The case that Aaron Rodgers is playing himself into the MVP conversation

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
.according to most ppl in here Arod "can do No wrong" ...
I don't recall seeing you post here much during the first half the season. Not even so much as an I told you so about anything. Plenty of people wanted something or someone different at the QB spot.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously ? You ppl ... Its ok for Rodgers to play awfull for the first half of the season, and good in the last half and you ppl still have him in top for MVP ? While in the same Breath discounting Brady and Bell for missing a few games in the start ? Pot meet kettle ...

The same could be said for alot of fellow Packer fans ...according to most ppl in here Arod "can do No wrong" ...

Objectively No matter what criteria you pretty much put up ... Brady should be considered to be better than Rodgers ... that is if ppl could stop with the Homer kool-aid ... :p

I am not sure why it is hypocritical. You say Brady missed a few games. I say he missed a quarter of season. For one quarter of the season he wasn't even there to help his team in a game. Rodgers may have struggled but he was helping his team win games to start the year. Brady was on the sidelines because he cheated. Bell was on the sidelines bc he couldn't lay off the weed. That it is quite different. It would be different if Rodgers would have missed the Packers first 4 games but he played. If he would have missed the first 4 games this team would not be playing for the division tomorrow night

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure why it is hypocritical. You say Brady missed a few games. I say he missed a quarter of season. For one quarter of the season he wasn't even there to help his team in a game. Rodgers may have struggled but he was helping his team win games to start the year. Brady was on the sidelines because he cheated. Bell was on the sidelines bc he couldn't lay off the weed. That it is quite different. It would be different if Rodgers would have missed the Packers first 4 games but he played. If he would have missed the first 4 games this team would not be playing for the division tomorrow night

you are right..

NE went 3 and 1? With out Brady.. Packers wouldnt

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Seriously ? You ppl ... Its ok for Rodgers to play awfull for the first half of the season, and good in the last half and you ppl still have him in top for MVP ? While in the same Breath discounting Brady and Bell for missing a few games in the start ? Pot meet kettle ...
The idea that you classify 20 TD's to 5 INT's in the 1st half of the season as "awful", and 16 TD's to 2 INT's in the second half of the season as just "good" is laughable. I would classify it more as "good" and "great", but that's just me.

The only reason there has been this myth about Rodgers playing bad is because the team wasn't winning. During the 4 game losing streak, the defense was giving up over 38 points per game, and on the season the team is 9-1 when we hold the opponent to under 30 points.

If we would have went 7-3 rather than 4-6, all of the silly talk about Rodgers playing "awful" simply wouldn't have ever been talked about. Rodgers played well enough to win those games, minus the Minnesota game. That was on him.

Rodgers already has 40 total touchdowns to Brady's 25. I'm sorry, but yes. Missing a quarter of the season matters.

In the case of Bell, yes. Missing 3 games matters. It's tough for running backs to win MVP as it is, playing a full 16 games, and even in the case of Peterson in 2012, it took coming within 8 yards of the all time rushing record to get that honor. With LT in 2006, he had 31 total TD's. Shaun Alexander in 2005 had 28 total touchdowns. Marshall Faulk in 1999 had over 2,400 all purpose yards. 1000+ rushing, 1000+ receiving.

I'm sorry, but 9 TD's and less than 1900 total yards isn't outstanding enough as a back to win the MVP.

And when we are talking about "Most Valuable Player", put the stats aside, which favor Rodgers. Without Brady, the Patriots were 3-1, and I would argue that they would have been 4-0 if Jimmy G doesn't get hurt. Take Rodgers off this team. Who do we beat? What single opponent on our schedule this year would we beat without Rodgers?

Aaron Rodgers is the most valuable player in football and could probably win the award every year, the same way LeBron deserves MVP every year in the NBA. Only this year, Rodgers has the stats to back it up, comparable to his other MVP campaigns in 11 and 14.

All of this being said? I still would give Matt Ryan the MVP over Rodgers, but I certainly wouldn't give it to Brady. And wouldn't give a second of thoughtful consideration to Bell.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "shield" wants to portray a certain image to the world. If that is true, then allowing a player who was suspended to win mvp in that same year, is okay?

I'm okay with Brady or bell winning it, but I'm looking at how the NFL wants to be protrayed

The NFL doesn't give a damn about anything but the almighty dollar.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The "shield" wants to portray a certain image to the world. If that is true, then allowing a player who was suspended to win mvp in that same year, is okay?

I'm okay with Brady or bell winning it, but I'm looking at how the NFL wants to be protrayed
The NFL doesn't give a damn about anything but the almighty dollar.
The dollar is valued as a referendum by the NFL on how it conducts its business. "Protect the shield" is the mantra about their ethics. Poor decisions or bad publicity by players cuts into the almighty revenue stream. So you are both correct.

D

Deleted member 6794

The idea that you classify 20 TD's to 5 INT's in the 1st half of the season as "awful", and 16 TD's to 2 INT's in the second half of the season as just "good" is laughable. I would classify it more as "good" and "great", but that's just me.

The only reason there has been this myth about Rodgers playing bad is because the team wasn't winning. During the 4 game losing streak, the defense was giving up over 38 points per game, and on the season the team is 9-1 when we hold the opponent to under 30 points.

If we would have went 7-3 rather than 4-6, all of the silly talk about Rodgers playing "awful" simply wouldn't have ever been talked about. Rodgers played well enough to win those games, minus the Minnesota game. That was on him.

Rodgers already has 40 total touchdowns to Brady's 25. I'm sorry, but yes. Missing a quarter of the season matters.

In the case of Bell, yes. Missing 3 games matters. It's tough for running backs to win MVP as it is, playing a full 16 games, and even in the case of Peterson in 2012, it took coming within 8 yards of the all time rushing record to get that honor. With LT in 2006, he had 31 total TD's. Shaun Alexander in 2005 had 28 total touchdowns. Marshall Faulk in 1999 had over 2,400 all purpose yards. 1000+ rushing, 1000+ receiving.

I'm sorry, but 9 TD's and less than 1900 total yards isn't outstanding enough as a back to win the MVP.

And when we are talking about "Most Valuable Player", put the stats aside, which favor Rodgers. Without Brady, the Patriots were 3-1, and I would argue that they would have been 4-0 if Jimmy G doesn't get hurt. Take Rodgers off this team. Who do we beat? What single opponent on our schedule this year would we beat without Rodgers?

Aaron Rodgers is the most valuable player in football and could probably win the award every year, the same way LeBron deserves MVP every year in the NBA. Only this year, Rodgers has the stats to back it up, comparable to his other MVP campaigns in 11 and 14.

All of this being said? I still would give Matt Ryan the MVP over Rodgers, but I certainly wouldn't give it to Brady. And wouldn't give a second of thoughtful consideration to Bell.

There's no denying Rodgers struggled early this season completing only 56.1% of his passes during the first four games while compiling a passer rating of only 87.7 over that span. He returned to form once the Packers started to use a ball control, short passing offense but in my opinion too late to justify MVP consideration.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
There's no denying Rodgers struggled early this season completing only 56.1% of his passes during the first four games while compiling a passer rating of only 87.7 over that span. He returned to form once the Packers started to use a ball control, short passing offense but in my opinion too late to justify MVP consideration.

No No No ... that is not possible ! Rodgers always Plays good/Great ... it's always the coaches or other players fault ... ;)

Reaction score
That's where I sit too. If he played as well in the first 8 games as he did in his last it would be a slam dunk. As it sits right now I would give it to Matt Ryan, he's had a good season. As good as Brady is, I don't think you should be in the conversation if you miss a quarter of the season

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron gets over matt ryan to me, The adversity he dealt with. He played with a pulled Hammy he played with a pulled calf muscle with out no running game. Matt ryan has coleman and freeman not trying to take anything from Ryan's good season. What Arod did this season with this team i dont think another QB could do the same. Rodgers MVP

Members online

Latest posts