The Final Lull....Key Dates As We Head Towards 2022 To Keep Eye On

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said this was not going to take long and would make a decision well before or quite a bit before - there was some term he said before the tag deadline. However it’s Aaron he’s smug, self claimed genius and loves to say things in a manner specifically to his liking and not always as most would interpret it.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I agree to a point. If I am not mistaken Rodgers said he would have his decision before the time came to make a decision on Adams. I think the Packers are working hard to sign Adams to a long term deal so they don't have to tag him. I don't think anyone is panicking yet.

The Packers can tag Adams by March 8 and rescind it before the league year begins on March 16 if they are unable to make the necessary cap room. If Aaron wants to be traded it can probably be done it a couple of days. Not ideal for the Packers but they also signed off on Rodgers contract last summer and knew the risks. I've scheduled my panic to begin at noon on March 14th.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers can tag Adams by March 8 and rescind it before the leagure year on March 16 if they are unable to make the necessary cap room. If Aaron wants to be traded it can probably be done it a couple of days. Not ideal for the Packers but they also signed off on Rodgers contract last summer and knew the risks. I've scheduled my panic to begin at noon on March 14th.

The problem is, most of what the Packers are doing hinges on Rodgers decision. From what I understand from Tom Silverstein, all of their negotiations with other players are on hold, until Rodgers gives them his decision. This puts the Packers in a really crappy position IMO. I doubt they shove all in if Rodgers tells them he is retiring or wants out of Green Bay. So you have players like Douglas, Campbell, MVS, Lazard, etc. being told "we will get back to you when the big cheese tells us his plans."

The fact that Rodgers is doing this to the organization is really worse than what Favre did with all his retirement waffling. At least with Favre, you knew he wasn't questioning being a Packer.

There is no doubt that the Packers are a better team in the short run with Rodgers, but I am still not sure about the long run. I would be shocked if he retires. If he drags this out much longer, I would be fine with the Packers just trading him to the highest bidder and if it means making it conditional on him not retiring, so be it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is 100% NOT a good situation this whole thing has us in without a doubt...Since we are scheduling panic time and @ARPackFan has taken noon on March 14th...I'll lock in sunset on March 7th, the day prior to the tagging deadline on the 8th - you gotta give Gute and Company at least that much time to shift plans and execute that discussion if POSSIBLE - which I still think is vastly too last minute when you mix in all the times he has said 'this won't take long' 'I want to have this done in plenty of time for other decisions like the tag' type of things.

Some folks keep saying this is all fine and isn't causing any issues yet for the team and organization...those people GROSSLY misunderstand and are clueless to just how many items, discussions, meetings, scouting and plannings Rodgers literally has everything locked down and at a stand still.

Animosity I would think may start to creep into the mindset of a few of our UFAs or even Lazard when they continually hear nothing or hear "we cannot even talk yet until we know the biggest dominoe" type things.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is 100% NOT a good situation this whole thing has us in without a doubt...Since we are scheduling panic time and @ARPackFan has taken noon on March 14th...I'll lock in sunset on March 7th, the day prior to the tagging deadline on the 8th - you gotta give Gute and Company at least that much time to shift plans and execute that discussion if POSSIBLE - which I still think is vastly too last minute when you mix in all the times he has said 'this won't take long' 'I want to have this done in plenty of time for other decisions like the tag' type of things.

Some folks keep saying this is all fine and isn't causing any issues yet for the team and organization...those people GROSSLY misunderstand and are clueless to just how many items, discussions, meetings, scouting and plannings Rodgers literally has everything locked down and at a stand still.

Animosity I would think may start to creep into the mindset of a few of our UFAs or even Lazard when they continually hear nothing or hear "we cannot even talk yet until we know the biggest dominoe" type things.
Are you peeking at my screen?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur with the whole concept if the 8th deadline comes and goes leaving us unable to tag Adams, IF I'm Gute....I call a press conference, walk to the mic, take off the gloves, place them up in the corner of the podium and say "The Green Bay Packers sadly will not be waiting any longer for Aaron Rodgers and his decision. His indecision cost us the ability to tag Davante to ensure we keep the best WR in the league in Green Bay with the best QB in the league as well. Numerous discussions can no longer be cancelled or put on hold solely due to one player on the team; no matter how great that player is. If any GM or team in the league is interested in Aaron Rodgers you have our number. With that said, I talked to our war room guys that we now are full speed ahead of building a team around Jordan Love and I hope to give them a better picture of our fleshed out roster within a few days once we can have a few crucial conversations with specific guys heading into free agency."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur said he isn't trying to bother Aaron Rodgers right now. My brain now substitutes Aaron's name in the "We Don't Talk About Bruno" song. You know, that movie has a lot of parallels to the Packers situation with Rodgers. "We don't talk about Aaron, no, no, no!"

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh crap did you call sunset on the 7th? I'll gladly bump that to 3PM on the 7th since the delay is starting to annoy the crap out of me LOL
No, but we are aligned on the fact that Aaron Rodgers needs to take a dump or get off the pot. The Packers are making moves that they would have to make with or without Rodgers, but now they are at that point where everything else is on hold. If I am any of the players that have been "put on hold", as much as I may like Aaron as a teammate, my own career and well being is more important. I might be tempted to just tell the Packers that I have to move on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some of you guys should chill. Seriously. It's fine to talk about hypotheticals and things, it's what we do, but some take it too personally or head down some rabbit holes.

First off, no coach or GM is going to throw one of the best players in the history of the team under the bus like that. 2nd, impending Free agency for star players usually always results in a last second deal. If not, it was an extension earlier in the year, likely a year before FA was even on the table.

IF Adams is based soley on on Rodgers being here or not? I'm already planning on moving on as a GM. Why would anyone commit a big contract and dollars to a guy that only wants to be here if #12 is here and that might only be another season or 2?

Seriously, I have a number in mind for Adams and that's where i'm sticking Rodgers or no Rodgers and Adams can make a decision himself.

I think some people are going a bit too far down some rabbit holes how this all works.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur said he isn't trying to bother Aaron Rodgers right now. My brain now substitutes Aaron's name in the "We Don't Talk About Bruno" song. You know, that movie has a lot of parallels to the Packers situation with Rodgers. "We don't talk about Aaron, no, no, no!"

OH MY WORD I LOVE THIS LOL!!!! My little son ADORES the music in that song and that song can usually almost always get him laughing again!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some of you guys should chill. Seriously. It's fine to talk about hypotheticals and things, it's what we do, but some take it too personally or head down some rabbit holes.

First off, no coach or GM is going to throw one of the best players in the history of the team under the bus like that. 2nd, impending Free agency for star players usually always results in a last second deal. If not, it was an extension earlier in the year, likely a year before FA was even on the table.

IF Adams is based soley on on Rodgers being here or not? I'm already planning on moving on as a GM. Why would anyone commit a big contract and dollars to a guy that only wants to be here if #12 is here and that might only be another season or 2?

Seriously, I have a number in mind for Adams and that's where i'm sticking Rodgers or no Rodgers and Adams can make a decision himself.

I think some people are going a bit too far down some rabbit holes how this all works.

Honestly most of the annoyance and discussions this has froze doesn't even include Adams. How they have to cut or handle guys with inflated contracts like Crosby or Cobb strongly depend upon Aaron coming back (cobb is cut if he isn't and is hopefully reworked if he is no doubt), Turner same boat depending on money needed, Amos, how we tender Lazard to a smaller extent, Yosh, can we even talk with MVS, King, Sullivan or more importantly Rasul or Campbell. As I've said before I'm not truly mad at Aaron unless he lets this drag into next week. This team needs to begin to actually make plans and decisions on player personnel, they've done about all they can do with contract restructures that they felt okay with pushing money on...from here it is discussions of signing, cuts, attempted extensions or reworkings of a pay cut type discussions...none of which can occur or arguably begin till Aaron makes this decision that he himself has claimed wouldn't take long.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb shouldn't be back at all. Crosby will earn a spot or won't. I don't think any of these need to be made with Rodgers in mind. All those are decisions that could stand on their own. I don't think any of those other guys are based on Rodgers. MVS? decent young player. Gives an element we need, but he's hardly a must keep for an offense. I like him, probably more than a lot of guys around here and I'm not committing big money to him regardless who the QB is. Lazard? Tender as you would regardless of the QB.

There is a lot of money that could move one way or the other, but getting FA contracts done at the deadline like Rasul or Campbell are the norm, not the exception. The GM should already have his ducks in a row for that. What their value is to this team is already decided IMO and the decision is ultimately going to be theirs whether or not they hit FA.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb shouldn't be back at all. Crosby will earn a spot or won't. I don't think any of these need to be made with Rodgers in mind. All those are decisions that could stand on their own. I don't think any of those other guys are based on Rodgers. MVS? decent young player. Gives an element we need, but he's hardly a must keep for an offense. I like him, probably more than a lot of guys around here and I'm not committing big money to him regardless who the QB is. Lazard? Tender as you would regardless of the QB.

There is a lot of money that could move one way or the other, but getting FA contracts done at the deadline like Rasul or Campbell are the norm, not the exception. The GM should already have his ducks in a row for that. What their value is to this team is already decided IMO and the decision is ultimately going to be theirs whether or not they hit FA.

LOL sorry Rodgers has made it very clear making such decisions without him is purely going to cause spoiled milk to form again. Cobb is here because of Rodgers - zero chance he comes if Rodgers hadn't forced it.

You're grossly down playing the trickle down impact of Rodgers decision given the MASSIVE salary cap cost or savings it will be, and also the trickle impact of guys being willing to rework contracts if Gute approaches them, FAs wanting to talk or willing to maybe take 10% less here to run it back. Sure every deal is separately inked but none are happening till direction is known - otherwise it would be a gross mismanagement by the organization.

Reaction score
I’ve Went back n forth on Rodgers. He clearly said his decision would be timely. He’s now at the threshold of an untimely answer. If a person is deceptive in small matters? They are deceptive in big matters.

I won’t put a date on what I personally consider past the threshold of a “timely” decision. Anything even close to a deadline is NOT timely and as a fan and just general perspective? we are PAST that (but I suppose someone will try to convince me that my feelings or instincts are no longer accurate ;))
Now we are beginning to make excuses using this deadline or that deadline.

These type events show very symbolic of those that have been deceptive in my own personal history.
I’m sorry that’s tough rhetoric for those that covet Aaron. I’m not impressed at all. Some of you guys talk about Jerry Jones or John Elway and yet neither combined are nowhere near the level of audacity. The hardest people to accurately depict are those closest to us. I feel sorry for my fellow fans they deserve better

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL sorry Rodgers has made it very clear making such decisions without him is purely going to cause spoiled milk to form again. Cobb is here because of Rodgers - zero chance he comes if Rodgers hadn't forced it.

You're grossly down playing the trickle down impact of Rodgers decision given the MASSIVE salary cap cost or savings it will be, and also the trickle impact of guys being willing to rework contracts if Gute approaches them, FAs wanting to talk or willing to maybe take 10% less here to run it back. Sure every deal is separately inked but none are happening till direction is known - otherwise it would be a gross mismanagement by the organization.
I don't think anybody is taking 10% less to "run it back" They're taking guaranteed money, guaranteed :)

and the FO has their scenarios already figured out. They have values assigned to players. FA doesn't start for another week. Most of these signings are last minute deals every year for every team.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly most of the annoyance and discussions this has froze doesn't even include Adams. How they have to cut or handle guys with inflated contracts like Crosby or Cobb strongly depend upon Aaron coming back (cobb is cut if he isn't and is hopefully reworked if he is no doubt), Turner same boat depending on money needed, Amos, how we tender Lazard to a smaller extent, Yosh, can we even talk with MVS, King, Sullivan or more importantly Rasul or Campbell. As I've said before I'm not truly mad at Aaron unless he lets this drag into next week. This team needs to begin to actually make plans and decisions on player personnel, they've done about all they can do with contract restructures that they felt okay with pushing money on...from here it is discussions of signing, cuts, attempted extensions or reworkings of a pay cut type discussions...none of which can occur or arguably begin till Aaron makes this decision that he himself has claimed wouldn't take long.
We should consider the possibility that the team knows more than we do. It is possible that they are currently working out contract details etc…..

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should consider the possibility that the team knows more than we do. It is possible that they are currently working out contract details etc…..

Of course this is possible, but Gute and Rodgers have learned what lying or avoiding a lie can cause (see last year, see immunized vs vaccinated). Gute and them have said zero on the Rodgers front is known - I believe him. I have no doubt GB has laid out thoughts IF he comes back this is what our thought is extension wise...but they're waiting for word.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think the Packers FO is just sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for Rodgers to tell them they can start making other decisions.

If he says he's coming back they most likely have an offer in place and its probably going to be accepted. Heck, it may already be accepted for all we know. The Packers have said this is what we will do and Rodgers has said OK, if I decide to stay that's fine. I doubt its a situation where Rodgers says OK, I'll come back, now lets negotiate a deal. I think their decision on Adams is not as dependent on Rodgers as some think. I think they are trying hard to work out a long term deal with him regardless of what Rodgers does. It doesn't make any sense to tag a guy early on and **** him off while long term negotiations are still in the works. They have a few more days before they have to tag him. The deals already done were done to give the Packer room under the cap and even though they technically wouldn't have had to be done if Rodgers says he wants out I think they were done to give the Packers flexibility no matter what he decides.

If he says he wants a trade I'm sure there is a short list, heck it may even be one team, that they can call and deals can be worked out pretty quickly.

As far as free agents go I would be very surprised if the Packers haven't discussed the situation with guys like Campbell and Douglas. Official offers may not have been made but I'd be willing to bet they have talked numbers. Those guys might just want to wait until FA to begin with to see what they might get. As for any possible outside FAs they can't talk to them yet anyway so it doesn't really matter, besides they probably won't have a lot of room for those signings anyway although the moves they have made will clear up space when combined with other possible cap cutting moves (Rodgers decision, Alexander, Z etc.) Technically they don't need to know Rodgers decision to tag Adams as he can be tagged on the 8th and the tag rescinded later on if they can't swing the cap space or Rodgers decides to move on so that's not really a big concern either.

Some are making it sound like the Packers can't do anything until Rodgers makes up his mind. They may not be able to do anything official but I'm sure they have a pretty good idea what they are going to do no matter what the decision is. I'm guessing that within a day or two of the decision (I'm saying we will know by sometime on Monday) we will see several deals made.

Reaction score
I see it as a form of player retribution towards a Packers FO for making past cold and calculating moves. Rodgers said as much himself and voiced that repeatedly inside a year ago. He took it very personal and
Im going to bet he’s not the forgiving type. No, you’ve got a vindictive personality in Rodgers and it’s s chess game and he’ll strr we p

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a big difference between saying this is causing certain things to be unable to move or "stall" and the organization is doing nothing. I'd never for a minute claim that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I tend to believe what both Silverstein and Pete Daugherty have been reporting as late as yesterday. From the NFL combine, Silverstein said that the Packers are truly on hold with a lot of players until the Rodgers decision is made. He described it as a "domino effect", with the Rodgers decision deciding which dominos fall and in what direction.

This doesn't mean that the Packers are sitting on their hands or twiddling their thumbs. I am sure they are working on many "if this happens...then we try this" scenarios.

How waiting for Rodgers decision will impact being able to do what they want to, we may never know. That said, I am pretty sure that guys like MVS, Douglas, Campbell and all the other unsigned Packers from 2021 aren't sitting and waiting either, they and their agents are exploring all options.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to believe what both Silverstein and Pete Daugherty have been reporting as late as yesterday. From the NFL combine, Silverstein said that the Packers are truly on hold with a lot of players until the Rodgers decision is made. He described it as a "domino effect", with the Rodgers decision deciding which dominos fall and in what direction.

This doesn't mean that the Packers are sitting on their hands or twiddling their thumbs. I am sure they are working on many "if this happens...then we try this" scenarios.

How waiting for Rodgers decision will impact being able to do what they want to, we may never know. That said, I am pretty sure that guys like MVS, Douglas, Campbell and all the other unsigned Packers from 2021 aren't sitting and waiting either, they and their agents are exploring all options.

Exactly....and LORD have mercy I'd rather work on one known scenario than attempt to work on three main different ones which all then lead to different scenarios of their own as they fall after the initial choice of the first three....from a management perspective this is hell.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exactly....and LORD have mercy I'd rather work on one known scenario than attempt to work on three main different ones which all then lead to different scenarios of their own as they fall after the initial choice of the first three....from a management perspective this is hell.
Add to that mess the Cap constraints, the other Free agents that they may have their eyes on and of course prepping for the draft. Right now, I would have to think that every position is a possibility in both Free agency, as well as the draft. So it sure would be nice to par down all these decisions, by getting Rodgers decision and move on.

If the Packers had a lot of wiggle room with the cap, Rodgers decision wouldn't be quite as important, however, what the cap looks like, if he stays with a restructure, demands a trade or retires, will all look different.

Reaction score
This whole Rodgers thing is surreal. It feels like I’m caught somewhere between the melody of the Twilight Zone and Paul Simon’s The Sound of Silence with a tinge of Jim Morrison’s People are Strange looming nearby for the official deal signing celebration

Last edited: