The Thompson way

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT got off to a very shaky start in GB. Many of his first decisions contributed to the inexplicably horrible '05 season after 3-straight divsion crowns. Then firing Sherman, who was only the 2nd winningest coach in team history, after that season really didn't sit well with me. It felt like a personal decision on TT's part, not a professional one & that led me to believe that the whole '05 debacle was borderline intentional & a trade-off that was acceptable to TT as long as it meant he could then justify firing Sherman & handpick his preferred replacement.

It took me a very long time to overcome those issues. Winning games is the ultimate vindication for a GM's philosophy & that's why TT's won me over.

If James Jones is still a Packer next season I'll be very pleased. The guy knows how to get open. #12 needs guys that give him the opportunity to put points on the board.

I gotta disagree with that. Sherman ran the team into the ground $ wise and ftball wise as a GM and coach. TT came in, drafted Rodgers, Collins, and Poppinga. He didnt resign Wahle, Rivera, or Sharper, which IMO was the right move as Sharper was a pain in the *ss and Wahle and Rivera were on the decline with only 1 good year for each of them after. What they wanted to be paid was insane.

The biggest early mistake he made early on was not resigning Longwell.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always had lingering doubts about him till this season. I've always felt he was doing a fine job, but never put him in "elite GM" category.

But looking at the depth he has estabilished in this team, even with his #1 flaw still being in place (OL reposition after Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera, Clifton and Tauscher), now I trust him completely.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Frank, he is a good GM who is very underrated for seeing talent and building a team the right way because he isnt flashy. Until we win a Super-Bowl, he will just be a good GM. I love him as a GM, but get bored during the offseason because the Packers never get players in free agency, but I have learned that those who win in the off-season rarely win in the regular season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT got off to a very shaky start in GB. Many of his first decisions contributed to the inexplicably horrible '05 season after 3-straight divsion crowns. Then firing Sherman, who was only the 2nd winningest coach in team history, after that season really didn't sit well with me. It felt like a personal decision on TT's part, not a professional one & that led me to believe that the whole '05 debacle was borderline intentional & a trade-off that was acceptable to TT as long as it meant he could then justify firing Sherman & handpick his preferred replacement.

It took me a very long time to overcome those issues. Winning games is the ultimate vindication for a GM's philosophy & that's why TT's won me over.

If James Jones is still a Packer next season I'll be very pleased. The guy knows how to get open. #12 needs guys that give him the opportunity to put points on the board.
As IVO said, TT's only choice was to rebuild. The roster was so talent poor, there were no quick fixes that would have gotten into being a contender. At some point, when there are leaks all over the boat, and the hull is worn thin, its just time to get a new boat rather than trying to patch the leaks.

This season has been up and down. The loss of stars to injury is disheartening, but the emergence of good players in their stead is exciting. The performances of Bishop, Peprah, Starks etc. are all testaments to the value of a deep roster as well as the eye for talent that TT has. Additionally, there are those who clamor for veteran leadership through FAs. Well, with average veterans taking up roster spots, would we even have Bishop, Peprah, Tramon, etc on our team? These players sat and developed before emerging into the players that they are. How many would have been replaced by average veterans?

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As IVO said, TT's only choice was to rebuild. The roster was so talent poor, there were no quick fixes that would have gotten into being a contender. At some point, when there are leaks all over the boat, and the hull is worn thin, its just time to get a new boat rather than trying to patch the leaks.

This season has been up and down. The loss of stars to injury is disheartening, but the emergence of good players in their stead is exciting. The performances of Bishop, Peprah, Starks etc. are all testaments to the value of a deep roster as well as the eye for talent that TT has. Additionally, there are those who clamor for veteran leadership through FAs. Well, with average veterans taking up roster spots, would we even have Bishop, Peprah, Tramon, etc on our team? These players sat and developed before emerging into the players that they are. How many would have been replaced by average veterans?

WTF? Are we talking about the same team? Did someone change the subject to the Lions & I missed it?

How did GB win 3 of the first 4 NFC North crowns with a sinking ship? TT had more than one choice. Rebuilding is a copout excuse. The roster didn't become talent poor until '05. Offense was humming along nicely in '04 but the D was lacking. The overhaul of the O-line was TT's first order of business upon being hired. Why? Shouldn't the D have been the more responsible issue to address? It would have been if winning was actaully on TT's agenda in '05.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
WTF? Are we talking about the same team? Did someone change the subject to the Lions & I missed it?

How did GB win 3 of the first 4 NFC North crowns with a sinking ship? TT had more than one choice. Rebuilding is a copout excuse. The roster didn't become talent poor until '05. Offense was humming along nicely in '04 but the D was lacking. The overhaul of the O-line was TT's first order of business upon being hired. Why? Shouldn't the D have been the more responsible issue to address? It would have been if winning was actaully on TT's agenda in '05.

you whine but all i see is us almost making the super bowl three years into ted thompsons era but favre threw a season ending pick and now rodgers and company have been legit contenders the past 2 years

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The roster in '04 had some good players on it. THere were holes on the starting roster, and there was no depth on the team. Who has emerged from the depth of the '05 team and is now a significant starter?

Scott Wells? Thats it, I believe. Jenkins was starting. Contrast that to today. How many players stepped up from the depth and are providing significant impacts? Kuhn, Peprah, Bishop, FLynn, etc. Those 3 were on the bench/limited roles while they developed. And these are only the guys who had an opportunity to step up. There may be a few more who are behind our stars who have the ability to step it up.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Frank, he is a good GM who is very underrated for seeing talent and building a team the right way because he isnt flashy. Until we win a Super-Bowl, he will just be a good GM. I love him as a GM, but get bored during the offseason because the Packers never get players in free agency, but I have learned that those who win in the off-season rarely win in the regular season.

That's exactly correct. Teams who "win" in the off-season don't generally have a long history of consistent winning in the regular season. Those with a tradition of winning, those teams who win every year for long periods at a time, don't often do much in free agency. They don't make many in-season trades either. Instead they draft and develop, which is what we do.

The only reason why we've been as successful as we have been this season is because of the draft and develop philosophy. We've been able to establish proven, quality depth at many positions, which not only gives us trade leverage to stockpile future draft picks, but it also means we're going to be scarier next year when we have our starers back.

Win or lose this weekend, we're in a great place to be for years to come.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
That's exactly correct. Teams who "win" in the off-season don't generally have a long history of consistent winning in the regular season. Those with a tradition of winning, those teams who win every year for long periods at a time, don't often do much in free agency. They don't make many in-season trades either. Instead they draft and develop, which is what we do.

The only reason why we've been as successful as we have been this season is because of the draft and develop philosophy. We've been able to establish proven, quality depth at many positions, which not only gives us trade leverage to stockpile future draft picks, but it also means we're going to be scarier next year when we have our starers back.

Win or lose this weekend, we're in a great place to be for years to come.

TT did a great job picking up the FAs that he needed to, once guys at key positions started to go down. He knew which of these no name guys to plug in and where. He got immediate results. I believe there's more to it than draft and develop. Sure thats how we got most of our stars, but you can't just scrap the season once guys get injured.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but there's a reason why Ted was able to just plug in guys and not miss a beat. It's because we were able to develop them so they'd be ready. You don't send 15 guys to IR and still make the playoffs relying purely on luck.

You're right about him picking up free agents to fill the holes. I think the difference with our style of free agency compared to others is we don't go after the free agents with big names, and thus big salaries. We go after free agents who fill a specific need and come with more upside potential. Or sometimes just to get a body when there is none.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've had my doubts over the years about TT but I'm glad I was wrong. Thats why he gets the big $$ and I don't.

As far as Jones goes, I say put him on the jugs machine for an 1/2 hour every day. If he drops any of them he has to start the 1/2 hour over. Then again he may just be out there forever....

Members online

Latest posts