The offense next year

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the offense to be elite next season once again but there's no doubt right guard and running back need to be addressed.

Cook actually was a better run blocker than both Bennett and Kendricks last season.
I'm sure you found some obscure stat to back your assertion but that's nonsense. You ask every head of personnel in the league who the better blocker is and it wouldn't be close. There are so many things that go into grading blocking like scheme, assignment, etc. If you think Cook is a better blocker, right on. I couldn't disagree more.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure you found some obscure stat to back your assertion but that's nonsense. You ask every head of personnel in the league who the better blocker is and it wouldn't be close. There are so many things that go into grading blocking like scheme, assignment, etc. If you think Cook is a better blocker, right on. I couldn't disagree more.

Just a few for you...

“Cook is faster straight-line, yes, but their body type is totally different,” one scout told McGinn. “When you walk up on Bennett, that is a man. Cook can’t block you or me. Bennett can. He can seal an edge.”

http://packersnotes.com/2017/03/tale-of-the-tape-bennett-vs-cook/

I think Cook was underrated as a blocker, especially in the run game. I didn't watch a lot of Patriots games last season to fairly evaluate Bennett in that area, that's why I mentioned PFF rating of him last season.

BTW I don't care a lot about what anonymous scouts tell McGinn.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cook was underrated as a blocker, especially in the run game. I didn't watch a lot of Patriots games last season to fairly evaluate Bennett in that area, that's why I mentioned PFF rating of him last season.

BTW I don't care a lot about what anonymous scouts tell McGinn.
The general consensus among scouts is MB is a far superior blocker than Cook. I think Cookie did great for us last year. Heck, I wanted him back. I did watch a lot of Pats games and Marty does everything he's asked to do and he does it well. All you have to do is listen to the way TB12 talked about him to know what kind of player he is. We'll just agree to disagree. I'm confident you'll come around quickly once the ball is snapped.

D

Deleted member 6794

The general consensus among scouts is MB is a far superior blocker than Cook. I think Cookie did great for us last year. Heck, I wanted him back. I did watch a lot of Pats games and Marty does everything he's asked to do and he does it well. All you have to do is listen to the way TB12 talked about him to know what kind of player he is. We'll just agree to disagree. I'm confident you'll come around quickly once the ball is snapped.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers replacing Cook with Bennett. It seems he struggled blocking for the run in New England last season though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me personally, in today's NFL, if I have to make a choice between an excellent receiving TE and an excellent blocking one, I'd take the receiver. You rarely get a TE who's good at both.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me personally, in today's NFL, if I have to make a choice between an excellent receiving TE and an excellent blocking one, I'd take the receiver. You rarely get a TE who's good at both.

Who would you consider the better reciever between Cook and Bennett though?

Personally I think Bennett is better at everything being a reciever entails. Hands, route running, after the catch and red zone target.

I'm genuinely curious why someone would rate Cook better at anything receiving related outside of his 40 time

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would you consider the better reciever between Cook and Bennett though?

Personally I think Bennett is better at everything being a reciever entails. Hands, route running, after the catch and red zone target.

I'm genuinely curious why someone would rate Cook better at anything receiving related outside of his 40 time

Maybe there's not a huge difference, but I'd go with Bennett. Bigger, bigger better hands, too. He was used mostly 15 yards and in last year, but he's more than capable of causing opponents trouble down the seam.
He's also fun as a quote machine.
I think Packer fans are gonna like him.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I care is that twice a year he scores vs the Bears and then gets the game winning td vs the Pats in the SB. J/K of course. I am happy with Marty, I think he will do well for us.

Maybe just coincidence about Cook, but Gurley had a heck of a drop off without him this year. I (and many in the U.S.) don't watch the Rams, so hard to say if it was that, but I appreciated what Cook brought to the table and am happy we have some more talent at TE this year, plus some depth to boot.

I appreciate what Rodgers does for us, but he isn't a game changer between the 20's so this is a good move. MB may or may not be better than JC, but we don't lose anything scheme wise and now have a decent number 2. And I love the toughness a Bennett brother brings.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh. If he got hurt last year, he'll probably be on injured reserve for us by game 2. :mad:
Man I hope not. I know coach brought in an analyst last year (maybe 2 years back?) to try and identify what they were doing in their workout program that was possibly leading to the injury situation. I understand injuries are part of the game and always will be. But man it seems like we get pounded with some significant ones every stinking year. Hopefully we can have a semi-healthy season and bring Lombardi back to where he belongs.