would have similar results, at least one super bowl guranteed...
I wouldn't trade anything for this guy. He's an injury waiting to happen. He's torn how many muscles that needed surgical repair? at least 4 or 5. That's more than concerning and some pretty strong evidence he's receiving "help" to be dominant. Those effects only get worse as the body gets older. I put the chance at him finishing the season without missing significant time at 2%

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade anything for this guy. He's an injury waiting to happen. He's torn how many muscles that needed surgical repair? at least 4 or 5. That's more than concerning and some pretty strong evidence he's receiving "help" to be dominant. Those effects only get worse as the body gets older. I put the chance at him finishing the season without missing significant time at 2%

I'd take that bet, but I do agree that he from the people I know that know him and what I've seen of him. I wouldn't doubt that he receives help, as I'm sure a relatively significant percentage of nfl players I suspect do

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mean I don't like him as a person at all he's the kind of guy that as a teenager picked on the little 9 year olds on his bus from school. But on the defensive side of the football field being that kind of bully is priceless.

Odd statement about JJ Watt, what is the source of that information or how did you come to this conclusion? I have heard nothing but good things about the guy when it comes to his character.

I'm not necessarily doubting you, but I have never heard this take on him.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts