The Beer Sport

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I just learned that the variety of types of hops flavors alone, is huge.

Hops play a major part in both flavors and aromas. There are so many different breeds of hops that give off different flavors and aromas such as flowery, estery, fruity, bitter, piney, etc. Yeast also plays a factor in the flavors of a beer... as does the malts and water suprisingly. There is a chemical composition to water that is vastly different from Burton Upon Trent to Prague that affects the flavor of beer and their respective beer styles.

Never said this before because for me it's not a big deal. I am a Certified Beer Judge with the BJCP program. I had to study all the science and arts of brewing which made me a better brewer. The test to become a certified beer judge and judge competitions is not easy.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I can`t stand that "Grapefruity" flavoured hop. It`s disgusting !!

So weird sir... considering you are a Limey, figured you love the grapefruity flavors as a natural instinct.

*Slowly steps away from the microphone to go hide in the corner of my favorite bar in Bamberg*

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But beer has thousands of flavors.

Precisely. This is why you don't need a sausage or a chocolate or a strawberry in it. Between the hops/yeast and whether it's an lager or ale or stout you have all the combinations you need to drink for a lifetime and more.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Precisely. This is why you don't need a sausage or a chocolate or a strawberry in it. Between the hops/yeast and whether it's an lager or ale or stout you have all the combinations you need to drink for a lifetime and more.

Precisely my point on Rauchbier (smokey beer). The malt is smoked as a natural process of malting. There is no sausage or strawberry in the beer. It's a natural flavor from the malt (beer). Its natural for a beer that was brewed 500 years ago. It's just dedication to beer history. No added flavors for smokey beer.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
In smoked beer there is ONLY malt, hops, yeast and water... just like any other beer including Bud, Guiness, and a German Pils.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Bundesbiers; You once mentioned that the term "buttery" is not good regarding beer. The Craft Brew guy we went to see last week let us taste from one of the barrels that had become "buttery". NOW I see what it means. Blech. He said he might be able to fix that batch in that barrel. I thought that was interesting. I asked him how, and he went into an explanation that I didn't understand. But it was cool learning about the process.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Bundesbiers; You once mentioned that the term "buttery" is not good regarding beer. The Craft Brew guy we went to see last week let us taste from one of the barrels that had become "buttery". NOW I see what it means. Blech. He said he might be able to fix that batch in that barrel. I thought that was interesting. I asked him how, and he went into an explanation that I didn't understand. But it was cool learning about the process.

Yes... buttery is blech. And there is no fix for it except dump it down the drain... It cannot be fixed. My stance still stands if you had a beer in Germany you thought was "buttery", I still imagine it was a smooth creaminess and not buttery. The buttery flavor is awful and bad craftsmanship of beer.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
And there is no way to fix a buttery beer (proper term Diacetyl) unless you throw a bunch of fruit into it... but yet the Diacetyl is still prevalent. Best to throw that beer away

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Precisely my point on Rauchbier (smokey beer). The malt is smoked as a natural process of malting. There is no sausage or strawberry in the beer. It's a natural flavor from the malt (beer). Its natural for a beer that was brewed 500 years ago. It's just dedication to beer history. No added flavors for smokey beer.

Ah, didn't realize the topic was on smoky beers. Thought there was a sausage flavoured beer. My bad.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Ah, didn't realize the topic was on smoky beers. Thought there was a sausage flavoured beer. My bad.

No worries sir... Even the local German doesn't like it, he just didn't grow up in Frankischeland. Its not his fault. But the "Smokiness" imparts a sausage flavor... even tho its flavor is directly from the smoked malt and not sausage.

We have saying's here in Bamberg...

"Gott Sei Dank
I'm a Frank"

Translated in English (But with German Pronounciation)

Thank God
I'm Frankische. (Got Zee Dank, I'm a Fraaaaaaaank).

And the best in the Rank is to be OberFraaaaaaank.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yes... buttery is blech. And there is no fix for it except dump it down the drain... It cannot be fixed. My stance still stands if you had a beer in Germany you thought was "buttery", I still imagine it was a smooth creaminess and not buttery. The buttery flavor is awful and bad craftsmanship of beer.

Smooth creaminess is a real good way to describe that beer in Lutherstadt-Wittenberg.

I think the craft brewer we saw was indeed going to add a bunch of fruit to it. You are spot on.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
No worries sir... Even the local German doesn't like it, he just didn't grow up in Frankischeland. Its not his fault. But the "Smokiness" imparts a sausage flavor... even tho its flavor is directly from the smoked malt and not sausage.

We have saying's here in Bamberg...

"Gott Sei Dank
I'm a Frank"

Translated in English (But with German Pronounciation)

Thank God
I'm Frankische. (Got Zee Dank, I'm a Fraaaaaaaank).

And the best in the Rank is to be OberFraaaaaaank.
I plead guilty as I'm living in paganic, northern Germany ! :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats true, but still tastes like the Wieners from my local butcher around the corner :p;)
But could be worse, the Lambic fruit style beers from Belgium are awful. Or just think of Berliner Weisse mit Schuss. On the other hand - from time to time I like to have a chocolate stout. :oops: