• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
You have a QB who requires a great deal of time (sometimes years) and trust to develop with WRs but that can produce elite results once that connection is formed, like with Adams.

2) Go out and acquire a Tyreek Hill, AJB type receiver that can form an immediate connection with Rodgers.
The only thing I would say is this seems contradictory. On one hand you say they need time to develop chemistry. On the other, getting a big name WR in free agency would create an immediate connection. This doesn't seem accurate to me. It's one or the other.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you on Moss and Marshawn BUT.....

With Brett, I think the Packers FO knew what they had. I still have his Packers jersey but Brett was a late game playoff choker and interception thrower.

This was especially apparent later in his career, may I remind you...
2001 Rams - 6 interceptions. That's right SIX interceptions in a playoff game
2003(i think) Eagles - 4th and 26 game, he threw the OT interception when we still could have won the game
2007 Giants - OT interception when we could have won tbat game

^I fully believe all 3 of those teams were good enough to win/make the Super Bowl.

2009 Vikings vs Saints - Brett threw the stupid interception when he should have just been playing for a FG to win the game. Thus was the bounty game, so maybe Brett's head was lose from the illegal shots, but that was one of the all time dumbest throws honestly
^that 2009 Vikings game could gave won the SB too, especially considering you have Adrian Peterson in his prime

Yeah I really don't think Moss would have mattered because Brett just made a LOT of bad decisions in the playoffs. That's just a fact.

Actually I think AR may be trying to define his career by being the EXACT OPPOSITE, which he mostly has

Oh I know Brett and the int in the playoffs. Driver was wide fckn open on that play in 2007. Favre didnt look like he wanted to be out in the cold and he threw it directly to Webster. Thing is if Randy Moss is on that team...is it even a close game? I sure dont think so

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I don't believe any of those reports.
100%.

At this point I simply think that our management no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt in this area anymore.

We've heard for how many years now that we were "in the mix" or "in conversations" for so and so; how often has it actually produced anything? At this point when I hear we're "having conversations" about acquiring a player or whatnot I'm just going to assume it's bulls**t until some evidence comes forth to suggest otherwise.

I've said it elsewhere but I really would not be surprised in the slightest if someone at 1265 Lombardi Ave is leaking out fabricated reports of "interest" to the press just to make it look like we've done our due diligence. I guess they figure it will relieve them of some pressure or something.

But as it stands it seems to me like there's really only two options, more or less.
First is that we were never really "in the mix" in the first place and reports of us having talks with so-and-so were never accurate to begin with.
Second is that we technically did enquire about a player but presented an offer that was low enough as to be easily outbid by other interested parties, which ultimately effectively also means we weren't really seriously "in the mix" to begin with, either.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm so happy the Packers didn't trade for any immediate help while holding on to those precious draft picks which they can use on players that won't have anywhere near the success than those players they could have acquired yesterday.
Right, because every trade always works out for the team giving up the draft picks for a player. :rolleyes:

The Packers are 3-5 and have lost 4 games in a row. IMO, they are not just 1 player away from improving enough to be a SB contender. As a matter of fact, of their next 9 games, 5 are against pretty good teams (Cowboys, Titans, Eagles, Dolphins and Vikings). The other 4 are against the Lions (2), Rams and Bears. The Packers will be underdogs in 3 out of their next 4 games, I could very well see the Packers sitting at 4-8 at the end of this month.

Now if the Packers were 6-2 and looking good on both sides of the ball, I could see making a trade that puts the offense in a much better position for a SB run. Last season was the season that the Packers should have been trading for a starting WR, doing it now, is too little, too late. Not to mention spending more cap money now and into the future, something the Packers don't have a lot of and probably the reason for shopping for players still on rookie contracts.

If anything, the Packers should have been sellers yesterday. They have 15 players that will be Free Agents at the end of this season. Getting something for them now and saving more cap space in doing so, was more appealing to me, then adding a player to a team that may be picking in the top 10 of each round.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Right, because every trade always works out for the team giving up the draft picks for a player. :rolleyes:

The Packers are 3-5 and have lost 4 games in a row. IMO, they are not just 1 player away from improving enough to be a SB contender. As a matter of fact, their next 8 games are against 5 pretty good teams (Cowboys, Titans, Eagles, Dolphins and Vikings) 2 of the other 4 are against the Lions and the others, against the Rams and Bears. The Packers will be underdogs in 3 out of their next 4 games, I could very well see the Packers sitting at 4-8 at the end of this month.

Now if the Packers were 6-2 and looking good on both sides of the ball, I could see making a trade that puts the offense in a much better position for a SB run. Last season was the season that the Packers should have been trading for a starting WR, doing it now, is too little, too late. Not to mention spending more cap money now and into the future, something the Packers don't have a lot of and probably the reason for shopping for players still on rookie contracts.

