TOO SAD

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is time for some of you to quit expecting Brett Favre to be perfect every game. He never has been and he never will be perfect.
What is being lost in this whole discussion is that “The Packers” THE WHOLE TEAM, won a football game for the first time this year when Brett has thrown an interception.
The defense stepped up today, carried the offense when they were not at their best or even close to being at their best.
But when it mattered most The offense did their job.
Last drive:

Packers ball, 09:33
Kickoff Jason Hanson kicks 67 yards from Det30 to GB3, Vernand Morency returns to GB22 for 19 yards
1st-10-GB22 Rush Ahman Green Off Left End to GB27 for 5 yards
Penalty Det-Jamar Fletcher PENALIZED 5 yards for Pass Interference
1st-10-GB32 Rush Ahman Green Off Right Tackle to GB35 for 3 yards
2nd-7-GB35 Rush Ahman Green Off Left End to GB46 for 11 yards
1st-10-GB46 Incomplete Pass Brett Favre Pass Incomplete to Donald Driver
2nd-10-GB46 Rush Vernand Morency Off Right End to Det44 for 10 yards
1st-10-Det44 Penalty GB-Tony Moll PENALIZED -5 yards for False Start
1st-15-Det49 Rush Vernand Morency Off Right End to Det45 for 4 yards
2nd-11-Det45 Time Out Green Bay Packers timeout.
2nd-11-Det45 Rush Ahman Green Off Right End to Det44 for 1 yard
3rd-10-Det44 Pass Brett Favre Pass to Donald Driver to Det32 for 12 yards
1st-10-Det32 Rush Ahman Green Off Right Tackle to Det30 for 2 yards
2nd-8-Det30 Rush Ahman Green Off Left Tackle to Det31 for -1 yards
3rd-9-Det31 Rush Ahman Green Off Left Tackle to Det21 for 10 yards
1st-10-Det21 Rush Vernand Morency Off Left Guard for 21 yards for a TOUCHDOWN
Made Extra Point Dave Rayner extra point is GOOD. Holder-Jon Ryan
Det 9 GB 17, Plays: 12 Yards: 78 Possession: 6:45

This is the type of drive MM and everyone else has been hoping for all year. We ran the ball down their throats, Brett threw 3 passes…the first Detroit was penalized for pass interference resulting in a first down, the second was incomplete, the third was a 3rd and 10 completion to DD, to keep the drive going.

How many times must it be said. THIS IS A TEAM GAME!!!! You win as a team and you lose as a team, those of you who continue to play “The Blame Game” maybe should try joining a “Team” of some kind, experience how it feels to win and how it feels to lose. Then you might understand.

Brett did not have one of his better games today, BUT THE PACKERS WON

The TE’s were horrible today,BUT THE PACKERS WON

Ahman Green and Vernand Morency were a combined 29 rushes for 133 yds and 2 td’s, HEY THE PACKERS WON.

The very young O-line only gave up 1 sack, HEY THE PACKERS WON

Al Harris and Charles Woodson shut down the Lions receivers, HEY THE PACKER WON

The defensive line were relentless today, KGB showed how effective he can be by just playing on passing downs, Kampman, Jenkins and Williams combined for 6 sacks, HEY THE PACKERS WON.

I know some will say “yea but it was only The Lions”, well The Lions have put up some pretty big numbers on offense at times this year and it is proven every week, especially in the NFC, that any team can beat any other team(see redskins..saints).

Bottom line, THE PACKERS WON, and oh by the way, although still a long shot, The Packers are a lot closer to the playoffs after this weekend then before this weekend.

The time to complain and argue is during the off season, try being a FAN of the game, enjoy the wins, be dissapoointed with the losses, but remember, nothing anyone on this forum does or says is going to change who The Packers put out on the field, so support the guys who are out there, because believe it or not, THEY PLAY AS A TEAM, and are doing their very best, and trying their hardest to be perfect, but they are human……NOBODY IS PERFECT.

Sorry for the long tirad, just had to get this off my chest.

Buckeye - Thanks for this post. This really cheered me up. I should have replied to it earlier.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is time for some of you to quit expecting Brett Favre to be perfect every game. He never has been and he never will be perfect.

That's just it though. Those who don't expect Favre to be perfect are those who will hold him accountable for bad throws such as the two he had against the Lions. Then the DA comes in on Favre.

I agree that it was a breath of fresh air to finally win a game without Brett Favre playing well.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Without trying to be anti-Favre; when will be it most advantages for the future development of the Packers for Brett to retire?
I personally can't see this team making any truly great strides for at least another two years, if then. Far too many positions require major upgrades to make them a top competitor again. If TT or anyone can do it in the next year or two; my hats off to them

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why?

How many damn years do you want to give a GM to turn a football team around...8...10?

In today's NFL..teams can turn around in a year or two. There's no reason it should take that long.

And if TT give's Favre the weapons, why shouldn't they be able to go far in the playoffs next year...or even the SB?

3 years is long enough...or should be!

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Based on individual performances of a number of Packer players this past season, one has to be blind to not see that numerous positions on the pack have to be upgraded and if TT and MM can get it done in the next two years, great! My opinion is that it will take somewhat longer. The Bears are a good example. So, my original question stands; when will Brett Favre's retirement become the most advantageous for Green Bay? One has to admit that a new QB in GB will likely take some time to develop unless you plan on cloning Brett at age 28.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
And if TT give's Favre the weapons, why shouldn't they be able to go far in the playoffs next year...or even the SB?

So we'll give Favre weapons and ignore the Defense and be Super Bowl bound? I think Favre would need to committ for 2 more years for GB to have any shot at the SB with him. To many needs for this team right now and spending it on one free agency would a careless mistake by management.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

So we'll give Favre weapons and ignore the Defense and be Super Bowl bound? I think Favre would need to committ for 2 more years for GB to have any shot at the SB with him. To many needs for this team right now and spending it on one free agency would a careless mistake by management.

Once again Porky, you take the extreme view to set up your straw man arguments....

Where did I expressly say "ignore the defense"..?? (TT has done anything but ignore the defense in the last two years, and how well is that working out?)

I know..I know..this will somehow be Mike Sherman's fault, even though he is long gone.

There's plenty of cap room and plenty of money but if TT spends it on a FA, it's going to destroy the Packers future? I don't understand this reasoning. Other teams can sign FA's like the Patriots and Dallas...etc..etc..without ruining their seasons, but somehow TT can not?

I guess I give him more credit than you do to be a competent GM....

How long is this "too many needs created by Sherman" argument going to go on?

IF the Packers are .500 or less with or without Brett Favre the next two years, are you going to say TT hasn't had enough time yet... Let the man do his job?

The smart thing to do would be to put some weapons around you HOF QB at WR, make sure the O-Line was sound for pass protection and the running game, and build your defense. With that philosophy, you can go far..

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out, and it doesn't take all of the Packer's cap room and $$$ to do it either...That argument is getting old, and I'm beginning to think it's a defensive argument on your part to maybe protect or rationalize the moves that TT is going to make in the future...

Here's a word of advice. TT's a big boy and he doesn't need your excuses or protection. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to see that he really can build a winning team, but it takes more than a willingness not to spend $$ and a philosophy to build through the draft to be a good GM. (Sometimes I think some people are happy just because he won't spend money..)

A good GM has to be able to make solid FA picks that can contribute for the organization. He's done that a bit on the defensive side of the ball. I have yet to really see much of it done for the offensive side, however...and I am willing to suspend judgement on TT til' I see what he has in store next year in terms of building this team.

But remember, if he's using New England as his model, they have been very good at picking FA's on BOTH sides of the ball.

It matters.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Where did I expressly say "ignore the defense"..?? (TT has done anything but ignore the defense in the last two years, and how well is that working out?)

"And if TT give's Favre the weapons, why shouldn't they be able to go far in the playoffs next year...or even the SB?"

You stated nothing on the Defense at all. You stated give Favre weapons why shouldn't they be in the playoffs next year or even the Super Bowl. The answer is simple. IF we overload with weapons for Favre we'll still have the same ole Defense and at best it's 2004 all over again.

I know..I know..this will somehow be Mike Sherman's fault, even though he is long gone.

His name was not brought up at all.

There's plenty of cap room and plenty of money but if TT spends it on a FA, it's going to destroy the Packers future? I don't understand this reasoning. Other teams can sign FA's like the Patriots and Dallas...etc..etc..without ruining their seasons, but somehow TT can not?

He can't spend it all. New England has barely spent any money. So can I ask you about the 10-4 Patriots and when you stated that they would fall apart this year. Not only are they on the verge of another division title but another playoff birth. They still have cap.

The Cowboys didn't go out and spend big money when they were rebuilding. They built their team 1st and use the free agency to put their team over the top. I’m not saying don’t spend any money. I’m saying all the fans “Want “Want “Want in one year. This team has several holes that can’t be fixed in one off season.

How long is this "too many needs created by Sherman" argument going to go on?

I didn't bring up Sherman. You did.

IF the Packers are .500 or less with or without Brett Favre the next two years, are you going to say TT hasn't had enough time yet... Let the man do his job?

I have continue to state that the Packers need to win 8 or 9 wins next year and contend for a wild card with or without Favre for me to give or want Ted Thompson here for a 4th season.
The smart thing to do would be to put some weapons around you HOF QB at WR, make sure the O-Line was sound for pass protection and the running game, and build your defense. With that philosophy, you can go far..

Let's get into detail quick. We have a QB who will not commit to playing for the Packers next year and we are supposed to spend money on a hunch that he will be back? Now don't argue that spending the money for Favre will make him come back. It may and it may not. As for building your defense. How do we got about that? Do we do it through the Draft. That'll take at least one more good Draft to give us a good Defense and even then they are rookies and as you always say rookies can't be trusted so perhaps we should spend money on free agent defensive players as well. I have no problems spending money (like stated) but we need to spend it wisely over several seasons and several areas. We can’t overload on Defense or offense.

Here's a word of advice. TT's a big boy and he doesn't need your excuses or protection.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic we are debating right now. At least debate me with things that is rational to the topic we are debating. Please don't make this an on going thing about defending Ted Thompson which it is not. It's about the philosophy and approach to free agency.

A good GM has to be able to make solid FA picks that can contribute for the organization. He's done that a bit on the defensive side of the ball. I have yet to really see much of it done for the offensive side, however...and I am willing to suspend judgment on TT til' I see what he has in store next year in terms of building this team.

The Offense seems to be find. They rank 9th in the NFL. The offense is not the problem. The Defense is. They rank 18th in the NFL and rank 24th against the pass. Both areas need to be addressed. Frankly on offense I think Green Bay needs a quality TE and a RB. I would say the Defense is hurting the offense more than anything right now.

But remember, if he's using New England as his model, they have been very good at picking FA's on BOTH sides of the ball.

New England built through the Draft.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
not going to get into the whoe Ted thing again....

BUT N.E was built mostly on the draft with a few key f/a pick ups...

Just after Carroll was fired, Bill Belichick, hand-picked to be Parcells' successor with the Jets, quit after one day to join New England. Now left with the remants of Parcells' Patriots, which went downhill after the Super Bowl XXXIV defeat, Belichick needed to rebuild the team to overcome the poor finiancial and personnel management he had been left with. Salary was cut, and the movement of hard-working and cheaper free agents began in 2000, and would continue in 2001. After a tough rebuilding season with lots of close losses, the Patriots finished 5-11 in 2000

Sounds pretty familiar eh?