• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero way of knowing. It’s also possible that many fail to see the financial **** show we are heading towards and draft picks are cheapest commodity personnel wise outside of even worse UDFAs. I would have supported the Claypool trade but wouldn’t have expected anything amazing for it if honest this year, maybe next…maybe.

There wasn’t a single skill position player that got traded I feel moved needle to the degree which would satisfy the fan base when the season ended…they’d just be complaining Gute is an idiot for overpaying for them.

Doing a move just to do a move does nothing tangibly to make a sizable impact. But yet fans demand it without thinking it through IMO.
That’s a bit of a non-answer. I didn’t ask what you *know*. Again I’ll ask: which do you *think* is more likely?

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Claypool was all that great and not a distraction, why would he be put on the trade block, especially in year 3 of his rookie deal?

Over the last several years, we have seen enough of these guys not actually pan out.

You could ask similar questions about just about every single player who’s ever traded. I’m just saying… it’s not unusual for a player who gets moved to suddenly hear a bunch of reports about them being trouble or something once they’re gone.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending too much money on players who aren’t worthy of it!??? I don’t know about you but I don’t make millions of dollars for being injured or not working up to my employer’s expectations!!

Put the drink down…all of those players are well worth it, and we were going to pay Davante MORE than he got from LV. Stop with the lies

Reaction score
It’s not like the packers defense is awesome in the first half and then gets tired;
They sure didn’t against the Bills. The Bills threw everything they could at GB to put them away in the second half. Yet GB held them to a FG.

We have not seen a complete game by both O AND D yet. I know Detroit isn’t a great team, but GB needs to get some confidence this week and go in there with serious intentions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree—- so what is the reason for this??? Poor players, poor coaching, poor execution and tackling ability? Or ALL of the aforementioned??!!!
Poor coaching and poor decision making (adjustments and personnel) by the coaches imho. Taking too long about making changes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Poor coaching and poor decision making (adjustments and personnel) by the coaches imho. Taking too long about making changes.
Not sure if your statement includes it, but I would put a lot of blame on Gute. Thinking he would have a successful season with the receiving room that he had.

Watkins and Cobb are proving that they are prone to injuries. Even in the 4 games Watkins has played, he has only made 9 catches for 150 yds and no TD's.

Lazard is about the only consistent WR, when healthy. However, besides his blocking skills being above average, the rest of his game is average or below. Definitely not a guy I would call a top #2 WR in the NFL.

The rookies, are just that, rookies. Doubs is the best of the 3 right now, but even he has looked like a rookie on a number of plays.

The Tight end group is lead by a great veteran blocker with Lewis. Tonyan is just meh and Deguara is looking like another failed 3rd round pick.

Why Gute and the Packers didn't see this coming years ago, is beyond me. It has been a slow motion train wreck and once Davante left the station, the derailment and subsequent crash was complete.

Reaction score
Listen, I get it we’re 3-5. That said I don’t think most other teams “out talented us”
Imo. Had we run the ball more evenly (which I’m shocked was not the plan until about this time of the season) that alone likely gets us to 4-4. I understand the logic of wanting to get your newer Receivers primed also. However between injuries and sloppy play early, it’s really magnified our deficiencies at WR.

Also, our D is clearly not playing to expectation and I question is there really a leader in that room? Or just a bunch of Day 1 selections acting like they can just show up and be a top D. I see maybe 1DL, 1OLB and 1CB playing pretty stellar. The rest of them look like B- C- C+ D grade effort guys.

The London game (bogus home game) and Week 1 are about the only real reasonable excuses imo. We tend not to travel long distances well under MLF.

I feel like each week our O is improving ever so slightly, I just hope it’s not too late because we all know that any given Sunday any team can have an uncharacteristic good game.

Our D had a solid Half 2 against Buffalo, but it’s a 4 quarter contest. We hurt ourselves on the basics of Tackling and Penalty yardage. Simple fix those 2 things alone and it would be an enormous help in getting off the field on those long drives.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point I'm more or less convinced that they just leak out phony stories to the press saying we're "interested" or "in conversations" or "in the mix" just to throw the dog a bone and get fans off their backs for a short while...
Lol, I think you're projecting fan's influence quite a bit too far. I have a hard time believing that a good GM would ever consider the fans wishes or concerns. At least I hope they wouldn't.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if your statement includes it, but I would put a lot of blame on Gute. Thinking he would have a successful season with the receiving room that he had.
No, I don't blame Gute. Would much prefer to see coaching staff (and probably Murphy) leave than him. MLF can't seem to pick coaches and keeps them too long. That is a huge part of being a head coach imho.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I don't blame Gute. Would much prefer to see coaching staff (and probably Murphy) leave than him. MLF can't seem to pick coaches and keeps them too long. That is a huge part of being a head coach imho.

I get the frustration with the coaching staff but how can you NOT blame a GM who's best draft pick since 2019 is a league average center (who was picked one selection before the guy who is now one of the best centers in the NFL)? What does a GM have to do to earn a share of the blame? Walk out onto the practice field and start kneecapping guys with a cricket bat?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Watkins and Cobb are proving that they are prone to injuries. Even in the 4 games Watkins has played, he has only made 9 catches for 150 yds and no TD's.

Lazard is about the only consistent WR, when healthy. However, besides his blocking skills being above average, the rest of his game is average or below. Definitely not a guy I would call a top #2 WR in the NFL.

The rookies, are just that, rookies. Doubs is the best of the 3 right now, but even he has looked like a rookie on a number of plays.

