The Offense Lacking Comeback Mentality

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one disturbing trend I feel like has been going on for a bit with this team, over the last couple seasons. I feel like in today's league, one thing that separates the great teams from the mediocre or even good teams is the ability to comeback when facing against the wall. We saw a team win the superbowl this last year being able to do just that. When we were on our run the table run last year, I don't think we were ever trailing in any of our wins, though we did have to hold off a few comebacks by the other teams during it. I feel though like I've seen a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde Rodgers and offensive management though this year and a little bit of last year. He'll be going one series where he hits the strikes like you'd expect, but then reverts back to the 2015/early 2016 ways and looks out of sync or misfires after holding the ball too long. Some of that may be Jordy's health issues and not staying on the field enough, but I also feel like Rodgers loses his composure more often when we start falling behind just like old Favre did in his later years. Rodgers doesn't throw as many picks as Favre did, but he still seems to resort back to the backyard football tactics in those situations as opposed to just delivering the medium strikes like he did in the 2009 wildcard playoff when he at least brought the game to OT with no help from the defense. I'm wondering what it's going to take to get that mentality instilled back in him and back in this team cuz ... I gotta think before this season is up we're gonna be up against a few more punches like that.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was MM thinking by NOT on-side kicking in the 4th quarter? Trusting that the D would get the ball back 3-4 times to give the O a chance at a win? The O kept playing (which surprised me), didn't have enough chances.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I know special teams hasn't been the Packers strongest suit, but when your down 20+ points I think you should try to return a kickoff just for the chance of a big play.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a comeback to happen you need both the offense and defense to step up and make plays. Unfortunately for the Packers that's something that won't happen all too often. This isn't a team that can climb out of the grave after being down big, ALA like the Pats in the SB. We just don't have the defense that can force punts/create turnovers to flip field position against the better offenses in the league.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say it's cuz Rodgers loses his composure when he gets down by 2 TDs or more. I'd say the one difference is Favre would always let the ball fly and never take a sack even if nobody was open which resulted in all those picks. Rodgers on the other will try to make sure he's not fitting it into too tight coverage downfield and then if he can't get it there try to throw it where nobody can get it.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The mentality was there. We were just outmatched, missing 4 of our Top 10 best & most important players. In fact, if I were to make a list, Daniels, bahk, Bulaga and Jordy would prolly all be in top 5 with Rodgers.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know special teams hasn't been the Packers strongest suit, but when your down 20+ points I think you should try to return a kickoff just for the chance of a big play.

The stupid NFL killed the kickoff return. When the other team is kicking the ball 7 yards deep in the end zone you need a 32 yard return just to break even.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The stupid NFL killed the kickoff return. When the other team is kicking the ball 7 yards deep in the end zone you need a 32 yard return just to break even.

This, I think I would have the rules committee change it to kickers kicking from the 25 yardline so that they'll get their leg strength tested.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, I think I would have the rules committee change it to kickers kicking from the 25 yardline so that they'll get their leg strength tested.
I wish they would do more of what they did late in the game. Have Crosby kick it high and land it right at the goal line to force a return while giving our guys an extra second to get downfield. There's no reason we can't consistently have our opponents starting inside their 20 yard line.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one disturbing trend I feel like has been going on for a bit with this team, over the last couple seasons.

Remember the offense in 2015 when Jordy was out for the season? We lacked the ability to consistently take the top off of a defense. When you are playing for a comeback, you have to have the big strike ability or at least the personnel to threaten the big play, to keep a defense in check. That isn't solely on the skilled position players either but also the OL to give time for big plays to develop.

