The Thompson way

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article on how Ted Thompson handles players, contracts, and how it has paid off for the Packers. Was wondering, do you guys support ted? on the fence? Or against the way he does things? If he resigns James Jones will you be upset about it?

Thompson

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article on how Ted Thompson handles players, contracts, and how it has paid off for the Packers. Was wondering, do you guys support ted? on the fence? Or against the way he does things? If he resigns James Jones will you be upset about it?

Thompson

Ted Thompson is pretty good

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thompson

Nice article. I support TT. I like how he doesn't blow money at free agents, though there are times I think he is too cautious. What wins me over with him is his ability to to find solid players out of nowhere. Walden? Shields? Zombo? Tramon Williams? Would anyone have heard of them today if it weren't for TT? I don't think so.

As for James Jones, I would not be upset if he is resigned. In fact, I think we should resign him. While he has been inconsistent he has shown flashes of greatness and I think we need to keep him around. After all, who would we replace him with? As the saying goes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

packerswin96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you not support him? He has done almost everything right including letting Favre go, and rewarding your own players rather than signing "outsiders" to big money deals.
And I fully expect Jones to be resigned, because as I have already said Driver is at the end of his great career and we will need Jones and Nelson even more next season.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Thompson, the way he finds no name guys that have a huge impact immediatly or within a year or two is amazing. It is almost like the Patriots, and as much as i hate the Patriots if we could have a system like theirs we would be a winning franchise year after year. One of the reasons they win is they normally do not waist draft picks and find diamonds in the rough of unsigned draft picks, TT in a way is the same. Both of our coaching staffs are some of the top in league which allows players with the right attitude and work ethic to thrive. I believe between TT and the coaches we have we are close to that level. The biggest difference, and it is a big difference, is the special teams.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson is hated only by 1) The Favreites, and 2) Bright Lights Guys, who can't stand TT's demeanor on TV

Both of these groups hate everything I like most about Thompson. He is a humble guy who goes about his job quietly and very effectively.

If he and MM think Jones should be resigned, it's o.k. with me. All Jones needs is a shock treatment, or something else to make him concentrate.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Thompson, the way he finds no name guys that have a huge impact immediatly or within a year or two is amazing. It is almost like the Patriots, and as much as i hate the Patriots if we could have a system like theirs we would be a winning franchise year after year. One of the reasons they win is they normally do not waist draft picks and find diamonds in the rough of unsigned draft picks, TT in a way is the same. Both of our coaching staffs are some of the top in league which allows players with the right attitude and work ethic to thrive. I believe between TT and the coaches we have we are close to that level. The biggest difference, and it is a big difference, is the special teams.

Another reason they win is because they cheat.

Seeing how Burnt Fart failed his last three seasons while getting worse and how well A-Rod has been playing and getting better, we now know that TT made the right decision. (Yeah, that's for you OBF Forum lurkers. So take that!)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure you will find many of the TT haters anymore. They have re-registered with a new ID and now act like they were supporters all along; became Viking fans; or stopped following football on internet forums; rather than admit that TT was correct in almost all of his decisions and that they were wrong. Very wrong.

Even the, 'Okay,-even-though-he-is-successful-in-the-draft-he-got-lucky-on-many-picks-but-he-still-doesn't-use-Free-Agency-tool-therefore-he-is-a-poor-GM' crowd is also starting to disappear.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always supported TT and probably always will. He doesn't make the popular decision. He is always thinking the best for the franchise.

And as it has been proven in the past, that is how an organization remains competitive for years at a time. Such as the Eagles and Patriots have for over a decade now.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasnt that long ago that the majority hated him. Ill admit that I have doubted him at times and been critical of him at times. Also have defended him when people pointlessly bash him for silly things.

Jones I feel like could be a SB MVP or catch 1 pass for 5 yards. I think we all see the big play potential from him. If anything his drops this season will bring his price down and we will get a good deal on him if he is willing to stay.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I've never outright disliked him. However, it's only been this year that I've really begun to appreciate what he does and what he's done for this team. I don't always agree with every decision he makes, especially not right away, but he's proven that he knows what he's doing. Nobody's perfect, he's allowed a slip up here and there.

All in all, he's earned my faith and whenever he makes a decision that I don't outright agree with, I've come to tell myself that he's doing it for some reason, and it will pay off.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hes earned my trust, he has done nothing but good things. He has had some miscues but overall his good out wiegh his bad.

Sandmire33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the heat of the moment i disliked some of TT's moves but it seems to work out well for us with his decisions. I guess thats why he is the GM and i watch on Sundays. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on James Jones though. If he thinks he's worth more money then let him walk, next year we will have Finley back and i believe Jordy can really step up so the depth will be there.. just my opinion though

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Not sure you will find many of the TT haters anymore. They have re-registered with a new ID and now act like they were supporters all along; became Viking fans; or stopped following football on internet forums; rather than admit that TT was correct in almost all of his decisions and that they were wrong. Very wrong.

Even the, 'Okay,-even-though-he-is-successful-in-the-draft-he-got-lucky-on-many-picks-but-he-still-doesn't-use-Free-Agency-tool-therefore-he-is-a-poor-GM' crowd is also starting to disappear.

AmishMafia...you have an uncanny (sp) knack of hitting the nail on the head!!!

*probably due to the fact of all that practice with hand tools and no electric tools!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasnt that long ago that the majority hated him. Ill admit that I have doubted him at times and been critical of him at times. Also have defended him when people pointlessly bash him for silly things.

Jones I feel like could be a SB MVP or catch 1 pass for 5 yards. I think we all see the big play potential from him. If anything his drops this season will bring his price down and we will get a good deal on him if he is willing to stay.
My sentiments exactly. Totally. TT's done a very good job.
You can't use the word "great" until there are some rings, IMO. But this team is capable of that going forward, and that's thanks to him mostly.

I'm glad he jettisoned Favre too. I just wish he had traded him right to Minny for 2 year's of #1 picks.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the anti-TT, Favre ball-washers are definitely a bunch of cowards. There's no way they'll come back to eat their healthy serving of crow, which is fine by me.

We should make sure to keep this thread handy for when there is a new CBA, free agency rolls around and Ted opts not to sign another big name free agent. Remind people that he knows what he's doing more so than any of us on this board.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
i certainly doubted him but turns out he was right and i was wrong

Don't see this admission much in the world of today's anonymous internet. Woodchip just gained a few notches in my view AND he has that hot avatar.

I think Jones, though he is in my doghouse, is a good receiver's coach away from playing at the Pro Bowl level. Needs to break some old habits and relearn how to catch the ball consistently. I hope we resign him.

TT has proven himself to me. Am glad he is ours.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"All Jones needs is a shock treatment, or something else to make him concentrate."

-adderall?

Amphetamines are banned substances.

Maybe a couple of slaps 'long side the head would be effective.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT got off to a very shaky start in GB. Many of his first decisions contributed to the inexplicably horrible '05 season after 3-straight divsion crowns. Then firing Sherman, who was only the 2nd winningest coach in team history, after that season really didn't sit well with me. It felt like a personal decision on TT's part, not a professional one & that led me to believe that the whole '05 debacle was borderline intentional & a trade-off that was acceptable to TT as long as it meant he could then justify firing Sherman & handpick his preferred replacement.

It took me a very long time to overcome those issues. Winning games is the ultimate vindication for a GM's philosophy & that's why TT's won me over.

If James Jones is still a Packer next season I'll be very pleased. The guy knows how to get open. #12 needs guys that give him the opportunity to put points on the board.

tmlfan3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like everyone I questioned him the first couple years... but not anymore. The thing with this "style" is that you need those couple years to build up your type of players and develop your system of providing depth. I believe this year we are seeing the direct result of what he has done in how good we potentially are even with the injuries. At this point, I'm not going question anything he does until at least a year after it's done...

Members online

Latest posts