Burnes, Adamas and Williams in 2024

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well, the Crew avoid arbitration on 3 anyway. A new manager ... and a good number of my favorites gone - it'll be an interesting season to be sure. I am going to miss Woody, that's a "fer shur" - I guess we were going to miss him anyway as he'd be re-habbing thru all of '24, but still.

Burnes' 2023 was a huge disappointment to me. I had speculated he was still pissed about the Crew shorting him about a 3/4 million per year in arbitration last year:

"Burnes lost his arbitration hearing last year and said afterward “there’s no denying that the relationship is definitely hurt."

The 29-year-old right-hander agreed to his latest deal after going 10-8 with a 3.39 ERA and 200 strikeouts in 193 2/3 innings to help the Brewers win the NL Central title.

Last year, Burnes was awarded $10.01 million rather than his $10.75 million request.

“You think you work hard for seven years in the organization, and five years with the big-league team, and you get in there and basically they value you much different than what you thought you’d contributed to the organization,” Burnes told reporters at spring training after the hearing. “They won it. But when it came down to winning or losing the hearing, it was more than that for me.”"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t you want an arbitrary person to see if your worth more?

wouldn’t you want an arbitrary person to see if you don’t have to pay your employees more?

I would on both sides

not sure why he got pissed

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Wouldn’t you want an arbitrary person to see if your worth more?

wouldn’t you want an arbitrary person to see if you don’t have to pay your employees more?

I would on both sides

not sure why he got pissed
Pro athletes are by and large different birds - "...the more you pay me, the more you "respect" me." It's almost more like "You need to pay me more than I'm worth to show your respect". Well, Burnes had a subpar year last season and he didn't offer to give some of it back.

I had an employee years ago who actually used this line on me during an employee review: "Pay me more, and, I'll do more". The same guy who was told that his written training module (banking law coursework) had to be done by a Monday morning. He came in that Monday morning with his skis still on top of the car talking about what a great weekend he had. He had a lot of time for skiing after 10:30 a.m. going forward.