Thompson looking to deal...????

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Like we have been saying on this board for a while... trading Cole is the most logical of the group.. but we shall see.

I really wonder if there is a market for Rayner or not?

THOMPSON LOOKING TO DEAL

According to a person familiar with the situation, GM Ted Thompson is looking to trade one of his young kickers and a defensive tackle between now and when final cuts are due on Saturday afternoon. The players being used as bait are believed to be Dave Rayner and Colin Cole. “Thompson thinks that those guys are simply too good to just release, so he’s working hard to get something done,” said the source. “If he can’t, it wouldn’t surprise me if he decides to keep both players around - even if it means carrying two kickers and six tackles.” more............

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. It looks like Ted will atleast have some leverage, if teams think that theres a possibility that he would keep Rayner and Cole if he can't trade them. We'll see what happens.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Later in here it went on to talk about not keeping a third QB on the roster and I have often thought about this same strategy. Put Thompson on the practice squad and keep your talented CB's and DLinemen if all possible.

The question is not only what are the odds we have to dig past Favre and Rodgers, but more importantly, would it really matter at that point?

Teams that have to reach to the #3 QB are not going to the playoffs anyways so keep players that will get on the field and contribute.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Teams that have to reach to the #3 QB are not going to the playoffs anyways so keep players that will get on the field and contribute.

The only issue with Thompson on the Practice Squad is would he last there or would someone pluck him of there and onto a roster at #3.

I look forward here and say, if Favre leaves after this year we have to have someone that has been in the system for a while or sign a veteran to backup Rodgers. Since we seem to choose youth over veterans in backup roles.. I don't see Thompson signing a veteran backup for the coin they would warrant.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Thompson get's plucked from our practice squad. I'm not going to say it will never happen but odds are a team is going to go after someone more proven if they have a need for a #3 QB.

If a team is hurting for depth he is not the answer and there are plenty of QB's with potential if that's what somebody is looking for.

I think a 3rd QB on the roster right now is a waste. Especially Thompson. He has upside but he is not going to start a game for the Packers at this point. All stops would be pulled to grab a known guy if it came down to this.

If that's the case then why hold out a spot for him?

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do have some leverage, in that, while teams realize these players may be cut eventually - there is no guarantee they will be able to claim and sign ahead of another team.

If either of these players is coveted or if a team has a need at either position(DT being the most likely), then a trade would be possible.

In a perfect world the trade would be for a servicable veteran TE or RB, but more likely we would be looking at low to mid draft choice(4-7).

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
93 makes a good point too.

my only thing is... if Brett does leave next year. we know Aaron is taking over. and we should know this before the draft.

So if Thompson did get snatched up off the practice squad... then we would draft another project QB... and sign a decent veteran.

if you sign a veteran to back up Aaron he should have an offseason plus the year to get accustomed to the offense. it shouldnt take that long to get adjusted to an NFL system if your an experienced veteran.

but i do agree... going into a season with only one SEMI-proven QB would be scary.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I can't take this seriously at all. It looks like a blog to me so I'll believe this when I see it.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Again I can't take this seriously at all. It looks like a blog to me so I'll believe this when I see it.

Agreed, but what out there isn't more of a blog than another.. sportswriters for there papers have nothing but opinion to base most of which they write about.

Just more fodder to talk about moreso than believing that it is off the desk of the GM. This one is pretty logical and has been kicked around for weeks.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Agreed, but what out there isn't more of a blog than another.. sportswriters for there papers have nothing but opinion to base most of which they write about.

Just more fodder to talk about moreso than believing that it is off the desk of the GM. This one is pretty logical and has been kicked around for weeks.

There is a difference when Pro Football Weekly (an affilate of ESPN) ESPN John Clayton, Chris Mortenson, Michael Smith, SI's Peter King, and your national media says "sources tell us" than some blog that is written by some no namer.

Now no one is right 100% of the time but I take that stuff with a grain of salt but when the above listed say something then i usually listen. That's just how I am though.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Reported on Ben Maller that the Packers are talking to both the Giants and the Cowgirls who both need kickers. Atlanta was mentioned as well. It was said it could be very good if the Pack could get two division rivals bidding against each other.

I think TT is definately going to try and leverage the depth at kicker and DT right now before the roster has to be set and keeping both would require a sacrifice.

Now is the best time for this move so the fact there is talk of TT negotiating something is not surprising to me.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*desperately searchs the Giants and Cowboys depth chart for possible new packers.....

leaves empty handed*.

i didnt see one player on either roster that they would part with that would also fill a need for us.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why is this a surprise? We have two good kickers, obviously Ted is going to try and trade one of them instead of get nothing.

Whether he's trying HARD or just putting feelers out there, thats debatable.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that he can keep both and not just do the "hey, lets do a trade" "why, ur gonna cut them in an hour?" routine...is good.

Work a deal. If not, keep them.

Wait and see. Because a team WILL lose some games due to bad kicking, and they will be calling Ted Thompson faster than you can say 'hallarious'

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that he can keep both and not just do the "hey, lets do a trade" "why, ur gonna cut them in an hour?" routine...is good.

Work a deal. If not, keep them.

Wait and see. Because a team WILL lose some games due to bad kicking, and they will be calling Ted Thompson faster than you can say 'hallarious'

I agree, keep them both and squeeze a trade out of someone.

Although we seem to be getting thinner at running back with the Jackson injury, and this strategy may not be possible.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
If they do trade one of them look for the trade to be with Dallas or The Jets.

Maybe a DT... but the Jets have Mike Nugent from the Ohio State U. as there kicker... I don't know that he has struggled that much...

Did I miss something other than the kick in San Diego in 05?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'd like to send a kicker to the Cowboys for Julius Jones in some fashion. I'm sure more than a kicker would be required, but I'd like to get Julius Jones in a Packer uni.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard both the Giants and the Cowboys are looking for a new kicker, the Giants are in huge difficulties, in their last preseason game I think their two kickers combined for 2/6.

If both the Giants and the Cowboys get into the fight for Rayner the Packers could get much more than they usually would get for a kicker, if neither the Giants or the Cowboys wants to swing a trade, we keep Rayner on the roster untill someone needs him and wants to trade, and that will happen before the trade deadline.

We could get by with only two QBs and tuck Thompson in the practice squad, if Favre and Rodgers go down our season is over and Thompson as the third QB on our roster is no use because he's probably as good as any QB we can find and pick up if we need too. Obviously if TT and MM think Thompson is the new Brett Favre we keep him on the roster, but I doubt it.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Reported on Ben Maller that the Packers are talking to both the Giants and the Cowgirls who both need kickers. Atlanta was mentioned as well. It was said it could be very good if the Pack could get two division rivals bidding against each other.

I think TT is definately going to try and leverage the depth at kicker and DT right now before the roster has to be set and keeping both would require a sacrifice.

Now is the best time for this move so the fact there is talk of TT negotiating something is not surprising to me.

below is an article from the Journal Sentinal by Tom Silverstein, the Packer beat reporter. In it he states that the interested teams MIGHT be.....not that there are any talks at the moment

Green Bay - As the kicking battle between Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby reaches its conclusion, the Green Bay Packers know much more about who will be interested in offering a trade proposal.

The teams most likely to be interested in a kicker appear to be the New York Giants, Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys.

The ultimate scenario for the Packers would be if the Giants and Cowboys both decide they want one of Green Bay's two kickers. Getting two teams in the same division to bid against one another could result in the Packers getting far more than they ever thought.

The Giants' situation is the most desperate after their two kickers, Lawrence Tynes and rookie Josh Huston, combined to go 1 for 4 on field-goal attempts Saturday in an exhibition loss to the New York Jets. Coach Tom Coughlin said after the game that he definitely would be exploring the market.

In Dallas, veteran Martin Gramatica pulled a hamstring on a kickoff against Houston Saturday night and his status remains up in the air. Gramatica, who received a $200,000 signing bonus when he re-signed with the team in the off-season, missed one extra point and had an extremely poor kickoff before exiting against the Texans.

His competition, sixth-round pick Nick Folk, has hit all three of his field goals in the exhibition season, including a 52-yarder, and has been consistent. Like Crosby, he has not kicked in a regular-season game and hasn't faced the weekly pressure of performing in the National Football League.

The Cowboys probably would be interested in Rayner, who has a year as a kickoff man and a year as a full-time kicker under his belt, more than they would Crosby. But if Gramatica's hamstring injury isn't serious they'll probably stand pat.

The Falcons are going with veteran Billy Cundiff at this time. Cundiff has been outstanding on field goals, hitting on five of six, but he does not have a strong leg and his average distance on kickoffs (66.2 yards) ranks 30th among kickers in exhibition play.

Opponents are averaging 41.6 yards per return on his five kickoffs.
Rayner beat out Cundiff last year in Packers camp and might appeal to the Falcons if he's available. Rayner ranks first in the NFL in average kickoff distance with a 71.6 mark.

For the summer, Crosby has hit 85% of his field-goal attempts in practice and Rayner has hit 81%. Both kickers are 3 for 3 on field goals in exhibition games.

As for keeping both Rayner and Crosby, the Packers won't rule it out, although coach Mike McCarthy refused to get into the specifics of how that would work.

"We continue to talk about keeping the best 53, and the way those two guys are kicking the football, you could make an argument for that," McCarthy said. "We'll see what happens."

Members online

Latest posts