The Seattle Purge Begins!

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Schnieder had some great early drafts but his drafting over last couple years is horrid. Looks like a rookie gambler that had some beginners luck to me. He has drafted one starter in last two years out of 20 picks. Half the guys he has drafted aren't even on there roster or practice squad. How is that good drafting and developing?

Once again if TT had those results people would be calling for his head. Don't put the Seahawks in the same league as our front office please.

As far as the Harvin deal putting the Seahawks "over the top" that may have been the goal but I would argue Schneider is now eligible and qualified to write a book called "How to destroy a roster and potential dynasty", Good news for us is we don't have to worry about the Seahawks anymore. They knocked themselves out.
I think you may be burying the Hawks too soon. But I bet they wish they had kept golden Tate. It's easy to be a draft genius when you picking at the top of the draft. When you have to pick consistently at the back and keep making hit's is when you find the real masters of talent. Ozzy Newsome and TT are two of the best.

D

Deleted member 6794

Schnieder had some great early drafts but his drafting over last couple years is horrid. Looks like a rookie gambler that had some beginners luck to me. He has drafted one starter in last two years out of 20 picks. Half the guys he has drafted aren't even on there roster or practice squad. How is that good drafting and developing?

Once again if TT had those results people would be calling for his head. Don't put the Seahawks in the same league as our front office please.

Please don't act as if that hasn't happened to Thompson as well. The 2011 and 2012 drafts have produced two starters with 11 of the 18 guys not on the team anymore.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think you may be burying the Hawks too soon. But I bet they wish they had kept golden Tate. It's easy to be a draft genius when you picking at the top of the draft. When you have to pick consistently at the back and keep making hit's is when you find the real masters of talent. Ozzy Newsome and TT are two of the best.

Exactly, if you read my earlier posts on this subject I state that Schneider has proven to be no TT. Schneider and the Seahawks have been drafting all these "high risk", "experimental", "**** draft picks" that haven't been panning out which IMO is the main reason the back half of there roster is depleted.

I can really appreciate the consistency of TT. Seahawks probably do regret not keeping Tate as he made a lot of big plays for them in crunch time situation. They probably also regret drafting Paul Richardson instead of Jordan Matthews or Devante Adams but I'm not complaining,

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Please don't act as if that hasn't happened to Thompson as well. The 2011 and 2012 drafts have produced two starters with 11 of the 18 guys not on the team anymore.

Combine his recent bad drafting with paying the wrong people "too much" with the massive failed Harvin deal and there you are. I will never compare all of that to TT.

So disrespectful

D

Deleted member 6794

Combine his recent bad drafting with paying the wrong people "too much" with the massive failed Harvin deal and there you are. I will never compare all of that to TT.

So disrespectful

Geez, I think it's disrepectful to not being able to accomplish anything people working or playing for other organizations have done. It has only been nine months since the Seahawks won the Super Bowl by holding the highest scoring offense in NFL history to 8 points and now, after losing two in a row, John Schneider doesn't have a clue after all??? That's BS.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Schneider "is no TT" in a more important way: He does not equal Thompson in power within their respective organizations. Remember Carroll was hired first and he holds the titles of HC and executive vice president of football operations, while Schneider is the GM. Thompson of course is VP of football operations and GM and he hired McCarthy. Here's a quote from a January 2010 article. (Leiweke is the CEO of the Seahawks): "Asked about his role in arbitrating disputes between his coach and GM, Leiweke said, “...My job is not going to be to sit in judgment necessarily on specific issues, but overall to synthesize this group and make sure they have the resources they need to be successful. We’re going to have collaboration on the draft and our general manager will hear from Pete, and that’s a really important thing. That’s really how we wanted to set this up. ... We’re going to set this up so there is good tension where people are weighing in and we’re talking and we’re communicating, and no one person will sit in judgment of sweeping issues.”

So who holds the tie-breaker when Carroll and Shneider disagree? Leiweke didn't want to say. But I think the last sentence of the article and the title tell the story. The last sentence: "But don’t be fooled into thinking Schneider will have the same input as Carroll either." and the title: "For Seattle Seahawks, Pete Carroll's No. 1 and John Schneider No. 1A".

BTW, the article also alleges two GM candidates withdrew from consideration for precisely that reason.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/329492-in-seattle-pete-carrolls-no-1-john-schneiders-no-1a

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Geez, I think it's disrepectful to not being able to accomplish anything people working or playing for other organizations have done. It has only been nine months since the Seahawks won the Super Bowl by holding the highest scoring offense in NFL history to 8 points and now, after losing two in a row, John Schneider doesn't have a clue after all??? That's BS.

I have been on board with this theory for some time now way longer then two weeks and you should know that.

Like how about there D-line that we have chatted about for 6 months now it seems and that you thought wasn't gonna miss a beat this year. Well there last in pass rush buddy.

And I am sorry I can't respect a franchise or organization that represents themselves such as the Seahawks and Pete Carroll. They make me want to vomit.

Yeah your right they were great on defense. "WERE". Watch Kam spank em today. lol,

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I read it.
This is from the article you posted: "The decision to trade for and pay Harvin likely hindered Seattle’s ability to re-sign Golden Tate, the team’s leading receiver in 2013." People are down playing the losses Seattle already has had in players without even beginning to talk about the next two years.

The article suggests they're in great shape because they have 40 players under contract. I had earlier posted the facts behind the amount of free agents Seattle has coming due. It's very misleading to suggest they have 43 mil in cap space AND 40 players under contract so all is "just fine". They have 43 million in cap space and have 47 players coming due in the next 2 years. THAT tells us a lot more about the realities of their situation.

Please check out this site. This lists all of the players coming due in 2015 and 2016 for each team. Take a look at the Packers and Seattle and take a look at the actual players coming due. Heads up...you will need to scroll when looking at Seattle's and it's a list of whose who on their team. http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/seattle-seahawks/
Go a step further and to give you perspective, take a look at other teams with similar cap numbers. I just did that. I think a person could easily argue Seattle has the biggest challenge in the league over the next 2 years to try to keep this roster like it looks now. Like I've been saying all along here, they basically have to sign their entire roster including their superstars.

I think going on and on and on about this is rather silly...No one will actually know until those players come due..

But here are more things I thought of and found.

Ability to sign Golden Tate---it was either Tate or Harvin...No real issue here as that happens to teams all the time...Sign player A or sign player B

From article
Both teams should be in great shape cap wise in 2015. The cap will be $144 million in 2015 if it has a similar percentage increase as this year (8.13 percent).

The Seahawks will have a $7.2 million cap charge (or dead money) next year for Harvin from the 2015, 2016 and 2017 proration of his signing bonus. The net effect is an increase of $5.7 million in 2015 cap room, as Harvin’s 2015 cap number was $12.9 million.

http://fansided.com/2014/10/22/nfl-salary-cap-fallout-percy-harvin-trade/

As it is, the Seahawks are able to end out with some extra salary cap space next year that wasn’t initially in the plan. They’ve planed ahead to make sure they can re-sign Wilson, but this extra space should be enough to allow them to keep other pieces, like linebackers K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner.

When you consider it that way, it is difficult not to think of the Percy Harvin trade as a long-term positive for the Seahawks.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2024865752_condottanflcolumn26xml.html
One reason Seattle decided not to get involved in the Tate free-agency sweepstakes, besides assuming Harvin would replace his production, is that the Seahawks wanted to clear cap space to re-sign Michael Bennett, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas, and also to set the stage for re-signing Russell Wilson next spring.

That also led to Seattle not re-signing, or releasing, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Clinton McDonald and Walter Thurmond.

Rumor----Lynch wont be a Seahawk after this season, so if true then they dont need that $$$

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/26/ma...s-reportedly-will-part-ways-after-the-season/
Per @MortReport, the @Seahawks have grown tired of Marshawn Lynch's ways and he's not expected to return next season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think going on and on and on about this is rather silly...No one will actually know until those players come due..

But here are more things I thought of and found.

Ability to sign Golden Tate---it was either Tate or Harvin...No real issue here as that happens to teams all the time...Sign player A or sign player B

From article

http://fansided.com/2014/10/22/nfl-salary-cap-fallout-percy-harvin-trade/

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2024865752_condottanflcolumn26xml.html

Rumor----Lynch wont be a Seahawk after this season, so if true then they dont need that $$$

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/26/ma...s-reportedly-will-part-ways-after-the-season/

They didn't need Tate because they thought Harvin was gonna more then replace his production. They "low balled him", Tate was on sports radio two days after he signed with Detroit and called the Seattle offer "laughable". He said, "he felt disrespected." Then there was the rumor he slept with Russell Wilson's wife who Wilson is now divorcing. There is also the story of Harvin hitting Tate because of this situation.

This team is a soap opera and a bunch of "low character guys" except for Wilson who almost comes across as trying to hard to say all the right things.

Like one poster said they sold there souls for that championship

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Two starters are Cobb and Daniels, Perry, Hayward and Casey are still developing and are very good depth and The Jury is still out on Sherrod. Not stellar drafts but by no means busts. 2013 and 2014 are looking to be great drafts and it is still early on how far they will go.

Drafting is not an exact science and you won't hit on every player. Drafting is a SWAG. You look at the film, you look at his measurable's, and you look at the intangibles and then you make a SWAG on how he will fare in the NFL. Many things can go wrong that you can't judge when you grade and draft. Durability, the speed of the game, the playbook, execution....... What makes TT exceptional is where he has had to draft during his tenure, 24,5, 16,30,9,23,32,28,26,21.
During his Tenure, we have made the playoffs 6 times and short of a disaster will be there again this year, two NFC Championship games, one Superbowl, 3 straight division titles. Add to that he hired a young and relativity unknown offensive coordinator as the teams coach.

He had the balls to trade Brett Favre following a year that he took the team to the NFC championship. He endured the ire of the fan base and Brett beating us twice the year he turned purple.

I am dumbfounded at the continued criticism of TT.

Rant no directed at you specifically Capt.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of things to like about Ted, but maybe the big thing is that he's impervious to outside pressure. Carefully makes his plan, sticks with it, executes it.
The guy's rock solid.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
It's a jungle in here;)

Members online

Latest posts