• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a guess...but think about it for a second. One team you have a team that has won 39 regular season games in three seasons coming into this year, a first ballot QB and a better roster than the Bears....why would one speculate GB does worse the remainder of the year than the Bears. Is it possible...sure. Probable...nope.
I know, that was said sort of jokingly - should’ve put a smiley there. My point was that with the Bears with Claypool could have a better chance than us without Claypool. But then again, they‘re still the Bears.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much does that really tell us, though?

I can't say one way or another. I don't know the guy, I'm not in the Pitt locker room, but I guess I'd have to ask: Was Claypool made available because he was "a distraction," or was he a distraction because he knew he was going to be "made available"?

Like I said, I don't know either way, but it wouldn't be the first time a player is on the trading block and/or asks for a trade and suddenly gets labeled a distraction, troublemaker, etc...
We don’t need to guess… he has done enough publicly in his short career to be labeled a distraction. The fact that he is on a rookie deal is the only reason I was interested in the trade. Several people in here are too worried about draft picks …. When the reality is that The Packers went all in when they resigned Rodgers…now it seems that they want to covertly hide a few chips under the table.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People complaining about draft picks when, just this year, the Packers used TWO second round picks to draft Watson, yet they ridicule other teams for spending ONE 2nd rounder on a proven WR who is only one year older than Watson. For some fans, the Packers can do no wrong, even though they spent twice as much on an unproven 23-year-old rookie as compared to a proven, 24-year-old WR who still has one more season on his rookie contract.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The money stops and starts with Murphy. He is the President of the team. Gute is useless too. Rodgers should have left and finished his career elsewhere. He may actually had a couple of good reliable receivers who can actually catch the ball and a tougher offensive line to give Him a chance to actually throw the ball! All that money that was wasted on a mediocre defense that doesn’t even show up half of the time and yes that wonderful special team coordinator who was supposed to finally fix the pathetic special teams. Think all should be fired and start over. It’s not ALL on Rodgers. They can just NEVER give Him the supporting players that the should! El CHEAPOS as an organization!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, because every trade always works out for the team giving up the draft picks for a player. :rolleyes:

The Packers are 3-5 and have lost 4 games in a row. IMO, they are not just 1 player away from improving enough to be a SB contender. As a matter of fact, of their next 9 games, 5 are against pretty good teams (Cowboys, Titans, Eagles, Dolphins and Vikings). The other 4 are against the Lions (2), Rams and Bears. The Packers will be underdogs in 3 out of their next 4 games, I could very well see the Packers sitting at 4-8 at the end of this month.

Now if the Packers were 6-2 and looking good on both sides of the ball, I could see making a trade that puts the offense in a much better position for a SB run. Last season was the season that the Packers should have been trading for a starting WR, doing it now, is too little, too late. Not to mention spending more cap money now and into the future, something the Packers don't have a lot of and probably the reason for shopping for players still on rookie contracts.

If anything, the Packers should have been sellers yesterday. They have 15 players that will be Free Agents at the end of this season. Getting something for them now and saving more cap space in doing so, was more appealing to me, then adding a player to a team that may be picking in the top 10 of each round.
The Eagles traded for AJ Brown..not only has he been a stud, his chemistry with Hurts has been there since day 1! I bet our front office never even looked at that option!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, it's going to be morbidly hilarious when Gute drafts/trades for a great receiver when Love is scheduled to become the starter because Gute has seen how much a great receiver can help a young QB while, at the same time, believing that the best QB in history only needs a collection of backup receivers to win.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles traded for AJ Brown..not only has he been a stud, his chemistry with Hurts has been there since day 1! I bet our front office never even looked at that option!

Everyone doing precisely what I said…making statements which cannot be supported with even rumors or like this one isn’t even possible to say.

Folks are hilarious

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Report out Packers inquired about Jeudy but didnt come close to offering a 2 and another pick. Hence we are left to conclude they werent serious
Sure... Lots of these stories lately. A 2nd+ is definitely worth it for Jeudy, but whatever. Gutey and Murphy have driven this bus over a cliff.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone doing precisely what I said…making statements which cannot be supported with even rumors or like this one isn’t even possible to say.

Folks are hilarious
Well, sure. But what do you think is more likely:

1. Green Bay's front office explored the possibility of trading for AJ Brown and were willing to make an offer that was at least competitive with Philadelphia's (#18 and #101)
or
2. Green Bay never explored the possibility of trading for AJ Brown and/or balked at the idea of giving up that much for him

I'm sure neither of us will ever know with any certainty; be that as it may our FO's track record would suggest that (2) is far, far, FAR more likely than (1).

We shouldn't present such statements as fact (and he didn't, to be fair) but it's also not exactly unreasonable to suggest that we probably weren't seriously in the mix for that deal (or similar ones). Occam's razor and all that...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, sure. But what do you think is more likely:

1. Green Bay's front office explored the possibility of trading for AJ Brown and were willing to make an offer that was at least competitive with Philadelphia's (#18 and #101)
or
2. Green Bay never explored the possibility of trading for AJ Brown and/or balked at the idea of giving up that much for him

I'm sure neither of us will ever know with any certainty; be that as it may our FO's track record would suggest that (2) is far, far, FAR more likely than (1).

We shouldn't present such statements as fact (and he didn't, to be fair) but it's also not exactly unreasonable to suggest that we probably weren't seriously in the mix for that deal (or similar ones). Occam's razor and all that...

