Time to tone it down

Sky King

Reaction score
For the PC conscious:

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, football game of your choice, but with respect for the players and fans of other teams who choose to be loyal to their own teams, as well as those persons who simply choose not to follow the NFL at all. Additionally, enjoy a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated game and life overall, but not without due respect for the interests of choice by persons of other cultures and sub-cultures whose contributions have helped to make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or ****** preferences.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the NFL spirit).

For the less PC conscious:

"The Bears Still Suck!"

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope the people condemning trash talking are equally condemning Rodgers doing the belt or Clay's Predator stance..... Yes that's trash talk too

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope the people condemning trash talking are equally condemning Rodgers doing the belt or Clay's Predator stance..... Yes that's trash talk too
trash talk is trash talk. I much prefer to see Rodgers shaking hands with his receivers after a TD or pumping his fist at his coaches or offensive line for the great call or excellent protection. Or see Matthews punch Peppers in the shoulder pads and tell him to go get one too.

and thinking trash talk doesn't need to be such a big part of every game doesn't have a lot to do with being PC or not, I'm pretty non-PC. for example, what do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? Nothing, you've already told her twice. I have more and I'll be here all week.

But i like the game for the game. The rest for me is like the fireworks before the game. Just fireworks and not necessary. It doesn't make me enjoy the game anymore and if it starts the turf on fire or I can't watch the first quarter of the super bowl because there's too much smoke at the top half of the Superdome, it starts detract from the game rather than add anything.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not disagree more.

The Pack, specifically the D, has been far too passive IMO. This is football not choir practice.

The displaying of "attitude" is a positive development that flows from confidence.
you don't think it's possible for a guy to line up and knock your teeth out without reminding about it afterwards? Think Reggie White was a repeat offender in the trash talk category? I"m not saying they never say anything, but this garbage where every play you have to say or do something is getting old. But it's not possible to be aggressive or powerful without trash talking?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the is a player that deserve to be trash talked to at every possible moment it is Kap. The guy is tool and a bad quarterback that can run well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just think how boring the movie "The Longest Yard" (1974 version) would have been without trash talking. Like it or not, its been around for a long time. Technology and the internet has just brought us fans closer to it.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you that took issue with Clay's gesture and comments.... Skip Bayless agrees with you. Yeah, you just let that sink in for a moment and then you're welcome to come to the dark side.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't think it's possible for a guy to line up and knock your teeth out without reminding about it afterwards? Think Reggie White was a repeat offender in the trash talk category? I"m not saying they never say anything, but this garbage where every play you have to say or do something is getting old. But it's not possible to be aggressive or powerful without trash talking?

Yeah, Reggie White (who spent the prime of his career playing for Buddy Ryan coached Philly teams notorious for their brash, "trash talking" defense) would just knock a guy's teeth out and never, ever say anything to another player, or would he ...?

"I heard a great story relayed by former Eagle Mike Golic about Reggie White from a preseason game back in the Buddy Days. In the middle of the game, a young offensive tackle started talking trash to Reggie White and swore at him profusely. Reggie responded by saying, "don't you cuss me." This got the young lineman talking more and more, swearing at Reggie. Each time Reggie replied with the same answer, "don't you cuss me." Eventually, Clyde Simmons, Golic, Jerome Brown, and Seth Joyner attempted to calm Reggie down as they could see how mad he was getting, but Reggie was able to keep his cool. In response, Reggie simply told the young lineman, "Jesus is coming....Jesus is coming....Jesus is coming."

Before he lined up for the next play, Golic told the guard in front of him, "Just to let you know, I'm taking a play off. I need to see this!" As the young offensive lineman approached the line of scrimmage, he continued to talk trash and cuss at Reggie. Once they got into their stances, Reggie repeated, "Jesus is coming...Jesus is coming...Jesus is coming". When the ball was snapped, Reggie yelled,"Here comes Jesus!!!!" and hit the lineman in the chest, shoving him back into the quarterback for a sack. Reggie then stood over the young lineman and said, "I told you don't cuss me."

http://phillysportsphan.blogspot.com/2006/07/mike-golic-reminds-us-why-we-loved.html

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[
Yeah, Reggie White (who spent the prime of his career playing for Buddy Ryan coached Philly teams notorious for their brash, "trash talking" defense) would just knock a guy's teeth out and never, ever say anything to another player, or would he ...?

"I heard a great story relayed by former Eagle Mike Golic about Reggie White from a preseason game back in the Buddy Days. In the middle of the game, a young offensive tackle started talking trash to Reggie White and swore at him profusely. Reggie responded by saying, "don't you cuss me." This got the young lineman talking more and more, swearing at Reggie. Each time Reggie replied with the same answer, "don't you cuss me." Eventually, Clyde Simmons, Golic, Jerome Brown, and Seth Joyner attempted to calm Reggie down as they could see how mad he was getting, but Reggie was able to keep his cool. In response, Reggie simply told the young lineman, "Jesus is coming....Jesus is coming....Jesus is coming."

Before he lined up for the next play, Golic told the guard in front of him, "Just to let you know, I'm taking a play off. I need to see this!" As the young offensive lineman approached the line of scrimmage, he continued to talk trash and cuss at Reggie. Once they got into their stances, Reggie repeated, "Jesus is coming...Jesus is coming...Jesus is coming". When the ball was snapped, Reggie yelled,"Here comes Jesus!!!!" and hit the lineman in the chest, shoving him back into the quarterback for a sack. Reggie then stood over the young lineman and said, "I told you don't cuss me."

http://phillysportsphan.blogspot.com/2006/07/mike-golic-reminds-us-why-we-loved.html
Cool story, now how many times do you remember seeing reggie going back to his side of the LOS jawing with another player on the other?

and don't put words in my mouth, I never said, they "never, ever say anything to another player" Pretty sure I've said they have, it just seems different today and much more frequent.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
[Pretty sure I've said they have, it just seems different today and much more frequent.

We also didn't have the speed of the internet or mics on the field "back in the day" to hear all of what was going on and spread the news. I seriously doubt much has changed.

I have read or listened to people bashing Mathews as well as defending him over what he said yesterday, but all agreed with what he said as being the truth, "Kap is no Russel Wilson", so I guess in this case, the truth hurt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We also didn't have the speed of the internet or mics on the field "back in the day" to hear all of what was going on and spread the news. I seriously doubt much has changed.

I have read or listened to people bashing Mathews as well as defending him over what he said yesterday, but all agreed with what he said as being the truth, "Kap is no Russel Wilson", so I guess in this case, the truth hurt.
I guess I have to make it clear, I'm not bashing him either. Thought I made it clear in my first post, just said I'd prefer they let their play do the talking for them.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[

Cool story, now how many times do you remember seeing reggie going back to his side of the LOS jawing with another player on the other?

and don't put words in my mouth, I never said, they "never, ever say anything to another player" Pretty sure I've said they have, it just seems different today and much more frequent.

Odd, I seem to remember Reggie as being the spiritual leader of a bada**, non-stop, trash talking Eagles D before he came to play with the choir boys in GB -- you know low-key individuals like Wayne Simmons and Eugene Robinson.

Anyway, for those too young to remember the Minister of Defense, do not think for a minute that he played the game with as little passion as Brad Jones, for Reggie not only had to sometimes be restrained from going after players on the other side of the line of scrimmage but he once went after an entire opposing team (the Cowboys) including their head coach (Barry Switzer) during a Monday night game. This occurred during the 1996 Super Bowl season when the D finished 1st overall and we won the Super Bowl.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/20/sports/smoldering-fire-fueled-by-a-late-field-goal.html

Again, I love the passion being displayed by the D this season and see no need, at present, to tone it down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do I need to re-phrase? thought my question was clear, how many times do you remember Reggie trash talking and jawing across huddles to a player on the other side? Often? overt? after every play? Every game? come on man. I don't care about wayne simmons, he wasn't my point. Nor Eugene, may he love his hookers before the big game.

I don't care if the Eagles d was non-stop talking, I didn't watch them, I have no idea. My memories are of him here, and he wasn't a trash talker, yet you seem to think that trash talking equals passion?? I think it's that's a crap analogy as i've seen many instances of passion across all sports and life and death where words were never uttered. Having passion and not being able to control your mouth aren't synonymous

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not disagree more.

The Pack, specifically the D, has been far too passive IMO. This is football not choir practice.

The displaying of "attitude" is a positive development that flows from confidence.

Given your screen name DaveRoller I'm not surprised by your opinion. Dave Roller was probably my first "favorite " Packers defensive player. At least he is the first I can recall. If I went through an all time roster I might find someone from earlier but I can't recall any off hand.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah but they are Packers so it's OK.

For the record I don't really care for either one but I sure love it when they get a chance to do it.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given your screen name DaveRoller I'm not surprised by your opinion. Dave Roller was probably my first "favorite " Packers defensive player. At least he is the first I can recall. If I went through an all time roster I might find someone from earlier but I can't recall any off hand.

The Pack may have mostly stunk on D in the 70s but Dave Roller always played with passion, or so it seemed to me as a young kid.

Pack's D the past few years has been very blah. Unleash the hounds, I say.

Reaction score
Almost everything the press has to say concerning "God" is used as propaganda to incite sensationalism. Shouldn't surprise us that the feeble minded have to drum up controversy out of nothing