The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Reaction score
Where did you find that Love was a consensus #22 pick in 2020? I didn't see his name in many articles about first round QBs in 2020, and the first time I heard his name is when GB drafted him. Jordan Who?
Correction. I think I said #22 it was #24, but anyway you can see where he was floating just before the draft. A popular guess was Love to the Chargers

Now if you knew exactly zero about Football and you were looking at WR.. maybe QB if they presented themselves. Jordan Love and Tee Higgins (the popular argument we see in here) both just slipped past #25 overall.. I’ll trust you will be as objective as possible..
which would you choose?

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did you find that Love was a consensus #22 pick in 2020? I didn't see his name in many articles about first round QBs in 2020, and the first time I heard his name is when GB drafted him. Jordan Who?

I agree that he should be starting for the next two years.

But at the time of the 2020 draft, I think the collective response from Packer Nation was "WTF just happened?"

Jordan Love was a concensus Top 50 across the board prospect from anyone worth a grain of salt scouting and projecting wise. Some had him as high as their number 2 QB that year.

Zero offense but if his name wasn’t familiar to someone before Green Bay picked him it is one of two reasons - they simply don’t know or pay attention or prospects or they were so focused on non QB prospects they simply avoided knowledge of him.

Reaction score
Jordan Love was a concensus Top 50 across the board prospect from anyone worth a grain of salt scouting and projecting wise. Some had him as high as their number 2 QB that year.

Zero offense but if his name wasn’t familiar to someone before Green Bay picked him it is one of two reasons - they simply don’t know or pay attention or prospects or they were so focused on non QB prospects they simply avoided knowledge of him.
When I was doing my Mocks and researching, I actually saw someone Mock Jordan to GB’s natural selection. Not only did they pick the player and team and Round, they were just 4 spots off as they didn’t guess the trade up. It’s still a pretty impressive guess (CBSsports?)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But at the time of the 2020 draft, I think the collective response from Packer Nation was "WTF just happened?"
I knew who Love was, and I was definitely one of the people who said WTF just happened.

Reaction score
You guys are killing me! :laugh:

I will admit at the time I was very surprised at picking a QB. Yet once my initial discouragement waned (I was praying for a WR) I know that I know that Brian and his staff thought through that 1st Round a Thousand different ways. There’s no way he’s spending a Day 1 selection at QB unless they feel there’s a legitimate chance at getting a really good one. That doesn’t guarantee anything, but our staff at least thought Jordan was “a deal” at #26 overall. The Packers very likely had Love pegged in that low #20’s area (or possibly teens) or imo they likely don’t spend 2 selections to draft him. That tells me they know something we don’t and I think our Staff had been following Jordan Love very closely during and after his breakout Sophomore college season.

If we recall. There was also a run at WR just before our selection of Love similar to 2022 at WR. We weren’t the only team to rate Mims and Higgins later and not want to reach. Every last team of the 32 passed on both of the next 2 consensus ranked WR’s until later. No GM is going to take a guy he might have at #35 overall etc.. over another player ranked at #20 etc. It takes intestinal fortitude to get that gutsy, I kinda respect that tough call. You’ll never be a great GM until you pull a Ron Wolf and get your QB, no matter how controversial it gets.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Leroy Butler actually said don’t be surprised if Love was picked

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

The Utah State product is a boom-or-bust QB in every sense of the phrase—but that won’t necessarily stop a franchise from taking him in the top 10

Reaction score
I think the biggest obstacle was Love was relatively raw as he only had 1 solid season (2018) and then 2019 brought a total rebuild. Then he declared as a Junior. Had Utah State not had a full coaching and full personnel change (9 Offensive players in 2019) then Love is possibly a consensus top 10. That’s the gamble. Was 2018 a total fluke and Love just got totally lucky? That will be determine soon.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't care what PFR says personally - especially if they don't weight their criteria based on number of picks and level of picks either, of Gute's draft really only three of the classes are 3 or more years removed from their drafts, the general concensus of when you really know, and another at 2 of course. I've broken this all down before but let's look at in this time span say Gute's arguably confirmed best guys:

Actually I was the one compiling the list. While I'm well aware that it's far from perfect but in my opinion it's more informative than just listing the players the Packers have selected since Gutekunst took over as general manager while not analyzing other teams around the league.

Jaire / Jenkins / Gary...and then many multi-year starter level like MVS / Runyan / Dillon / Savage...and this is without what Stokes / Wyatt / Walker / Watson / Doubs all become....and of course without this year's draft.

Didn't check them all but just spot checking some above them:

Let's look at just a few of the teams ahead of them.... Vikings since 2018....IMO 2018 and 2019 none deserve being listed other than a stretch for Irv Smith Jr. Of course 2020 they have Jefferson as the front runner, Cleveland and Dantzler.....if we go into 2021 Darrisaw is probably one you list but honestly outside of 2020 and the top dog Jefferson collectively easily IMO ignorant to put them ahead of GB.

Lions.....2018 zilch to note, 2019 Hockenson for sure worthy of being mentioned, 2020 has Okuda and Swift and then if we slip into 2021 the one we know for sure worth noting is Amon-Ra...and Penei appears to be for sure a starting T in the league (I don't see the elite level many thought but dude starts on any team across the league most likely at LT or RT). Don't see them crazy better.

According to PFR here are the top 10 players out of the Packers, Vikings and Lions drafted since 2018 ranked by total approximate value:

Justin Jefferson (MIN, WR) 39
Brian O'Neill (MIN, OL) 37
Frank Ragnow (DET, OL) 32
Elgton Jenkins (GB, OL) 31
Jaire Alexander (GB, CB) 30
Garrett Bradburry (MIN, OL) 23
Amon-Ra St. Brown (DET, WR) 21
Jonah Jackson (DET, OL) 21
D'Andre Swift (DET, RB) 20
Penei Sewell (DET, OL) 20

Beyond that you and I don’t know the full spectrum of disgruntlement that was going on behind closed doors. Aaron’s discontent was already set in motion. It was propelled by players (and close friends) departing, such as Jordy Nelson (2018) and Randall Cobb (2019)

While Rodgers definitely didn't like the way some veterans were treated by the team on the way out it seems to be pretty obvious that selecting Love was the main culprit in the relationship with the front office breaking.

After Aaron Rodgers started, The Packers selected exactly Zero QB’s across 11 Drafts inside of the first 4 Draft Rounds until the selection of Jordan Love. We took just 2 QB’s across those 11 drafts
2012 #243 overall BJ Coleman
2015 #147 overall Brett Hundley

The Packers had a QB that would be turning 37yrs old during the 2020 season and had 2 of his worst 3 statistical seasons (CONSECUTIVE) across those 12 seasons. Not only had GB largely ignored draft resources at QB across those 11 seasons, it actually set a Green Bay Packer franchise record for the LEAST amount of draft expenditures spent at the QB position across an 11 year spectrum going back to the inception of the NFL draft. When we’re they supposed to draft a QB? When Rodgers decided to bail out last second? 2023??

GB was not going to pass on a QB they thought could be groomed as the heir apparent when he fell past his consensus #22 overall draft grade. Especially not to keep a few fans happy and go after a positional need and ignore BAP.

I would have been fine with the Packers taking a chance on a quarterback on day three of the 2020 draft. In my opinion there was no need to use a first rounder on the position though.

I just struggle with folks hardlining on both extremes...

Capt says there was zero need in a declarative definitive manner - which is just false in numerous ways, even if it is just purely by the fact they may have very well saw a massively higher rated BPA drop to the position they did...that is something all GMs need to make happen when they do.

In my opinion Rodgers winning the MVP twice after Love was selected strongly indicates there was no need to use a first rounder on the position in 2020.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will admit at the time I was very surprised at picking a QB. Yet once my initial discouragement waned (I was praying for a WR) I know that I know that Brian and his staff thought through that 1st Round a Thousand different ways. There’s no way he’s spending a Day 1 selection at QB unless they feel there’s a legitimate chance at getting a really good one. That doesn’t guarantee anything, but our staff at least thought Jordan was “a deal” at #26 overall. The Packers very likely had Love pegged in that low #20’s area (or possibly teens) or imo they likely don’t spend 2 selections to draft him. That tells me they know something we don’t and I think our Staff had been following Jordan Love very closely during and after his breakout Sophomore college season.

If we recall. There was also a run at WR just before our selection of Love similar to 2022 at WR. We weren’t the only team to rate Mims and Higgins later and not want to reach. Every last team of the 32 passed on both of the next 2 consensus ranked WR’s until later. No GM is going to take a guy he might have at #35 overall etc.. over another player ranked at #20 etc. It takes intestinal fortitude to get that gutsy, I kinda respect that tough call. You’ll never be a great GM until you pull a Ron Wolf and get your QB, no matter how controversial it gets.
So there is a group that has the opinion that
1. Gute had Love ranked too high.
2. That Love was not BPA.
3. That QB was not a position of need.
IMO it is not wrong for us to voice that opinion on a message board, just like it is not for you and others to voice an opposing position or opinion. If the consensus is too just say the FO knows more than me ( which is true, even more than Capt.) what is the sense in having an opinion. I can only speak for myself, but I do not bad mouth every pick that did not work out.
I do not say WTF when they take a guy in the 7th round who does not make the team. I do not advocate for Gute to be fired. I know the percentages for impact players. I just give my opinion on the subjects being discussed.
FTR a small part of this was TIC.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correction. I think I said #22 it was #24, but anyway you can see where he was floating just before the draft. A popular guess was Love to the Chargers

Now if you knew exactly zero about Football and you were looking at WR.. maybe QB if they presented themselves. Jordan Love and Tee Higgins (the popular argument we see in here) both just slipped past #25 overall.. I’ll trust you will be as objective as possible..
which would you choose?
Wow, thanks this is very interesting. At the time, I would not have taken Higgins in round 1. Looking at it from Gluten's POV, Rodgers looked to be declining. I don't blame Gluten for taking Love. I blame Gluten for not having the courtesy to let Rodgers know. That was just bad form. Rodgers is still an arrogant jerk, but based on his play for the franchise, he deserved to be informed. And I'm not suggesting Gluten should have asked him for permission. That's ********.

And in 2020, there were plenty of good WRs to be had in round 1. They were all picked ahead of GB's spot unfortunately.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew who Love was, and I was definitely one of the people who said WTF just happened.
Gluten seemed convinced Rodgers was declining and it was time to strike for a QB in the draft. Hindsight is 20/20 and I doubt that anyone saw another MVP season from Rodgers, much less two.

Reaction score
While Rodgers definitely didn't like the way some veterans were treated by the team on the way out it seems to be pretty obvious that selecting Love was the main culprit in the relationship with the front office breaking.
No doubt about it. I’ve always said communication (on both sides) could solved a lot of hurts.
I would have been fine with the Packers taking a chance on a quarterback on day three of the 2020 draft. In my opinion there was no need to use a first rounder on the position though.
Day 3 rarely gets you a franchise QB. I don’t believe Brian wasn’t looking for a career backup or QB3. Although had Love been drafted elsewhere? Imo there’s a 50/50 chance we still took one in Day 3 as you said as it had been 5 drafts. However here Brian specifically said they didn’t have any other player rated nearly as high pre draft. Therefore I commend the staff for sticking to their game plan.
In my opinion Rodgers winning the MVP twice after Love was selected strongly indicates there was no need to use a first rounder on the position in 2020.
While that is true. It’s 100% hindsight and thus not a valid argument pre draft 2020. He was arguably wrong in a short term philosophy (we don’t even 100% know he would’ve taken a WR in Day1 no one else did after #25) but yet to be determined in medium to long term.
IMO it is not wrong for us to voice that opinion on a message board, just like it is not for you and others to voice an opposing position or opinion.
I only disagreed strongly with your opinion and you’ve obviously disagreed with mine as well. That’s all. I apologize if it’s felt personal or your voice felt unworthy, that was never my intent. Listen, we are guys and guys like to spar, it’s our innate nature. Most of the time that ends in a better friendship because it’s called respecting someone else who sticks to their guns. I respect you Schultz. I don’t care that we are more often opponents in the methodology of roster building etc. If we were in a bunker together I’d probably want you in there also because you’re stubborn like me. Stubborn can overcome anything.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I was the one compiling the list. While I'm well aware that it's far from perfect but in my opinion it's more informative than just listing the players the Packers have selected since Gutekunst took over as general manager while not analyzing other teams around the league.

According to PFR here are the top 10 players out of the Packers, Vikings and Lions drafted since 2018 ranked by total approximate value:

Justin Jefferson (MIN, WR) 39
Brian O'Neill (MIN, OL) 37
Frank Ragnow (DET, OL) 32
Elgton Jenkins (GB, OL) 31
Jaire Alexander (GB, CB) 30
Garrett Bradburry (MIN, OL) 23
Amon-Ra St. Brown (DET, WR) 21
Jonah Jackson (DET, OL) 21
D'Andre Swift (DET, RB) 20
Penei Sewell (DET, OL) 20

Of course hundsight bats 1.000 and always will - Gute and them however didn’t have that knowledge then.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Only true if you pay zero attention to draft prospects. Mel Kiper said he had the best arm skills in the entire 2020 QB class, which included Burrow, Hurts, Tagovailoa, and Herbert.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I suspect they had him pegged as a top 10 talent. I became convinced when I saw the tape of him at Utah State. He made some elite NFL level plays that the majority of NFL QB's can't make.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They absolutely were not making that move - the media **** storm that would have caused would have made no logical sense. Especially if both sides knew the beginning of the end was already somewhat felt.
And the same would have been said if the Packers had started Rodgers over Favre. And in deja vu fashion each veteran was traded to the Jets so a new kid on the block would be the one and only starter.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your last words speak volumes.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good points Amish. The best example of a totally needless pic was when the Vikings played the Saints in the NFCCG, I think it was 2008 or 2009. The Vikes were in range and only needed a FG to win. For some reason, a pass was called or Favre audibles to it. No one was open and all he had to do was fall down. Nope, he threw a short pass with no upside even if it was caught. Well it was caught, by the Saints and they went on to win the SB.

And then he threw a game ending pic against the Giants in OT, again in the NFCCG at Lambeau. The Giants went on to win on a bitter cold night and then they won the SB.

And it's disgusting to steal from anyone, but the poor? Maybe he didn't know initially what was going on. He is not an intellectual. But by now he knows and I don't recall any public apology or return of funds. Maybe that has happened, but it's a huge and deserved cloud over his HOF head.

That one against the Giants was so bad...Driver was wide open and Faver threw the ball right to corey webster instead smh

He also ended a playoff loss to the Eagles with a terrible pick and tgrew like 6 against the Rams once in the playoffs

Everyone loves gunslinger favre byt yeah it was all the srupid picks. Rodgers, I think made a decision, he wasnt going to ve soing that. But in my opinion, Rodgers could of borrowed a little of that gunslinger mentality favre went overboard with

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That one against the Giants was so bad...Driver was wide open and Faver threw the ball right to corey webster instead smh

He also ended a playoff loss to the Eagles with a terrible pick and tgrew like 6 against the Rams once in the playoffs

Everyone loves gunslinger favre byt yeah it was all the srupid picks. Rodgers, I think made a decision, he wasnt going to ve soing that. But in my opinion, Rodgers could of borrowed a little of that gunslinger mentality favre went overboard with
Before the game when the team was about to come out of the tunnel, all the players were getting pumped up and excited. Except Favre stood there with a slouched posture, hands in pocket, and a look on his face like he didn't want to be there. I told my friends we already lost the game, they should put Rodgers in if we wanted any chance. I think that last INT was Favre not wanting to be out there anymore. If our WR catches it and we win, great. If it gets picked, that's fine too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the game when the team was about to come out of the tunnel, all the players were getting pumped up and excited. Except Favre stood there with a slouched posture, hands in pocket, and a look on his face like he didn't want to be there. I told my friends we already lost the game, they should put Rodgers in if we wanted any chance. I think that last INT was Favre not wanting to be out there anymore. If our WR catches it and we win, great. If it gets picked, that's fine too.
Interesting. And that’s entirely possible with Favre. And it was COLD that night.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gotta be every GM's dream to draft or otherwise acquire a future HOF QB. It's the most important position on the team. I didn't like the Love pick. Regardless, I hope Gluten was right.
Yes. We are here with it in 2023 and maybe beyond.

Reaction score
Yes. We are here with it in 2023 and maybe beyond.
We weren’t getting it done with the best QB on the field nearly every season. We’ll get lots of excuses but about half of the problem was the Offense not performing to expectation in the playoffs.

I’m really hoping this Defense can get a little closer to expectations. If it does? We could fall right into 9-10 Wins and a playoff birth. If we can run the ball effectively and hold teams under 19.0 per contest, we might be surprised and Win at a good click. (8-9 games etc)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts