Reaction score
12/13/06 G.B. Press-Gazette:
-------
Insider: A closer look at Sunday's foe, the Lions

Quick facts

Game: Noon, Sunday; Lambeau Field.

Record: 2-11.

Coach: Rod Marinelli (first season).

Last week: The Lions' 30-20 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field was their fifth straight defeat.

Series: The Packers lead the regular-season series 81-64-7, dating to 1930. That includes games in which the Lions were known as the Portsmouth (Ohio) Spartans from 1930 to 1933. The Packers also have won both playoff meetings.

Last meeting: In a meeting of 0-2 teams, the Packers rode a masterful performance by Brett Favre to a 31-24 victory at Ford Field on Sept. 24. Favre's passer rating of 127.1 remains his highest of the season.

Odds and ends

The Lions rank 19th in total offense (32nd in rushing and ninth in passing) and 24th in total defense (23rd in rushing and 21st in passing). … If the Lions fail to win any of their three remaining games, they will finish 2-14 for the third time. They did so in 1979 and 2001. They have the worst record in the NFL since 2001, at 23-70.

Key injuries

Running back Kevin Jones has what is believed to be a Lisfranc fracture and dislocation in his left foot and will miss the rest of the season. The top two backups, Shawn Bryson and Brian Calhoun, also are on injured reserve. That leaves Arlen Harris and Aveion Cason, who have combined for 93 yards on 26 carries and one touchdown this season. The Lions signed running back Anthony Sherrell and guard Stephen Peterman from their practice squad on Tuesday. … Left guard Ross Verba (groin) is not expected to play. Right guard Blaine Saipaia (chest, shoulder) also may be out. … Standout defensive tackle Shaun Rogers has been out with knee and shoulder injuries and won't play the rest of this season.

Player to watch: Mike Furrey

Number: 87.

Position: Receiver.

Height: 6-0.

Weight: 205.

NFL experience: Fourth season.

College: Northern Iowa.

What to watch for: It's been a breakout year for a guy who signed a one-year, $500,000 contract as a free agent. Furrey played safety most of last season for the St. Louis Rams, whose secondary was depleted by injuries. When the Lions hired former Rams coach Mike Martz as their offensive coordinator, Martz convinced the Lions to look at Furrey as a receiver, where he played most of his career until last season. He leads the Lions with 74 receptions, which ranks fourth in the NFC and is tied for seventh in the NFL. He ranks ninth in the NFC with 857 receiving yards. Roy Williams leads the Lions with 1,116 receiving yards.

Last time against the Packers: Furrey had three catches for 38 yards in the Week 3 game.
----------------

As I see it, if the Packers can't beat this bunch at Lambeau, they should quit. Harris and Woodson should shut down Williams and Furrey, they have no running game, and Shaun Rogers is out, their best defensive player.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe what it must be like to be a Lions fan about now.....

All I can say is it's probably time for another....

MILLEN MAN MARCH on Detroit....!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the post net,

I really feel we should win this game ( nothing stat wise ) Just feel we are due for a home win and that the momentum from last game should get us the win.

The above being said; I think they will pass for a lot of yardage on this D of ours so we will need to score pretty big and as a result, someone other than DD may have to step it up !!!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A game like this is bad.

The team gets no credit for defeating the weaker team.
They can be embarassed if they don't do well or even lose.

The Packers are playing at home but the have hope in that they have won once at Lambeau this year so it is possible.

But winning the game can keep the hope of possible playoff game open for another week and then defeating the vikings the Packers will have a solid hold on second place in the division.

Fans may start to feel better about the team.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know there were 3 or 4 sportscasters that picked the Lions to win the division. Wow were they off. I just dont understand how the Lions can be so bad with the guys they have. They have talent on that team, but they just cant seem to use it right.

Staff online

Latest posts