The path for Aaron Rodgers to become the GOAT

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There are many ways of attempting to determine what constitutes being the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL. Some could look at Dan Marino and say that he had the greatest arm talent the game has ever seen, put up huge numbers in an era where you didn't see that type of QB production, but unfortunately never had a defense to help him win SB's.

Some could look at Peyton Manning and say that no one ever controlled the line of scrimmage better than he did, and he also played in 4 super bowls with 4 different head coaches (Dungy, Caldwell, Fox, Kubiak). Highly impressive.

Many look at Joe Montana and say that no one ever performed like he did on the biggest stage, 4 super bowls in 4 tries, with 3 MVP's, and never threw an interception in a SB. That's as Jordan-esque as it gets.

Then many over the past few years have looked at Tom Brady. As a complete body of work, how could you not? 5 victories in 7 tries, and the past 2 super bowls he had to come back from double digit deficits to close the deal and was phenomenal in those "back against the wall" situations.

So there's certainly different criteria to consider, but IMO, we can't go simply off of SB's because anyone with half a brain can tell you that Marino was a better quarterback than Aikman, but Aikman has 3 titles to zero for Marino.

Aaron Rodgers is better than Roethlisberger and little Manning, but they both have 2 titles to his 1.

So my question is simple, what does Rodgers have to do to put himself in serious conversation/consideration for greatest quarterback of all time?

Let's consider his current resume. Eight playoff appearances, three NFC Championship games appeared in, has a TD to INT ratio of 3.6 to 1. He's already 5th all time in playoff TD's, has better overall playoff numbers for his career than Tom Brady, cool Joe, and many of the other all time greats.

In my opinion, I think he has to find a way to snag at least 2 more super bowls before he hangs it up. He's definitely got a ton of work to do to get there, but fortunately for Rodgers, he already has 1, with a SB MVP to go with it, and didn't throw a pick in that SB. If he can get to three rings, with three MVP's, and perhaps find a way to not throw a pick in all three games, I think that certainly puts him in the conversation.

Unfortunately, as great as I feel that he is, he will never get the type of recognition and adulation he deserves without more hardware, even though I feel as if he's done all that he can do without more help from his defense to get it done.

I would say Rodgers has bare minimum 4 MVP level seasons left, with his current mobility that makes him so outstanding. Perhaps up to 7 depending on how he ages.

So what's got to happen for him to get there?

*Yes. I know that some will roll their eyes at this thread and say that we've had these discussions many times in the past, but I feel this has a different overall premise behind it. Also, it's July and I'm losing my mind waiting for some football. :)

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a new general manager that actually wants to win NFL championships instead of division crowns being considered a good season.

Ya, I said it. :cool:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers could continue to play just as he has until he is into his 40's and retires, but unless the Packers can field a complete team around him and win a few SB's, he won't go down as the GOAT. Instead, he will be remembered much like Dan Marino, a great QB that played for a franchise that couldn't put all the pieces together around him to win Super Bowls.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's already in serious contention. His career could be over today and he would still be brought up in the conversations for the greatest of all time .

People will remember him exactly how they want to remember him. There will never be a concensous GOAT. Even with Tom Brady and all of his rings you will still have a large number of people who feel it was his coach, his team around him, his kicker ,deflate gate, spy gate, and dumb luck they gave him all those rings. I am not one of them but I don't have to look too far to see a whole bunch of them that think that way .

So Rodgers could win five more or zero more in there will still be those that think Brady is better Unitas was better star was better Favre was better Montana was better etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think he's already in serious contention. His career could be over today and he would still be brought up in the conversations for the greatest of all time .

People will remember him exactly how they want to remember him. There will never be a concensous GOAT. Even with Tom Brady and all of his rings you will still have a large number of people who feel it was his coach, his team around him, his kicker ,deflate gate, spy gate, and dumb luck they gave him all those rings. I am not one of them but I don't have to look too far to see a whole bunch of them that think that way .

So Rodgers could win five more or zero more in there will still be those that think Brady is better Unitas was better star was better Favre was better Montana was better etc.

I agree, there will never be a "consensus" GOAT but I think for Rodgers to ever consistently be in the conversation (by non-Packer fans), he will have to add a few more SB's rings to his resume and few more MVP's won't hurt either. The general fan remembers winners. While Rodgers is definitely a winner, he only has one SB ring.

Drew Brees has had an outstanding career in New Orleans, but he too has been overshadowed by not enough talent around him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Rodgers has to win at least another two Super Bowls to be considered in the discussion for GOAT.

There will never be a concensous GOAT. Even with Tom Brady and all of his rings you will still have a large number of people who feel it was his coach, his team around him, his kicker ,deflate gate, spy gate, and dumb luck they gave him all those rings. I am not one of them but I don't have to look too far to see a whole bunch of them that think that way .

I vividly remember some of your posts mentioning the Patriots having lucked into at least some of their championships.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers has to win at least another two Super Bowls to be considered in the discussion for GOAT.

I vividly remember some of your posts mentioning the Patriots having lucked into at least some of their championships.

What the Patriots have done is no doubt impressive, there is some luck to winning two Super Bowls largely due to the other team not running the football. Throwing the ball directly at an Atlanta defender only for it to be tipped and caught miraculously counts as some luck too. Having their best competition in the conference lose their starting QB is lucky also.

The whole last part of the Atlanta game could be played 100 more times and the Patriots would likely lose all of them.

Not to take anything away from the Patriots though. Luck often happens on the way to Super Bowl wins. The Ravens for example had a miracle last minute heave to force OT vs the Broncos. The Packers had Desmond Bishop somehow shoestring tackle Desean Jackson in the open field vs. Eagles, which could have ended their Super Bowl run very early.

A lucky play here and there can be found more many Super Bowl champions that could change the outcome of a game.

D

Deleted member 6794

What the Patriots have done is no doubt impressive, there is some luck to winning two Super Bowls largely due to the other team not running the football. Throwing the ball directly at an Atlanta defender only for it to be tipped and caught miraculously counts as some luck too. Having their best competition in the conference lose their starting QB is lucky also.

The whole last part of the Atlanta game could be played 100 more times and the Patriots would likely lose all of them.

Not to take anything away from the Patriots though. Luck often happens on the way to Super Bowl wins. The Ravens for example had a miracle last minute heave to force OT vs the Broncos. The Packers had Desmond Bishop somehow shoestring tackle Desean Jackson in the open field vs. Eagles, which could have ended their Super Bowl run very early.

A lucky play here and there can be found more many Super Bowl champions that could change the outcome of a game.

I agree that every team that has won a Super Bowl benefitted from some luck along the way but in my mind fans whining about it makes them look like sore losers.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 more rings in the next 5 years you could talk about it without sounding like a TOTAL idiot, but it would still be obvious that you're an oblivious homer Packer fan. At this point it's probably impossible for him to catch Brady or Montana.... Right now he's Marino with a ring, and it's doubtful he becomes much more

D

Deleted member 6794

2 more rings in the next 5 years you could talk about it without sounding like a TOTAL idiot, but it would still be obvious that you're an oblivious homer Packer fan.

If Rodgers finishes his career with three Super Bowls rings he should definitely be in consideration for GOAT.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, two more Super Bowl wins, and holding on to his all time career best passer rating would put him in the conversation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree, two more Super Bowl wins, and holding on to his all time career best passer rating would put him in the conversation.

While Rodgers leading the league in career passer rating by 4.5 points over the second placed quarterback in Russell Wilson is definitely impressive I believe that having a TD-INT ratio of 4.12 with Brady being second at 3.00 is even more amazing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Rodgers leading the league in career passer rating by 4.5 points over the second placed quarterback in Russell Wilson is definitely impressive I believe that having a TD-INT ratio of 4.12 with Brady being second at 3.00 is even more amazing.
Yeah, that too. I figure that's part of the passer rating, why it's so high. I just don't understand how Russel Wilson is in second place?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, that too. I figure that's part of the passer rating, why it's so high. I just don't understand how Russel Wilson is in second place?

Wilson has been pretty good against all other teams having thrown 62 touchdown passes and only 19 interceptions in 36 games dating back to the 2014 NFCCG. The Packers have had his numbers for some reason though, forcing 10 interceptions while allowing only four TDs over the last three games against him and the Seahawks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wilson has been pretty good against all other teams having thrown 62 touchdown passes and only 19 interceptions in 36 games dating back to the 2014 NFCCG. The Packers have had his numbers for some reason though, forcing 10 interceptions while allowing only four TDs over the last three games against him and the Seahawks.

Wilson isn't asked to do what Rodgers is asked to do either. Wilson is at his best throwing ball 20-25 times. Seattle is a run first team that relies on playing very good defense. I don't consider him as a very good "high volume passer" as he has some limitations that catch up with him when trying to throw the ball 30+ times.

The Packers have Wilson figured out. They use a "controlled pass rush" keeping Wilson in pocket and force him to throw ball downfield. Once again Wilson has limitations.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think time will just have to pass, the idiotic Bandwagon Patriots fans will have to die off, and it should be simple after that. Just look at his individual stats, some of his tape, and it's clear that he's better than the others by a pretty ample margin.

DCPack80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with the 2-3 more rings, at least 2 more MVPs, no drop off in stats either.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody in my life has made plays as amazing at the qb position as Rodgers. If he had Belicheck on the sidelines or had a great defense there would be no debate. AR would be running out of fingers to put his rings on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wilson isn't asked to do what Rodgers is asked to do either. Wilson is at his best throwing ball 20-25 times. Seattle is a run first team that relies on playing very good defense. I don't consider him as a very good "high volume passer" as he has some limitations that catch up with him when trying to throw the ball 30+ times.

The Packers have Wilson figured out. They use a "controlled pass rush" keeping Wilson in pocket and force him to throw ball downfield. Once again Wilson has limitations.

I'm not arguing that Wilson is on the same level as Rodgers by any means but there's no doubt he has been extremely efficient over his career, even when throwing at least 30 passes in a game (59 TD, 20 INT in 37 contests).

D

Deleted member 6794

Just look at his individual stats, some of his tape, and it's clear that he's better than the others by a pretty ample margin.

Individual stats only take a player that far when talking about the GOAT though. There's no doubt Rodgers has been the most efficient quarterback in NFL history by a wide margin but as long as he doesn't at least pass Roethlisberger or Eli Manning in championships he won't be included in the discussion, maybe even rightfully so.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Individual stats only take a player that far when talking about the GOAT though. There's no doubt Rodgers has been the most efficient quarterback in NFL history by a wide margin but as long as he doesn't at least pass Roethlisberger or Eli Manning in championships he won't be included in the discussion, maybe even rightfully so.

That's exactly right. Thats why they need to bring in Dorsey and go on a nice 4-5 year run and cement it.

Members online

Latest posts