The REAL issue: Superbowl party menu...

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our annual SB tradition is to feature food at our party that represents the two cities vying for the title in the big game.

Part of this is the research, finding out from people who live or are familiar with the tailgating and gameday traditions of the respective cities the kinds of foods and flavours that say "Baltimore" and "San Francisco."

I usually get some good ideas from ESPN fan forums for each team, and the Ravens fans have definitely stepped up with great menu suggestions for their town.

On the other hand, the San Fran fans have let me down so far- no concrete suggestions or ideas yet. So I'm hoping there may be come fans posting here that can give me some insight into 49er tailgating traditions/feature dishes.

Your help is most appreciated- this is my favourite topic to post about all year, bar none. Hit me back people!

BTW, what will YOU be dishing up for Superbowl eats?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, I hope to get a fine set of ribs going in my smoker and some corn bread in the cast iron pan. That's my plan

As for San Francisco, you could go with some seafood options such as clam chowder or dungeness crab. Certainly you could have a few Napa wines on the table. Maybe some Rice-A-Roni for some humor....it is the San Francisco treat.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
To be completely honest, I actually don't have much interest in this superbowl match-up so I may not even be watching. I'll probably have to work anyway. I've said it earlier in the season, I'd really like to see Randy Moss get a ring so I hope the Niners take it. But the match-up of these teams, I don't think it'll be all that exciting.

These two team matched up last year and it was pretty boring for what kind of football I like watching. But the team are different now. Kaepernick is playing well, but he hasn't exactly been playing great defenses. I think this one shapes up to be a punt and FG fest.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

Because I like him and I think he deserves it. Especially given his maturation over his career.

I don't hold grudges on players for things they did in a game situation 12 years ago. At least not something that insignificant.

M

mayo44

Because I like him and I think he deserves it. Especially given his maturation over his career.

I don't hold grudges on players for things they did in a game situation 12 years ago. At least not something that insignificant.

He's still a *****. He's just learned to keep his fool mouth shut a little more.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
SF eats: Crab Louie salads, sour dough breads, sushi, seaweed salads, martini's, wine......sorry, not my cup of tea, they can keep that junk.

Me: Homemade burgers, beer boiled Brats, Slow cooked ribs, BBQ chicken, Baked beans, homemade mac-n-cheese, cheese&sausage on crackers, Hot wings, Polish style link sausage, Beer......

M

mayo44

off topic but: He can't open his yapper due to the fact that he is a shadow of his former self and he knows it.

You sure he's that smart? That said, I'd MUCH rather see Ray Lewis go out with another SB win than Randy freaking Moss. That, and I've always despised the 49ers anyway. They come right after the Bears, Vikings and Cowboys.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
You sure he's that smart? That said, I'd MUCH rather see Ray Lewis go out with another SB win than Randy freaking Moss. That, and I've always despised the 49ers anyway. They come right after the Bears, Vikings and Cowboys.

Give me a break, Ray Lewis is the biggest drama queen attention ***** the league has ever seen and he's highly disingenuous. His schtick is old and tired. I'm glad he's retiring, I can't stand him.

M

mayo44

Give me a break, Ray Lewis is the biggest drama queen attention ***** the league has ever seen and he's highly disingenuous. His schtick is old and tired. I'm glad he's retiring, I can't stand him.

Ditto for Moss, and then some. I just can't root for a guy who is a half-hearted player who never came close to his potential because of sheer laziness. At least you CANNOT say that about Ray Lewis.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Ditto for Moss, and then some. [?QUOTE]

This is a common misconception. Terrell Owens more closely resembles your view/

I just can't root for a guy who is a half-hearted player who never came close to his potential because of sheer laziness

How did Moss never come close to his potential? He's a first ballot hall of famer, he had the best rookie receiving year ever, he had the best receiving year period ever and he's arguably the best receiver ever.

At least you CANNOT say that about Ray Lewis.

At least Moss isn't a murderer.

H

HardRightEdge

I think he knows teams put up with his junk in the past because he was an elite player, but not so much now that he's a third banana. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. It's the obvious reality that when you get to the point of serial short term contracts/journeyman/bubble status you'd best keep your knuckleheaded behavior to a minimum if you want a chance at keeping the paychecks flowing.

Did Finley suddenly find maturity at mid-season as he went silent? Or do you think it had something to do with the strongly worded press piece suggesting he'd be gone after this season, leaving $8 mil on the table? He claimed he had not read it, but was very quite thereafter, and played some pretty good ball to boot. $$$ are extremely strong motivators for these guys when they consider their alternative employment options.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Shifting from Lewis/Moss, because those seem to cancel, I'd like to see J.Smith get a ring. Ngata kinda cancels that. Like Rogers, like T.Smith. I like Willis, but also like Rice. Don't like Sizzle, but do like Yanda. Like Fangio, don't like Jimbaugh. Like Davis, so SF.

Oh as to the original post, Rice-a-Roni and crab cakes.
Pretty much.

M

mayo44

How did Moss never come close to his potential? He's a first ballot hall of famer, he had the best rookie receiving year ever, he had the best receiving year period ever and he's arguably the best receiver ever.

Are you kidding me? They guy ALWAYS ran lazy routes unless he knew he was the primary target on the play. It took literally years for him to figure out that blocking downfield is actually beneficial to the team, and even then he gave nothing more than a half-assed effort. And here's a short list of guys who are higher up the chain on the "best receiver ever" discussion:

Jerry Rice
Marvin Harrison
Art Monk (despite playing on a team that never had a decent QB and ran about 60% of the time)
Michael Irvin
and if Sterling Sharpe hadn't had a short career, you could probably put him there too.

The point is that he could have been the greatest, if he had worked for it, but to him, "pretty good" was enough.

I would also bet just about anything that he will NOT be a first ballot hall of famer. First ballot is reserved for the guys who were the whole package. Great talent, hard worker, team leader, solid character, great ambassador for the game. These are the qualities that get guys in the HOF on first ballot. Moss only has one of those qualities. Breaking a couple of records isn't enough. They look at a lot more than the stat sheet.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayo44 - you're a bit harsh on Moss. I despise the guy for many reasons, including intentionally running over a Mpls cop with his car. However, you're discounting his receiving career. I fully agree that he half-arsed it, rarely blocked, didn't run good routes...but he still was a phenomenal receiver despite all of that. His talent was much above the other players you listed. They (especially Rice) just worked so much harder to be better at their positions.

That also brings up an important distinction, that between a receiver and the position of wide receiver. Moss was the best pass catcher IMO, but just an above average wide receiver because of his lack of blocking, lazy routes, etc. I classify him in a similar manner and distinction to Barry Sanders, who was probably the best runner that I've seen but not as good of a complete running back as others.

Make no mistake, Moss was an incredible talent and used it to break a lot of records. He could have been even better than he was, but poor attitude and work ethics held him back. He still was elite though.

M

mayo44

I fully agree that he half-arsed it, rarely blocked, didn't run good routes...but he still was a phenomenal receiver despite all of that. His talent was much above the other players you listed. They (especially Rice) just worked so much harder to be better at their positions.

<snip>

He still was elite though.

I'm sorry but I'd have to say you're contradicting yourself here, whether you intended to or not. Elite WRs actually do the things that you admitted he didn't do in your first sentence. I never denied his talent. I simply said he failed to make the most of it. When you combine that with the undeniable fact that he would literally quit on his team if they got down by a couple of scores (sometimes even hitting the locker room before the game was over) then there's no way he deserves the "elite" tag. Can you imagine what Rice or Harrison would have done if they had his natural size and ability? The 49ers probably would probably have 2 or 3 more Lombardis in their trophy case. No joke.

Two years ago, he finished a dismal season with the Titans. We know from his Oakland days that he doesn't want (or perhaps, more appropriately, can't handle) the pressure of helping to carry a team to greatness. So when no contending teams were interested in him he retired at the age of 33.

Now what does he do 2 years later? He has his agent call the 49ers, which he recognized as a team on the verge and he unretires to play a minimal role for them. Why? Because he knows there's no pressure on him to perform and he doesn't really have to do jack crap except keep his fool mouth shut and he'll have a good shot at finally getting that hunk of bling he's been wanting without having to WORK for it. He's in San Francisco so that he can come along for the ride, and I don't see how anyone can root for a guy like that. In fact, that would be a great name for his biography, "Randy Moss: Along for the Ride"

Southpaw, you said you liked the guy. Why? What likable qualities does he possess?

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
SF eats: Crab Louie salads, sour dough breads, sushi, seaweed salads, martini's, wine......sorry, not my cup of tea, they can keep that junk.

Me: Homemade burgers, beer boiled Brats, Slow cooked ribs, BBQ chicken, Baked beans, homemade mac-n-cheese, cheese&sausage on crackers, Hot wings, Polish style link sausage, Beer......

FEAST!

Members online

Latest posts