The Tight end group is lead by a great veteran blocker with Lewis. Tonyan is just meh and Deguara is looking like another failed 3rd round pick.

Why Gute and the Packers didn't see this coming years ago, is beyond me. It has been a slow motion train wreck and once Davante left the station, the derailment and subsequent crash was complete.
Agreed with most everything here, except for Deguara. I’ve been ******* him, but he’s played pretty well this season and I wish he would get some more opportunities.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, I think you're projecting fan's influence quite a bit too far. I have a hard time believing that a good GM would ever consider the fans wishes or concerns. At least I hope they wouldn't.
Hard to say. Perhaps "fans" is limited but media, pundits, players*, etc.

If I recall correctly the last time Gute made himself available to the press was what...August? I don't know, maybe it's projecting too much but I get the sense that he would rather send out LaFleur or Rodgers or whoever than have to deal with the hard questions himself. In that sense it would not be particularly surprising to me that our FO would give out such "scoops" so as to save face if nothing else.

*For instance, even if we were really never seriously in the mix for Player XYZ, isn't in his best interest to convince Rodgers that we were? You get the idea...

Reaction score
Not directly. Maybe sometimes indirectly, but with a GM they kinda beat to their own drummer.

Although I’ve seen material debates in here end up in articles shortly afterwards. I’m not sure if they peruse forums to get material but it sure seems like a coincidence. Then you’ll have Aaron or Matt etc.. addressing the media questions about those same concerns.

Now to what degree they take it seriously? I have no clue. I think an interviewee thinks 50% of those questions are just ridiculous (I do!) but they comply and are cordial in responses.
Just the fact they had to formulate an answer though tells me they contemplate it to some degree. As far as Brian? I think he’s going to do the exact opposite of what us fans want. ;)

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pKeep in mind, the packers have more defensive snaps by first and second round picks than any other team in the NFL.
That sounds pretty shocking, and makes it sounds like we've really missed on picks, and maybe we have. But you have to remember we've had a lot of winning seasons, so most of those picks are at or near the bottom of the heap. It's not like we're getting top five or even top 10 picks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sounds pretty shocking, and makes it sounds like we've really missed on picks, and maybe we have. But you have to remember we've had a lot of winning seasons, so most of those picks are at or near the bottom of the heap. It's not like we're getting top five or even top 10 picks.

Plenty of other teams pick towards the bottom and find guys (also other rounds). Some teams find players in round three or below! Gute is 50/50 for finding elite players in the first round (which is average) but he’s abysmal at finding impact players later in the draft. His best defensive player drafted after the second round is Slaton, basically the definition of a league average dlineman.

Gute is a decent GM but if you look, objectively, at his draft record, it’s not very strong outside the top two rounds and that’s how a team NEEDS to build when it’s paying so many players elite player money. I will qualify this to say that he is pretty good at drafting pass blocking olinemen.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s also possible that many fail to see the financial **** show we are heading towards

Look you can't play scared and thats exactly what you're proposing...the fiscal doom you're predicting is likely to never come to fruition. The overall cap is going to increase drastically over the next few seasons and they should be able to navigate it successfully.

You dont sht away the twilight of your 1 time sb champion fhof qbs career...you certainly dont do it twice in a row, right?

D

Deleted member 6794

The “there it is again” you missed the entire reason I brought that up, read on - I in zero way am saying it happened. Chill

What's the point of brining it up if you don't believe it happened???

The Packers are 3-5 and have lost 4 games in a row. IMO, they are not just 1 player away from improving enough to be a SB contender.

While that might be true there's no doubt in my mind that a wide receiver like Claypool would have significantly improved the offense.

Not to mention spending more cap money now and into the future, something the Packers don't have a lot of and probably the reason for shopping for players still on rookie contracts.

If the Packers traded for a player still on his rookie deal it wouldn't have resulted in any significant cap hit.

I just don't see throwing what will probably be a top 35-40 pick + a 4th rounder at a guy you are renting for a season and a half.

No, it's much better spending it on a player who never plays any meaningful snaps for the team :rolleyes:

Everyone doing precisely what I said…making statements which cannot be supported with even rumors or like this one isn’t even possible to say.

Folks are hilarious

The bottom line is Gutekunst once again missed out on improving the team at the trade deadline. It doesn't matter if he was in on any players or not, he didn't get it done. Period.

I'm actually more impressed with the defense, than I am with the offense. Had our offense been better this season, we wouldn't be 3-5, nor would the defense look as bad.

While the defense has definitely been the better unit this season they haven't performed up to expectations. Therefore I'm more disappointed in them than the offense.

No, I don't blame Gute.

In my opinion Gutekunst deserves the majority of blame for the offense struggling because of a lack of talent.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the defense has definitely been the better unit this season they haven't performed up to expectations. Therefore I'm more disappointed in them than the offense.
So would you assign more blame to the defense than the offense for this season's disappointing results so far?

D

Deleted member 6794

So would you assign more blame to the defense than the offense for this season's disappointing results so far?

No, the offense is the unit which deserves the most blame for the team struggling. But I expected them to based on a lack of talent.

I had high hopes for the defense but they haven't performed up to it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has to play under the same salary cap. I remember Andrew Brandt saying that using Roger's salary has an excuse to get nothing done is just that an excuse and a lot of BS. Mahomes cost a lot of money and the same or more percentage of the cap Rogers is, yet the Chiefs keep finding ways to add on key pieces and contend for super bowls. The bottom line is this group isn't getting it done yet others are.

Members online

Latest posts