Zero way of knowing. It’s also possible that many fail to see the financial **** show we are heading towards and draft picks are cheapest commodity personnel wise outside of even worse UDFAs. I would have supported the Claypool trade but wouldn’t have expected anything amazing for it if honest this year, maybe next…maybe.

There wasn’t a single skill position player that got traded I feel moved needle to the degree which would satisfy the fan base when the season ended…they’d just be complaining Gute is an idiot for overpaying for them.

Doing a move just to do a move does nothing tangibly to make a sizable impact. But yet fans demand it without thinking it through IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know either way, but it wouldn't be the first time a player is on the trading block and/or asks for a trade and suddenly gets labeled a distraction, troublemaker, etc...
IF Claypool was all that great and not a distraction, why would he be put on the trade block, especially in year 3 of his rookie deal?

Over the last several years, we have seen enough of these guys not actually pan out.
For every success story, there is a failure story.

Not sure why fans expected a 3-5 team, that hasn't looked very good, was going to further mortgage the future, to try and salvage this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Claypool was all that great and not a distraction, why would he be put on the trade block, especially in year 3 of his rookie deal?

Over the last several years, we have seen enough of these guys not actually pan out.

Not sure why fans expected a 3-5 team, that hasn't looked very good, was going to further mortgage the future, to try and salvage this season.

Because well because….duh!!!! And then come the draft we will complain about Gute not having many picks because he is an idiot and wasted a bunch on a guy that his own team didn’t want despite being a cheap rookie deal.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The window isn’t closed, but it doesn’t help having a knock knock joke for a defensive coordinator
Funny thing is during preseason most posters here were saying what a good defense we had. That line of thinking seems to have been abandoned.

I was thinking awhile back, the first 50 years the Packers won 11 championships. The next 50+ has brought two. There are more teams now, but obviously the last 50 years weren't as successful as the first, even though we've had a lot of winning teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Funny thing is during preseason most posters here were saying what a good defense we had. That line of thinking seems to have been abandoned.
I'm actually more impressed with the defense, than I am with the offense. Had our offense been better this season, we wouldn't be 3-5, nor would the defense look as bad.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because the Steelers already have one highly paid receiver and aren’t looking to pay another. Additionally, due to their personnel, they’ve moved Claypool to the slot, where he’s not that good. Before someone starts yelling about him Joy being that good cause he was moved to the slot; Johnson is a really good outside receiver and they’re letting Pickens play as the other outside receiver because he’s a rookie and that’s what he knows. Having all three on the field means Claypool or Pickens has to play the slot and Pickens doesn’t know how.

Or they’re just terrible at personnel management. Either way, the Packers used two second round picks on an unknown rookie (Watson) so one 2nd round pick seems like a great deal for a proven receiver on a rookie contract.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually more impressed with the defense, than I am with the offense. Had our offense been better this season, we wouldn't be 3-5, nor would the defense look as bad.

I just don’t understand that second part. Isn’t the reason you have an elite defense to stop the other team? It’s not like the packers defense is awesome in the first half and then gets tired; they pretty much suck all game. How is the offense hurting the defense at the beginning of games? Keep in mind, the packers have more defensive snaps by first and second round picks than any other team in the NFL.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because well because….duh!!!! And then come the draft we will complain about Gute not having many picks because he is an idiot and wasted a bunch on a guy that his own team didn’t want despite being a cheap rookie deal.

Two 2nd round picks on Watson (complete unknown in the NFL) but ppl celebrating Gute for not spending one 2nd and maybe a 4th on Claypool (proven and cheap) is peak Gute defender logic.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No doubt..but sure would have been nice to have an oline that would be impenetrable and a reliable wr that could help win a few games.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree—- so what is the reason for this??? Poor players, poor coaching, poor execution and tackling ability? Or ALL of the aforementioned??!!!

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheap huh?

Rodgers at 150M
David B at 90+M
Jaire at 84M
Kenny at 70M
PReston at 52M

Ajones, Rasul Douglas etc all say otherwise.
Spending too much money on players who aren’t worthy of it!??? I don’t know about you but I don’t make millions of dollars for being injured or not working up to my employer’s expectations!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending too much money on players who aren’t worthy of it!??? I don’t know about you but I don’t make millions of dollars for being injured or not working up to my employer’s expectations!!

Uhm, which of those players isn’t worth it? Don’t include injury because you can’t really plan for that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s because you don’t make millions at your job normally.

But if you did get hurt at work they would pay her living expenses and your wages for the time you were injured at the rate that you were paid before you got injured it’s called Worker’s Compensation.

Don’t hate them because they have higher paying jobs

Reaction score
I know it’s unpopular with us fans and I too would’ve loved to see a high profile Receiving target.
That said, we often we see teams taking a more prudent stance and it appears to us that our FO doesn’t care. When, in fact, they do care but they don’t want to go stupid either. It’s not like a new WR is likely to have a big impact inside 2 contests or 11 days. Imo. If we don’t beat Detroit and Dallas at Lambeau no Receiver can reel this season in. We need to see what we are about, we’ve got guys that can compete. We just limped into a Buffalo on Offense and run up and down on a pretty good Defense. We can’t help it if NFL refs in the Booth get paid extra to decide games :whistling:

It tells me one of two things. We’re about to start getting healthy at WR or the Cost of said player trade vs benefit was heavily out of favor or both.

We need to go it alone. Sometimes its best not relying on others but getting each current player mentally prepared to elevate their game.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online