The path for Aaron Rodgers to become the GOAT

D

Deleted member 6794

They could also very easily be 2-5 if Pete Carroll gives the football to Lynch at the goal line, if Atlanta doesn't choke up a 25 point lead, and if Vinatieri misses one of those kicks in the first three super bowls.

They have had some misfortune, but they have also had TONS of fortune.

The only thing that matters is that the Patriots have actually won five championships since 2001 though.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that matters is that the Patriots have actually won five championships since 2001 though.

The fact they went and got key additions, even after winning the SB, tells me that they are hungry to win as many as possible. Belichick kept saying: " No days off" at ...the parade.

Packers may want to win as many SB's as possible. However " Wanting" and " Doing" are two different things.

D

Deleted member 6794

The fact they went and got key additions, even after winning the SB, tells me that they are hungry to win as many as possible. Belichick kept saying: " No days off" at ...the parade.

Packers may want to win as many SB's as possible. However " Wanting" and " Doing" are two different things.

There's no doubt that Belichick and the Patriots have used a significantly different and more successful approach than Thompson and the Packers.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No doubt. I was simply playing devil's advocate with the poster that suggested the Patriots could very easily be 7-0.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To your second last paragraph, I am blaming the GM. Goes without saying he's responsible. I blame Murphy for allowing it to go on too.
Unfortunately some consider it blasphemy and bad table manners to criticize Thompson.

I wholeheartly agree that Thompson is the one to blame. It seems Capers scheme works pretty well against offenses that finish outside of the top 10 in scoring as the Packers have only allowed an average of 18.0 points in 84 games against such opponents. There's no way to overcome a lack of talent against elite opponents though with the team having given up 27.5 points per game in 44 such contests since 2009.
I was excited about Capers defense at first. I thought the 4-3 we ran before was too predictable, and I really liked the idea of being able to field a more confusing deffense. And it worked in 2010, too. Of course we had people like Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, and Clay Matthews in his prime to execute it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought the 4-3 we ran before was too predictable, and I really liked the idea of being able to field a more confusing deffense. And it worked in 2010, too. Of course we had people like Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, and Clay Matthews in his prime to execute it.

There's no doubt the defense featured significant more talent early during Capers tenure than over the past six seasons.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just FYI for those that didn't see, Rodgers was awarded NFL best player, and best play (The sideline strike to Cook in the closing seconds of the Dallas game) at the ESPYs last night.

I know it's a fan voted award, but it's truly remarkable to see him pull off multiple plays a year that could be considered play of the year worthy (the hail mary to Cobb in the Giants game, the 61 yarder to Jordy to win the Bears game, etc)

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just FYI for those that didn't see, Rodgers was awarded NFL best player, and best play (The sideline strike to Cook in the closing seconds of the Dallas game)

I know it's a fan voted award, but it's truly remarkable to see him pull off multiple plays a year that could be considered play of the year worthy (the hail mary to Cobb in the Giants game, the 61 yarder to Jordy to win the Bears game, etc)

Not sure how many fans voted and while this isn't exact science, I tend to value "fan votes" over "player/coaches votes", simply because who is this game being played for? While you do need coaches and players, without fans, Football would be nothing but a game being played in a grassy open field.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how many fans voted and while this isn't exact science, I tend to value "fan votes" over "player/coaches votes", simply because who is this game being played for? While you do need coaches and players, without fans, Football would be nothing but a game being played in a grassy open field.
Oh boy, I think i understand what you're trying to say and yes it's nice to have fan votes for their favorites and all, but the players and coaches have a much deeper understanding about this game than fans do. Their opinions trump our fan opinions all day long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh boy, I think i understand what you're trying to say and yes it's nice to have fan votes for their favorites and all, but the players and coaches have a much deeper understanding about this game than fans do. Their opinions trump our fan opinions all day long.

While I agree that players and coaches should and probably do have a better understanding of who the true "great players are", ultimately, in my mind, I am more interested in what the fans of the game think. At the end of the day, no matter how you look at it, all these polls are just subjective opinions that don't mean any more than "food for thought and discussion". Which I am guessing fans do more of, than coaches or players.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, I believe he would have at least 1 more ring.

I truly believe the Packers would have won more than two Super Bowls since 2009 with a defense constantly in the top 10 in points allowed.

It helps playing for a popular franchise like the Packers to win those awards though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It helps playing for a popular franchise like the Packers to win those awards though.

Agreed, also helps when you play and act like Aaron Frickin Rodgers. Even opposing fans have respect for him and his game. I'm not sure if AR has intentionally worked on his PR image over his career, but he is the kind of player I appreciate. Not overly cocky, good sense of humor and lightness about him, pretty direct, doesn't kiss up to the media AND respected by most of his teammates and opponents. Now if he was playing for the Bears, I may have a different and more frustrated opinion of him, but it would still be hard to deny, he is one of the best to play the game.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agreed, also helps when you play and act like Aaron Frickin Rodgers. Even opposing fans have respect for him and his game. I'm not sure if AR has intentionally worked on his PR image over his career, but he is the kind of player I appreciate. Not overly cocky, good sense of humor and lightness about him, pretty direct, doesn't kiss up to the media AND respected by most of his teammates and opponents. Now if he was playing for the Bears, I may have a different and more frustrated opinion of him, but it would still be hard to deny, he is one of the best to play the game.
Though he is very well recognized for what he does and how he conducts himself, I feel like many really aren't understanding and/or appreciating the level of greatness that he puts on display year in and year out. What he has done, and will continue to do at the quarterback position is absolutely remarkable. And I think it's taken for granted a little bit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Though he is very well recognized for what he does and how he conducts himself, I feel like many really aren't understanding and/or appreciating the level of greatness that he puts on display year in and year out. What he has done, and will continue to do at the quarterback position is absolutely remarkable. And I think it's taken for granted a little bit.

You could be right. However, true fans (Packer or otherwise) of the game, should be able to recognize and understand just how good this guy really is. Which is why a lot of people shake their heads when talking heads like Skip ****less and Colin Cowturd seem to dwell on anything negative that they can find on AR.

Also, as far as appreciating, again.....depends on who you are. Some Packer fans may take AR for granite, but I would hope most if not all appreciate just how special he is. Now as far as other fans, I can see why they don't appreciate his abilities to single handedly be able to pick their defenses apart.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Also, as far as appreciating, again.....depends on who you are. Some Packer fans may take AR for granite, but I would hope most if not all appreciate just how special he is. Now as far as other fans, I can see why they don't appreciate his abilities to single handedly be able to pick their defenses apart.

Pretty sure he's not that hard. ;)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011, 2014 to start?

2011 playoff game against the Giants the offense was abysmal and Rodgers was way off.

Don't get me wrong when I say that Rodgers needs to step up and have some great games in the playoffs, which he has not always had. Yes, he is human. I fully recognize that more often than not Rodgers hasn't had the opportunity to stage a great comeback in the playoffs because the defense let the other team run wild, and there was basically no chance.

See SF 2012, Atlanta 2016. But let's not forget that in 2014 against the 9ers, Rodgers again was very mediocre. Granted SF had the premier defense in the league, but still.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as really think that he needs to win another SB like that of Peyton Manning. Or two to be the GOAT. A lot of catching up to do.

D

Deleted member 6794

2011 playoff game against the Giants the offense was abysmal and Rodgers was way off.

Don't get me wrong when I say that Rodgers needs to step up and have some great games in the playoffs, which he has not always had. Yes, he is human. I fully recognize that more often than not Rodgers hasn't had the opportunity to stage a great comeback in the playoffs because the defense let the other team run wild, and there was basically no chance.

See SF 2012, Atlanta 2016. But let's not forget that in 2014 against the 9ers, Rodgers again was very mediocre. Granted SF had the premier defense in the league, but still.

I believe that a lot of Packers fans don't realize how tough it is to perform at an elite level against top defenses in the playoffs because they're used to the crap units their own team trots out there.

H

HardRightEdge

While there's no doubt Starr is an all-time Packers great you have to realize that he hugely benefited from having by far the best head coach of his era, a lot of talent around him and the league only consisting of a maximum of 16 teams during his tenure.

...and the reserve clause.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been on vacation and just saw this thread, so not sure if it has been mentioned. But one or two of Rodgers' future SB wins MUST come against Brady.