The Amari Rodgers Thread

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron still doesn’t seem to have any trust in Amari. Not a great sign for a third round draft pick in his second year.

“Yeah, he’s returning for us now,” the quarterback had replied during his usual Wednesday Q&A session with reporters as the Packers prepared for Sunday night’s home opener against the Chicago Bears.

As they waited awkwardly while expecting him to expound on his answer, he simply added, “That’s all I got on it.”

The undercurrent of the quarterback’s dismissive answer was impossible to miss: He doesn’t trust the 2021 third-round pick from Clemson and doesn’t mind a bit that Amari Rodgers isn’t part of the current on-field wide receiver rotation.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't believe that Amari is our best option at punt returning. He's learned to catch the ball and can run ahead for 10 yards when the punt is long...but that's about it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't believe that Amari is our best option at punt returning. He's learned to catch the ball and can run ahead for 10 yards when the punt is long...but that's about it.
Agree. He's really pretty awful. They brought is someone (Moore?) who was much better. Amari just seems frozen in the NFL. I gotta believe he showed a lot more at Clemson, but never actually watched him play.....

Reaction score
Agree. He's really pretty awful. They brought is someone (Moore?) who was much better. Amari just seems frozen in the NFL. I gotta believe he showed a lot more at Clemson, but never actually watched him play.....
Some guys just don’t transition. I don’t know why that is with Amari.
It’s perplexing because a 3rd Round WR normally has pretty good production in this system by Year 2. It’s still early though. He might get more work as the season develops?

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some guys just don’t transition. I don’t know why that is with Amari.
It’s perplexing because a 3rd Round WR normally has pretty good production in this system by Year 2. It’s still early though. He might get more work as the season develops?
Well I hope he lives up to his billing. A WR coming out of a program like Clemson, hell any player coming out of a program like Clemson, should be pretty good. But yeah, some guys don't transition.

That said, I thought the same about Ty Montgomery. But he's still playing and producing (Baltimore?). So let's hope Amari Rodgers can step up.

Reaction score
Well I hope he lives up to his billing. A WR coming out of a program like Clemson, hell any player coming out of a program like Clemson, should be pretty good. But yeah, some guys don't transition.

That said, I thought the same about Ty Montgomery. But he's still playing and producing (Baltimore?). So let's hope Amari Rodgers can step up.
I always thought Ty Montgomery was a good selection. I know he did take some blame on a fumble, but overall he produced more like you’d expect. There’s been a few 3rd round Montgomery’s that did well in the NFL. Ty and David come to mind

We could’ve done better than Amari. Who knows maybe he’ll price himself later this season. If not? We need to go draft a good Slot WR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Ty Montgomery was a good selection. I know he did take some blame on a fumble, but overall he produced more like you’d expect. There’s been a few Montgomery’s that did well in the NFL.
Well on that play you referenced he took a kickoff out of the end zone when he was told to down it. And he fumbled and turned it over. It was disrespect for then HC MM and it ended Montgomery's time in GB. He found a better place and it worked out for all. He certainly produced more in GB than Amari Rodgers has. Montgomery at least confirmed his potential. Rodgers hasn't come close to that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Aaron's comments on Amari makes me believe he's closer to getting waived than on the field on offense.

Montgomery currently plays for the Patriots and had their lone touchdown in the loss to the Dolphins. He was put on injured reserve with a knee injury this week though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron's comments on Amari makes me believe he's closer to getting waived than on the field on offense.

Montgomery currently plays for the Patriots and had their lone touchdown in the loss to the Dolphins. He was put on injured reserve with a knee injury this week though.
It was only one game, but I haven't seen any on-field improvement from Amari R. I don't know why they have him as a returner when he seems so one-dimensional. Last year another guy (Moore?) had much better results. They can't afford to carry a WR who can't get open or return kicks.

