The Seattle Purge Begins!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The salary cap purge to free up money for Wilson's contract has begun. We knew this was coming. Percy Harvin traded to Jets. Wonder how good they feel now about giving up a first for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

The salary cap purge to free up money for Wilson's contract has begun. We knew this was coming. Percy Harvin traded to Jets. Wonder how good they feel now about giving up a first for him.

They didn't trade Harvin because of salary cap issues. They had approximately $29 million of space available for 2015 before trading him.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't trade Harvin because of salary cap issues. They had approximately $29 million of space available for 2015 before trading him.

Here we go again with the cap debate and comments. You couldn't be more wrong.

Apparently he was bad in the locker room (enter bad GM player review comments here) but to think his giant salary wasn't a huge reason is just silly. This was in the very first article I read on the trade:

The cap-strapped Seahawks already paid All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman and fellow Legion of Boom member Earl Thomas. They ended tailback Marshawn Lynch‘s holdout by agreeing to restructure his deal. They’ve had to let key members of their Super Bowl roster like receiver Golden Tate and defensive end Chris Clemons leave as free agents.
Wilson, still working under his third-round rookie contract, is going to be due a monster deal if he continues to play like he has, and Harvin‘s big money might have been a stumbling block to getting that deal done.
For the Seahawks, the choice between Wilson and Harvin is a no-brainer.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep depending on teams like the Seahawks to do the Packers dirty work for them and self destruct; you'll have a long wait. Do you really believe that Schneider and company don't have a plan for down the road?

D

Deleted member 6794

Here we go again with the cap debate and comments. You couldn't be more wrong.

Apparently he was bad in the locker room (enter bad GM player review comments here) but to think his giant salary wasn't a huge reason is just silly. This was in the very first article I read on the trade.

I don't know who wrote this article but saying the Seahawks are cap-strapped is just plain and simple wrong.

With the salary cap expected to raise to $140 million for 2015 Seattle is $34 million under it for next season after the Harvin trade. As of right now they're $9 million under the cap, money they will be able to carry over for next season, resulting in $43 million of available cap space.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who wrote this article but saying the Seahawks are cap-strapped is just plain and simple wrong.

With the salary cap expected to raise to $140 million for 2015 Seattle is $34 million under it for next season after the Harvin trade. As of right now they're $9 million under the cap, money they will be able to carry over for next season, resulting in $43 million of available cap space.

No...they are not wrong and what we are witnessing with this Harvin trade is exactly what we knew was going to happen. Do you realize how much they're going to need to ante up for Wilson?! We'll see more of this over the months leading up to next years draft. They gave a first round pick for this problem player. If this was Ted we'd be calling for his head.

D

Deleted member 6794

No...they are not wrong and what we are witnessing with this Harvin trade is exactly what we knew was going to happen. Do you realize how much they're going to need to ante up for Wilson?! We'll see more of this over the months leading up to next years draft. They gave a first round pick for this problem player. If this was Ted we'd be calling for his head.

I really don't understand why it is that tough to realize when you're wrong. It's a fact the Seahawks as of now will have $43 million in cap space for 2015, that's sufficient money to extend Wilson's contract and sign the free agents they want to.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't understand why it is that tough to realize when you're wrong. It's a fact the Seahawks as of now will have $43 million in cap space for 2015, that's sufficient money to extend Wilson's contract and sign the free agents they want to.

Take a look at their dead money...don't have the exact number or desire to spend time copying and pasting links and spending the next 3 days debating this...but I just read up on this...they're near the top of the nfl now in dead money...and their expected cap rollover is near the bottom of the nfl. I'm not sure how current your information is or where that 43 mil figure comes from but you paint a picture that's not reality.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, many people look at the numbers today and decide. But the situation is always fluid and flexible. The cap goes up, draft picks come in , there are many ways to structure contracts, etc.
The system is set up for the weak to rise and the strong to fall eventually. But the smart ones don't fall far or for long. I believe the Seahawks are with the Packers in the 'smart' column.

D

Deleted member 6794

Take a look at their dead money...don't have the exact number or desire to spend time copying and pasting links and spending the next 3 days debating this...but I just read up on this...they're near the top of the nfl now in dead money.

It's correct they're near the top of the league in dead money.

...and their expected cap rollover is near the bottom of the nfl. I'm not sure how current your information is or where that 43 mil figure comes from but you paint a picture that's not reality.

The information I posted about their cap space is as of today (after trading Harvin), I even posted a link to the numbers!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Well, besides a Wilson deal, they have 24 free agents to re-sign in 2015 and a few wont be cheap

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, besides a Wilson deal, they have 24 free agents to re-sign in 2015 and a few wont be cheap

Only Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright will ask for substantial money though.

It's curious to me that a lot of people here think the Seahawks will be in trouble while having way more cap space than the Packers for next season.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever the reason was for Seattle releasing Harvin, it's still very poor asset management by them. They gave up a first, a third and a seventh only to get back a conditional second to fourth round pick.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score

It's curious to me that a lot of people here think the Seahawks will be in trouble while having way more cap space than the Packers for next season.

I dont think they're in trouble, but Lynch will be stomping his feet again next year. Also Irvin, Wagner and Okung will be looking to get paid starting next years camp........they are far from cap heaven.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, they'll have plenty of options- cuts , restructures, etc.- and I'm sure they've planned in advance.

D

Deleted member 6794

I dont think they're in trouble, but Lynch will be stomping his feet again next year. Also Irvin, Wagner and Okung will be looking to get paid starting next years camp........they are far from cap heaven.

While it's possible Lynch, Okung and Irvin want new deals before next season you have to realize those three already account for $19 million in cap hit towards next year's cap.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's possible Lynch, Okung and Irvin want new deals before next season you have to realize those three already account for $19 million in cap hit towards next year's cap.

Exactly. For example, if say Okung counts $10M against the cap next year, an extension could reduce his cap hit to say $7M. Lots of options, less problems than just a glance at current numbers suggests.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how this has created a rift in the seattle locker room. Harvin has a long and storied rep as being a jerk so it makes you question Lynch, Avril and Irvin for standing by him.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:confused: ..and I told myself I wasn't going to get into this again. :x3: .

You need to scroll between 2014 and 2015

The Seahags have 24 free agents in 2015 (Packers - 17).
The Seahags have another 17 in 2016 (Packers - 13).
The Seahags have 51 players coming due the next two years (Packers - 30)
The Seahags have, without question, their two most valuable players coming due by 2016. (The Pack has theirs wrapped up)
The Seahags dead money $16.5 mil. (Packers $3.5)
The Seahags projected cap space for 2015 $34.9 (Pack $18.8)

Soooo... other than being near the top of the NFL in dead money, most of the team needing to be signed within the next two years (including their two superstars) I think they're in great shape. :cautious: Even if we estimate using your numbers, they're only $27 mil less than the Pack with all of those guys to sign. NOT-GOOD. The dead money doesn't allow them much flexibility to say the least. ...and you want to suggest they have money to play in free agency?:tdown:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most free agents won't be resigned; they'll be replaced mostly in the draft.
Look, you all have good points pro and con, but IMO, they'll handle it just fine.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most free agents won't be resigned; they'll be replaced mostly in the draft.
Look, you all have good points pro and con, but IMO, they'll handle it just fine.

???????? Most of the team are free agents before the end of next year. If they're not signed, how will they "handle it fine". Their entire roster save about 3 guys is due!

Cliff notes: $16 mil in dead money. 51 players due by 2015. All-pro starting QB is due. All-pro running back is due.

They don't have a ton of options here. That's the point. I understand how trimming the fat and restructuring can "help" teams get back in balance with the cap. The Seahags however will need to do much more than simply tweaks and moves like that however.

The dead money is huge for them given their current cap situation and amount of players coming due. The only option will be to not sign several of their top dogs or they'll have to go even further into dead money purgatory by pushing some of their next contracts out further yet again! There starting line-up will in fact have to look much different.

Wilson is projected to get $20 mil plus! He's not going to agree to backload after playing for free for the past few years! Sooooooooo....they're a team that is $16 mil deep in dead money with $20 mil needed to sign ONE PLAYER, their QB before even talking about the other FIFTY PLAYERS that are due.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't have the time now, but I'm gonna go over their roster and cap and give a more detailed answer as to why I think they'll be ok. Again, most free agents are 'no loss' and usually replaced by cheaper, younger options.

Again, NOMOFO, while Wilson may get a contract worth $20M a year, that's not what his cap hit will be next year. If they structure it properly, it could end up under 10M. And with enough upfront and in guarantees that Wilson will be fine with it.

Members online

Latest posts