The offense must run through Jones and Dillon

D

Deleted member 6794

I think what it amounts to is that our defense although not one of the elites in the league is having to play too much defense. And this tends to help teams that struggle on offense.

The defense would play less if they were able to consistently get off the field as well.

We won games without Adams or Lazard in the lineup. We won games without one of our RBs. We almost won a game last year without our HOF QB.

It seems that opposing teams found a blueprint to contain the Packers' offense without Adams this season and there's not enough talent on that side of the ball to overcome it.

Ok. Maybe they aren’t elite yet. But if my math is correct they give up like 18.2 true points per contest. That’s plenty good enough to win some football games. Just those 2 TD’s (Blocked Punt * pick6) are hurtful.

You need to do that for every other team in the league as well though. The Packers currently rank 11th in the league in points given up by their defense. While that is decent it's definitely not elite either.

They give up lots if running yards but so far holding strong in points allowed. They do need more takeaways but at least Barry played lots of full press this week. It showed in the 110 yards passing allowed.

Unfortunately that doesn't help a lot if the defense gives up 179 yards on the ground though.

O-Line not as good as last year. Wish Pack would've worked something out with Billy Turner. He was very solid.

The Packers offensive line wasn't that good last season to begin with. Rodgers and Adams made up for a lot of deficiencies though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think he's capable of that, at this stage of his career ?
I think he is more capable of doing that than doing well when starting. But he is pretty interesting. He was a number one or two pick with the Lions QB. Both started their rookie years. I wonder if they would have been better off sitting for a couple years? They did good right away but could not really keep it up.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what it amounts to is that our defense although not one of the elites in the league is having to play too much defense. And this tends to help teams that struggle on offense.
Exactly. Our D is getting gassed and effed over a lot.

Are they underperforming a little? Sure, but they're mostly getting screwed over

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense would play less if they were able to consistently get off the field as well.

It seems that opposing teams found a blueprint to contain the Packers' offense without Adams this season and there's not enough talent on that side of the ball to overcome it.

You need to do that for every other team in the league as well though. The Packers currently rank 11th in the league in points given up by their defense. While that is decent it's definitely not elite either.

Unfortunately that doesn't help a lot if the defense gives up 179 yards on the ground though.

The Packers offensive line wasn't that good last season to begin with. Rodgers and Adams made up for a lot of deficiencies though.L
In the first half of the Jets game our defense DID consistently get off the field as they did in the Bucs game. But they consistently had to go back ON the field. Press defense is exactly the right game plan for a team like the Jets who have no downfield weapons and a very green QB. The Jets used it on us. The difference is the Jets succeeded at it for an entire game while we only kept up for 35 minutes. Last years team played without Bahk the entire year Jenkins most of the year. This season has seen a lot of them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Our D is getting gassed and effed over a lot.

Are they underperforming a little? Sure, but they're mostly getting screwed over
With this team an average defense should have been enough to go deep in the post season. In past seasons we could do that even with BAD defenses.

Reaction score
Yes, Jones and Dillon are the best offensive options, but we're all getting to see why running backs NEED to have at least the threat of a deep passing game to excel.
This.
Plus the OL as a whole has not blocked well. Maybe slightly better in the Run as a whole though.
However the Jets DL clearly won the day in this last contest and stymied our running attack. The one thing I’ll add is Jones had a 22 yard run reversed for penalty. As a unit we were really running for around 4 yards per, which is average. We Probably would’ve ran successfully more in the 4th quarter had time not become a concern.

I agree that having at least 1 guy who occasionally burn you on a deep play (which we do not have) prevents a defense from sliding a Safety into the box

Reaction score
For any Defense.
Less Points Allowed (17) far outweighs Rushing yards allowed (179) or passing yards Allowed (110).
I’m not sure if you though that response through very well or just felt like complaining. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

In the first half of the Jets game our defense DID consistently get off the field as they did in the Bucs game. But they consistently had to go back ON the field.

True, the defense played well in the first half. Unfortunately they couldn't keep it up in the second.

With this team an average defense should have been enough to go deep in the post season. In past seasons we could do that even with BAD defenses.

In my opinion the Packers need an elite defense for them to go deep in the playoffs this year.

For any Defense.
Less Points Allowed (17) far outweighs Rushing yards allowed (179) or passing yards Allowed (110).
I’m not sure if you though that response through very well or just felt like complaining. ;)

I know you don't care about rushing yards given up but the defense definitely didn't play well enough in the second half to win the game with the offense struggling. That's what it will take this year to win enough games to make it into the playoffs.

By the way, the defense gave up 20 points.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, the defense played well in the first half. Unfortunately they couldn't keep it up in the second.

In my opinion the Packers need an elite defense for them to go deep in the playoffs this year.