So looking back at last night, at the end of that game both Jordy and Cobb were with Bulaga and Bakhtiari on the sideline. To say we lacked the comeback mentality when the key components for a comeback were all standing on the sideline, is a little premature.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is one disturbing trend I feel like has been going on for a bit with this team, over the last couple seasons. I feel like in today's league, one thing that separates the great teams from the mediocre or even good teams is the ability to comeback when facing against the wall. We saw a team win the superbowl this last year being able to do just that. When we were on our run the table run last year, I don't think we were ever trailing in any of our wins, though we did have to hold off a few comebacks by the other teams during it. I feel though like I've seen a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde Rodgers and offensive management though this year and a little bit of last year. He'll be going one series where he hits the strikes like you'd expect, but then reverts back to the 2015/early 2016 ways and looks out of sync or misfires after holding the ball too long. Some of that may be Jordy's health issues and not staying on the field enough, but I also feel like Rodgers loses his composure more often when we start falling behind just like old Favre did in his later years. Rodgers doesn't throw as many picks as Favre did, but he still seems to resort back to the backyard football tactics in those situations as opposed to just delivering the medium strikes like he did in the 2009 wildcard playoff when he at least brought the game to OT with no help from the defense. I'm wondering what it's going to take to get that mentality instilled back in him and back in this team cuz ... I gotta think before this season is up we're gonna be up against a few more punches like that.

You definitely have a wrong impression about it though as the Packers are tied for seventh in the league in wins after trailing by at least 14 points in a game since Rodgers became the starter in 2008. That's especially impressive as only two teams were down by two scores at any point in less contests as Green Bay over the past nine plus seasons.

The league changed the kickoff rules because of their new emphasis on player safety.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You definitely have a wrong impression about it though as the Packers are tied for seventh in the league in wins after trailing by at least 14 points in a game since Rodgers became the starter in 2008. That's especially impressive as only two teams were down by two scores at any point in less contests as Green Bay over the past nine plus seasons.

The league changed the kickoff rules because of their new emphasis on player safety.
Oh stop it with your stats, captain. They're immaterial. :ninja:

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way, Rodgers had better not give Cincy any of those easy burgers that he gave Seattle early on or ATL right before the half. The Bungles may be bad, but you give them a break like that and they're bound to exploit it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Punt returns are far more dangerous plays than kick returns. On kick returns the returner has plenty of time to see the defense coming. Not so much on punts.

Reaction score
I still say it's cuz Rodgers loses his composure when he gets down by 2 TDs or more. I'd say the one difference is Favre would always let the ball fly and never take a sack even if nobody was open which resulted in all those picks. Rodgers on the other will try to make sure he's not fitting it into too tight coverage downfield and then if he can't get it there try to throw it where nobody can get it.
live by the sword.. die by the sword

Reaction score
I wonder if this is not in and of itself, though, indicative of how little we have come to expect from our defense over the years of the current FO regime. Only two teams in the NFL - down by 14 points or more - more often than us.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Apparently you missed when I said "the last couple seasons."

2. It was still a stupid thing to do.

Also, I wish MM would come up with 5 Wide Packages that utilize Kendricks as a wideout just like he used to do with Jermichael Finley.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Punt returns are far more dangerous plays than kick returns. On kick returns the returner has plenty of time to see the defense coming. Not so much on punts.
It wasn't the returner injuries that were the concern. It is the blockers, the guys setup to absorb a kamikaze attack of someone their size running full tilt into them. On punts, the blockers are running back with the defender. Less collision impact.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's probably why fair catches get called more so than ever now even with room to run.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
only two teams were down by two scores at any point in less contests as Green Bay over the past nine plus seasons.

I wonder if this is not in and of itself, though, indicative of how little we have come to expect from our defense over the years of the current FO regime. Only two teams in the NFL - down by 14 points or more - more often than us.

Am I reading Capt wrong here? It seems to be the opposite of what you are saying.

Reaction score
Am I reading Capt wrong here? It seems to be the opposite of what you are saying.
It was probably me lol. I found the idea shocking, but I've learned to trust Capt's stats the majority of the time and didn't look it up. Thus, it's likely I read incorrectly and that is why it was surprising.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't the returner injuries that were the concern. It is the blockers, the guys setup to absorb a kamikaze attack of someone their size running full tilt into them. On punts, the blockers are running back with the defender. Less collision impact.

This is true. However, it's true on almost every play, particularly running plays. Guys are blocking safeties and linebackers running full tilt all the time. I mean, this is football, not croquet.

Members online

Latest posts