The offense must run through Jones and Dillon

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe a penalty on 1st down pushed the Packers back before the sack. That is not because of the Jets defense. Now if they blocked another kick I would give them credit.

The Packers had a third down on the Jets 35-yard line before a sack moved them out of field goal range. Their defense definitely deserves credit for that.

As a side note, a lot of penalties happen to prevent an opposing defender of making a play. Therefore I don't agree with the defense having nothing to do with it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers had a third down on the Jets 35-yard line before a sack moved them out of field goal range. Their defense definitely deserves credit for that.

As a side note, a lot of penalties happen to prevent an opposing defender of making a play. Therefore I don't agree with the defense having nothing to do with it.
Just like we can blame the Defense for having to lineup for 72 snaps yesterday. Come on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just like we can blame the Defense for having to lineup for 72 snaps yesterday. Come on.

As mentioned in another thread, it's hardly the fault of the offense that the defense gave up five first downs on third down plays of at least six yards.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread, it's hardly the fault of the offense that the defense gave up five first downs on third down plays of at least six yards.
Right. It is hardly the fault of the Washington defense that its offense kept them on the sideline most of the game.

Reaction score
That’s something that bothers me. A simple couple yards here is a 70% FG try. Many games we’ve played this season have been lower scoring games. You take the points unless you’ve been moving it repeatedly up and down the field. Rely on your veterans and take the points. Run Dillon right up the gut for 2-3 yards.

Take the 3 points when it’s a score of 0-0 after 9 possessions!!
Sorry.. just hoping Matt sees this!
It’s absolutely a factor when your offense is the leagues lowest in snaps and points combined. It means you can’t control the ball or the scoreboard and they hand the ball right back to the opposing Offense every 4 plays all game long. That’s a big problem caused by our Offense and if it doesn’t get fixed we’ll need to activate another 5-6 Defenders and a oxygen truck just to breath.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
That’s something that bothers me. A simple couple yards here is a 70% FG try. Many games we’ve played this season have been lower scoring games. You take the points unless you’ve been moving it repeatedly up and down the field. Rely on your veterans and take the points. Run Dillon right up the gut for 2-3 yards.

Take the 3 points when it’s a score of 0-0 after 9 possessions!!

It’s absolutely a factor when your offense is the leagues lowest in snaps and points combined. It means you can’t control the ball or the scoreboard and they hand the ball right back every 4 plays!

Give me a break once in a season
It really gets frustrating when you are on the cusp of FG range as in the last 3 games and you push yourself back due to a penalty. A sack, or some premonition to go deep. Yes, we need to take 3. And expecting the defense to play 72 snaps is NOT all their fault. That is comparable to a hockey team giving up 50 SOG but only getting 20-25 themselves. Poor goalie.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it sucks to think about, but if I'm Gutey, I'm calling around and shopping Aaron Jones.

He's not CMC, but he's close, and it will take this team some time to become a contender again considering how poorly they are playing this year. Jones doesn't deserve to toil on this sinking ship.

Get what we can now to help with a rebuild.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I

It really gets frustrating when you are on the cusp of FG range as in the last 3 games and you push yourself back due to a penalty. A sack, or some premonition to go deep. Yes, we need to take 3. And expecting the defense to play 72 snaps is NOT all their fault. That is comparable to a hockey team giving up 50 SOG but only getting 20-25 themselves. Poor goalie.
Yes. I wouldn’t normally take the points. But this year we’ve had 6 lower scoring games. <=24 pts. If you’ve got basically a good Defensive contest and you’re winning, even or down <1 score take those points if it’s a 60% chance or better and especially if it puts you in the lead.

In that example it was 0-0 score and we had the 9th possession. Take those points that’s really just common sense to draw momentum
Crosby is good inside about ~53+-

Although we might be playing scared because of that FG blocked last week?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it sucks to think about, but if I'm Gutey, I'm calling around and shopping Aaron Jones.

He's not CMC, but he's close, and it will take this team some time to become a contender again considering how poorly they are playing this year. Jones doesn't deserve to toil on this sinking ship.

Get what we can now to help with a rebuild.
Ok

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been saying it all year - The offense must run through Jones and Dillon! Whether it be on the ground or through the air, my targeted goal for combined touches between those two starts at 30! Anything less in my opinion and you aren’t giving yourself the best chance to win.

With all due respect, when Cobb is your best WR you better not be throwing almost 40 times in a game.
Hard to argue with it. We need to run the ball and cobtroll time of posesion to won games from here on and especially have any chance to not look like a bunch of bums vs Buffalo. Successful running the ball and controlled short to intermediate playaction passing game will give our receivers best chance to create some separation and keep our D# fresh to make playes and keep us in games.

Smashmouth from here on in all 3 phases of the game with unrelenting energy and confidence will not only win us some games but earn us respect back and rebuild teams confidance as well as entertain and re-energize the fan base

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s absolutely a factor when your offense is the leagues lowest in snaps and points combined. It means you can’t control the ball or the scoreboard and they hand the ball right back to the opposing Offense every 4 plays all game long. That’s a big problem caused by our Offense and if it doesn’t get fixed we’ll need to activate another 5-6 Defenders and a oxygen truck just to breath.

The Packers offense ranks 19th in plays per game. They have actually been on the field for 38 more snaps than the defense. In addition there are only seven teams in the league which go three-and-out on a smaller percentage of drives than the Packers. The game against the Commanders was the first one in which the defense had been on the field for more plays than the offense.

All in all, the defense getting tired is a lame excuse for their struggles.

The Packers' season isn't over, no need to trade their most skilled player on offense aside of Rodgers.

Hard to argue with it. We need to run the ball and cobtroll time of posesion to won games from here on and especially have any chance to not look like a bunch of bums vs Buffalo. Successful running the ball and controlled short to intermediate playaction passing game will give our receivers best chance to create some separation and keep our D# fresh to make playes and keep us in games.

Is there any reason a lot of you ignore the fact that the Packers aren't successful running the ball either???

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it. The Packers start out running the ball successfully having a good YPC number. Then the other team adjusts to stop the run. The Pack then are running the ball unsuccessfully which leads to them going to the passing game. Unfortunately the passing game has been mostly unsuccessful this season. IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it. The Packers start out running the ball successfully having a good YPC number. Then the other team adjusts to stop the run. The Pack then are running the ball unsuccessfully which leads to them going to the passing game. Unfortunately the passing game has been mostly unsuccessful this season. IMO.
we've been killing ourselves with penalties too, negating good runs and putting us into passing downs. Lots of 1st and 2nd and pretty longs after penalties this year

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can't stop the run. Period. Teams will grind the clock down and keep the offense off the field. Offense doesn't get in rhythm. It's rusty anyway, and Rodgers can't put the team on his back. At best this is a one and done wildcard team as it stands because the good teams will just run it on us and stop our run game. It's time to sell off assets IMO. The window is closed.

Reaction score
All in all, the defense getting tired is a lame excuse for their struggles.
Arguably the best Defense to ever set field is the 1985 Chicago Bears. It’s a fact that they would go 11-5 with this Offense.

At 17.28 per contest on Offense in GB, the only teams that would have any chance whatsoever of making a playoff contest would be The Buffalo Bills or Denver Broncos.

The Broncos Are the only team to crack a top 5 Defense and did it with an Offense scoring 14.28 points per game. That Denver Defense might have gotten GB to a 4-3 or 5-2 type record. Denver flies under the radar, but that D is dangerously good, possibly better than Buffalo.
The Bills would have an outside chance of breaking .500 with our Offense, but they have the benefit of a #4 scoring offense at 25.14 per game, so it’s hard to say if each contest you negated 8 points.

They would’ve lost to the
chiefs 16-20

They would’ve lost to the Ravens
15-20

The Bills #1 Defense would boast a 3-3 record today if they had our Offense.

Our Offense is so bad it’s bordering on historically bad. The last time our Offense finished below 17.28 per contrast was 1991 season (4-12) and they nearly matched it at 17.1 per contest. In 1980 we were 14.4 per game scoring. Without splitting hairs, That 1980 team coached by Bart Starr was actually worse. We go back to 42 years ago!

While I agree we need to improve our Run Defense, that’s not even close to being our biggest issue right now. Certainly not enough to dissuade posters towards Defense in an Offense thread with these types of sly remarks.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Barnes is back and healthy I still think this defense is a better squad with him next to Campbell than Quay at this moment except in passing downs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quay is athletic and fast, and he can hit. But he doesn’t seem to be catching on too quickly. Miss reading and overrunning a lot. You can see the play making ability but can’t make a play in the wrong spot

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see where the defense stands after this week’s game when we aren’t facing a Zappe/Wilson/Heinicke. Definitely a better test to evaluate whether we are as good as advertised.

Reaction score
Quay is athletic and fast, and he can hit. But he doesn’t seem to be catching on too quickly. Miss reading and overrunning a lot. You can see the play making ability but can’t make a play in the wrong spot
Yes. It seems he makes up for some early lack of play understanding with pure athleticism. I still look to that TD saving play against Fields and that pass break up deep down the sideline where he hung solid with a WR. Pure athleticism and a will to disrupt.

It’s tough because Quay probably needed a season of play and game film (call it seasoning) to really start to thrive.

I do think Barnes is a better Pure Run Defender when fully healthy. I’d consider putting Barnes in mid 3rd Quarter when teams start pounding us in the run game though. Get some fresh legs coming downhill

Reaction score
I'm worried because he at minimum when placed on IR had to miss four weeks...well that has passed and still nothing.
Gotcha. I was searching and they were saying a pretty serious high ankle sprain.
Then I saw a reference to Matt saying he would likely save the Active elevation for Sammy Watkins verses Barnes when apparently he was proposed a question about activating a player from IR. It was in the header link, but I couldn’t find it when I scanned the long article.

I guess whenever he’s back at practice is our first sign.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers average 3.7 yards per carry in the first quarter compared to 4.9 the rest of the game.

It's time to sell off assets IMO. The window is closed.

The Packers need to take advantage of having Rodgers as long as he's around. There will be enough time to sell off assets once their HOF QB is gone.

Arguably the best Defense to ever set field is the 1985 Chicago Bears. It’s a fact that they would go 11-5 with this Offense.

It's pretty obvious you can't tell the difference between a fact and you purely speculating.
At 17.28 per contest on Offense in GB, the only teams that would have any chance whatsoever of making a playoff contest would be The Buffalo Bills or Denver Broncos.

The Bucs and Rams have scored less points than the Packers per game and are currently sitting in a playoff spot.

Our Offense is so bad it’s bordering on historically bad. The last time our Offense finished below 17.28 per contrast was 1991 season (4-12) and they nearly matched it at 17.1 per contest. In 1980 we were 14.4 per game scoring. Without splitting hairs, That 1980 team coached by Bart Starr was actually worse. We go back to 42 years ago!

The Packers have scored 18.3 points per game so far this season. While they haven't been as bad as this since 1992 (which shouldn't come as a surprise as they have had HOF QBs starting for them ever since) they came pretty close in 2005 (18.6) and '06 (18.8).

While I agree we need to improve our Run Defense, that’s not even close to being our biggest issue right now. Certainly not enough to dissuade posters towards Defense in an Offense thread with these types of sly remarks.

Don't get me wrong, there's no doubt the offense is struggling. But that was to be expected considering the lack of talent at pass catchers. The defense on the other hand was considered to be elite entering the season, something they definitely haven't lived up to.

In addition it's bogus to suggest the defense hasn't been able to perform at a high level because they have been on the field for a ton of plays as actually only two teams have faced less plays by opposing offenses than the Packers.

It’ll be interesting to see where the defense stands after this week’s game when we aren’t facing a Zappe/Wilson/Heinicke. Definitely a better test to evaluate whether we are as good as advertised.

The defense hasn't been as good as advertised against the quarterbacks you mentioned either.

Yes. It seems he makes up for some early lack of play understanding with pure athleticism. I still look to that TD saving play against Fields and that pass break up deep down the sideline where he hung solid with a WR. Pure athleticism and a will to disrupt.

While Quay has been able to make up for his mistakes with his athleticism on some plays there are way too many he wasn't to.

Then I saw a reference to Matt saying he would likely save the Active elevation for Sammy Watkins verses Barnes when apparently he was proposed a question about activating a player from IR.

The Packers can activate a total of eight players from IR this season. It's not a either or decision.

Members online

Latest posts