The Final Lull....Key Dates As We Head Towards 2022 To Keep Eye On

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the saga that is Green Bay's 2021/2022 offseason, which I actually believe Rodgers and the rumors WILL NOT be like last year (UGLY), now that the honors night is done and the Super Bowl on the horizon we have a lull in the action if you will. No one expected Rodgers to say anything till after the Super Bowl at the earliest...but I expect it will be nearly a whole week after or close to it.

Here are a few of the key league year dates looking forward for both Rodgers scenario but also just overall that I know every year folks are curious on:

February 13th - Super Bowl

February 14th - Waiver system begins for 2022 year

February 22nd - First day clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players *IF you are in the camp that Rodgers staying is tied to Adams this is the crucial date, and even Aaron has mentioned he wants to have a decision in time for the team to make this call - that said the team can apply this during a window, this merely is the first day or the beginning of that window.

February 23rd - Gute's Press Conference

March 1st-7th - Scouting Combine

March 8th - DEADLINE for designating Franchise or Transition Players *100% the team, Aaron and Adams will want to know precisely what and where we are heading.

March 14th-16th - Clubs permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations before the signing window with the certified agents of players who will become UFAs at 4PM on the 16th.

March 16th 4PM (New York Time) all 2021 player contracts will expire and the new league year begins.

April 18th - Offseason workout programs for Green Bay (since they have a returning HC) can occur

April 22nd - Deadline for RFAs to sign offer sheets

April 28th - 30th - NFL DRAFT

May 2 - Deadline for exercising fifth year options on players selected in the first round of the 2019 draft
*Darnell Savage

May 3 - Compensatory pick impact is over and signings now of UFAs will not factor into 2023 compensatory picks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he will do it in pat.mcaffee

Feb 22 and March 8 are tuesdays

Did he lock that in 100%? I gotta think the team will know before folks watching that show will...but it may be mere moments before.

If he did lock that in you are 100% accurate it will be one of those two days when we find out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did he lock that in 100%? I gotta think the team will know before folks watching that show will...but it may be mere moments before.

If he did lock that in you are 100% accurate it will be one of those two days when we find out.

When I come to a decision I will come to Indy & we'll do it in person" ~@AaronRodgers12

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tomorrow or the 29th are the next two Aaron Rodgers on Pat McAfee show - which is where he's said he'll make his decision known to the public first. I almost think Zadarius's wiping of social media of all Packers items is a sign some big chips may begin falling as soon as tomorrow.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ZSmith was going to be gone no matter what. Up against the cap, aging, injured. Is really a rush the passer guy only.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ZSmith was going to be gone no matter what. Up against the cap, aging, injured. Is really a rush the passer guy only.

For sure, but him making it publically "known" means the chips are falling internally...just a matter of time before more becomes public.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Went ahead and added Gute's press conference today to the list....as this could be the first sign or even releases of information regarding some decisions and directions we are heading. I don't expect Rodgers would allow Gute to break the news of his decision personally, but if he is staying maybe...however today I expect perhaps confirmation that Z will no longer be a Packer in the future years, could even get direction on some others as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just a hunch, but the Packers probably already have the "list" of guys that they either won't/can't resign and those that they will just outright cut. So instead of leaking a name here and there, I see them ripping the band aid and doing that all in one day.

Gute's presser today probably won't be listing those guys, especially if things aren't finalized with them. My guess is he will talk about trying to keep the Packers strong, while facing an uphill battle with the cap. As well as talk about some of the new coaches in place. The press will bug him mostly about Aaron and Davante, as well as a few other players. Gute's response will be: "We are still working on that."

Rodgers and to some extent Davante are the 2 biggest pieces of Gute's jigsaw puzzle, once those pieces are either in or out, the rest will go pretty quickly.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a hunch, but the Packers probably already have the "list" of guys that they either won't/can't resign and those that they will just outright cut. So instead of leaking a name here and there, I see them ripping the band aid and doing that all in one day.

Gute's presser today probably won't be listing those guys, especially if things aren't finalized with them. My guess is he will talk about trying to keep the Packers strong, while facing an uphill battle with the cap. As well as talk about some of the new coaches in place. The press will bug him mostly about Aaron and Davante, as well as a few other players. Gute's response will be: "We are still working on that."

Rodgers and to some extent Davante are the 2 biggest pieces of Gute's jigsaw puzzle, once those pieces are either in or out, the rest will go pretty quickly.

I don't disagree, but like I said the one I see which could be confirmed is Z - given the rather obvious scrubbing of all connection with the organization. Otherwise I concur it most likely will be a bunch of broad discussions and answers - avoiding specifics of questions no doubt he will be getting.

There will come a day though as you said, the flood gates of decisions I expect will open...get your life jackets folks, the surge is coming - we just don't know when.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but like I said the one I see which could be confirmed is Z - given the rather obvious scrubbing of all connection with the organization. Otherwise I concur it most likely will be a bunch of broad discussions and answers - avoiding specifics of questions no doubt he will be getting.

There will come a day though as you said, the flood gates of decisions I expect will open...get your life jackets folks, the surge is coming - we just don't know when.
You could be right on Z, since Z himself has pretty much announced that he is done in GB with the scrubbing of anything Packer in his Social Media content. I know Z wasn't happy about the way his contract was handled last year, but I'm pretty disappointed in a guy that seemed to be all in on the City and the team, basically turtling up in since that contract adjustment was made.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we end up seeing a move made at almost every position group. Whether it is a cut, no resign or a rework of a contract.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That cleared almost $11M in cap space!

In almost every post, we need to remember there's the implied "in my opinion". In this and most posts this offseason, we need to remember that 'cleared' in instances like this really needs to be understood as 'moved'. Not that it isn't welcome, just not the overall reduction that it implies.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In almost every post, we need to remember there's the implied "in my opinion". In this and most posts this offseason, we need to remember that 'cleared' in instances like this really needs to be understood as 'moved'. Not that it isn't welcome, just not the overall reduction that it implies.
Right.....I guess innately I understand the "kicking the can down the road" that moves like this are, but others might not.

D

Deleted member 6794

In this and most posts this offseason, we need to remember that 'cleared' in instances like this really needs to be understood as 'moved'. Not that it isn't welcome, just not the overall reduction that it implies.

While that's true the restructure of Clark's contract cleared nearly $11 million for next season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the signing of another young kicker means that Crosby will be a cap casualty. Even without cap problems, he wouldn't be a lock for next season. I think its rather safe to assume that the Packers will free up about 25 million in cap space by saying goodbye to Z. Cobb and Crosby in addition to the 11 million freed up by Clark's restructure. Those moves would still put the team about 9 million over the cap. Sad to see Crosby, Cobb and Z go. They made a lot of great highligh level plays.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Less than a week from the tagging deadline on Adams....and Aaron said this would be a quick decision, wouldn't take long and wanted to give the team ample warning before the tagging deadline - you're timeline is fast becoming an issue Aaron...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is also two weeks 14 days now from the new league year. A lot is set to occur in the coming weeks....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Less than a week from the tagging deadline on Adams....and Aaron said this would be a quick decision, wouldn't take long and wanted to give the team ample warning before the tagging deadline - you're timeline is fast becoming an issue Aaron...
I agree to a point. If I am not mistaken Rodgers said he would have his decision before the time came to make a decision on Adams. I think the Packers are working hard to sign Adams to a long term deal so they don't have to tag him. I don't think anyone is panicking yet.

Members online

Latest posts