If anything, the Packers should have been sellers yesterday. They have 15 players that will be Free Agents at the end of this season, getting something for them now and saving more cap space in doing so, was more appealing then adding a player to a team that may be picking in the top 10 of each round.
Green Bay is better than their record. Of course there are some talent issues in spots, but there’s also this cocky attitude of “we can just trot out there and compete going 70% of full throttle”.

There’s some major coaching failures in areas which has allowed this to happen.

Then you have Rodgers who has been inconsistent just enough for it to contribute to being a factor in losing some games.

Do I honestly think this is a super bowl contender as presently constructed? Not really. But you have to lay in the bed of committing to Rodgers at this stage in his career. Now is the time to get aggressive and contend for another super bowl. And Gutekunst just isn’t displaying that attitude.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm not too disappointed, same as I wouldn't have been too excited. Sure everyone likes a shiny new toy so that would have been fun to talk about, but not sure what difference it would have made in the grand scheme of things.

We're kind of in limbo and it feels weird.

I'm not surprised GB didn't send anybody to other teams. You don't commit to your QB, Give big new contracts to Jaire, Rasul, Campbell, restructure BakhT and Preston etc to suddenly dismantle a team midseason when you're still in it and could actually be a player later if you clean up things you can definitely clean up.

Yes I wish they had "committed" more to getting weapons in here, but I'm not sure Claypool was the answer either. Yeah, he would have been nice and I think he would have helped, but enough? I still say, until we clean up the interior of that Oline, running an offense is going to be difficult.

Though I admit having another weapon or 2 would have made things more interesting. Hockensen would have been nice, I'd have done that trade. He's a player I think is a sure thing going forward for years.

Oh well, I get to see progress in the young guys and cheer them on. I hope they turned a corner last week, especially Doubs. Really nice on those contested catches.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

The Packers are 3-5 and have lost 4 games in a row. IMO, they are not just 1 player away from improving enough to be a SB contender. As a matter of fact, of their next 9 games, 5 are against pretty good teams (Cowboys, Titans, Eagles, Dolphins and Vikings). The other 4 are against the Lions (2), Rams and Bears. The Packers will be underdogs in 3 out of their next 4 games, I could very well see the Packers sitting at 4-8 at the end of this month.

If anything, the Packers should have been sellers yesterday. They have 15 players that will be Free Agents at the end of this season. Getting something for them now and saving more cap space in doing so, was more appealing to me, then adding a player to a team that may be picking in the top 10 of each round.
First, it's the Packers, so I'm not surprised there were no moves yesterday. Talk was they offered the same for Claypool as the Bears did. For me, why not toss a 4th or 5th in with the 2nd they offered. To @captainWIMM's point, they haven't drafted well and Claypool is at least a known commodity with upside potential. The other thing is sure, it might not be a help this season, but it would get Claypool more acclimated to the system in an effort to improve the talent at the WR position next year. Guarantee you that the Bears trading for Claypool wasn't a move for this season. They were looking ahead. Maybe not for everyone, but I was disappointed no moves were made to try to improve this roster for this season and beyond.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do I honestly think this is a super bowl contender as presently constructed? Not really. But you have to lay in the bed of committing to Rodgers at this stage in his career. Now is the time to get aggressive and contend for another super bowl. And Gutekunst just isn’t displaying that attitude.
At this point, "committing to Rodgers", is doing so for 2023. However, just what do you commit to a guy that might not be playing beyond this season? Gute invested two 2nd rounders and a 4th rounder in Watson and Doubs. 2-3 years too late in my opinion. Maybe next year those investments start to pay off, but you have 15 players that are free agents at the end of this season. Can the Packers keep pushing more cap out, hoping Rodgers keeps playing and playing at a high level?

Hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but maybe the Packers should have traded Rodgers, after Adams wanted out. Instead, the Packers went into the 2022 season with an offense that consisted of very little talent at WR and TE. Their 3 wins, have come against pretty crappy teams and the rest of their schedule is daunting, to say the least. One player, especially a WR that might need a full season to click with Rodgers and the offense, wasn't going to suddenly change the Packers fortune.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To @captainWIMM's point, they haven't drafted well
I would disagree with that. Like all teams, they have had hits and misses on draft picks. I just don't see throwing what will probably be a top 35-40 pick + a 4th rounder at a guy you are renting for a season and a half.

If the Packers want to be aggressive for 2023, there will be plenty of Free agent WR's and TE's they can try to sign, with no loss of draft picks.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T.Y. Hilton & Will Fuller are still "available" as FA pickups, however both have recent injury-history keeping them out of games in '20 & '21. Could either be lured to GB on vet minimum with healthy incentives?

Can't imagine any serious offensive progress in '22 with the current WR group. :(

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers is done this year, just my feeling. I still haven't wavered in feeling that he'll retire before being traded.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I would say is this seems contradictory. On one hand you say they need time to develop chemistry. On the other, getting a big name WR in free agency would create an immediate connection. This doesn't seem accurate to me. It's one or the other.
That's fair. My presumption is that a skilled receiver who is as advanced in their craft as these two would have a much shorter learning curve to develop a chemistry with Rodgers. But it is possible that this would not have played out as we hoped as well.

In any event, going forward with Rodgers and ???? was a poor plan.

Christian Watson would have been a great asset to grow and develop with either Jordan Love or whoever the presumptive QB of the future ended up being in Green Bay.

He made zero, absolutely zero sense as a pairing with an Aaron Rodgers who could retire after any given season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can't imagine any serious offensive progress in '22 with the current WR group. :(
The million+ dollar question though, can you see much offensive progress by adding Fuller or Hilton? I would rather see Doubs, Watson and Toure get the work. Hate to put a fork in the 2022 season already, but the schedule ahead is not kind to the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know a lot of people wanted the Packers to complete the trade for Claypool, but after reading this "speculation" about him, I'm even more happy that the trade didn't come to fruition.

Josina Anderson:

“From what I am hearing, and been hearing over the last week the #Steelers moved on from what they felt like was somewhat of a ‘distraction’ behind-the scenes."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people wanted the Packers to complete the trade for Claypool, but after reading this "speculation" about him, I'm even more happy that the trade didn't come to fruition.

Josina Anderson:

“From what I am hearing, and been hearing over the last week the #Steelers moved on from what they felt like was somewhat of a ‘distraction’ behind-the scenes."

Claypool is 100% a distraction....100% - his skills cannot be ignored however, and you're hoping a change of scenery helps and having a better more stable QB situation...something we would provide both for, the Bears are gambling Fields can manage a diva WR.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers is done this year, just my feeling. I still haven't wavered in feeling that he'll retire before being traded.
Obviously things could change, but if you recall over the summer he did say he would "definitely" retire a Packer, "unless they trade me... "

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Claypool is 100% a distraction....100% - his skills cannot be ignored however, and you're hoping a change of scenery helps and having a better more stable QB situation...something we would provide both for, the Bears are gambling Fields can manage a diva WR.
Another thing that makes me wonder if the packers were ever really in on claypool is the personality issues. Doesn’t seem very on brand for the Packers and for Gutekunst.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something else I'm reading. The Bears were the only team to offer as much as a second round pick, meaning the Packers didn't.
Also, the only team in on Cooks of Houston was the cowboys. They went to the last minute till they ran out of time. Seems as sticking point was how much of his guaranteed salary next season Houston would pay, which would have knocked us out of the box right away.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Josina Anderson:

How much does that really tell us, though?

I can't say one way or another. I don't know the guy, I'm not in the Pitt locker room, but I guess I'd have to ask: Was Claypool made available because he was "a distraction," or was he a distraction because he knew he was going to be "made available"?

Like I said, I don't know either way, but it wouldn't be the first time a player is on the trading block and/or asks for a trade and suddenly gets labeled a distraction, troublemaker, etc...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is my whole point. Either push for a title or start over.
If they were going to push for a title, they should have done it in Free Agency last Spring. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to have predicted what we are seeing now, a sputtering offense. Trying to push all in midseason, when you are 3-5 and facing a very tough schedule ahead, not really a bright move IMO to pick up a #2 or 3 WR. Add to that equation the existing cap issues and Rodgers status for 2023 and I don't see a reason to trade away draft assets.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something else I'm reading. The Bears were the only team to offer as much as a second round pick, meaning the Packers didn't.
Also, the only team in on Cooks of Houston was the cowboys. They went to the last minute till they ran out of time. Seems as sticking point was how much of his guaranteed salary next season Houston would pay, which would have knocked us out of the box right away.

Everyone will take what others are claiming "they're hearing" if it aligns with their opinion however in all this. Many "pundits" claiming Claypool trade came down to us and Bears offering second rounder and they chose Bears to finish worse than us so took them.

In the Houston deal, is that merely meaning the Cowboys were the only formal ones to offer something they considered? Only ones to even call (doubtful)...

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word is that despite both offering second round picks the Steelers took the Bears offer because they figured that, despite both teams being 3-5, that's the Bears pick would be higher.
They may have miscalculated on that at this point.

Reaction score
With Trade deadline past. The only way GB tries to upgrade their Roster is if they get past .500. Such as 6-5 etc..
However if they do that? It’s a catch 22 because they will have convinced themselves that they are good enough without outside help (depending on the scenario they may be correct).

If we upset 1 of Dallas or the Eagles and win a couple in between type scenario you might see us take a stab at OBJ

Other than that, outside chance they grab a FA player or PS player from another team if 1 of ours goes down.

We now need to win 2 of the next 3 to have life at 5-6 or the season is lost imo.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may have miscalculated on that at this point.

It is a guess...but think about it for a second. One team you have a team that has won 39 regular season games in three seasons coming into this year, a first ballot QB and a better roster than the Bears....why would one speculate GB does worse the remainder of the year than the Bears. Is it possible...sure. Probable...nope.