The Amari Rodgers Thread

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
First, he has the talent to be good (I won't make any judgements on a rookie receiver until AFTER their third season). Second, anything coaches say this time of year about a player is complete BS and should be ignored completely.
Not necessarily, however it requires some reading between the lines, reading body language of the coach, and listening very closely for what isn't said.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't even bother reading articles like that at this time of year. When someone says "this guy is a wasted pick. He falls asleep in meetings, his hands are terrible and he hits on half of the guys on the teams wives" I will then believe what I read.
Lol, you'll never hear that out of our coaches because that kind of guy is already out the door and off the roster.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much revisionist history regarding the early part of Davante's career. Here is a reminder:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

These are his ROOKIE highlights. He is beating professional DBs, making huge plays against top defenses like the Patriots and in PLAYOFF GAMES. Davante showed legitimate, explosive ability in his first year on the scene.

I am unsure the universe in which this is remotely comparable to what we've seen from Rodgers, but it's not at all analogous. Please stop with this comparison.

I don't understand why people feel the need to get defensive about some of these players. They were clearly erroneous picks, which happen. If you think I'm wrong, then go ahead and say that and we will see who is right in a year's time.

Based on the only empirical evidence we have (film), both Rodgers and Love can't play in the league. There is zero evidence to suggest that they can, so I'm calling it like I see it. No need to get defensive about them, because time will prove me correct, if it has not already.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much revisionist history regarding the early part of Davante's career. Here is a reminder:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

These are his ROOKIE highlights. He is beating professional DBs, making huge plays against top defenses like the Patriots and in PLAYOFF GAMES. Davante showed legitimate, explosive ability in his first year on the scene.

I am unsure the universe in which this is remotely comparable to what we've seen from Rodgers, but it's not at all analogous. Please stop with this comparison.

I don't understand why people feel the need to get defensive about some of these players. They were clearly erroneous picks, which happen. If you think I'm wrong, then go ahead and say that and we will see who is right in a year's time.

Based on the only empirical evidence we have (film), both Rodgers and Love can't play in the league. There is zero evidence to suggest that they can, so I'm calling it like I see it. No need to get defensive about them, because time will prove me correct, if it has not already.

You're wrong for judging a receiver after his rookie season.

Reaction score
In Adams’ first 2 seasons:
-55% catch rate
-Didn’t break 500 yard mark per season. <1,000 yards in 2 full seasons combined.

-averaged 1 TD every 8 games over first 2 seasons.

- averaged a poor to pedestrian level 10.7 yards per catch in 2014, 2015

That’s likely why he began to take heat from some fans. Anyone in here has watched enough football to know #17 did not have an exceptional start as you’re insinuating. You’re using the best WR in football and that’s a great example of starting slow.

Be patient. If a player is going to fail he doesn’t need our help speaking their demise into existence before they’ve even had ample opportunity. Many WR’s or QB’s need several seasons to gain momentum, Amari and Jordan are no exception.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expected him to do more in year 1, but I definitely haven't lost faith. He reminds me of Deebo. I hope he doesn't make me look like an idiot for saying that.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Adams’ first 2 seasons:
-55% catch rate
-Didn’t break 500 yard mark per season. <1,000 yards in 2 full seasons combined.

-averaged 1 TD every 8 games over first 2 seasons.

- averaged a poor to pedestrian level 10.7 yards per catch in 2014, 2015

That’s likely why he began to take heat from some fans. Anyone in here has watched enough football to know #17 did not have an exceptional start as you’re insinuating. You’re using the best WR in football and that’s a great example of starting slow.

Be patient. If a player is going to fail he doesn’t need our help speaking their demise into existence before they’ve even had ample opportunity. Many WR’s or QB’s need several seasons to gain momentum, Amari and Jordan are no exception.

You disregarded my entire point and my entire post lol

I don't care about stats.

Watch the video. Did Amari do anything even remotely near as impactful or noticeable?

No, and that is the only point.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't call for his head. You are right. He deserves his chance. But if he can't hang by halfway through the season; I would try and trade him and if not, cut him. By hanging I only mean contributing some w/o having negative impacts. He doesn't have to be a world beater.

Reaction score

Watch the video. Did Amari do anything even remotely near as impactful or noticeable?

Yeah, ok Adams had natural talent and good moves in his highlights. We’re not here to say he didn’t have great feet etc..
that said.. If we showed you his “lowlights” in his rookie season we’d probably be just as discouraged.

We can pick Adams to compare to Amari, but that’s an unfair example as he’s coming off career highs. Our emotions are attached to Adams full career… with an All Pro season 8 years later, but I’d argue that’s not an accurate way to evaluate 1 Rookie season.

I want to get your fair evaluation. In the format of a “Draft letter grade” what would you have put on Davante after his Sophomore campaign?? Do your best to put yourself back in time at the end of the 2015 season before he became the best WR in the NFL etc..
What letter grade would you give him after that 2015 season? Factor in his draft placing also.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, ok Adams had natural talent and good moves in his highlights. We’re not here to say he didn’t have great feet etc..
that said.. If we showed you his “lowlights” in his rookie season we’d probably be just as discouraged.

We can pick Adams to compare to Amari, but that’s an unfair example as he’s coming off career highs. Our emotions are attached to Adams full career… with an All Pro season 8 years later, but I’d argue that’s not a fair way to evaluate 1 Rookie season.

I want to get your fair evaluation. In the format of a “Draft letter grade” what would you have put on Davante after his Sophomore campaign?? Do your best to put yourself back in time at the end of the 2015 season before he became the best WR in the NFL etc..
What letter grade would you give him after that 2015 season? Factor in his draft placing also.
This post inspired me to go back into the deep recesses of the forum to refresh my memory on posters behavior during Adam's second season.

What a fun read that was! Lol

Reaction score
This post inspired me to go back into the deep recesses of the forum to refresh my memory on posters behavior during Adam's second season.

What a fun read that was! Lol
Which thread were you in?
Sounds fun!

I’m curious. Not a setup and I won’t grade your grade if you will.

After reading those comments what would’ve been an early draft evaluation of Adams. Say Rookie season or after his Sophomore campaign.
In a sense of being more objective and what draft letter grade do you think was consensus in here after Davante’s first 1-2 seasons?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante Adams had 66 targets in 738 snaps his rookie year. That's a fair amount. Enough to see some good things along with the bad.

Amari Rodgers had 8 targets on 103 snaps. There's not a heck of a lot you can show, good or bad, with 8 targets. If he would have had 66 we probably would have seen some nifty things as well. Instead he had 8. If anyone claims to know he will be a bust after a rookie year with 8 targets that person should probably be a GM. Preferably with the Bears or vikings because they probably have their head up their A**

Those are stats but they are also opportunities. If players don't get the opportunity its hard to show what they can do.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
No consensus at that time. Probably a C- or D+ average after his 2nd year. I bumped the old thread up to top.

Reaction score
Does he have any route running ability at all? And has he ever caught a ball in traffic? I swear, every time a defender is within a yard of him he just flubs the catch.
Oh my my. I had to do this for fun! This was Page 1 of 11 pages and it gets worse! :roflmao:
Wasting a roster space.

Honestly, I am beginning to agree with this. Adams route running is horrible. He lollygags around out there and its almost as if hes not going all out on every route. He also seems to quit on some plays (pass or not) - Its almost like he isn't trying hard. He also has bad hands and drops a lot of passes. He also plays slower than his 40 time.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Adams. WR is one position that *SHOULD* make big strides in year two. But I'm not seeing it with Adams.

This is infuriating. He was a high draft pick and looks like he was picked off of the undrafted free agent scrap heap. We could have a true receiver like Allen Robinson who Rodgers could continue to build chemistry with. Then he followed that pick with the slowest TE in the league. Thompson is terrible at drafting skill players in the lower rounds.

WR is going to be a position of need headed into the offseason, even WITH Jordy coming back next year.

If he had a high motor and winning attitude instead of looking like he is sleepwalking half the time then acting like a sour **** when he drops a ball and tries to blame someone else instead of shouldering the blame, then it would be different.

He is averaging 10 yards per catch with 0 TDs. That might be good enough for the 2014 Chiefs, but those are horrific stats for a starter.

Jarrett Boykin 2.0

Why doesn't this staff make moves and change things? Most NFL teams when they see a problem they fix it immediately.

Adams will be the next Boykin. A good few games. Then nothing

Really hoped we would see some progression by now so this is really unsettling. Hopefully he gets it together or he might not make it to the second contract.

Adams has been a major disappointment this season, especially after all the praise he got from Rodgers and the coaching staff this offseason.

Personally, I'm fed up with Adams and all of his crap. I hope it doesn't take the powers that be another 3 years to realize he ain't all that.

Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief, and Martavis Bryant were all taken immediately after Adams or in the next round or two. All would be fantastic upgrades to Adams.

I wouldn't mind seeing him spend more time on the bench for now, but I am not ready to be rid of him now. He's fighting thru something, I don't remember his hands being this bad

We are running out of O'lineman maybe Adams for 2 more lineman

Dude has bricks for hands

I was a tad bit annoyed when he whined for a PI this last game. He cost us a personal foul with his tantrums 2 weeks ago. Dude needs to catch the damn ball before anyone (refs, teammates, opposition, fans) gives you the respect that you think you deserve!

Reaction score
No consensus at that time. Probably a C- or D+ average after his 2nd year. I bumped the old thread up to top.
I got a good chuckle and couldn’t make it through his first 2 pages! Thank you! That is just too funny !!

This is how the best WR in the league started. Let’s just honest with ourselves. We all suck at player evaluations!!j
Myself included!!! :laugh::roflmao::cry::cry:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I expected him to do more in year 1, but I definitely haven't lost faith. He reminds me of Deebo. I hope he doesn't make me look like an idiot for saying that.
You said this about Davante in his thread
There's not enough potential for him to be more than just a solid 3rd receiver IMO. I hoped that since Thompson drafted this loser instead of a more talented receiver, he could be like a poor man's Boldin , but he can't catch or make big plays when it counts. It's clear that as a #1 guy, he's garbage.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Paddle hands
This kind of yakyak was still going on throughout the off season and into training camp if I remember correctly. Some fans are so incredibly fickle and have no patience when it comes to young players.

The oddest thing about the Adams story is that in some NFL cities, he probably would've been cut and had to try again somewhere else.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And Adams looked lost as well…James Jones barely could open and had canoe paddles for hands….it is naive to believe a player can be judged until about year three and most likely after three.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Adams looked lost as well…James Jones barely could open and had canoe paddles for hands….it is naive to believe a player can be judged until about year three and most likely after three.
Maybe, but I don't think you can hold on to someone just because he was drafted higher than someone else. He's gotta show something. 3 years seems too long to me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but I don't think you can hold on to someone just because he was drafted higher than someone else. He's gotta show something. 3 years seems too long to me.

You don’t hold on to someone that is worthless or shows no promise, but it is ignorant to believe you can project or know about a player this early. Staff will move on quick if they see nothing in a draft pick if needed - but rookie skill players take some time usually.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts