The path for Aaron Rodgers to become the GOAT

D

Deleted member 6794

Been on vacation and just saw this thread, so not sure if it has been mentioned. But one or two of Rodgers' future SB wins MUST come against Brady.

I don't believe that it matters which team the Packers defeat in the Super Bowl for Rodgers to be considered the GOAT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tom Brady probably gets more credit than he deserves when the Patriots win a SB. A lot of the Patriots success should be credited to Belichick IMO. No doubt TB is a really good QB, but not sure he would have the same results in GB. Whereas if the Packers somehow had won a SB in 2014 and/or 2016, I think AR would deservedly get a lot of the credit. So maybe AR won't have to win as many as TB to be considered the GOAT, but he will need to win more than just one for sure.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Tom Brady probably gets more credit than he deserves when the Patriots win a SB. A lot of the Patriots success should be credited to Belichick IMO. No doubt TB is a really good QB, but not sure he would have the same results in GB. Whereas if the Packers somehow had won a SB in 2014 and/or 2016, I think AR would deservedly get a lot of the credit. So maybe AR won't have to win as many as TB to be considered the GOAT, but he will need to win more than just one for sure.
I'd be hard pressed to find a time where the Packers had more weapons offensively in Rodgers' tenure. Jordy will be another year removed from the surgery, Adams is constantly improving and I think will emerge big time this season, Cobb will be Cobb, just hope he can stay healthy. You've got the two headed monster of Kendricks and Bennett at TE. That will really open up some huge play action down the field throws and will also allow the offense to cash in more often in the redzone. Monty with a full offseason getting comfortable in the backfield.

Not to mention Rodgers is finally out of the funk that he found himself in from part of 2015 through portions of the early part of 2016.

Barring injury, this offense is going to put up insane numbers. Rodgers will probably break 50 TD passes for the first time in his career, that's going to be my bold prediction.

Now, to get to and ultimately win the super bowl, one of two things need to happen. Either we see a vastly improved defense to, lets say at least a top 10-12 unit, or we need to get some good draws in the postseason (no Atlanta's).

I want to see the Packers come out of the gates firing on all cylinders this year enroute to hopefully locking down a top 1 or 2 seed. It's time to play an NFCCG at Lambeau to where, even if you do come across an Atlanta, they won't be putting up 44 in frigid conditions. We already know Rodgers can handle the elements.

If we can do that and snag ring #2, Rodgers will have 6 seasons before he turns 40 to get #3, potentially #4.

There's time, but it has to start now. I'd like to see a passing of the torch next February from Brady to Rodgers. :sneaky:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agree PackAttack

I think most of the NFL and especially us Packer fans know that the Packers offense is....should be Super Bowl caliber again this year. I think they were last year, once they found a groove. But as you point out, its all going to probably come down to how the defense performs. Barring Rodgers going down with an injury, the Packers should be able to score a lot of points. However, there will be games when they face top defenses, have injuries, have an off day, have a few too many turnovers and that point total will be lower. Those are the games when the defense has to step up and keep the offense from having to be in a track meet to win the game. We saw that in the NFCCG last year and the results were mortifying.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe that it matters which team the Packers defeat in the Super Bowl for Rodgers to be considered the GOAT.

Well let's say Rodgers finishes with 3 SB wins, and Brady finishes with 5. If Rodgers wins never came against the Patriots, then I don't think anyone outside Green Bay will be saying Rodgers is the GOAT. But if Rodgers gets 2 SB wins against Brady, then everyone will say "Brady has more SB wins, but he could never beat Rodgers in the SB".

Kinda like how a couple years ago, Federer had 17 Grand Slams and Nadal had 14, but people were able to say "Yeah Federer has more Grand Slams than Nadal, but Federer's head-to-head record against Nadal stinks!"

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well let's say Rodgers finishes with 3 SB wins, and Brady finishes with 5. If Rodgers wins never came against the Patriots, then I don't think anyone outside Green Bay will be saying Rodgers is the GOAT. But if Rodgers gets 2 SB wins against Brady, then everyone will say "Brady has more SB wins, but he could never beat Rodgers in the SB".

Kinda like how a couple years ago, Federer had 17 Grand Slams and Nadal had 14, but people were able to say "Yeah Federer has more Grand Slams than Nadal, but Federer's head-to-head record against Nadal stinks!"
I agree that it would be highly beneficial for Rodgers to have a super bowl victory over Brady.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers will be playing a Brady led Patriots team in the Super Bowl. That shouldabeen 2014. We choked and never got the chance. I think we'll be back to a Super Bowl before NE is again. Saw more than a few very unBrady like passes towards the end of the year. I think they got away with it for a short while. I don't think they'll get away with it for a season.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be hard pressed to find a time where the Packers had more weapons offensively in Rodgers' tenure.
I'm excited about the offense. There are questions about RB and the offensive line, but I think one of the young backs will step up, and I think the OL will be okay.

Regarding Atlanta, some people expect them to take a big step back this year. Teams that lose the Super Bowl often follow it up with an off year. I don't really expect it, because they have some talent there, but it wouldn't break my heart any.

Those are the games when the defense has to step up and keep the offense from having to be in a track meet to win the game. We saw that in the NFCCG last year and the results were mortifying.
The playoff game with Dallas last year was kind of a track meet, too, with Dallas getting a slow start. Except we managed to pull that one out for a change.

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt TB is a really good QB, but not sure he would have the same results in GB.

I'm absolutely convinced that Brady wouldn't have had the same success in Green Bay with the team not featuring a top defense nearly every single season.

Now, to get to and ultimately win the super bowl, one of two things need to happen. Either we see a vastly improved defense to, lets say at least a top 10-12 unit, or we need to get some good draws in the postseason (no Atlanta's).

Absolutely agreed that the Packers chances of winning a Super Bowl hinges on the defense significantly improving this season. Undortunately it seems the unit could struggle once again and it's probable the team will have to face at least one elite offense in the playoffs on their way to a championship.

Rodgers has won the only game he has played in against Brady and Belichick though.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brady played for the Packers, the Packers certainly would have won the SB in 2014. Brady shredded that Seattle defense, whereas Rodgers struggled big time against Seattle.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course Rodgers was on 2 good legs then as well, or was he very limited in his mobility? He had 1 bad pass to Cobb and other than that I don't remember anything too terrible. that INT in the endzone should have been a free play and the refs didn't flag it. The pats threw it all over, that's true. We had a slightly different plan with more ball control. Our shortcomings were in scoring TD's instead of FG's. Like the play to Jordy at the goal line and Rodgers put that pass where he did a hundred times before, but Jordy stumbled just a tad coming out of his break and the ball tipped off his fingertips instead of being caught for a TD. Things like that kept that game from being a blowout. It wasn't a perfect day by those guys, and it certainly isn't indicative of their level of play either.

But looking at stats, of course one will forget the actual circumstances behind them and arrive at a different conclusion.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Manning at #2 sure takes the shine off of multiple SB wins as a necessity.

Well, Manning has won multiple Super Bowls though.

If Brady played for the Packers, the Packers certainly would have won the SB in 2014. Brady shredded that Seattle defense, whereas Rodgers struggled big time against Seattle.

You have to realize that Brady mostly picked on Tharold Simon (who didn't play a single snap against the Packers) during the 2014 Super Bowl who entered that game after Jeremy Lane broke his arm returning an interception in the first quarter. In addition the Seahawks secondary wasn't at full strength by any means that night as Sherman battled an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery that offseason and Thomas had a dislocated his shoulder (both suffered against the Packers).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Manning has won multiple Super Bowls though.

Sorry, I should have used more emoticons. I don't consider Manning to have won SB 50 - he played in it, but... ;)

Seriously, in terms of the GOAT, I'd have to question whether that game would change anyone's perception of Peyton.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry, I should have used more emoticons. I don't consider Manning to have won SB 50 - he played in it, but... ;)

Seriously, in terms of the GOAT, I'd have to question whether that game would change anyone's perception of Peyton.

I agree that Manning winning Super Bowl 50 shouldn't change the perception he's viewed around the league as the Broncos won that championship solely based on their defensive performance that season.

I wouldn't mind Rodgers adding another ring that way in Super Bowl LX though. ;)

scotto_25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, we are witnessing the greatest ERA in NFL history.....THE PASSING ERA. We have the opportunity to watch some good ones sling it around

Rodgers
Brees
Manning (a few years ago)
Brady

This is just to name a few...

Rodgers wins one before he goes out he'll be right there in the conversation.

Reaction score
So my question is simple, what does Rodgers have to do to put himself in serious conversation/consideration for greatest quarterback of all time?

Keep playing the way he has without injury's would help a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts