The offense must run through Jones and Dillon

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what if this is the last year of having the duo....we all I guarantee you will in ten years still be talking about this duo as the best many of us saw in GB.

What together these two have produced is nothing short of ELITE.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what if this is the last year of having the duo....we all I guarantee you will in ten years still be talking about this duo as the best many of us saw in GB.

That truly was a great fete. And it should have carried us.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm sure that for people younger than me, that very well could be the case.
As for me, I'd have to see significantly more before I put this pair above Taylor and Hornung.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for me, I'd have to see significantly more before I put this pair above Taylor and Hornung.

Yup, that is the last duo I think clearly wins out over Jones/Dillon - IMO that is.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, that is the last duo I think clearly wins out over Jones/Dillon - IMO that is.
Ty thanks for the info on Jones/Dillon. I knew they were productive, but didn't know how productive. Very cool.

And yeah I guess I was around 10 years old when Hornung and Taylor were ripping it up. It's even more impressive when you consider Hornung was probably playing with a hangover! Max McGee was another notorious Packer partier, always in Lombardi's dog house.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely like the 2 we have now, but I'd take an Ahman Green in a heartbeat for this offense.

Reaction score
What they’ve done is impressive. Especially for a late 2nd and a late 5th Rounder. I’m very thankful we’ve had those 2.

That said, imo we could still be slightly shy of their top production season. There’s a correct OL formula that can lift them up even higher. I expected it in 2021, but we got (or stayed) pretty banged up on OL. We also had to smartly focus on QB protection with a less mobile Rodgers in 2021.
Moving forward. I think that’s partly what we are experimenting with now is being able to be close to unstoppable on the ground and short passing game. Achieving that level would open things up for Jordan and allow us to get some big play chunks because we could have several YAC stars (Watson, Reed, Kraft come to mind) It’s that delicate balance of forcing opponents to commit to the Run and then we slice n dice then with uber athletic TE’s and WR’s helping in the passing game and working against more 1 on 1 opportunities. Opponents need more than 1 Defender to cover that above list if they don’t want to get burned.

Also. While I don’t like QB’s running too much, having a young version of Aaron Rodgers legs can be a factor. Just when opponents get the correct matchups, our QB waltzes for an easy 1st down

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What they’ve done is impressive. Especially for a late 2nd and a late 5th Rounder. I’m very thankful we’ve had those 2.

That said, imo we could still be slightly shy of their top production season. There’s a correct OL formula that can lift them up even higher. I expected it in 2021, but we got (or stayed) pretty banged up on OL. We also had to smartly focus on QB protection with a less mobile Rodgers in 2021.
Moving forward. I think that’s partly what we are experimenting with now is being able to be close to unstoppable on the ground and short passing game. Achieving that level would open things up for Jordan and allow us to get some big play chunks because we could have several YAC stars (Watson, Reed, Kraft come to mind) It’s that delicate balance of forcing opponents to commit to the Run and then we slice n dice then with uber athletic TE’s and WR’s helping in the passing game and working against more 1 on 1 opportunities. Opponents need more than 1 Defender to cover that above list if they don’t want to get burned.

Also. While I don’t like QB’s running too much, having a young version of Aaron Rodgers legs can be a factor. Just when opponents get the correct matchups, our QB waltzes for an easy 1st down
"be close to unstoppable on the ground and short passing game"

Unstoppable? The Packers still have an extremely young receiving group. Opponents have no reason to fear it until Love and the receivers prove otherwise. If anything, opponents can cheat on run defense, certainly early in the season. And this is still the NFL. I don't think any position group on any team can be considered unstoppable.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers running backs combined to rank fourth in the league in total yards from scrimmage in 2022 behind only the Niners, Cowboys and Lions. While that's definitely impressive I wonder if it's too optimistic to expect them to carry even more of the offensive load this upcoming season.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely. A different era but Thunder and Lightning are both in the HOF. In their time they both were excellent blockers and pass catchers. Both could hit a specific hole almost perfectly. Both could read blitzes extremely well and both were on the same page as their QB. Hornung had the ability yo pass and early in his career he could place kick.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers running backs combined to rank fourth in the league in total yards from scrimmage in 2022 behind only the Niners, Cowboys and Lions. While that's definitely impressive I wonder if it's too optimistic to expect them to carry even more of the offensive load this upcoming season.
It would be quite a load. When an offense does not have talent to throw to the pass catchers on the line or a QB who can get it TO them the backs do carry the load. In MVP year 1966 for Bart Starr his receiver with the most catches was Jimmy Taylor, the FB. It happens. But with that workload injuries are more likely.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um. :tdown:
When someone in here sais “I’d like for us to “add a weapon” on Offense. Do you TWO (Frick n frack) think they mean an actual Nuclear Sub or Missile launcher?
Just curious

That reminded me of this joke about taking things literal.

There was a guy who got pulled over for performing a U Turn in a marked
“NO U TURN” intersection. The officer asked the man if he saw the sign? The man answers “absolutely I did. I was just asking myself if maybe I shouldn’t u turn here because it might be illegal? I asked myself.. maybe I should find another intersection to turn around?
But right then the sign came into clear focus. It read “NO…. …
U TURN” !
and so I Just did what the sign said!”
This is confusing OldSchool, even for you. Nuclear Sub, Missile Launcher, and a street sign to make a point. What point?

"Unstoppable" has a pretty clear meaning. When it is used inappropriately, as I think you did, it's kinda obvious. If you didn't mean it literally, qualify it somehow. Otherwise it just looks like the slanted comment of a Packer fanatic with no logical basis.

Well, not that many of us are bound much by logic on here, including me......

Reaction score
"Unstoppable" has a pretty clear meaning. When it is used inappropriately, as I think you did, it's kinda obvious. If you didn't mean it literally, qualify it somehow. Otherwise it just looks like the slanted comment of a Packer fanatic with no logical basis.
I did quantify the increase in the same post. Reread the earlier part of my post again. You responded with a knee jerk before reading the whole post there.
I clearly said that imo we hadn’t peaked yet and in 2022 our RB duo we was still slightly under our total ceiling. You’ll see that if you just look.

So if you do the basic math (2,500 all-purpose yards) and stay on theme.. you’ll see that was the setup for “close to unstoppable”.
Secondly. I also never said “unstoppable” you oddly dropped the words “close to” in that same sentence. So please don’t crucify me as a fanatical fan with no basis for posts until you at least read my entire post and take it into context.

If our RB duo get’s into sniffing anywhere close to ~3,000 yards?? (2,750 etc) I’d call that slightly closer to their ceiling. I’d also call ~3,000 All Purpose for 2 RB’s very dominant. Wouldn’t you?

Packers duo had 2,490 All purpose
Giants duo had 2,358 All purpose
Bears duo had 2,260 All purpose
Eagled duo had 2,107 AP
Atlanta duo had 1,991 AP
Ravens duo had 1,335 AP

2017 Kamara-Mark Ingram duo was totally dominant and as close to unstoppable as the NFL has seen with 3,094 historical All purpose yards (16 contests).

*1977 Dorsette-Newhouse broke 2,900 AP yards (14 contests)

*1985 Roger Craig-Wendell Tyler
3,087 AP (16 contests)

*Taylor/Hornung in 1961
2,224 AP (14 games)

I’d firmly call a RB duo “unstoppable” (17 games)
In that 3,000+ AP
(top 4 in NFL history)

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did quantify the increase in the same post. Reread the earlier part of my post again. You responded with a knee jerk before reading the whole post there.
I clearly said that imo we hadn’t peaked yet and in 2022 our RB duo we was still slightly under our total ceiling. You’ll see that if you just look.

So if you do the basic math (2,500 all-purpose yards) and stay on theme.. you’ll see that was the setup for “close to unstoppable”.
Secondly. I also never said “unstoppable” you oddly dropped the words “close to” in that same sentence. So please don’t crucify me as a fanatical fan with no basis for posts until you at least read my entire post and take it into context.

If our RB duo get’s into sniffing anywhere close to ~3,000 yards?? (2,750 etc) I’d call that slightly closer to their ceiling. I’d also call ~3,000 All Purpose for 2 RB’s very dominant. Wouldn’t you?

Eagled duo had 2,107 AP
Atlanta duo had 1,991 AP
Ravens duo had 1,335 AP

2017 Kamara-Mark Ingram duo was totally dominant and as close to unstoppable as the NFL has seen with 3,094 historical All purpose yards (16 contests).

3,087 AP (16 contests)

*Taylor/Hornung in 1961
2,224 AP (14 games)

In that 3,000+ AP
(top 4 in NFL history)
A key factor that Lombardi noted was how well any duo performs inside the 10 yard line. Marching up and down the field is bountiful but if you cannot put it across the goal line there is a big difference between 7 and 3. Also recall that Hornung missed several games in 1961 due to military service during the Berlin Crisis.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eagled duo had 2,107 AP
Atlanta duo had 1,991 AP
Ravens duo had 1,335 AP

3,087 AP (16 contests)

*Taylor/Hornung in 1961
2,224 AP (14 games)

In that 3,000+ AP
(top 4 in NFL history)
Just glancing at the length of your reply makes my eyes water. I mean I can appreciate the effort man, but someone actually needs to want to read such a long reply. Brevity is beauty brother.....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how defenses play the "Rodgerless Packers" this season. My guess is that they will do whatever they can to try and confuse/pressure Love and stack the box to do so, this will also probably slow down Jones/Dillon. MLF and Stenavich are going to have to be very creative, reactive and make in game changes, more than I think they had to with Rodgers. Meanwhile, Jordan is going to get a crash course on reading NFL defenses, identifying blitzes and hopefully, taking advantage of secondaries, that might be playing a bit more laxed than they did against Rodgers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how defenses play the "Rodgerless Packers" this season. My guess is that they will do whatever they can to try and confuse/pressure Love and stack the box to do so, this will also probably slow down Jones/Dillon. MLF and Stenavich are going to have to be very creative, reactive and make in game changes, more than I think they had to with Rodgers. Meanwhile, Jordan is going to get a crash course on reading NFL defenses, identifying blitzes and hopefully, taking advantage of secondaries, that might be playing a bit more laxed than they did against Rodgers.
Good observations. The box will be stacked, a lot, against a Love-run offense. That was my point earlier - it's likely to slow down a guy like Dillon who tends to run north/south. Jones might fare better outside if the OL and TEs can set an edge.

MLF can help Love's cause with game planning - before the game, and as you note, during the game. They relied a lot on AR for in-game management, so this will be a real test for MLF.

If they can keep things simple for the first few games and get Love a bit of confidence, things should open up. So much depends on how ready Love is to play the game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones and Dillon will not be on the field at the same time as much as people think. If we see it more than a half dozen plays a game, probably a lot less, I'd be surprised. The statements are made to give opponents defenses something else they have to plan against.

Reaction score
Just glancing at the length of your reply makes my eyes water. I mean I can appreciate the effort man, but someone actually needs to want to read such a long reply. Brevity is beauty brother.....
I simply tried to be cordial and provide you with the basis for my post (due to your claims that my post had no basis) and out of “benefit of the doubt” on your behalf. Then you double down on some childish, vain attempt to insult me?

No one was looking for an apology if that’s why you posted this in all timid and insecure-like, sarcastic fashion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It would be quite a load. When an offense does not have talent to throw to the pass catchers on the line or a QB who can get it TO them the backs do carry the load.

The Packers will need to have at least some success throwing the ball for Jones and Dillon to be effective running the ball. Otherwise they won't be able to put up even better numbers than they did last year.

I would definitely consider Jones, Dillon and any other running backs putting up 3,000 yards from scrimmage as elite. I'm not convinced they will be able to put up better numbers than in 2022 with opponents most likely focusing on stopping the run though.

A key factor that Lombardi noted was how well any duo performs inside the 10 yard line. Marching up and down the field is bountiful but if you cannot put it across the goal line there is a big difference between 7 and 3.

The Packers didn't have a lot of success running the ball inside the 10-yard line last season. They ranked tied for 26th in yards per attempt at 1.5, 29th in first down percentage at 25.0% as well as tied for 29th in touchdown percentage.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were an opposing DC I would do exactly what you said. We have to utilize TEs and the backfield more than in the last decade. And like you said the lax secondary is when we might get a shot down the field.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I simply tried to be cordial and provide you with the basis for my post (due to your claims that my post had no basis) and out of “benefit of the doubt” on your behalf. Then you double down on some childish, vain attempt to insult me?

No one was looking for an apology if that’s why you posted this in all timid and insecure-like, sarcastic fashion.
You're angry and not thinking straight.

Look, I'll read a long post from Ty. He does his research and makes sense and it's always useful. And he knows how to use the English language.

From you we get Nuclear Subs, Missile Launchers, a completely incoherent discussion about U-Turn signs - oh and a 2023 prediction or guarantee of an "unstoppable" GB run game. And then you deny you meant "unstoppable" when it's the very word you used - in another incoherent reply.

I mean we're all Packer homers to some extent. You just don't write well and know how to string together a coherent comment or reply.

Figure it out. If you can. Or just be like Ty.

Reaction score
You're angry and not thinking straight.

Look, I'll read a long post from Ty. He does his research and makes sense and it's always useful. And he knows how to use the English language.

From you we get Nuclear Subs, Missile Launchers, a completely incoherent discussion about U-Turn signs - oh and a 2023 prediction or guarantee of an "unstoppable" GB run game. And then you deny you meant "unstoppable" when it's the very word you used - in another incoherent reply.

I mean we're all Packer homers to some extent. You just don't write well and know how to string together a coherent comment or reply.

Figure it out. If you can. Or just be like Ty.
So now in 2 posts I’m mad, baseless, can’t use English and incoherent. You’re really on a tall pedestal lately aren’t you.

FYI. I’m not mad at all. I’m more just amazed at how brazen you’ve become (or more like reverted back to) in here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would definitely consider Jones, Dillon and any other running backs putting up 3,000 yards from scrimmage as elite. I'm not convinced they will be able to put up better numbers than in 2022 with opponents most likely focusing on stopping the run though.
Yes. I considered that also and that makes a lot of sense. Especially considering Aaron Jones 2022 statement.
My thought is I’d normally expect a slight regression, except that we should run at a slightly higher %. The YPC drop some, but they will be compensated for by increased carry load. Then the additional 250 yards could easily come between both RB’s in the passing game and 2 phase involvement. Both are very capable in that aspect and both are viable veteran options to lean on this season. It’s not a stretch to think the RB combined carry load increase by a couple targets/carry per contest.

That said I think it’s very doable to get into that ~2,750 area (yards) and even more probable that a 3rd RB gets us into ~3,000 territory.

Last edited: