Trade deadline looms

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And this is how the trade deadline ends; not with a bang, but a whimper.....

Most likely for the best. I mean really, its rare that we see mid season trades in the NFL before the deadline. This isn't the NBA.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we didn't get an all pro TE, a receiver that is blazing fast, cat like quick and has hands made from a baby's ***, and our all pro left tackle by the trade deadline??? damn

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we didn't get an all pro TE, a receiver that is blazing fast, cat like quick and has hands made from a baby's ***, and our all pro left tackle by the trade deadline??? damn

No Dez Bryant, JJ Watt, Tom Brady or Luke Kuechly either! :(

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And this is how the trade deadline ends; not with a bang, but a whimper.....

you heard a whimper? You must have good ears. So far the Davis trade is the only one I've heard about and I've been looking on NFL.com for the last 3 hours.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have traded for kaepernick for a conditional 7th rounder. And FIRE his **** as soon as he unpacks his suitcase. Lol... Just didn't work out.

Go packers...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Joe thomas thing... Assuming we will be picking in the 30s next year. A 1st and even 2nd rounder (32,64th overall) would be good. A star lt of his calliber to protect Rodgers blind side is much too valuable to not make the move imo. Bahk $hould be a back up for a while maybe... Hit the weight room and the buffet. Talk to a Zen master. Something because he ti'kin me off. A home bred work horse like thomas would have been powerful. So the draft is a little boring the first couple days... Our oline is built of aces until sitton langs deal comes up... Missed opportunity imo

D

Deleted member 6794

Believe it or not, Ted actually does want to win but has a plan in place. Unless he sees outstanding value (i.e. Ryan Grant) he'd rather just keep the 6th rounder and draft James Starks on a 4 year $2 million rookie deal and have a much stronger long term impact on this team than a 30+ year old making market value. Maybe I'm looking too much into the numbers here, but doesn't that make at least a little sense?

More likely that precious sixth-rounders end up being guys like Caleb Schlauderaff, D.J. Smith, Ricky Elmore, Jarius Wynn, Brandon Underwood though. Thompson has traded sixth-round pick before the acquire Jonathan Franklin and Terrell Manning as well. As it only took the Broncos one sixth-rounder and an exchange of a sixth- for a seventh-rounder to acquire Vernon Davis I would have at least liked TT to inquire about him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trades are fun and ****. Great fodder for discussion forums, much like free agency.
And, after a bad game, it's easy to panic and say we need a trade NOW. Teams that do that are likely to get fleeced.
Making a trade is not always a bad thing. Seattle got Marshawn Lynch in a trade. Hard to imagine them winning that Super Bowl without him.
Making a trade is not always a good thing. Trades made for Hershel Walker by the Vikings and John Hadl by the Packers are prime examples.

If you're one player away, and "that guy" is out there, it makes sense to pay a reasonable price to acquire him. I don't know who "that guy" would have been for the Packers, or if he was available. I'm not convinced Vernon Davis was going to put us over the top. Who else, then?

It's a moot point now anyway, we'll go with what we have. And that's better than most have.

And next season, we'll still have all of our draft picks.

DMANDTM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of 6th round picks for Davis, one of the fastest TE's in the game? That's cheap. You're often lucky to get more than a couple of seasons of practice squad or special teams out of a 6th or 7th rounder, and equal talent can be found as UFA's.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to an NFL source the Packers didn´t. Here´s a link to a story in which Wes Hodkiewicz mentions it:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...kers-need-more-production-tight-end/75092018/
I saw that, but wonder about the "nfl source"--which could be anyone with 2nd or 3rd hand information. Hard to believe TT wouldn't give the 9ers a call concerning Davis. From what I've read, both Baalke and Thompson are very private individuals who wouldn't necessarily talk to anyone else about a private conversation.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some day I hope the NFL moves the trade deadline to mid-late November. Then, we actually may see some trades like you do in Baseball and Basketball when teams are for sure out of contention and think more along the lines of rebuilding and don't make fans think they are throwing in the towel after 7 games. But right now, even some of the 2 win teams may think with 9 games to go, they can turn it around. A later trade deadline also allows for the play-off bound teams to possibly re-tool an important position that may have been crippled due to injury. After yesterday, it's next man up from here on out. Let's hope our WR's, TE's, ILB's and QB stay healthy as well as step up their games, because there is nothing left but back-ups, practice squad or Street FA's.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I don't expect much news in the way of a Packer trade today, figured I would open this old thread up as opposed to starting a new one.

Any trade rumors for the Packers or other teams yet?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the GM's for the Browns, Bears and 49er are sitting at their desks, eagerly waiting for their phones to ring. Maybe the Bears will trade Cutler to the Texans for Osweiler? :D Would be nice to see the Bears handcuffed by another overpaid QB contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have traded CB Johnthan Banks to the Detroit Lions for a 7th rounder, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No trading in the NFL from now until 4pm ET on March 9, 2017

See you all in the Spring!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked up montgomery in fantasy football as soon as lacy went on ir.

He is going to be getting a lot of runs.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes when reading this I wish tt would actually trade away a player for a compensatory pick, just to see people explode on here.

It's been a decade. it ain't happening .

james anderson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who'd they'd trade for. I don't think our offense lacks for weapons. I know they aren't performing, but i don't think it's for lack of talent. I think most teams would take our top 3 WR and our RB tandem any day. I still think LT is a weak link for us, but not a skill position and anyone worth a crap isn't being traded for because the guys that are good are never available to other teams and for good reason. I'm disappointed in our TE play, I thought Rodgers would be more productive, but if blocking is his weakness, I don't see a guy like V.Davis coming here and doing it any better.

I think the Broncos showed us who the weak link in the secondary is, but we're not trading for anyone there, we were down a couple guys and we have plenty of talent at that position. ILB would be nice, because anyone not named Matthews at that position always seems out of position. They over pursue and then get caught in the wash of the linemen and the backs shoot right past them a lot. A least last night there were a couple big plays i noticed that.

so in short, I don't see them making any trades, they need to figure out how to get more out of the players we have.
ere offense don't lack for talent, really, we have no nfl caliber running back, most teams have 3, the jets signed spiller for 3 string ted always keeps use close but no cigar

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts