The Seattle Purge Begins!

D

Deleted member 6794

:confused: ..and I told myself I wasn't going to get into this again. :x3: .

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space
You need to scroll between 2014 and 2015

The Seahags have 24 free agents in 2015 (Packers - 17).
The Seahags have another 17 in 2016 (Packers - 13).
The Seahags have 51 players coming due the next two years (Packers - 30)

Last time I checked 24 plus 17 equals 41. In addition Over The Cap lists only 22 for 2015 with 7 of them being restricted free agents (hence they'll be pretty cheap if the team decides to re-sign them). Another five of their 2016 FA will be restricted and they can pick up the option for Irvin.

The Seahags have, without question, their two most valuable players coming due by 2016. (The Pack has theirs wrapped up)
The Seahags dead money $16.5 mil. (Packers $3.5)
The Seahags projected cap space for 2015 $34.9 (Pack $18.8)

Soooo... other than being near the top of the NFL in dead money, most of the team needing to be signed within the next two years (including their two superstars) I think they're in great shape. :cautious: Even if we estimate using your numbers, they're only $27 mil less than the Pack with all of those guys to sign. NOT-GOOD. The dead money doesn't allow them much flexibility to say the least. ...and you want to suggest they have money to play in free agency?:tdown:

The dead money, while not being smart business, is already included in the available salary cap for the Seahawks. They will extend Wilson's contract after this season and structure it in a favorable way for them. I'm not totally convinced they plan on giving Lynch another contract when his current one expires after 2015.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't have the time now, but I'm gonna go over their roster and cap and give a more detailed answer as to why I think they'll be ok. Again, most free agents are 'no loss' and usually replaced by cheaper, younger options.

Again, NOMOFO, while Wilson may get a contract worth $20M a year, that's not what his cap hit will be next year. If they structure it properly, it could end up under 10M. And with enough upfront and in guarantees that Wilson will be fine with it.

I know. I get it. I really do. ...but you simply can't keep passing the plate down the isle without getting hurt down the road. That's just a fact! Well run teams actually are in a position to pay an up-front bonus. Seattle will be looking to push it down the road. That and free agent signings are how you end up like this! Percey Harvin is how you end up like this. ...and somebody posted an article about Wilson's feelings on this a while back. He basically said that he has no choice but to play for his current pay but he won't be doing any major home-team discount or getting crazy with deferred money.

You don't really need to spend much time on this to understand there's going to be some serious player dumping and contract flushing. This is not a situation where they have crappy over-paid players that they can just dump and get to where they need to be. They have a roster full of starters and quality players that will be looking to get paid current day contract rates! You have to understand. The same player talent wise that signed 2 years ago will be getting paid a he## of a lot less than that same skilled player that signs this year or next. The Seahags have to resign basically their entire roster at the current day market prices! Look up all the contracts and players you want...they're going to have to dump quality players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well run teams actually are in a position to pay an up-front bonus. Seattle will be looking to push it down the road.

The Seahawks won't have any problems paying Wilson a huge signing bonus, Paul Allen has deep pockets. It will be prorated against the cap over five years though as it is a rule of the league's CBA. The Packers backloaded the contracts of Rodgers and Matthews as well.

You don't really need to spend much time on this to understand there's going to be some serious player dumping and contract flushing. This is not a situation where they have crappy over-paid players that they can just dump and get to where they need to be. They have a roster full of starters and quality players that will be looking to get paid current day contract rates! You have to understand. The same player talent wise that signed 2 years ago will be getting paid a he## of a lot less than that same skilled player that signs this year or next. The Seahags have to resign basically their entire roster at the current day market prices! Look up all the contracts and players you want...they're going to have to dump quality players.

Evey team has to dump some quality players because of the salary cap, the Seahawks will no problem holding on to their core players though.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever the reason was for Seattle releasing Harvin, it's still very poor asset management by them. They gave up a first, a third and a seventh only to get back a conditional second to fourth round pick.

This is totally the right way to see this IMO. He helped here and there but nothing like what you'd expect from a first, third and seventh, especially from that GM.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they paid too much guaranteed money to both Sherman and Thomas. It's always more difficult to re-sign guys to team friendly contracts after winning a super bowl. There seems to be a premium you have to pay because everyone wants your guys. Seattle will have to pick and choose who they want to keep.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle isn't going to have to gut their team and lose a lot, but they won't be able to trade or sign guys like Harvin anymore.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time I checked 24 plus 17 equals 41. In addition Over The Cap lists only 22 for 2015 with 7 of them being restricted free agents (hence they'll be pretty cheap if the team decides to re-sign them). Another five of their 2016 FA will be restricted and they can pick up the option for Irvin.

The dead money, while not being smart business, is already included in the available salary cap for the Seahawks. They will extend Wilson's contract after this season and structure it in a favorable way for them. I'm not totally convinced they plan on giving Lynch another contract when his current one expires after 2015.

ya.... I know... but you really don't appear to understand the dynamic here. There are limited funds spent towards the cap. If you pay valuable cap money towards dead money against that cap, you're not buying quality players! You are pizzing money away! Is this really that hard to grasp?

If the cap is $10 and I have $9 dead money, I have $1 to spend on talent. If the cap is $10 and I have $2 dead money, I have $8 to spend on talent. Which team is going to bring in better talent?!!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They made a bad choice trading for him, but in no way are the seahawks in bad shape cap wise. Even after Russell signs they will be fine. I know its nice to wish doom on a team we dont like but its not going to come through the salary cap at this point. You think a guy that learned from TT is going to get into cap hell?

D

Deleted member 6794

ya.... I know... but you really don't appear to understand the dynamic here. There are limited funds spent towards the cap. If you pay valuable cap money towards dead money against that cap, you're not buying quality players! You are pizzing money away! Is this really that hard to grasp?

If the cap is $10 and I have $9 dead money, I have $1 to spend on talent. If the cap is $10 and I have $2 dead money, I have $8 to spend on talent. Which team is going to bring in better talent?!!!!

As I already mentioned having a lot of dead money counting against the cap is not a good way of managing it.

You have to take a closer look at it though. The trade with the Jets results in approximately only $2 million of dead money for this season while saving them nearly $6.5 million in cap space (it would have been smarter for them to trade him before the Jets played on Thursday, which would have saved them another $650K).

While trading Harvin will result in $7.2 million dead money counting against the cap in 2015, the Seahawks will be able to cover nearly all of it with the cap space saved by trading him now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Seattle is in pretty big trouble if you ask me and it has nothing to do with the salary cap. There last three drafts have produced very little and they have a tendency to cut draft picks early before they can develop in "Cheat Carroll's compete now" program he runs. Everyone has given Schneider a pass on his drafts because of a couple really good ones he had but the recent bad ones have caught up.

There secondary is a bunch of fraudsters and benefited from a dominant D-line which they no longer have. There last in the league in "pressure on QB" because there "40 million dollar D-line" they had last year is gone. There secondary is slow and our secondary is more talented and better then the Seahawks.

This team still has some good football players but there back half of the roster is not good. There constantly bringing in other teams cast offs and talking trades before the deadline to fill holes. I said before the season we had a better 53 man roster then these guys and people laughed at me. I think it's clearly obvious we do now.

As far as Harvin they were going to be able to sign Wilson even if they kept Harvin. It obviously looks like a terrible trade now for Schneider but Harvin was traded because Wilson didn't like him or his attitude or his work ethic which I think is ridiculous. Next year Lynch will retire as he almost did this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded before the deadline if they lose to Carolina on Sunday.

All of this above is why Packer fans should be so grateful we have TT as we would be freaking out if we were in the Seahawks situation right now which isn't good.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Seahawks dead money for this year is $16.5 million. But for 2015 it is only $7.5. Most of that is from Harvin.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-salary-cap-implications-of-the-Percy-Harvin-trade.html

Seattle’s salary cap charge for Harvin this year drops from $13.4 million to $6,929,412 ($4,529,412 in base salary and $2.4 million in signing bonus proration) since they are no longer responsible for Harvin’s fully guaranteed $11 million salary for the remaining 10 weeks of the regular season.

Seattle’s current cap room rises from $2.06 million to approximately $8 million (assumes a player making close to his minimum salary replaces Harvin on the roster). The Seahawks will have a $7.2 million cap charge (or dead money) next year for Harvin from the 2015, 2016 and 2017 proration of his signing bonus.

The net effect is an increase of $5.7 million in 2015 cap room, as Harvin’s 2015 cap number was $12.9 million.

The Seahawks have $105.2 million in 2015 cap commitments with 40 players under contract after factoring in Harvin’s dead money. The team could have in excess of $40 million in cap space when the 2015 league year starts next March.

Expect some portion of Seattle’s cap room to be used on a blockbuster contract extension for Russell Wilson, which could make him the NFL’s highest paid player. The extra cap room from the Harvin trade might also make it easier for the Seahawks to keep Marshawn Lynch in the final year of his contract at his $8.5 million cap number.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know how much trouble Seattle is in talent-wise or cap-wise going forward but how many fans of teams that haven't sniffed the Super Bowl in years or decades would sell their souls short-term cap and talent future for a title?
As far as Harvin they were going to be able to sign Wilson even if they kept Harvin. It obviously looks like a terrible trade now for Schneider but Harvin was traded because Wilson didn't like him or his attitude or his work ethic which I think is ridiculous.
I read that Harvin got in fight with a teammate the day before the Super Bowl and was causing problems in the locker room this season, too. Cutting out a "cancer", even a very talented one, is a good idea IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how much trouble Seattle is talent-wise or cap-wise going forward but how many fans of teams that haven't sniffed the Super Bowl in years or decades would sell their souls short-term cap and talent future for a title? I read that Harvin got in fight with a teammate the day before the Super Bowl and was causing problems in the locker room this season, too. Cutting out a "cancer", even a very talented one, is a good idea IMO.

People often make too much of locker room discord but the reports out of Seattle this week are that it's very bad. Sounds like Lynch is a complete tool as well. He doesn't think Russell Wilson is "black enough". I wish them the best.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't know how much trouble Seattle is in talent-wise or cap-wise going forward but how many fans of teams that haven't sniffed the Super Bowl in years or decades would sell their souls short-term cap and talent future for a title? I read that Harvin got in fight with a teammate the day before the Super Bowl and was causing problems in the locker room this season, too. Cutting out a "cancer", even a very talented one, is a good idea IMO.

Seriously? The Seahawks have several players that cause distractions all over there roster. Sherman for example is constantly talking and being a distraction. That's how these guys roll. Bottom line is all this would never happen in Green Bay as TT never would of brought a guy like Harvin in to begin with and the Seahawks new this stuff about Harvin going into it. Plus the Seahawks paid a "kings ransom" for Harvin and basically got nothing but a late round draft pick with rolling "dead money". Like I shared if TT did that people would be freaking out.

Yes, the Seahawks did sell there souls and now they get to go to purgatory. I suppose when your a perennial loser that's what you have to do to get a Championship. Many on here know I am not fond of the Seahawks but what I find interesting is that they actually could of set themselves up to continue to dominate. There has been major mistakes by Schnieder that IMO ceased there dominance. The biggest being his drafting the last three years and if you look at his contracts he has done they don't look all that great.

This Schnieder guy ain't no TT.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than Harvin, I wouldn't say Schneider has made big mistakes, but it's going to hard for him to keep finding later round studs like Wilson and Sherman.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? The Seahawks have several players that cause distractions all over there roster. Sherman for example is constantly talking and being a distraction. That's how these guys roll. Bottom line is all this would never happen in Green Bay as TT never would of brought a guy like Harvin in to begin with and the Seahawks new this stuff about Harvin going into it. Plus the Seahawks paid a "kings ransom" for Harvin and basically got nothing but a late round draft pick with rolling "dead money". Like I shared if TT did that people would be freaking out.

Yes, the Seahawks did sell there souls and now they get to go to purgatory. I suppose when your a perennial loser that's what you have to do to get a Championship. Many on here know I am not fond of the Seahawks but what I find interesting is that they actually could of set themselves up to continue to dominate. There has been major mistakes by Schnieder that IMO ceased there dominance. The biggest being his drafting the last three years and if you look at his contracts he has done they don't look all that great.

This Schnieder guy ain't no TT.

I don't think there can be any disputing that a guy like Harvin can destroy a locker room. Simply dumping him doesn't make everything better. He opened up a can of dysfunction that's now spilled over to several players and that cat is hard to put back in the bag. I find it amazing that any team would pick him up. Why do these GMs think these guys will somehow change when they get them?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think there can be any disputing that a guy like Harvin can destroy a locker room. Simply dumping him doesn't make everything better. He opened up a can of dysfunction that's now spilled over to several players and that cat is hard to put back in the bag. I find it amazing that any team would pick him up. Why do these GMs think these guys will somehow change when they get them?

Cause there desperate like the Jets.
Other than Harvin, I wouldn't say Schneider has made big mistakes, but it's going to hard for him to keep finding later round studs like Wilson and Sherman.

I disagree. He paid the wrong guys. Should of kept his D-line intact or at least replaced it with higher draft picks or free agent moves that he could of made if he didn't "drop the ***" on Sherman and make Sherman play out his rookie deal. He could of franchised Sherman if he had too if he killed it this year. Need that D-line more then you need Sherman IMO with the way they play defense in that attacking 4-3.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Seahawks are married with no pre-nup to Richard Sherman and I think it's wonderful.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I disagree. He paid the wrong guys. Should of kept his D-line intact or at least replaced it with higher draft picks or free agent moves that he could of made if he didn't "drop the ***" on Sherman and make Sherman play out his rookie deal. He could of franchised Sherman if he had too if he killed it this year. Need that D-line more then you need Sherman IMO with the way they play defense in that attacking 4-3.

I'm going to watch this one closely because I agree with you. I for the life of me don't see how people think they're just fine regarding cap space. I don't get that. It's basic math. They have lots of money to spend under the cap but have so much dead money that they can't sign with bonuses like Ted did with Rodgers. So they don't have ANY ability to do that. That's one point. Then, we have to consider the amount of guys it is they need to sign! Basically their entire roster! How is that NOT a problem?! There is just no way on earth Seattle will be able to keep all these guys at current market rates. There's not enough money. It's simple math.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sherman's new contract doesn't kick in until next season. He is currently playing on the last year of his rookie deal.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sherman's new contract doesn't kick in until next season. He is currently playing on the last year of his rookie deal.

He has a 3.7 million cap hit this season which is higher then his rookie deal. We can get our pens out and "salary cap" it to death.

The point is here if your the Seahawks and Schneider what made that team win a Super Bowl? My opinion is it was there dominant rotation on the D-line along with there fast linebackers "Bobby Wagner" . Not this group of "fraudsters" that call themselves the "Legion of Boom" who I now call the "Legion of Slow" cause tall big corners don't look all that great with no "pass rush".

Scheider instead trades picks away for Harvin and pays him like 20 mill last year and drafts some "high school body" receiver in the 2nd round trying to build this "juggernaut offense" while key D-lineman walk. Why mess with the recipe if the batch comes out good? He failed to replace what left whether he replaced it via free agency or draft it doesn't matter.

Bottom line. Schnieder didn't get it done as the Hawks could still be dominant.

Members online