Thanks for the update on Montgomery. I seem to recall he was hurt a lot in GB as well. Seems like a long time ago.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Monty is he was a natural RB playing WR who hadn't taken RB hits. So once he was thrust into his new role at RB he took a beating. Looks like that's still the case. He was a good jackknife player for us on offense who probably shouldn't have been returning kicks to begin with and basically became obsolete once Jones emerged. I have trouble believing that Jones didn't look better than Jamaal or Ty right off the hop.

IMO Amari's two big problems are: he has Cobb in front of him on the depth chart, and he's not Rodgers best friend like Cobb is.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Monty is he was a natural RB playing WR who hadn't taken RB hits. So once he was thrust into his new role at RB he took a beating. Looks like that's still the case. He was a good jackknife player for us on offense who probably shouldn't have been returning kicks to begin with and basically became obsolete once Jones emerged. I have trouble believing that Jones didn't look better than Jamaal or Ty right off the hop.

IMO Amari's two big problems are: he has Cobb in front of him on the depth chart, and he's not Rodgers best friend like Cobb is.
Yeah those are some big problems for Amari R.........

And I remember Montgomery drafted as a WR and then converted to a RB, without having experienced and dealt with the punishment RBs get. Funny because they're doing it in SF with Deebo Samuel and it's working, for now. Samuel is one big dude, so maybe this will work. But he was drafted as a WR as well.

It's analogous to the running QB. Eventually these guys take just too many hits at the pro level that they never experienced in college. They don't last.

NcNabb, RGIII, Vick, Vince Williams, and on and on. Russell Wilson is the only one to thrive, and he counts much more on his arm. My guess is that Josh Allen in Buffalo is gonna get whacked big time at some point this year. Now he's huge - 6'5" and like 240 or 250 lbs - built like a TE. But he's a QB and he refuses to slide. Eventually some head-hunting corner or safety is gonna put some hurt on him. At a minimum, he should learn to slide. Anyway, just a prediction. With a SB looming in his head, Allen is not gonna last the whole season. Or he'll miss time.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah those are some big problems for Amari R.........

And I remember Montgomery drafted as a WR and then converted to a RB, without having experienced and dealt with the punishment RBs get. Funny because they're doing it in SF with Deebo Samuel and it's working, for now. Samuel is one big dude, so maybe this will work. But he was drafted as a WR as well.

It's analogous to the running QB. Eventually these guys take just too many hits at the pro level that they never experienced in college. They don't last.

NcNabb, RGIII, Vick, Vince Williams, and on and on. Russell Wilson is the only one to thrive, and he counts much more on his arm. My guess is that Josh Allen in Buffalo is gonna get whacked big time at some point this year. Now he's huge - 6'5" and like 240 or 250 lbs - built like a TE. But he's a QB and he refuses to slide. Eventually some head-hunting corner or safety is gonna put some hurt on him. At a minimum, he should learn to slide. Anyway, just a prediction. With a SB looming in his head, Allen is not gonna last the whole season. Or he'll miss time.

That would be a shame as it looks like a crazy AFC championship is possibly brewing between Mahomes and Allen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a shame as it looks like a crazy AFC championship is possibly brewing between Mahomes and Allen.
Well I certainly hope he stays healthy because, yeah, Mahomes v Allen is a game I wanna see. And maybe I'm wrong. He's still young and strong but he seems careless, invincible. He's not.

Anyway that would/will be a helluva game.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was only one game, but I haven't seen any on-field improvement from Amari R. I don't know why they have him as a returner when he seems so one-dimensional. Last year another guy (Moore?) had much better results. They can't afford to carry a WR who can't get open or return kicks.

Amari didn't even get on the field on offense.

Amari's biggest issue is that it seems his talent doesn't translate to the pro level. Otherwise he would have moved past Cobb on the depth chart and earned Rodgers trust by now.

NcNabb, RGIII, Vick, Vince Williams, and on and on.

McNabb and Vick both played 13 years in the league. I have never heard of a quarterback named Vince Williams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari didn't even get on the field on offense.

Amari's biggest issue is that it seems his talent doesn't translate to the pro level. Otherwise he would have moved past Cobb on the depth chart and earned Rodgers trust by now.

