The Final Lull....Key Dates As We Head Towards 2022 To Keep Eye On

Reaction score
Sort of yes. If the Packers cut Rodgers or Cobb or a Smith or.....they don't get anything in the plus column for 2023 comp picks. Now if Adams, MVS, Tonyan, etc....sign with a new team, they are free agents, whose contracts with the Packers expired and thus count towards calculating potential 2023 comp. picks.
What about retirement?

Did we get a comp for Raji etc.. I don’t recall but I’m assuming not because he wasn’t lost to FA

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would have to play out his current contract and then walk away in 2023, for the Packers to only get a potential 3rd round comp pick. That would be scenario #4 and least likely to happen.

Yes, aware of that.

Why I also said it was the worst scenario in my mind. I'd rather have him here long term or traded for a ton, not walking away with only a single draft pick as compensation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now if Rodgers wants to stay, the Cobb "decision" is no longer a one way decision. They would need to approach Randall and say "Aaron is staying, we want to rework your current contract and do this......are you on board?" We are now talking about a task that involves more decisions, decisions by people other than the Packer front office. I could list quite a few of these and they all involve time, pondering and negotiations, something Rodgers will have effectively pushed into a very tiny window of time to happen, due to him taking his own sweet time letting the Packers know what HE wants to do.

Why do you believe the Packers have to wait until Rodgers' decision to talk to other players??? I guarantee that they have had conversations with Cobb about their plans with him either if Rodgers returns or not.

Add to that mess is the complication of trying to wrestle with cap numbers, not knowing what Rodgers number will be and thus, what they will have to do to with other players.

The Packers know that they will save approximately $20 million of cap space no matter if Rodgers returns or not.

There are actually 4 scenarios that the Packers are working through, but lets stick to this analogy. So yes, you just put planning in for 3-4 trips, only 1 which you will actually take. What a fricking waste of time, but I guess its worth it, since you have decided that this trip is really worth all the hassle of multiple planning scenarios as well as waiting. Now had you known your actual destination one month ahead, you could have booked the car, the flight, the Air BnB's/Hotels, etc. But you have that all on hold because if you aren't going there, why book something you can't cancel? Remember, you are on a capped budget. So a month goes by while you wait, do you think everyone else (car rental, hotel, etc.) you are dealing with in regards to your 3-4 potential destinations have penciled you in and those reservations will be waiting for you when you know your actual plans? Finally the call comes, you are going to the Isle of Arran off the west coast of Scotland! Super.....now lets start making those calls to finalize the trip! Wait, what....the flight you wanted is full and the one remaining is a day later and twice as much!!? The 4 air BnB's you had picked out of 30, are all booked? Compact car instead of the Van you wanted for your family of 8? Suddenly you realize that you are close to your spending limit and you hadn't even thought about food. Looks like you are in for a chaotic week of scrambling to put that trip together and the final results, may reflect that.

This is a terrible analogy. Just because the Packers (just like every other team in the league) haven't made any signings over the past few weeks doesn't result in the players getting any more expensive or them having signed with another team.

I used to think that him retiring was the worst option, I think the worst option is being a lame duck QB with him playing out and then leaving. I'd rather just trade him and get assets rather than him leaving and getting a 3rd rounder. Allowing that to happen would be incredibly stupid.

He would have to play out his current contract and then walk away in 2023, for the Packers to only get a potential 3rd round comp pick. That would be scenario #4 and least likely to happen.

In that Somehow Rodgers forces the Packers to play him on his current contract, forces his way into camp and sucks us cap dry and leaves us penniless in draft resources.

I guarantee that something will be done about Rodgers' contract before March 16th, 4pm ET.

What about retirement?

Did we get a comp for Raji etc.. I don’t recall but I’m assuming not because he wasn’t lost to FA

A team won't receive a compensatory pick for a player who has retired.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are actually 4 scenarios that the Packers are working through, but lets stick to this analogy. So yes, you just put planning in for 3-4 trips, only 1 which you will actually take. What a fricking waste of time, but I guess its worth it, since you have decided that this trip is really worth all the hassle of multiple planning scenarios as well as waiting. Now had you known your actual destination one month ahead, you could have booked the car, the flight, the Air BnB's/Hotels, etc. But you have that all on hold because if you aren't going there, why book something you can't cancel? Remember, you are on a capped budget. So a month goes by while you wait, do you think everyone else (car rental, hotel, etc.) you are dealing with in regards to your 3-4 potential destinations have penciled you in and those reservations will be waiting for you when you know your actual plans? Finally the call comes, you are going to the Isle of Arran off the west coast of Scotland! Super.....now lets start making those calls to finalize the trip! Wait, what....the flight you wanted is full and the one remaining is a day later and twice as much!!? The 4 air BnB's you had picked out of 30, are all booked? Compact car instead of the Van you wanted for your family of 8? Suddenly you realize that you are close to your spending limit and you hadn't even thought about food. Looks like you are in for a chaotic week of scrambling to put that trip together and the final results, may reflect that.

I don't subscribe to JSM, but I have a feeling I know what Silverstein is saying in this article, I might just have to pay to read it. :)

Where you analogy falls short is that in the case with Rodgers no flights are filled. All the flights that were available before are still available. The 4 air BnBs are still available and so is the van. Rodgers' delay has not removed a single option from the Packers decision tree. Everything they could have done a month ago they can still do.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Where you analogy falls short is that in the case with Rodgers no flights are filled. All the flights that were available before are still available. The 4 air BnBs are still available and so is the van. Rodgers' delay has not removed a single option from the Packers decision tree. Everything they could have done a month ago they can still do.
I'm going to agree to disagree with all of those thinking Rodgers decision hasn't put the Packers on hold to make some other decisions.

I will however keep believing what Gute and Packer reporters in Green Bay have said repeatedly about the subject.

Reaction score
Thank You for validating that
Why do you believe the Packers have to wait until Rodgers' decision to talk to other players??? I guarantee that they have had conversations with Cobb about their plans with him either if Rodgers returns or not.
I suppose it’s a possibility that our FO could work a deal out with Cobb without involving the knowledge of who’s playing QB. Yet I don’t think that’s very wise or even preferable.
Knowing which QB is under Center and where your draft and Cap resources are is detrimental in building a team Roster. I’m not sure why that’s so hard for some to grasp

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers know that they will save approximately $20 million of cap space no matter if Rodgers returns or not.

This is a terrible analogy. Just because the Packers (just like every other team in the league) haven't made any signings over the past few weeks doesn't result in the players getting any more expensive or them having signed with another team.

I guarantee that something will be done about Rodgers' contract before March 16th, 4pm ET.

you keep making a lot of the points i've been trying to, so thank you :)

why do people think the Packers are waiting on Rodgers for someone like Cobb? I mean he's a WR near the end who's had injury problems in the past, was injured and out or ineffective for pretty much everything but the start of the season last year and going to get paid 9-10M dollars this year. I promise you, conversations about changing that number started as soon as the season ended. It had to happen and was going to. Anybody think there wasn't going to be talks on that?

and Capt made my point again, NOBODY is signing anybody at this point. Agents are going to bluff or negotiate up until the deadline and teams don't call bluffs or balk until it gets closer. Nobody is getting more expensive because they weren't signed yesterday as opposed to last week monday. They got more expensive when they didn't sign an extension during the season.

Does this mean Rodgers decision is holding up the entire league? Team A can't make their moves because they don't know if they need to keep the draft picks to trade for Rodgers. Team C can't make a decision because it affects A and they have a plan with A. No team is signing anybody of note, Frickin' Rodgers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am no fan of Florio but he does a solid job of explaining why Green Bay can say "no one has called us" without lying but Rodgers' camp able to say deals are worked out with possible other camps -

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am no fan of Florio but he does a solid job of explaining why Green Bay can say "no one has called us" without lying but Rodgers' camp able to say deals are worked out with possible other camps -

I still think the best QB for the Packers for the next three years is Aaron Rodgers but I will admit that the idea of moving on and getting a bunch of picks is gaining momentum in my mind.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think the best QB for the Packers for the next three years is Aaron Rodgers but I will admit that the idea of moving on and getting a bunch of picks is gaining momentum in my mind.

I've come to peace there is no perfect outcome here - I'll rejoice having Aaron Rodgers the QB back if he is, and I'll rejoice at the anticipation a rebuild and tons of picks causes too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've come to peace there is no perfect outcome here - I'll rejoice having Aaron Rodgers the QB back if he is, and I'll rejoice at the anticipation a rebuild and tons of picks causes too
Just think of how much fun the draft could be if we have 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks, after both Rodgers and Adams are traded and that is just in 2022. :coffee:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good thing is that no matter how it turns out one side will always be able to say I told you so ensuring that we have a plethora of controversial topics in the coming months/years. No boring down time for packerforum.com

Just think of how much fun the draft could be if we have 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks, after both Rodgers and Adams are traded and that is just in 2022. :coffee:

Now that just might get me to switch sides. We could trade all of them to the Jags and take the best QB in the draft to come in and compete with Love. Or, if we traded Love as well we could get the best QB and a long snapper with the 6th rounder we get for him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports are now saying that Pittsburgh has communicated to Rodgers's agent what they would pay and what they would send to Packers for compensation. It is as Florio said and I felt as well - conversations right now are between Rodgers/Agent and these teams with the blessing of the Packers who already have told Rodgers these are the teams we will trade you to and this is what we want back; discuss all you want within those frames.

I think Rodgers would be dumb to not desire to possibly go to Denver with a young talent loaded roster with money for more moves...but who knows.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those of you that have been getting annoyed with those of us getting annoyed with Rodgers not deciding yet, IF tomorrow comes and goes and he hasn't decided - the day he actually said he would for sure decide by given the tagging deadline - will you finally admit this is all just stupid and Rodgers enjoys drama far too much? LOL :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when all is said and done and it turns out Rodgers didn't want to be here and we had to play these games, yes I'll be annoyed. When it's all said and done and Rodgers is still here and none of that other stuff came to fruition again, I'll chalk it up to the media keeping people talking and people falling for it again.

But until then, i'm not defending rodgers as much as I am the position that, it isn't really hampering GB at this stage of the game. Mid march gets here and FA is starting, yeah its hurting, now when nothing is happening? Not really.

But if he's really having that much angst about continuing to play here, let's just get him gone. If it's all media hype again, i'm happy not to pay too much attention to it outside of this message board. Either way, tell me when it's over :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I suppose it’s a possibility that our FO could work a deal out with Cobb without involving the knowledge of who’s playing QB. Yet I don’t think that’s very wise or even preferable.

I guarantee that the Packers front office has been in contact with Cobb and explained the situation with different scenarios having been proposed to him either if Rodgers is back or not. Once the quarterback has made his decision they will come back to Cobb and make a decision in accordance with the options outlined before.

Knowing which QB is under Center and where your draft and Cap resources are is detrimental in building a team Roster. I’m not sure why that’s so hard for some to grasp

For the umpteenth time, the Packers know exactly they will save approximately $20 million of cap space no matter if Rodgers will be back or not. I agree their approach to free agency and the draft will change depending on his decision but there's still more than a week to go before the start of the new league year (and significantly longer until the draft). In addition other teams haven't told them about their intentions either, something that will have an effect on their decision as well.

Reports are now saying that Pittsburgh has communicated to Rodgers's agent what they would pay and what they would send to Packers for compensation. It is as Florio said and I felt as well - conversations right now are between Rodgers/Agent and these teams with the blessing of the Packers who already have told Rodgers these are the teams we will trade you to and this is what we want back; discuss all you want within those frames.

I haven't read anything about the Packers allowing Rodgers to explore trade scenarios. With that being said the Steelers would be guilty of tampering.

Those of you that have been getting annoyed with those of us getting annoyed with Rodgers not deciding yet, IF tomorrow comes and goes and he hasn't decided - the day he actually said he would for sure decide by given the tagging deadline - will you finally admit this is all just stupid and Rodgers enjoys drama far too much? LOL :)

I would be annoyed if the situation is resolved until the start of the new league year. Until then there's no reason for it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't read anything about the Packers allowing Rodgers to explore trade scenarios. With that being said the Steelers would be guilty of tampering.

It doesn't have to be formally released to the media, how do you think the moment FA window opens signings or moves are announced faster than John Ross ran the 40...

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't have to be formally released to the media, how do you think the moment FA window opens signings or moves are announced faster than John Ross ran the 40...

Once again, teams are allowed to talk to free agents starting at noon on March 14th before being allowed to sign them on March 16th, at 4:00 pm.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, teams are allowed to talk to free agents starting at noon on March 14th before being allowed to sign them on March 16th, at 4:00 pm.

I get that, however a team can allow a player's agent to talk with teams. I have zero doubt this is what has been occurring and we are now just presently waiting to hear where Rodgers and what deal he wishes to take honestly. He knows what the Packers are willing to pay, he also knows either exact or close to what a couple others are willing to do (Broncos and Steelers for sure are in this group)...when the season ended I was more on the side he is returning for sure, the longer his decision has loomed the less likely I think it is; especially for something he kept categorizing as it not being a long process, will come fairly quickly, before the franchise tagging and bunch of other phrases that made it seem it wouldn't draw out this long.

Him letting it get so close to the tagging window, the "unofficial" deadline he brought up himself tells me two things that are true (to whatever level each are no one but Aaron knows): He truly is torn as reports have said and he loves the chaos he can cause.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Him letting it get so close to the tagging window, the "unofficial" deadline he brought up himself tells me two things that are true (to whatever level each are no one but Aaron knows): He truly is torn as reports have said and he loves the chaos he can cause.

Spot on.

This is probably the reason I am so fired up about this situation, along with the fact that it is the second time he has pulled this crap in less than a year. Rodgers is once again putting himself squarely ahead of his team and his teammates. This after being so critical last year of the front office and the way they treat players.

While I am done debating this with people, since they are very much entitled to their opinion of Rodgers, I am also done trying to convince myself that Rodgers is not a self centered drama queen, that fully loves a spotlight squarely on him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on.

This is probably the reason I am so fired up about this situation, along with the fact that it is the second time he has pulled this crap in less than a year. Rodgers is once again putting himself squarely ahead of his team and his teammates. This after being so critical last year of the front office and the way they treat players.

While I am done debating this with people, since they are very much entitled to their opinion of Rodgers, I am also done trying to convince myself that Rodgers is not a self centered drama queen, that fully loves a spotlight squarely on him.

IF there is team fallout or issues none have been seen or noticeable as far as I have seen - so that aspect of things I think is more from personal perspective as to how we would take these stunts. IF I were a teammate I sense I'd be like Jennings in many ways, not nearly as petty, but I would never allow it to be known during my time as a teammate but once gone I'd probably express how I always felt it was ridiculous or that he was an attention diva of sorts.

However, until it becomes a confirmed issue in the locker room I'll chalk it up as while Aaron may have some negative personality traits, but being a callous or locker room issue is not one of them at all however so.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you guys are all too willing to help him in his endeavor. He might be, he might truly just be conflicted. It happens when people get near the end of something, good people, bad people, selfless people, selfish people, it happens. I don't know what he is, never met him. I know he can play QB pretty well and I'm fine with it.

He no longer becomes a drama queen when people stop reacting this way all the time. The only way he "hurts" the Packers is if he's not their QB anymore. You don't just replace one of the all time best and move on. as for the rest? again, he's done or said nothing. Again it's all media reports. He's told you time and time again stop believing everything you read and every single time the vast majority react on the media reports.

So I see 2 options. Either he is what you say he is and you despise him for it, so the solution is to quit giving him what he craves. or #2 or keep doing what happens every year. As long as everyone keeps choosing #2 we'll never really know. I tend to think Rodgers is not nearly what some of you think he is. I think he's more quiet and reserved and likes to keep things that don't really concern you, away from you.

Just like last year, the rift with the FO was happening pretty much right after the last game. People around the situation knew it, guys in the media knew it. But nothing happened until someone wanted to make it something on draft night. IF Rodgers was the attention seeking media junky with a touch of queen in him, HE would have been behind the reports, HE would have leaked things, HE would have said something sooner, HE would have pulled some media strings. Yet he didn't.

He didn't say anything in between when the rift happened. He didn't draw any attention to himself. The media did, again. And when everyone was saying all the bad things about him day after day after day, he was true to himself again and did not play anything out in the media and they took care of it all like adults behind closed doors. When all was said and done he came out had his presser and it was pretty straighforward IMO. Not much funny business. Doesn't seem like a guy playing games. I do know a lot of people do thrive on creating drama around him though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
However, until it becomes a confirmed issue in the locker room I'll chalk it up as while Aaron may have some negative personality traits being a callous or locker room issue is not one of them at all however so.

Agreed. Reminds me of a certain situation going on in the world today. Nobody wants to push him to the brink, afraid that he just might go full tilt and send all of his ire our way and make the situation even worse. So we put up with his BS, knowing that if you have him in your corner, you are far better off than having to go against him.

I fully expect Rodgers to be a first time ballot HOF'er, but I don't think that history will paint a real favorable picture of his personality off the field. Packer fans will continue to adore him, the player, but if he ever choses to play for another team, especially after this year, I can see most Packer fans flipping on him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you guys are all too willing to help him in his endeavor. He might be, he might truly just be conflicted. It happens when people get near the end of something, good people, bad people, selfless people, selfish people, it happens. I don't know what he is, never met him. I know he can play QB pretty well and I'm fine with it.

He no longer becomes a drama queen when people stop reacting this way all the time. The only way he "hurts" the Packers is if he's not their QB anymore. You don't just replace one of the all time best and move on. as for the rest? again, he's done or said nothing. Again it's all media reports. He's told you time and time again stop believing everything you read and every single time the vast majority react on the media reports.

So I see 2 options. Either he is what you say he is and you despise him for it, so the solution is to quit giving him what he craves. or #2 or keep doing what happens every year. As long as everyone keeps choosing #2 we'll never really know. I tend to think Rodgers is not nearly what some of you think he is. I think he's more quiet and reserved and likes to keep things that don't really concern you, away from you.

Just like last year, the rift with the FO was happening pretty much right after the last game. People around the situation knew it, guys in the media knew it. But nothing happened until someone wanted to make it something on draft night. IF Rodgers was the attention seeking media junky with a touch of queen in him, HE would have been behind the reports, HE would have leaked things, HE would have said something sooner, HE would have pulled some media strings. Yet he didn't.

He didn't say anything in between when the rift happened. He didn't draw any attention to himself. The media did, again. And when everyone was saying all the bad things about him day after day after day, he was true to himself again and did not play anything out in the media and they took care of it all like adults behind closed doors. When all was said and done he came out had his presser and it was pretty straighforward IMO. Not much funny business. Doesn't seem like a guy playing games. I do know a lot of people do thrive on creating drama around him though.

LMAO....if you don't think Rodgers camp is behind some of the leaks I fear you may have way too much blind faith in him.

I could timeline a lot of the happenings of the last two years but it wouldn't matter, could post quotes from him or times where he slipped into philosophical narratives when confronted with questions on Pat's show (which is when I love Aaron the most because I feel he is quite comfortable and at ease) - he evades truths and direct answers VERY well and honestly would make an insanely good politician because of it. I don't believe Aaron in real life and if you were just hanging with him at a bar, golf course or what not away from "work" he is a bad guy; I do strongly believe he is a guy that fame, fortune and the business side of things makes him love and hate how much chaos he can create; BUT most importantly he is insanely intelligent - he knows the power to get things done a little news chaos can generate and to his credit he uses it VERY well.

It's just so incredibly funny how anyone that speaks critically of Aaron Rodgers instantly hates him, or thinks he is a bad guy...this isn't the truth. Shoot to use a forum example, @captainWIMM and how he communicates at times ****** me off to no end, doesn't for a second mean I think he is a bad guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He didn't say anything in between when the rift happened. He didn't draw any attention to himself.
While I agree with some of your post, the one thing that Rodgers does not do, is put a stop to all the B.S. if it truly is B.S. MAtter of fact, he likes to give it a bump, to keep it in the air even longer. He seems to really enjoy the spectacle of proving his "Don't believe everything you hear." Which is fine, I agree with that to a certain extent. Case in point (in his favor). How long have people been speculating that he and what's her name are done? Who the F*ck cares right? It's his business who he is dating, married to, sleeping with, etc. So he is having fun with this, letting the rumors still twirl around, not addressing them. Meanwhile they are still together and probably laughing their ***** off every time they see a tabloid story about their breakup. Fine, that is cool, he is clowning all those rumor mongers.

However, when those rumors and all the drama he is kicking up, distracts from the team, the fans, the organization, enough is enough. He has played this game twice now, for different reasons. IF he really is that unhappy with the team and its fan base that has helped to make him the mega millionaire that he is today, then request the trade or retire. Don't take your decision down to a point of last seconding the Packers many other decisions.

Latest posts