The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

He’s a master of the game. That’s why, IMO, bringing in a WR high in the draft and expecting them to put up 1,000 yards isn’t reasonable. It takes time. It took Adams 3 years before he was really clicking. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t draft a WR, they should, it’s just to set expectations.

The Packers don't need a rookie to have 1,000 receiving yards this season but to provide another reliable target for Rodgers. An early round pick should be able to accomplish that.

Once again, while it took Adams three years to put up decent numbers you have to realize that he was third on the depth chart in 2014 behind elite receivers in Nelson and Cobb and was hampered by injuries during his second season.

Rodgers requiring guys to read his mind holds this offense back...especially in this late stage in his career. there's no time to build that anymore. leave that to adams. besides taking what the defense gives him he should take what his WR's can give also.

The wide receivers don't have to read Rodgers' mind but be on the same page with him based on the playbook and audibles that are practiced in detail every single week leading up to a game.

It's not surprising that you blame Rodgers for the WRs not putting in the effort necessary or having the smarts to function in the offense though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you do have to admit, being able to read minds would sure come in handy when you haven’t taken the time to learn the offense in the first place and have a QB that would know your responsibilities for you lol

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But you do have to admit, being able to read minds would sure come in handy when you haven’t taken the time to learn the offense in the first place and have a QB that would know your responsibilities for you lol

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The Packers don't need a rookie to have 1,000 receiving yards this season but to provide another reliable target for Rodgers. An early round pick should be able to accomplish that.

Once again, while it took Adams three years to put up decent numbers you have to realize that he was third on the depth chart in 2014 behind elite receivers in Nelson and Cobb and was hampered by injuries during his second season.

The wide receivers don't have to read Rodgers' mind but be on the same page with him based on the playbook and audibles that are practiced in detail every single week leading up to a game.

It's not surprising that you blame Rodgers for the WRs not putting in the effort necessary or having the smarts to function in the offense though.
Yeah the WRs, RBs, OL, TEs all need to 1) know the playbook, 2) know the game plan for an opponent, 3) learn any adjustments made during the week for a particular opponent. They don’t need to “read Roidgers’ mind”. They need to do what they get paid for.

Also, I wasn’t suggesting a rookie WR needed to put up 1,000 yards this year, although I’d take it. And yes, Adams was playing for time behind Nelson and Cobb, fighting through injuries, and maturing a bit. He’s come through remarkably.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are using "reading mind" a bit liberal here. A guy getting paid close to a million dollars or more a year and wants to excel at his job, should be able learn his playbook as well as the audibles. The chemistry between Rodgers and Adams is just an added bonus when it comes to knowing what the other will do when things break down.

So you are saying that from here on out, Rodgers should think like a Rookie QB that can't read a defense, can't call an audible based on the defense or expect his receivers to do any of that as well? Your expectations are far too low. ;)
they know they playbook. they know the audible. they run the route. it's the rodgers sees something and gives the wr a look thing. jordy, cobb, and now adams have that. the others don't. adams is all there is now. rodgers shouldn't get disgusted when a wr runs his route as it's designed. these guys aren't the big-buck makers. he should lower his expectations and be willing to throw to these guys more. they're getting open...at least initially.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they know they playbook. they know the audible. they run the route. it's the rodgers sees something and gives the wr a look thing. jordy, cobb, and now adams have that. the others don't. adams is all there is now. rodgers shouldn't get disgusted when a wr runs his route as it's designed. these guys aren't the big-buck makers. he should lower his expectations and be willing to throw to these guys more. they're getting open...at least initially.

It's amazingly how consistently wrong you are all the time.

D

Deleted member 6794

rodgers shouldn't get disgusted when a wr runs his route as it's designed. he should lower his expectations and be willing to throw to these guys more. they're getting open...at least initially.

I'm convinced that Rodgers doesn't criticize wide receivers running the designed route. He has earned the right to call out one of them who fails to do his job because of a lack of preparation though.

For the umpteenth time, it's a myth that Rodgers doesn't throw to inexperienced WRs as proven by targeting Lazard 52 times over the last 11 games in 2019.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
t's a myth that Rodgers doesn't throw to inexperienced WRs as proven by targeting Lazard 52 times over the last 11 games in 2019.
He likes Lazard though, they sit next to each other in meetings or whatever. I'm not taking a side in this, but I just don't think he makes the best example.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced that Rodgers doesn't criticize wide receivers running the designed route. He has earned the right to call out one of them who fails to do his job because of a lack of preparation though.

For the umpteenth time, it's a myth that Rodgers doesn't throw to inexperienced WRs as proven by targeting Lazard 52 times over the last 11 games in 2019.
And Lazard is an UDFA, right? The guys that put in the homework and practice like it matters will get noticed and rewarded.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And Lazard is an UDFA, right? The guys that put in the homework and practice like it matters will get noticed and rewarded.

Yes and I think they all have to develop and continually work on their skills once they make it to the NFL. We have seen quite a few mid to late round picks and UDFA WR's come through Green Bay during Rodgers time. As many players as other teams have seen? Probably. Are they not making it in Green Bay because of Rodgers? I don't think that is the case, otherwise we would see some of these guys that didn't make it in Green Bay hooking up with other teams and being successful. I haven't really seen that happen. They aren't making it in Green Bay because they either came to Green Bay with marginal skills that didn't improve or they just couldn't study or work hard enough on their skills to cut it or a combination of both.

Some seem to want to say that Rodgers is the problem and that the Jeff Janis's, Jared Abbrederis and J'Mon Moore's of the world don't make it in Green Bay because of him. Not only do I disagree, I might even try to make the argument that Rodgers might be the reason that some of them actually hung around longer in the NFL then they would have had on another team, with a lessor QB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and I think they all have to develop and continually work on their skills once they make it to the NFL. We have seen quite a few mid to late round picks and UDFA WR's come through Green Bay during Rodgers time. As many players as other teams have seen? Probably. Are they not making it in Green Bay because of Rodgers? I don't think that is the case, otherwise we would see some of these guys that didn't make it in Green Bay hooking up with other teams and being successful. I haven't really seen that happen. They aren't making it in Green Bay because they either came to Green Bay with marginal skills that didn't improve or they just couldn't study or work hard enough on their skills to cut it or a combination of both.

Some seem to want to say that Rodgers is the problem and that the Jeff Janis's, Jared Abbrederis and J'Mon Moore's of the world don't make it in Green Bay because of him. Not only do I disagree, I might even try to make the argument that Rodgers might be the reason that some of them actually hung around longer in the NFL then they would have had on another team, with a lessor QB.
Yeah if Rodgers demands excellence from his teammates, it’s only because he demands the same thing of himself. The transition from college to the NFL is HUGE, and some of these guys, in particular those high on draft boards, may develop a greater sense of their own self worth. Certainly a player has to have certain physical attributes to excel at the next level. They also need to be smart, study opponents, study their own film and correct, listen to coaches and learn the damn playbook. If they develop a “chemistry” with Rodgers, that’s icing on the cake.

So all this talk about Rodgers having exacting standards - well that’s why he’s been an MVP twice, won a SB, and has already punched his ticket to the HOF. If I’m a rookie, that’s the kinda guy I want to be around. And his influence extends to the D as well. GB is fortunate to have him. Full stop.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been watching the Packers 2011 home opener against the Saints on NBCSN. The first game as defending champions. That was the game where Cobb returned a kickoff for a TD in his debut. McCarthy looked confident as can be. Packers looked unstoppable on offense (scored 42) but gave up 34 points. Rodgers looks so young, he looks like a kid. Those were promising times.

D

Deleted member 6794

He likes Lazard though, they sit next to each other in meetings or whatever. I'm not taking a side in this, but I just don't think he makes the best example.

I guess Rodgers likes Lazard because he puts in the effort necessary to be on the same page with him on game day. Therefore he makes a perfect example.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Rodgers likes Lazard because he puts in the effort necessary to be on the same page with him on game day. Therefore he makes a perfect example.
Rodgers sits next to Lazard in meetings, so he knows he's preparing. Does that mean other players aren't preparing or putting in effort? Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but aren't close to Rodgers so they're not getting the same opportunity that Rodgers has gone out of his way to give Lazard. He advocated for him to be put in, remember. That also means Rodgers put his reputation on the line to suggest he play, so he is invested in making sure Lazard is successful.

Reaction score
GB has an opportunity to add to both WR and TE by the middle of the draft (or use any means necessary to double down. .trade etc..) That would have a immediate effect on his receiving options. Add to that they should hit OL again by end of day 2 and give the man some resources. Then we will get a better look at his true body of work. I don't consider that current group in 2019 much to work with overall (unless we want to put our running game in #12's body of work) and we just took a small step back at OL. Time to put our chips in on Offense and get this ship fixed before she hits an iceburg. Small leaks sink big ships

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has an opportunity to add to both WR and TE by the middle of the draft (or use any means necessary to double down. .trade etc..) That would have a immediate effect on his receiving options.
Sounds good to me. After seeing the 2011 season opener on TV last night and Super Bowl XLV today I'm ready to see Rodgers with more weapons. Time to get this offense cooking again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers sits next to Lazard in meetings, so he knows he's preparing. Does that mean other players aren't preparing or putting in effort? Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but aren't close to Rodgers so they're not getting the same opportunity that Rodgers has gone out of his way to give Lazard. He advocated for him to be put in, remember. That also means Rodgers put his reputation on the line to suggest he play, so he is invested in making sure Lazard is successful.

Once again, I'm absolutely convinced that Rodgers went out of his way to support Lazard (I have no idea if that's true in the first place) because he put in the effort to earn the quarterback's trust.

It doesn't make any difference about serving as evidence for #12 targeting even inexperienced receivers who have the talent and knowledge of the playbook.

GB has an opportunity to add to both WR and TE by the middle of the draft (or use any means necessary to double down. .trade etc..)

Gutekunst definitely needs to address the receiving corps before the middle rounds of the draft. With rookie tight ends taking some time to have an impact in the NFL and a deep wide receiver class this year he needs to spend an early rounder on a WR.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just as I think it was fairly obvious Lazard was putting in the work therefore getting opportunity, I also think MVS was getting opportunity and it was also evident why his opportunities went down for a good in the late middle of the year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers sits next to Lazard in meetings, so he knows he's preparing. Does that mean other players aren't preparing or putting in effort? Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but aren't close to Rodgers so they're not getting the same opportunity that Rodgers has gone out of his way to give Lazard.
Once again, I'm absolutely convinced that Rodgers went out of his way to support Lazard (I have no idea if that's true in the first place) because he put in the effort to earn the quarterback's trust.
captain has the right idea. Rodgers isn't going out of his way to make sure that a receiver is successful because he plays favorites. It was obvious that Lazard did the most with his opportunity when Rodgers did advocate for him to come into the game in the comeback win against Detroit. We probably don't win the football game without it.

Doesn't mean 12 is playing favorites. It means, like the captain alluded to, that he recognizes who is putting in the work, and who is most capable of being productive for the offense.

Others had opportunities to produce. Lazard outplayed them. I don't have a problem with the quarterback rewarding production and work ethic.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't mean 12 is playing favorites.
As I said in the first place, I'm not taking sides. I just wonder if Lazard is truly putting in more effort than the other receivers or if it is just that Rodgers noticed it, maybe just through proximity. Somebody had to be given a chance, somebody needed an opportunity, because they needed more people contributing. If Lazard is really putting in more work than everybody else, then good for him. I'm just saying I don't know if he's putting in more work, because I'm not there.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

first paragraph: absolutely if they run the wrong route. lack of preparation is inexcusable. that would be on the coaches and preclude that player from being on the field.
i never said he doesn't throw to them just that he needs do more of it. take advantage of what they can do. with the high probability that this off-season is going to be abbreviated it's especially important.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As I said in the first place, I'm not taking sides. I just wonder if Lazard is truly putting in more effort than the other receivers or if it is just that Rodgers noticed it, maybe just through proximity. Somebody had to be given a chance, somebody needed an opportunity, because they needed more people contributing. If Lazard is really putting in more work than everybody else, then good for him. I'm just saying I don't know if he's putting in more work, because I'm not there.
Well the implication you made, intentional or otherwise, was that Rodgers might be giving an opportunity to Lazard that wasn't being given to other receivers.

Wide receivers not named Davante Adams:

Geronimo Allison - 638 snaps
MVS - 542 snaps
Allen Lazard - 479 snaps
Jake Kumerow - 328 snaps
Darrius Shepherd - 53 snaps (most before Lazard got an opportunity)

Shepherd in limited snaps was an absolute train wreck. He got an opportunity before Lazard and did nothing with it. Kumerow, got a lot of snaps in the offense, given where he was on the depth chart, and MVS/Allison got more snaps than Lazard, despite Lazard clearly outplaying them.

If you can honestly show me where other guys have been cheated out of an opportunity, then I'd be open to changing my stance. But other guys had plenty of opportunities.

MVS had every opportunity in the world, didn't produce.
G-Mo had every opportunity in the world, dropped balls and turnovers
Kumerow had every opportunity, performed at a decent level
Darrius Shepherd was given significant burn early on and was a train wreck.

The only difference is Allen Lazard produced.

Not seeing an issue.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
first paragraph: absolutely if they run the wrong route. lack of preparation is inexcusable. that would be on the coaches and preclude that player from being on the field.

While I can understand blaming a coach if he knows his players are totally unprepared and despite that knowledge, still puts them on the field. That is either a bad coach or one out of viable options. However, if they are on the field to begin with, I assume the coaching staff has deemed them capable? So, I am not sure why you can't just say "The receiver ran the wrong route, it was the receivers fault." You seem to want blame Rodgers and now coaches, but you don't seem to identify with the fact that a WR can actually be a big part of the problem. How many WR's that started on the Packers 53 last Sept. do you think will be on this years 53? Name those guys.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is hard for me to believe the others aren't putting in the work especially since they all have a shot at being a starting receiver. I wish (if true) that Rodgers would just play QB and not get into head games or some kind of popularity contest. If there is chemistry...well great. But that does not really happen all that much. So you have to just play football. He does complain too much.