McNabb and Vick both played 13 years in the league. I have never heard of a quarterback named Vince Williams.
Oops, Vince Young. Thanks for the correction.

As for McNabb and Vick, it would be interesting to see their rushing yardage each of these 13 years. I'm sure it declined with age and they stopped taking too many hits as their careers lengthened. I'm also sure they were hurt while running at some point(s) in their careers and missed games.

But I'll stick with my prediction on Allen. He'll miss a game or game(s) at some point this year.

As for Amari Rodgers...... why is he taking up a roster spot? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Amari get on the field as a receiver against the Bears? I think this guy is toast. I'd rather roll the dice with Toure.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for McNabb and Vick, it would be interesting to see their rushing yardage each of these 13 years. I'm sure it declined with age and they stopped taking too many hits as their careers lengthened. I'm also sure they were hurt while running at some point(s) in their careers and missed games.

You're right that both McNabb and Vick had significantly more rushing yards early in their career. Here's a look at their totals:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Did Amari get on the field as a receiver against the Bears? I think this guy is toast. I'd rather roll the dice with Toure.

Amari played one snap on offense but wasn't targeted.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had ball security issues again as the return man on 2 plays again last night. It's getting to be a trend. He needs to start showing growth and improvement and consistency. Other guys have been pretty loose with the ball early in their careers and fixed it. He needs to, and fast or someone is going to take his return spot. Might be different if he showed more dynamics in his returns, but so far, they've been rather mundane from a return perspective. They only get exciting when you factor in the "who's going to screw up" or "will he muff or fumble it" aspect, and that's not what you want :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had ball security issues again as the return man on 2 plays again last night. It's getting to be a trend. He needs to start showing growth and improvement and consistency. Other guys have been pretty loose with the ball early in their careers and fixed it. He needs to, and fast or someone is going to take his return spot. Might be different if he showed more dynamics in his returns, but so far, they've been rather mundane from a return perspective. They only get exciting when you factor in the "who's going to screw up" or "will he muff or fumble it" aspect, and that's not what you want :)
It is amazing how big a role momentum can play in a game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right that both McNabb and Vick had significantly more rushing yards early in their career. Here's a look at their totals:

Amari played one snap on offense but wasn't targeted.
Somehow I knew you'd have those stats. Thanks.

I predicted Allen would lose time from a running injury. Turns out it was Trey Lance. Now he's not built like Allen, but next season, he'll think twice before taking off. Even though it's the Niners, I don't like to see a guy lose a season so early in the season and his career. Likewise, I hope I'm wrong about Allen. Well, maybe not when they play the Packers. ;)

Different topic but I wanted your input. I was optimistic about the WR group before the season. Not now. I expect Doubs and Watson will get fewer snaps to begin, but they were playing the Bears last night. It seemed like it was all Watkins with a healthy dose of Cobb. Anyway it's shaping up badly. As the schedule gets harder, starting next week, I'm concerned that if Watkins or Cobb went down, we'd have nothing but Lazard - and it remains to be seem if he can be more than a #3, or if he's recovered from his injury. Just curious what you think.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that 20 yard return last night is the first time I remember him getting more than five yards, or a fair catch. and then he fumbles..... There have to be better returners out there, or on the team. Rodgers is just not making the jump to the NFL, 3rd round pick or not.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or anybody with two good arms and two good hands. Amari has had his chances and he's just not cutting it. If STs is supposed to be improved, they gotta look hard at the return part. I can't imagine Bisaccia putting up with this. But maybe it's not his decision, which would suck. They pay him a LOT.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that 20 yard return last night is the first time I remember him getting more than five yards, or a fair catch. and then he fumbles..... There have to be better returners out there, or on the team. Rodgers is just not making the jump to the NFL, 3rd round pick or not.

Nothing special but Amari Rodgers in 2021 averaged 8.3 yard per return for 2021 and 18.1 on kickoffs.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has never displayed the explosiveness, quickness, creativity and decision-making that are typical of elite returners. I hoped the reports of his weight loss and increased focus on these very things over the off-season would have paid more dividends. Alas ..........

Members online

Latest posts