I know you don't care about rushing yards given up but the defense definitely didn't play well enough in the second half to win the game with the offense struggling. That's what it will take this year to win enough games to make it into the playoffs.

By the way, the defense gave up 20 points.
The first 3 points came right after the Dillon-Rodgers fumble at our 34. So call it 17.

D

Deleted member 6794

The first 3 points came right after the Dillon-Rodgers fumble at our 34. So call it 17.

The Packers defense gave up another 20 yards after the fumble. Therefore they deserve part of the blame on giving up those three points as well.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense gave up another 20 yards after the fumble. Therefore they deserve part of the blame on giving up those three points as well.
If 20 yards was so vital to FG drives they would be playing on a 50 yard field. If the fumble does not occur and we punt without getting it blocked 20 yards would mean a punt right back to us. Even if the Jets gain one yard they are already in FG range.

D

Deleted member 6794

If 20 yards was so vital to FG drives they would be playing on a 50 yard field. If the fumble does not occur and we punt without getting it blocked 20 yards would mean a punt right back to us. Even if the Jets gain one yard they are already in FG range.

The defense giving up another 20 yards was the difference between a tough field goal and a chipshot. Therefore, in my opinion they deserve blame for giving up points in that situation as well.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I am with Milani on this one. If your standards are so high that holding a team to 20 yards and a FG after a turnover in your territory is not a win for the defense then that is your problem. I no longer consider you the smartest man in the room. IMO.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense giving up another 20 yards was the difference between a tough field goal and a chipshot. Therefore, in my opinion they deserve blame for giving up points in that situation as well.
That is nonsense. So if we fumble on our 34 seven times in a game and our opponent gains 20 yards and kicks 7 FGs it is on our defense. 140 yards of offense and they win like 21-7 and it is on our defense. Best example was in 1996. Our Defense kept the Cowboys out of the end zone but Chris Boniol kicked 7 FGs. We lost 21-6. If we only had a defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is nonsense. So if we fumble on our 34 seven times in a game and our opponent gains 20 yards and kicks 7 FGs it is on our defense. 140 yards of offense and they win like 21-7 and it is on our defense. Best example was in 1996. Our Defense kept the Cowboys out of the end zone but Chris Boniol kicked 7 FGs. We lost 21-6. If we only had a defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I no longer consider you the smartest man in the room. IMO.

You should have never done that in the first place.

The Jets defense was put in a similar situation after the Packers blocked a punt with Rodgers and the offense getting the ball on their 36-yard line. They responded by getting a three-and-out, even forcing them out of field goal range. That's what I'm looking for in an elite defense.

While the Packers defense did a great job of keeping the Cowboys out of the end zone in that game in 1996 they allowed a total of 317 yards of offense which resulted in Dallas kicking seven field goals. The offense didn't have any turnover that day. Who else do you want to blame for giving up 21 points???

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think a 20 yard drive is a lot, It's not as if the defense completely caved, a FG is ok. But I do expect more. Defenses rise to the occasion. Great ones do anyway. We seem to shrink at times. The FG was a time they could have rose up and just stuffed them, instead they didn't. Yeah it wasn't a TD, yay, but they gave up some pretty sizable plays in that drive to give up easy points.

Another point in the game, the offense has been floundering, ST just gave up a punt block for a TD and the offense shows some size of life and drives down the field to answer with a TD of their own to bring it back to a 1 possession game.

A perfect time for the defense to keep that momentum and shut down a pretty young offense and get the ball back. Instead they gave up a 70 yd drive where they gave up a 30+ yard run for another TD to allow the jets back up by 2 TD's.

Yes the defense makes some plays, obviously the offense is not doing their part and they need to figure it out. BUT, this defense should be better, they have the players and they do make those plays and then they just give them up just as easily. It's hard to win on defense in this league, but teams do it. And everyone was talking top 5 defense before the season started and they are far from it. I think they're capable, but they have too many let downs and despite the offensive struggles, it IS costing this team as well.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Jets defense was put in a similar situation after the Packers blocked a punt with Rodgers and the offense getting the ball on their 36-yard line. They responded by getting a three-and-out, even forcing them out of field goal range. That's what I'm looking for in an elite defense.

While the Packers defense did a great job of keeping the Cowboys out of the end zone in that game in 1996 they allowed a total of 317 yards of offense which resulted in Dallas kicking seven field goals. The offense didn't have any turnover that day. Who else do you want to blame for giving up 21 points???
Blame the offense for not possessing the football despite having Brooks, Freeman, and Chmura out and trying to play Ken Ruetgers at LT in his final appearance. I believe a penalty on 1st down pushed the Packers back before the sack. That is not because of the Jets defense. Now if they blocked another kick I would give them credit.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately if you are looking for an elite defense you need to start watching another team.

Members online

Latest posts