The Final Lull....Key Dates As We Head Towards 2022 To Keep Eye On

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's really stalling anything though. Once players make it to this point without a contract, odds are they're testing FA. Adams is the big one and those tend to be last minute like Jones 2 years ago. If they aren't extended in season they usually go up to the wire. Agents of other players can't really explore other options right now anyway, they aren't FA's yet.

The packers and they probably have values already agreed to and the agents/players very likely are ready to see what FA brings at this point and come back to GB if they don't get what they like.

I know Rodgers is a big domino, as it is going to affect the structures of other things. But other guys can negotiate with a pretty good idea of what they're doing. The Packers are either re-structuring Rodgers to free up money to sign guys, or he is traded and it creates 15-20M in space or he retires and same. In any scenario, space is being made and they know it.

Yeah players like knowing who their QB is, but what they like more is guaranteed money. That's going to be the deciding factor for all of them. I don't think the Packers are really "stalled" on anything right now.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL the Packers literally cannot discuss actual hard figures with anyone given their biggest expense in a deficit cap situation hasn’t even said whether he wants to be here or not.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has everyone forgot that Rodgers is already under contract for next year? The only question is if they come up with a rework agreement, and if he's traded. The reality of it all is, that's it's own issue. Both Rodgers and the Packers already know where that's heading.

It's going to be decided based on whom they can get back in the fold with reworked contracts, and if the nucleus of the team is still strong enough, they'll rework the balance of what's needed through the Rodgers contract. The rest of the signings may very well come first.

Just something to think about. It really looks more that way than it being all on Rodgers shoulders. I think he's giving them a chance to get all those contracts in place - in principle - so they can see where his would go, and if it's going to work for him to stay.

But, everyone has their own opinion. That's just mine.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL the Packers literally cannot discuss actual hard figures with anyone given their biggest expense in a deficit cap situation hasn’t even said whether he wants to be here or not.
Yes they can. He’s either going to be restructured or gone, and gone is a known figure. I’m sure they’ve been discussing the other and know about the right amount the rest is how it’s structured. The packers aren’t as clueless as we all are about the money in these situations.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes they can. He’s either going to be restructured or gone, and gone is a known figure. I’m sure they’ve been discussing the other and know about the right amount the rest is how it’s structured. The packers aren’t as clueless as we all are about the money in these situations.

No one is saying they’re but you’re talking about a twenty million dollar cap hit difference if he is here or if he is gone. Shoot they may not even know what type of new restructure he is willing to take yet until they know if he wants to even play.

Bottom line no matter how you slice it Rodgers made it known this wouldn’t drag out and it wouldn’t take long and even he knows his decisions massively impacts a bunch of other things.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And so far it’s impacted nothing and people are acting like he’s holding everything up for all sorts of nefarious reasons to get back at the team and gute and the reality is, it’s probably all working just fine.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is saying they’re but you’re talking about a twenty million dollar cap hit difference if he is here or if he is gone. Shoot they may not even know what type of new restructure he is willing to take yet until they know if he wants to even play.

Bottom line no matter how you slice it Rodgers made it known this wouldn’t drag out and it wouldn’t take long and even he knows his decisions massively impacts a bunch of other things.
And IMO it hasn't really dragged out. His decision does impact a lot of other things but there is not much more the Packers could do right now even if they did know what he is going to do. Everything the Packers could have done up until now they will still be able to do when he decides.

If he decides to come back I'm sure they have an offer ready to go. He might even know what that offer is. If he decides to come back he will most likely tell the team and they will work out a deal and the next thing we hear is going to be the Packers sign Rodgers to a record breaking extension or whatever. I don't think either side will make that announcement without the deal being done.

Once he decides the Packers will know pretty much exactly where they stand and they will put the appropriate plan into action. The plan they have been working on all along.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure they can. If they are truly interested in bringing a guy like Douglas back regardless of the decision they can discuss it all they want. I'm sure they have a number in mind so they can approach him and say this is what we will offer. Of course we can't do anything right now because we have to wait for Aaron's decision to decide how we can work it in. If their interest in keeping a player is solely based on Rodgers' decision then no they can't really do anything because they are not going to tell a player "if Aaron comes back we want to keep you but if he wants out you're out too" or "if Aaron comes back we are going to have to forget about you because we can't afford you."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Exactly and this was just recently echoed by Gute in his statement.

“I would hope so,” Gutekunst admitted. “That’s obviously the start of the new league year. There’s a lot of decisions that have to be made before that, so that would be helpful. I would think we would know something before then. Once we get the situation with Aaron figured out, everything will follow."

"Obviously everything around here centers around the quarterback. That's kind of how we do things," the GM said last week. "It's a big piece. It's a domino that has to fall before we go down other avenues. So it's important as we go through this and the puzzle pieces that we got to make fit. That's the first one to go."

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure they can. If they are truly interested in bringing a guy like Douglas back regardless of the decision they can discuss it all they want. I'm sure they have a number in mind so they can approach him and say this is what we will offer. Of course we can't do anything right now because we have to wait for Aaron's decision to decide how we can work it in. If their interest in keeping a player is solely based on Rodgers' decision then no they can't really do anything because they are not going to tell a player "if Aaron comes back we want to keep you but if he wants out you're out too" or "if Aaron comes back we are going to have to forget about you because we can't afford you."

That’s literally what I’ve said and described. Zero traction and deals can actually be had or made due to none of them rival the Aaron piece - without it everything else is at a stall

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s literally what I’ve said and described. Zero traction and deals can actually be had or made due to none of them rival the Aaron piece - without it everything else is at a stall
you said the Packers cant do anything. I said they can do a lot of stuff. that's not the same thing. You and I must have a language barrier because this is the second time we have had this happen. You make a comment, someone posts an argument and you come back with that's literally what I said when IMO what you said was the exact opposite.

I'd like to know what they could have or would have done if they had his decision 4 weeks ago that they will not be able to do when they get his decision either this weekend or next week or pretty much any time before the start of the league year. They know they have to clear a ton of cap space no matter what and they have already started to do that. Obviously the decision or lack of, had no impact on the restructure of Clark, Jones or Bakhtiari. They did that to clear up space they needed anyway. The only thing I can think that they could have possibly done is to sign a guy like Douglas or Campbell rather than waiting until FA starts but that doesn't mean they couldn't talk to those guys and told them what they were thinking. Its possible they did and those guys said they are going to test the market anyway. Its also possible that they told them "we will give you this much for this long but we can't do anything until we get Aarons decision because we have to figure out exactly what we need to do" and both have said "sounds good to us just let us know when we can sign"

The Packers have a plan in place no matter what the decision is. They know exactly what they are going to do and as soon as they get Aarons decision they will proceed with whatever plan they have in place for that decision.

Rodgers calls and says "I'm coming back" A deal is most likely worked out because I'm sure it would be important in the decision so they sign the deal and Gute says OK, now that we know what Aaron is going to do we have to do this, this and this. This might be to cut Z and Crosby. It might be to extend Alexander. It might be lots of things that they have already determined they would do if Rodgers comes back.

OR

Aarron says "I'm retiring" so Gute says Ok now we have to do this this and this and again, whatever this this and this are those decisions have already been made.

Or

Aaron says I want to be traded to which Gute says ok, now we have to do this this and this and in this case, as with the others, this this and this have already been planned for. The only difference in this scenario is they have to decide if they are going to trade him and if so work out a deal with someone. They already know how much they will save if they trade him so they know who they plan on keeping or cutting or whatever else moves they need to make. If they have no plans on trading him they have to do whatever they have decided they were going to do if that is the case.

They know what they will do in with any scenario. They just need to wait until they can do it or need to do it and its not really holding them back to wait as 1) they have already been making moves which they couldn't do if the decision was holding them back and 2) its a time when few teams are making moves anyway. Everything is in the discussion stages and they can still discuss all the same things they could with or without the decision. They can even discuss amounts because they know how much they will need and will have with any given scenario.

Now if they don't get Aaron's decision by the end of next weekend (the 13th) then things might get a little dicey simply because of the time left and the number of things they have to do but the decisions on what they are going to do are most likely already decided upon.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only part of that that I would agree with is how this is affecting other players. They would like to know what their futures hold and if they are to be released I'm sure they would prefer it to be sooner rather than later. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if all those players already know what their fates will be. They may have already be told that if Aaron does this we will be doing this. As I said before however with regards to the team they already know what they will do they just need to know which plan they need to implement. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being no significance and 10 being the only thing that matters I'd give this whole thing a 3.5 maybe a 4.

Reaction score
The packers and they probably have values already agreed to and the agents/players very likely are ready to see what FA brings at this point and come back to GB if they don't get what they like.
I’m sorry but with all due respect Aaron Rodgers is NOT a Free Agent. His decision could’ve been made yesterday etc..
Yeah players like knowing who their QB is, but what they like more is guaranteed money. That's going to be the deciding factor for all of them. I don't think the Packers are really "stalled" on anything right now.
Those are good points. It’s not that the Packers plane is stalled and crashing, so the airport isn’t on fire and no need to call the fire dept. It’s more as he circle the airport in his jumbo jet those multiple times, other planes are coming and going and going about their business and making commitments.

The lack of transparency does absolutely have an effect on the momentum of other decisions. His delay is putting us at a disadvantage and the only reason it’s not being verbalized publicly by our Staff is because they are having to dance his dance. Gutenkunst is showing incredible restraint imo. There’s a perfect term for it it’s called being placed in a compromising position. That’s unprofessional and it’s becoming increasingly clear that Aaron Rodgers brings about his own controversy.

Rodgers claim of taking a more definitive approach is no longer valid when he’s flirting with aligning his decision with common Free Agents. Correct me if I’m wrong but he’s not a FA is he?
My conclusion is that there is another possibility Dr Watson..
I deduce that Aaron Rodgers is immunized I mean.. has lied! :tup: :roflmao: I apologize for that outburst.. I’m sure he meant he’d have a decision before the timing of holding up the team like last year:sneaky:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It's mind-boggling how many of you don't seem to understand that a deadline spurs action.

The Packers don't need to know until the start of the league year if Rodgers is coming back or not. At that point they will need to reduce his cap number either way.

The one thing to consider is that no matter if he stays, gets traded or retires the Packers know they will save approximately $20 million of cap space for next season in the process.

In addition it's strange that some of you truly believe the front office hasn't been in contact with him to gauge his interest of returning next season just because the media hasn't been able to get a hold on what's happening.

As mentioned before, March 16th is the day to keep an eye on for his decision to be made public.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling how many of you don't seem to understand that a deadline spurs action.

The Packers don't need to know until the start of the league year if Rodgers is coming back or not. At that point they will need to reduce his cap number either way.

The one thing to consider is that no matter if he stays, gets traded or retires the Packers know they will save approximately $20 million of cap space for next season in the process.

In addition it's strange that some of you truly believe the front office hasn't been in contact with him to gauge his interest of returning next season just because the media hasn't been able to get a hold on what's happening.

As mentioned before, March 16th is the day to keep an eye on for his decision to be made public.
At this point it’s become apparent some people like to feel angst something like this can cause them? There is zero happening across the entire league this time of year and they choose to keep themselves on edge over it.

Any, I’m not acting like he’s a FA. One of my very fist posts on it said as much. He’s a Packer until I hear differently. And if I do hear differently, I’ll move on.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contrary to the beliefs of some, the sky is not falling. What you're seeing is not the fog of contentious beliefs. It's simply time elapsing as everyone awaits the decisions that must be made to get the new season rolling. We will know where it's heading, when the time is right.

Until then, have a shot of tequila, and relax. It's all gonna be what it is.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m taking Rodgers at his word. He said numerous times this would be a quick decision. Even set the franchise tag placement as the deadline, but made it sound as if he wanted to do it with some time left between the decision and that tagging deadline.

The fact some of you seem to think those of us getting sick of it believe Gute and company hasn’t been working full tint is insane. It’s actually making them have to work harder and more due to having no clear direction they’re heading and live in multiple hypothetical scenarios

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of an nfl GM. They’ve been working in every scenario we can dream up of and more all year long like every year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of an nfl GM. They’ve been working in every scenario we can dream up of and more all year long like every year.
False. Until the last two years they’ve never had to doubt their starting QB under contract might want out. Which causes massive trickle effects through potential other contracts

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yet, both Gute and MLF have stated that they just don't know what he is doing. They may know which way he is leaning, but just like last summer, they don't know 100% what he is doing. Meanwhile, the Packers plans for other players are on hold, until Rodgers craps or gets off the pot.

As someone who doesn't like to wait until the fire is fully lit, to get something done, it is mind-boggling to me how some people like to wait until the last second to try and complete things. Especially, when many things depend on each thing to be completed. Are Gute and the Packers organization capable of making all decisions once Rodgers makes his? Sure, but I bet if you asked them what they would prefer, they would prefer to know well before any deadlines, giving them and other players time in which to negotiate.

How would you like being 1 of the many players that is waiting to know if they are going to be cut by the Packers, once Rodgers makes up his mind? Do you start looking for a new home? Are your kids going to be in a new school?

This is Rodgers once again playing his king of the hill game, wanting to be seen as the most important person in the room/organization. If this is how he wants to win championships and be a good teammate, he sure has an odd way of showing it. I wasn't on the forum when Favre started his waffling on retirement, but I get the impression that many here will never forgive Favre for the way things ended. This last year of the Rodgers Drama has far surpassed the Favre retirement drama. For Favre it wasn't about being the highest paid player or not wanting to be a Packer, it was just about putting his mind and body through another season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How? ThebPackers have a good idea what it’s going to be with Rodgers here, elsewhere or home.

The rest are signing for guaranteed money, guaranteed. And they aren’t going to be worth more or less to GB if Rodgers is here or not.

They aren’t waiting in signing Rasul because Rodgers hasn’t inked a new deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How? ThebPackers have a good idea what it’s going to be with Rodgers here, elsewhere or home.

The rest are signing for guaranteed money, guaranteed. And they aren’t going to be worth more or less to GB if Rodgers is here or not.

Yet, reports from both Pete Dougherty and Tom Silverstein have stated that pretty much everything for the Packers is on hold until Rodgers makes his decision. The recent restructures on Clark and Bahk were necessary moves on core players, no matter what Rodgers does. I think what people are failing to grasp is that Rodgers decision 100% influences the direction in which the team will now head. Are they going all in for a shot at a SB with Rodgers or are they in rebuild with Love? Do you really think they will keep Cobb on a restructure if Rodgers is gone? Will they try to resign MVS, Campbell, Douglas if they suddenly find themselves in a rebuild? Even beyond their own group of players, are they putting feelers out to agents of FA's that they might be interested in their client, if Rodgers stays?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sorry but the belief that Rodgers isn’t causing hold ups on discussions with others is hilarious to me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, reports from both Pete Dougherty and Tom Silverstein have stated that pretty much everything for the Packers is on hold until Rodgers makes his decision. The recent restructures on Clark and Bahk were necessary moves on core players, no matter what Rodgers does. I think what people are failing to grasp is that Rodgers decision 100% influences the direction in which the team will now head. Are they going all in for a shot at a SB with Rodgers or are they in rebuild with Love? Do you really think they will keep Cobb on a restructure if Rodgers is gone? Will they try to resign MVS, Campbell, Douglas if they suddenly find themselves in a rebuild? Even beyond their own group of players, are they putting feelers out to agents of FA's that they might be interested in their client, if Rodgers stays?
So what? i don't mean to sound flippant, but really, so what? Yes, Rodgers is a major factor. But it's no different then when we used to have open season on rookie contracts. Nobody did anything until the big dominoes fell and then everyone was signed. Everything is in order and ready to go. They know the values, they know the contracts they know the possibilities.

Rasul, Campbell played themselves into really nice contracts. Adams too and when guys like that are on 1 year deals or are super stars guess when they usually get signed? Agents are trying to get every last dollar out of current team and signing last minute or going to FA. As soon as Adams wasn't extended last offseason, there was about a 10% or less chance he was going to be with this team again IMO. If he signs it will be last minute.

You guys are acting as if the Packers as if the Packers have all these other scenarios to work out based on Rodgers. no they don't. They're already worked out and they've been aware of them for over a year. But still, here we sit in a time of year when hardly anything is done until the deadline and people are wringing their hands because they don't "know" yet.

Clark was restructured because he's a young player going to be around for a while. They're banking on BakhT being back to his old self. MVS isn't worth a bigger contract with or without Rodgers. IMO I'm not clammoring over his services regardless. and what's MVS going to do if the Packers offer him what his agent and he decided he'd sign for a day before FA starts? NOT sign it because they're mad?

If Rodgers isn't here and GB offers Adams 60M guaranteed and everyone else is offering 30 guaranteed where do you think he's signing?

They've already identified fA's they think they could use or afford knowing some will be available, some won't and if they are, what they're prepared to offer. None of this is done last minute.

Latest posts