Trade deadline looms

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd trade our 1st round pick next year for Watt without batting an eye. If I couldn't get Watt, I'd take Thomas for next year's 2nd and 4th round picks. They'd both be awesome acquisitions for the Packers.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't we have multiple first rounders for this upcoming draft, or am I mistaken? I wouldn't mind parting with one if the offer was right

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trade talk is fun, but remember.....it's TT who is calling the shots. Expect no trades and maybe the periodic signing of free agents most of us know nothing about. In TT we trust.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trades I would make and hope for but either one is pretty unrealistic...
Watt: 1st & 4th this year and 1st from the following
Jeffrey: 1st and 5th.
Kelce: 2nd and 4th
J.thomas: 3rd rounder
Calvin Johnson: 3rd rounder

Obviously highly unrealistic, just blowing some air.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Kelce is about the only guy on the list that IMO would even be in realm of conversation. The others carry way to high of a salary price tag and/or trade cost. But even with Kelce, TT would never part with a 2nd and a 4th for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I took a page from CaptainWIMM and looked up Cushings contract. Seems he is over $9mil in salary next year with over $7mil as dead money if cut. Does that look right, Capt.? If so, he is out of the question.

Cushing has a 2016 base salary of $5 million with an additional roster bonus of $1.25 million for next season. Therefore the Packers would take a $6.25 million cap hit for having him on the roster in 2016. Cutting him after this year wouldn't result in any dead money for us though as the prorated portion of the signing bonus would count against the Texans cap.

Don't we have multiple first rounders for this upcoming draft, or am I mistaken? I wouldn't mind parting with one if the offer was right

No.

What could we get if the Pack offered, lets say Hayword or Clinton -Dix?

Player-for-player trades are extremely rare in the NFL. Clinton-Dix stabilized the safety position after it was a mess for several years, it wouldn't make any sense to trade him. The Packers wouldn't receive any impact player in return for Hayward.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from that article "linebacker Barkevious Mingo. " how the hell do you come up with a name like that??

i've learned more about the packers and the way they work since i joined this forum, than i had in the previous several years of being a fan. and TT can pull out a surprise now and again, julius peppers anyone? the D has been for the most part solid from what i've seen so far this season, but i would like an impact player on the offense. it's a shame you ccan't do a loan deal like you can in "real" football, as soem of the lesser teams must have a TE/WR who is too good for them and would maybe loan them out out to get good experience

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clinton dix is da man. No deal.
Now looking at sitton and Pangs deals. They gonna make like 15 mil next year combined... Guard is easier position to full. Joe thomas in and when the guard's deals are up, most likely they go. They prolly gone anyways. Can't have 15 mil worth of guard's and your 22 mil mvp smashed every time we play a good defense... We need a lt.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with the sentiment that Thompson won´t make a trade it seems that the Browns are open to trading Joe Thomas.
If we had a GM who wasn't so ridiculously locked into his draft and develop philosophy this would be a no brainer.
Valuing 5th, 6th and 7th round picks like they are pieces of 8 in the face of serious need is doing a disservice to the team and to our QB.
Considering Thompson's poor performance in the 1st round he could dangle a couple of those as trade bait for a proven player like Joe Thomas.
Alas, ideology trumps good sense at 1265.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport the Browns are asking for more than a first-round pick in return for Joe Thomas. I think that price is way too steep.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from that article "linebacker Barkevious Mingo. " how the hell do you come up with a name like that??

i've learned more about the packers and the way they work since i joined this forum, than i had in the previous several years of being a fan. and TT can pull out a surprise now and again, julius peppers anyone? the D has been for the most part solid from what i've seen so far this season, but i would like an impact player on the offense. it's a shame you ccan't do a loan deal like you can in "real" football, as soem of the lesser teams must have a TE/WR who is too good for them and would maybe loan them out out to get good experience

The only thing better would be to combine Mingo's name with the Texans Whitney Mercilus.
You'd get Ming(o) Mercilus.
An absolutely awesome name for a linebacker.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans that want to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade is funny :)

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny to watch some posters get so mad about not mortgaging our future/taking an incredibly risky trade on a player when our team is 6-1 and in the drivers seat in the NFC. "Do they not want to win?!?"

Believe it or not, Ted actually does want to win but has a plan in place. Unless he sees outstanding value (i.e. Ryan Grant) he'd rather just keep the 6th rounder and draft James Starks on a 4 year $2 million rookie deal and have a much stronger long term impact on this team than a 30+ year old making market value. Maybe I'm looking too much into the numbers here, but doesn't that make at least a little sense?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade deadline has passed, still not seeing any news of any trades. Apparently, a lot of calls, no action.
Word from www.profootballrumors.com is the Broncos offered a 1st rounder for Thomas, and that the teams were still working on a deal to beat the deadline.
Same site says the Packers showed no interest in Vernon Davis, and never inquired about him.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade deadline has passed, still not seeing any news of any trades. Apparently, a lot of calls, no action.
Word from www.profootballrumors.com is the Broncos offered a 1st rounder for Thomas, and that the teams were still working on a deal to beat the deadline.
Same site says the Packers showed no interest in Vernon Davis, and never inquired about him.

Some trades could have actually went down, but just not announced yet due to some fine print that needs to be finalized. Especially if the trade has a lot of working parts.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we had a GM who wasn't so ridiculously locked into his draft and develop philosophy this would be a no brainer.
Valuing 5th, 6th and 7th round picks like they are pieces of 8 in the face of serious need is doing a disservice to the team and to our QB.
Considering Thompson's poor performance in the 1st round he could dangle a couple of those as trade bait for a proven player like Joe Thomas.
Alas, ideology trumps good sense at 1265.
We need to stop "building" and start winning. We're never going to have another Aaron Rodgers. Go the foolproof route and get him protection and weapons. Big, fast ones. They aren't uncommon, most teams have one or two.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some trades could have actually went down, but just not announced yet due to some fine print that needs to be finalized. Especially if the trade has a lot of working parts.

That's what I'm thinking,too.
We might get a surprise or two yet.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd trade our 1st round pick next year for Watt without batting an eye. If I couldn't get Watt, I'd take Thomas for next year's 2nd and 4th round picks. They'd both be awesome acquisitions for the Packers.

Really? You Would? You'd trade your first round pick for the best defensive player to come along in I don' t know how long? That's really taking a risk. How about a more realistic scenario, would you trade your first rounder next year and the year after for him? Maybe then you would get Houston to even listen to you.

Something tells me if Houston's GM called Ted and said "we'll let you have JJ for your first rounder next year" Ted wouldn't be able to say yes fast enough. I can't think of a GM in the league that would turn that offer down.

Sorry Pike, I didn't really mean for that to sound like it did. I just read your comment and its the first thing that popped into my mind

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt is worth two first rounders. Easily. I'd give up two first rounders for him in a damn heartbeat.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? You Would? You'd trade your first round pick for the best defensive player to come along in I don' t know how long? That's really taking a risk. How about a more realistic scenario, would you trade your first rounder next year and the year after for him? Maybe then you would get Houston to even listen to you.

Something tells me if Houston's GM called Ted and said "we'll let you have JJ for your first rounder next year" Ted wouldn't be able to say yes fast enough. I can't think of a GM in the league that would turn that offer down.

Agreed; no way he'd be that cheap.
That said, even for the next 2 or 3 1sts, or more or whatever, I'd jump on it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry Pike, I didn't really mean for that to sound like it did. I just read your comment and its the first thing that popped into my mind

The trouble is that the team has to be willing to trade the player in the first place. JJ Watt is the face of the franchise and maybe the only reason fans come to their games. Trade him and they'd have a fan revolt on their hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts